test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official - Combat Changes - Epic Dungeon/Normal Trial Difficulty

This thread is for any feedback/bugs related to the difficulty of Epic Dungeons and Normal Trials.

Comments

• l0gicalm1nd#4704 l0gicalm1nd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    In LoMM, boulders have way too much HP and are unkillable
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer

In LoMM, boulders have way too much HP and are unkillable

We will test out some HP reductions on those to get them back to a good place.
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    What I see is everything takes at LEAST twice the amount of time to complete for same rewards. Shores of Turen was almost 6 mins. Tomm we can live forever but do no damage. Didn't even make phase 2 in a group that completes on live atm.

I have upgraded my pets to mythic, changed my radiant enchants to 3 stat that I need, but not fully rebalanced my toon. I was going off the statement that we should be able to do content we could before.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    reg1981 said:

What I see is everything takes at LEAST twice the amount of time to complete for same rewards. Shores of Turen was almost 6 mins. Tomm we can live forever but do no damage. Didn't even make phase 2 in a group that completes on live atm.

I have upgraded my pets to mythic, changed my radiant enchants to 3 stat that I need, but not fully rebalanced my toon. I was going off the statement that we should be able to do content we could before.

In your opinion, should Shores be longer or shorter? It seems like you thought that was too long. Skirmishes I thought were supposed to be 10-15 minutes for estimated play time. We are also expecting a new rewards system with M20 so rewards should likely be in a separate thread.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    If they make shores take 15 minutes, the rewards will have to be massively adjusted. The kicker will be that they won't change the rewards till they are happy with the difficulty, meaning there will be 1 or 2 mods of running it and similar dungeons and skirms for little reward.

Always been an issue with the game. Its designed around people running the same content over and over and over....so the rewards have to be scarce. Then they make that same content harder without increasing.

If they make shores take 15 minutes, the rewards will have to be massively adjusted. The kicker will be that they won't change the rewards till they are happy with the difficulty, meaning there will be 1 or 2 mods of running it and similar dungeons and skirms for little reward.

Always been an issue with the game. Its designed around people running the same content over and over and over....so the rewards have to be scarce. Then they make that same content harder without increasing.

According to the roadmap, we should be getting a new reward system with M20.
  • carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

Couldn't these changes be delayed until M20 then? That's kinda the problem.

If we take these scenarios:
    1) old dungeons have outdated rewards, no need for scaling
    2) there's scaling to make old dungeons not trivial, the dungeons have good rewards

Scenario 2 is clearly better for NW imo, due to the very low amount of dungeons we get (2 per year if we're lucky). But the extreme delay between introducing scaling and actually updating the rewards is quite annoying.

I don't hate these changes. Maybe there will be something to do as a healer in epic dungeons now, after all. And something more varied than "Power everywhere" also seems nice (although difficult to adapt, for sure). But they should probably think more about timing for this kind of change.

arazith07 said:

Couldn't these changes be delayed until M20 then? That's kinda the problem.

If we take these scenarios:
    1) old dungeons have outdated rewards, no need for scaling
    2) there's scaling to make old dungeons not trivial, the dungeons have good rewards

Scenario 2 is clearly better for NW imo, due to the very low amount of dungeons we get (2 per year if we're lucky). But the extreme delay between introducing scaling and actually updating the rewards is quite annoying.

I don't hate these changes. Maybe there will be something to do as a healer in epic dungeons now, after all. And something more varied than "Power everywhere" also seems nice (although difficult to adapt, for sure). But they should probably think more about timing for this kind of change.
    For all we know these changes are coming with M20
    edited December 2020
    SW does no damage in tower of the mad mage. Preview server, last night(preview release day)

