test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New to Neverwinter

seaysonseayson Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Ok here is my question. I know the game play and from other games I know how to gain gold for buying items . But why on this game is there 3 different types of currency? AD, Zen, Gold. You can't post on AH anything without having AD's ... matter of fact a lot of stuff you can't do in game. But in the ads it says you can do EVERYTHING in the free section of the game and not get hindered in game play. Having 3 currencies is a hinderance lol . Ok rant over ... breathing normal now lol ....

Comments

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    it's not so bad once you fully get used to the system it makes sense why we have AD and Gold. Zen is just the cash shop money.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    ...and then there's the currencies for each adventure zone/campaign, the event currencies...
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Any of the three currencies can be converted to either of the other two currencies within the game. You will find however that converting AD to zen will take over 2 months currently before your order will be filled. The zen you get in this case is zen purchased with cash by another player and converted to AD.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    The reason why there are so many currencies is that the game developers found that it was wise to have it so.
    Actually, it sort of makes sense, mostly.

The various campaign currencies are there so you cannot gain currency from an easy campaign and use it to purchase in a more advanced campaign. Each campaign is sort of walled off with respect to gains and rewards.

Zen is there because it is the real money currency so it is closely tied to Cryptic's income and then they need to have special goods available for Zen.

It is less obvious why AD and gold are not the same, those are the main currencies in game.

It sounds to me your question is more like why is it so hard to gain AD.

Gaining 100k AD per day actually is fairly easy. Run one REDQ and one RTQ each day and you have more or less gained the 100k raw AD you can convert to pure AD each day.

If you can't run those yet.. well.. that is a goal to work towards :)
  • Options
    seaysonseayson Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Thanks everyone but still. I love the game but still I would like to sell some stuff but I can't because I have no AD's and if REDQ or RTQ is the only way to get them ... I haven't reached that level yet so basically nothing .... But thanks anyway .. kinda makes me not want to play to be honest. But again thanks.
  • Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    @seayson You can sell the campaign currency for AD. The issue in most cases, you are collecting the currency to get through the campaign. Also the stores are a bit buried in menu Hell. Open up the campaign menu with "[" key. Then pick a campaign. Next use the "view campaign" opening a 3rd level... then down on the left side should be a "campaign store" button. The first campaign you are allowed to start is Acquisitions Incorporated, at level 15, please don't judge the rest of the game based on it.

My wife likes her "little tricks". She uses the chat engine in the game to navigate those menus. For example, you can use this string in chat to access many of the campaign stores.

/gensendmessage Campaign_(name of campaign here)_Storebutton activate

/gensendmessage Campaign_Ravenloft_Storebutton activate will activate the Ravenloft store.

These chat commands can be tied to key bindings.
  • Options
    Being new it depends on how far they've gotten though so far. Most of the campaigns and stores aren't available until 80.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Being new it depends on how far they've gotten though so far. Most of the campaigns and stores aren't available until 80.

I try not to be overtly critical, but the first personal gripe I had, when first seeing this game, was tons too much currency. I won't debate it, but at my table I don't fiddle with small change. I use gold and only gold. We of course had chests with gems, jewelry, and mysterious items. It would be taken back to town and sold off for gold. I also understand there will never be a PC version of D&D anywhere near the original books and dice. Computers have no imagination. If you doubt me, just ask your Google Nest device to tell you a joke. You will quickly learn, they have no imagination.
  • Options
    And they don't even use proper CP->SP->GP conversion rates.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    seayson said:

Thanks everyone but still. I love the game but still I would like to sell some stuff but I can't because I have no AD's and if REDQ or RTQ is the only way to get them ... I haven't reached that level yet so basically nothing .... But thanks anyway .. kinda makes me not want to play to be honest. But again thanks.

REDQ and RTQ are not the *only* way to gain raw AD, just the most efficient.

RSQ(16k IL required) and RDQ(no IL requirements) are available at lower ILs, they give less raw AD but are usually easy to do.
    You can also get raw AD from various sources like Zok boxes, Juma bags and some campaign weekly endquests.

It wil just get easier to gain raw AD as your character get more developed. There needs to be some progress in game, you should not expect the entire package the first day.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

seayson said:

REDQ and RTQ are not the *only* way to gain raw AD, just the most efficient.

RSQ(16k IL required) and RDQ(no IL requirements) are available at lower ILs, they give less raw AD but are usually easy to do.
    You can also get raw AD from various sources like Zok boxes, Juma bags and some campaign weekly endquests.

It wil just get easier to gain raw AD as your character get more developed. There needs to be some progress in game, you should not expect the entire package the first day.
    Agreed - and the AD from Random Skirmish Q and Random Dungeon Q is enough to get you going and buy some lower end stuff.

The better stuff comes later in game once you have progressed through campaigns and go to level 80.
  • Options
    crusthelvetecrusthelvete Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    seayson said:

Give it a try, get some levels etc :)
    But i recommend to check in the threads about the upcoming huge changes to the game.