test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Racial System, Separating Racial Appearance from Skills + New slots for Race skills

alquimistgg#0914 alquimistgg Member Posts: 133 Arc User
edited November 2021 in General Discussion (PC)
@nitocris83 @sgrantdev @eminnerdev#8159 @cryptic39#8917 @terramak @sgrantdev @lassor

Hello everyone, well first I would like to make it clear that the suggestions given are just to illustrate that it is possible to dissociate between the appearance and skills of a race, the best way to do this is not necessarily the way I am suggesting , but I really liked the idea just by imagining it, and I was excited about how rich it could be for the game.

That said, my suggestion, as I said, is to be able to choose a race without it requiring you to use your racial skills, but only as an appearance, that would happen on the breeding screen as it is today. However, racial abilities would not be added to the character in that first moment, but later on the departure of the character's progression. I will make a hypothetical example and I will explain and follow this line of reasoning to build a possible line of progression with this "New Racial System".

The system starts with a line of racial mentoring, which the player must choose based on his progression. Imagine me a level 20 warlock, and Sergeant Knox or any other NPC informs me that now I can start a special training with one of the masters that are spread over different maps, masters that will teach me everything about the history and culture of the race from him and that with effort I can learn some of his skills. In a floating menu I can choose who will be our first mentor among some options, (let's define as an example that we can only choose 3 mentor options at level 20), being Human, Dwarf and Half Orc, I choose Human and with that I am directed at a human NPC, it could even be a human NPC warlock, in this case each race would need 8 different NPCs for each class, it makes more sense if in this system of racial mentors our class influences the type of bonuses that we release, but this would already make it much more complex. Arriving there I will receive a new quest line to start releasing the human's Races, in this first moment I will only release the level 20 racial that I called the tier 1 racial. This quest line does not need to be big, but it needs a balanced challenge. After these quests I won my first race and I can equip it in my tier 1 racial slot that I released at level 20, this same idea will be repeated at levels 50 and 80, releasing slots T2 and T3 respectively, as for slots T4 and T5 I imagined a prerequisite item level for them, something like 20k and 40k, since in my example the racial T4 and T5 are Race Features and Encounters, but as I said this is just an idea to illustrate.

Still talking about prerequisites, as we have many different races with different skills, I imagined a system that will gradually release the quets of racial mentoring and that some have prerequisites such as: having a minimum amount of item level, having already released received mentoring from one or another specific race, something even more limiting initially can be put, for example, having released the human T5 racial to be able to start mentoring with Dragonborn, or even link mentoring with campaigns, for example, to release mentoring with Gith you must have completed Undermontain and the Stardock quest line, to release mentoring with Wood Elf, you must have finished Sharandar’s campaign completely (all epsodes. Many things can be adjusted to improve the player’s progression line, because even as in the example above, having chosen Human as my first mentor and ignoring Dwarf and Half Orc, I can still go back in the future to r receive this racial mentoring. The idea of ​​the system is that at some point, according to my desire to go after these mentoring, I will learn all the racial skills available, and I will equip the 5 that I want for my build.
As for the racial slots, we have a simple Tier system, which by the way would be great if it existed in the feat.
T1 slot can only be equipped with T1 Racial
T2 slot can only be equipped with Racial T2 or lower
T3 slot can only be equipped with T3 Racial or lower
T4 slot can only be equipped with T4 Racial (Race Features)
T5 slot can only be equipped with T5 Racial (Encounter)

These chosen racials are going to be based on the mentoring I have already received.

With that the initial races of character creation become only visual, Cryptic Studios will be able to monetize over dozens of races and this will not make the game pay to win, since the mentoring racials will be released with progression, but it still gives to monetize smoothly, because based on the prerequisites that some mentors may have, such as item level or completed campaign, it encourages the player they spend with the game to want to accelerate the reach of this milestone by strengthening only the pay to fast aspect monetization.
The example I gave about each class having different racial effects is something that I like very much, but as our dear old feat tree was banned precisely because it is "complex", I don't know if a mutable racial mentoring based on your class would please.
But the idea is to do like the old system of attributes where each attribute gave a different bonus according to its class, in the case of racials for example. A Dwarf racial mentoring for a Paladin can give some more defensive racials like the 5% defense itself, but if I am a warlock and I decide to get mentored by a Dwarf I can receive a 2.5% bonus in lieu of that racial defense and 2.5% critical severty, if a rogue decides to receive mentoring from a Dwarf he would receive 5% awareness, I'm just creating random bonuses to give examples, it would be interesting but much more complicated.