The full health bar of shield was also a surprise considering I'm around 600k HP now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYR-12IOtN8&feature=youtu.be
  • jman3l#5579 jman3l Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Something happened when you removed armor penetration and it was not mitigated properly. Nothing does any damage, that includes outgoing damage and incoming damage. Our group on preview was able to brute force Master ZC without any healing, because zariel did almost no damage, and we did almost no damage. The trial too much longer and it became boring. I am curious as to why armor penetration was removed? If power is capped, why is armor penetration gone? I am a bit confused. Is power suppose to function as the "new armor penetration?" Something needs to be changed with regards to how damage resistance is implemented or PVP (and PVE) will be broken. Nobody will be able to kill anyone/anything. The trial's are still doable, but it doesn't feel right this way. The bosses should hurt.
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer

Something happened when you removed armor penetration and it was not mitigated properly. Nothing does any damage, that includes outgoing damage and incoming damage. Our group on preview was able to brute force Master ZC without any healing, because zariel did almost no damage, and we did almost no damage. The trial too much longer and it became boring. I am curious as to why armor penetration was removed? If power is capped, why is armor penetration gone? I am a bit confused. Is power suppose to function as the "new armor penetration?" Something needs to be changed with regards to how damage resistance is implemented or PVP (and PVE) will be broken. Nobody will be able to kill anyone/anything. The trial's are still doable, but it doesn't feel right this way. The bosses should hurt.

These threads are specifically to find feedback on the bosses. Bosses typically have a lot of hand tuning on them so when changes like this happen, we need to go back and do a lot of hand tuning. They are not considered in any sort of shippable state yet.

Adjustments will be made to bosses damages and health as we get feedback on them.
  • jman3l#5579 jman3l Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    Okay, then I would say for now that player damage seems "okay." Its the boss damage that is too little. That definitely needs to be increased, especially in TOMM and Zariel.

Okay, then I would say for now that player damage seems "okay." Its the boss damage that is too little. That definitely needs to be increased, especially in TOMM and Zariel.

I gave them a 3x damage modifier for the next build, we will see where it sits from there and make further adjustments.

As a note, this thread https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1258806/official-combat-changes-master-trials

was intended for those trials as we expected them to need the most tuning to get into a proper place.
  • carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User

I gave them a 3x damage modifier for the next build, we will see where it sits from there and make further adjustments.

As a note, this thread https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1258806/official-combat-changes-master-trials

was intended for those trials as we expected them to need the most tuning to get into a proper place.
    This is probably better suited to the stats thread but since it was mentioned here: Will this damage modifier be enough to counter the new way Defense and Deflect works? Being able to go up to 90% on them is a bit too much. A simple comparison: capping power (90%) won't even double the damage you do to an enemy. On the other hand, capping Defense (90%) will reduce the damage taken by 10x. Doesn't seem right.
    edited December 2020
    arazith07 said:

reg1981 said:

In your opinion, should Shores be longer or shorter? It seems like you thought that was too long. Skirmishes I thought were supposed to be 10-15 minutes for estimated play time. We are also expecting a new rewards system with M20 so rewards should likely be in a separate thread.
    I would expect it to be shorter based on time vs reward. I'm sorry but 10k rad isn't worth spending 15 mins in a skrimish. It's also the fact that it's the same skrimish, just longer and slower and boring. I actually find it fun in it's current state.

Edit: I feel the same way with tower on preview atm, it's longer, slower, and boring. The pucker factor just isn't there to keep you hopping.
  • carmen2013carmen2013 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    reg1981 said:

SW does no damage in tower of the mad mage. Preview server, last night(preview release day)

The full health bar of shield was also a surprise considering I'm around 600k HP now.

Thats probably because on your character sheet you have 0 base damage. Try and respec your toon and see if that fixes it?

• drago#9606 drago Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Did some back to back testing in Lair of LostMouth - live vs preview. I did them both solo to try and compare directly what my own character experiences. As context, my character on live can solo LostMouth relatively easily (only the scorpians can present a bit of an issue). This is true with or without the Chicken companion.

Live - Arcanist, 33k IL, 205k Power, 400k HP, offensive stats around 85k, defence 85k, Chicken
    Preview - Arcanist, 47k IL, 5650 Damage, 610k HP, capped power, offensive stats 60-65%, 47% defence, Chicken

Bearing in mind the preview build has 100% mount and companion bolsters, I felt significantly weaker. I did less damage, but the main thing was how hard I got hit. Not an issue with 1 or 2 enemies about, but as soon as a mob or 2 goes on you it's very difficult to avoid death.

What I'm not sure of is what the intended experience is supposed to be. Is it the case that a fairly maxed out character should struggle attempting to solo any 'party' content? I would expect it to be tough, solo, but it certainly feels that I could not do the same content in roughly the same way that I can on live, even with maxed out mythics.

On stats balance, with low defence I suppose I'd expect to be a bit more fragile, but to kill enemies quicker. It feels that if I bolstered my defence more, I'd go from "slow kill" to "slower kill". It make me unsure as to what a good balance should be.
    hustin1 said:

Did some back to back testing in Lair of LostMouth - live vs preview. I did them both solo to try and compare directly what my own character experiences. As context, my character on live can solo LostMouth relatively easily (only the scorpians can present a bit of an issue). This is true with or without the Chicken companion.

Live - Arcanist, 33k IL, 205k Power, 400k HP, offensive stats around 85k, defence 85k, Chicken
    Preview - Arcanist, 47k IL, 5650 Damage, 610k HP, capped power, offensive stats 60-65%, 47% defence, Chicken

Bearing in mind the preview build has 100% mount and companion bolsters, I felt significantly weaker. I did less damage, but the main thing was how hard I got hit. Not an issue with 1 or 2 enemies about, but as soon as a mob or 2 goes on you it's very difficult to avoid death.

What I'm not sure of is what the intended experience is supposed to be. Is it the case that a fairly maxed out character should struggle attempting to solo any 'party' content? I would expect it to be tough, solo, but it certainly feels that I could not do the same content in roughly the same way that I can on live, even with maxed out mythics.

On stats balance, with low defence I suppose I'd expect to be a bit more fragile, but to kill enemies quicker. It feels that if I bolstered my defence more, I'd go from "slow kill" to "slower kill". It make me unsure as to what a good balance should be.

This is only a single data point, so take it with a grain of salt. When I went to Dread Ring, I tried attacking the zombies that constantly attack the entrance to the camp, and when they reached me I was dead in one second flat. I don't know if this is a zombie issue or a Combat Advantage issue, but it's possible that the way combat advantage is set up is leading to a very harsh insta-dead scenario.
    That was called out in the zone difficulty thread. There is a fix in for a future build that will address those zombies.
  • evemjevemj Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Preface : playing on preview with a char that isn't changed from live outside of shifting some rings/pet powers to get closer to caps, i.e. no pet/mount bolster increase.

I can solo LoMM up to Arcturia with a few deaths and some focus on stuns from various sources. Took some time, but didn't seem impossible.
    When trying Malabog's, I can barely put a dent in mobs.

Yes, well-aware that we're not in a solo game, but the "feel" of the game shouldn't change much between dungeons, right? I thought I'd be able to progress a bit further than the second tower.
  • harpersteelharpersteel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Castle Never: Overall everything took a little longer to kill. The zombies were indeed brutal as others stated. No major bugs were noted during my run however the final boss ended up dying really quickly compared to the rest of the dungeon.

Valindra's Tower: Everything was noticeably scaled. No unusual bugs noted.

LoMM: Rocks are OP, couldn't kill any and the worm blast phase was pretty brutal lol. Trobriand remained agro'd on the tank and turned with the tank during the blast phase taking his target off the scorpions. Before, once trobriad laid down his blast AoE, he would remain fixed facing towards that blast direction.

Infernal Citedal: This run was pretty close to the current "normal". First boss took a long time to kill. The team wasn't taking much damage so it was just mindless hammering away at the boss. We started with slow mob pulls in the outside environment and then we managed to do full pulls in the hallways. Second boss was fine. Final boss, tank took little to NO damage when chained and blasted with fire. Yay for the tank, zzzz for the healer. Damage to the boss was slower than usual and we had to wipe several times due to player error. We didn't get to test the dps check on the final boss because we ended up disbanding.