In the images below you can see a racial builda mounted on top of Human, Drow and Dragonborn. From Human I chose to take T1 and T5 (Encounter), Dragonborn put a T2 and Drow I enabled a T4 (Race Features) and a passive T1 but added to the T3 slot.

For this system to be more suitable we need an update on the combat HUB, adding 1 Race Encounter slot and 1 Race Features slot that is automatically filled according to the changes that are made on the power page.

I hope you liked my idea of removing the link of race from your character of racial skills, if someone has something to complement that idea, or even a different idea for the same purpose, leave it in the comments.

Here are the illustrative images of the New Racial System:

Release note:
I made some changes to my initial idea,
1 - I removed the suggestion of daily racial because I find it inconvenient because I need AP to use.
2 - I moved the Race Encounter to Tier 5 and in Tier 4 I added a slot for Race Features.
3 - I created a new image with updated HUB to add specific slots for Race Encounter and Race Features.
4 - I added some more small ideals of organization and progression to the mentoring quests.

Edit: Here are my other posts with suggestions, for those who want to check it out:

1 - REDUCTION OF RNG, PROGRESSION BARS, BESTIARY + MONETIZATION:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1258453/reduction-of-rng-progression-bars-bestiary-monetization

2 - ENCHANTMENT SYSTEM REWORK + NEW MARK SYSTEM:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1261228/enchantment-system-rework-new-mark-system

3 - NEW RACIAL SYSTEM, SEPARATING RACIAL APPEARANCE FROM SKILLS + NEW SLOTS FOR RACE SKILLS:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1260304/new-racial-system-separating-racial-appearance-from-skills-new-slots-for-race-skills

4 - ZARIEL CHALLENGE MASTER'S MOUNT, UPGRADE SUGGESTION + CONCEPTUAL ART.:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1261527/zariel-challenge-masters-mount-upgrade-suggestion-conceptual-art

5 - NEW PARAGONS, THIRD LEVEL, ADAPTIVE SKILL BASE:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1263494/new-paragons-third-level-adaptive-skill-base

Ty all
image - ALQUImist-WL@alquimistgg#0914
Post edited by alquimistgg#0914 on

Comments

• admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    Error in translation
    The change of combat directly affected the races. I believe this has already been done to have more diversity. An example of this is the last race launched in the game, which is the Assimar that is perfect only for OP. Your idea is interesting, but I believe it does not fit the system proposed by Dev, since I as DPS would choose between Gith and Tiefling and return to the abyss of old, with obvious choices.
  • alquimistgg#0914 alquimistgg Member Posts: 133 Arc User

Error in translation

corrected, thanks.

The change of combat directly affected the races. I believe this has already been done to have more diversity. An example of this is the last race launched in the game, which is the Assimar that is perfect only for OP. Your idea is interesting, but I believe it does not fit the system proposed by Dev, since I as DPS would choose between Gith and Tiefling and return to the abyss of old, with obvious choices.

racial skills would not necessarily have to be the same as today, but I understand where you are going. The fact that all DPS would choose Gith for me is a problem with the balance of the combat system, shows how much the CA is valued above other statistics. But assuming this imbalance the fact that all DPS would choose, gith is not much different than what we have today, after all only people who are willing to absorb more damage for a little beauty are avoiding switching to gith and I think that worrying. The idea of fear 5 different tiers in each race serves precisely so that more skill options are added in the game, more things like the tiefling and drow skills that are very peculiar.

Technically CA is only above the other because of its difficulty in being acquired via potions. As this status has synergy with Critical Severity it sits above Accuracy and Critical Strike, but still behind damage which is the tiefling skill that only activates when targets have >50% HP. But as Gith's second skill from Stamina Regen and I use a gear that makes me have that status, I preferred to choose Gith for my GWF plus other reasons.

Technically CA is only above the other because of its difficulty in being acquired via potions. As this status has synergy with Critical Severity it sits above Accuracy and Critical Strike, but still behind damage which is the tiefling skill that only activates when targets have >50% HP. But as Gith's second skill from Stamina Regen and I use a gear that makes me have that status, I preferred to choose Gith for my GWF plus other reasons.

I do not talk about the difficulty of acquiring, if all the statuses were equal in difficulty of obtaining, and there was no potion for them, there would be no reason to put items of accuracy or critical severity if you have to put CA, because he is very more effective in damage than others in the end. this is something that makes me sad in the current system, mainly because of Forte.
    But having accuracy in the Forte is good, since you do not need to use equipment, enchants, insignias, mounts among others to raise this status. =)

But having accuracy in the Forte is good, since you do not need to use equipment, enchants, insignias, mounts among others to raise this status. =)

nobody wants to raise that status hahaha