IC Update: Ran with a new group. Noticed bugs with final boss. If a team member died, they revive with 0 stats for a couple seconds until they can be healed. DPS one-hit with falling rocks. Tank can run on lava with shield up. Still dont need to heal tank during chain phase.

Tiamat: ran with a group of 7 (1 heal, 1 tank, and 5dps). Tiamat was easily completed in two phases however, the defending the cleric phases did not appear and went directly to the Tiamat fight.
    Post edited by harpersteel on
    My post above with SW doing

reg1981 said:

Thats probably because on your character sheet you have 0 base damage. Try and respec your toon and see if that fixes it?

Correct! My initial loadout was fine while testing other content, when I swapped to my tomm loadout I had 71k HP and 0 Base Damage. So that is a non issue other than requires a free retraining for ALL loadouts!! I have 4 loadouts on my SW and all but the primary loadout is in this state.
  • sriram#1646 sriram Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    I have tried to Run LOMM The Mobs in LOMM is very hard to kill. Taking at least 2 to 3 times all encounters atwills mount daily and artifacts..

Where as in Infernal citadel. It is bit easy to kill mobs compared to LOMM
  • slonokdja#8966 slonokdja Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    No one needs armor from old dungeons. Even in fresh dungeons like the mage tower and citadel, there is a huge amount of useless armor. Please review the reward system from dungeon chests in favor of reducing useless items and seals.
  • lahcaralahcara Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    > @slonokdja#8966 said:
    > No one needs armor from old dungeons. Even in fresh dungeons like the mage tower and citadel, there is a huge amount of useless armor. Please review the reward system from dungeon chests in favor of reducing useless items and seals.

right, but what do you suggest? what rewards should be in your opinion?
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    > @lahcara said:
    > > @slonokdja#8966 said:
    > > No one needs armor from old dungeons. Even in fresh dungeons like the mage tower and citadel, there is a huge amount of useless armor. Please review the reward system from dungeon chests in favor of reducing useless items and seals.
    >
    > right, but what do you suggest? what rewards should be in your opinion?

I wouldn't say "no one," since you never know who might find that one piece they need - A pally healer might get a drop for their tank loadout, for example.

But I'd like to see some higher rank enchants and runestones from dungeon chests, at least 10. Even if it's not the exact one I want, it'd help my RP.

Right now it feels like those items mostly come from lockboxes and tradebar store, and since I'm morally opposed to lockboxes, I'm currently at the mercy of the AH or the very high refining costs.
    Call me El, she/her only. Currently Professions-only until the next combat change fixes this mess.
  • rualkgreywolfrualkgreywolf Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Looks like that Halaster and Zariel have 10%ish of armor penetration (or they ignore 10% of our defense anyway), is it intentional or a bug?

sorry, wrong thread
  • zaprobozaprobo Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Ran Lair of the Mad Mage with my regular guild group on test. Characters were vanilla transfers (no optimization) for most of us. Everything was pretty okay up (some deaths when getting surrounded) until the Bore Worm's falling rocks/heal phase.

The damage share mechanic was brutal and was a guaranteed death each time, whether or not we clustered for it - feels like that mechanic or phase had not been adjusted yet for the dungeon/new combat stats.
    Zaphod "Zap-Robo" Robotnik
    http://zap-robo.net/
    edited January 2021
    Lair of Lostmauth, just before final boss "Defeat the cult of the dragon" Why are these enemies so different from the rest of the dungeon? They seem to have defenses above the rest or a HP pool that never ends. They do not feel in line with the rest of the dungeon.

You can not run away from these same enemies, there is no tether. The enemies will outrun you everytime even using a full stamina bar. I'm not sure if all enemies in the changed format move this quick but if they do there is no such thing as retreat. You either win or die. Should be another option imo Even after death these guys still dont' tether and return. No adventurer left alive and the group of enemies stay in place where they were when you died.