test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

new limited time campaign: The Redeemed Citadel - requirements

I am surprised that there have been no forum posts about this upcoming limited time campaign Redeemed Citadel. I am not sure if it is something that everyone knew was coming, or if it was a surprise?

I was wondering if anyone knows what the requirements will be for participating in this campaign?

- do you have to have completed the Avernus campaign?
- do you have to be ML80
- is there a minimum item level?

Answers

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    You need to have reached the end of the Avernus campaign (finisheded "A mote of Virtue") , but not completed the campaign, in the sense that you do not need to have gotten all the boon points.

Theis means, that yea, you should be L80 with, say, 23K+ to be comfortable.
    Post edited by adinosii on
    Hoping for improvements...
  • grrowler#0622 grrowler Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    ugh darn *sob*

I have not even started the avernus campaign. I was looking forward to trying to run this limited campaign to try to unlock aasimar.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    This content is only like an event in that there is a limit on the availability of the content. It's more akin to Rage of Bel in that it is episodic content, and takes place in Avernus. Mote of Virtue is required so you can actually get to the Citadel on the zone map. I would try and get some friends to help you get to Avernus and complete your campaign now so you can participate and get rewards. This will be around for the majority of M19 (check the roadmap).
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    The Road Map shows the release of the Aasimar race isn't until sometime in November. I have no interest in new races, I unlocked the Gith skin just because I happened to be online the month they gave it away. In this game, everyone seems to desire the "unique look" or "rare item". If it is just simply handed away for free, it has no value. I play 4 humans, half-elf, elf, drow, and tiefling and their racial abilities were never the deciding factor. To me it is about my character's story and not about a unique look or play style.

Eventually they will sell this in the zen store, either in whole or part of a package, as they do the Gith. The Gith Booster Pack sells for $40, that includes the race unlock for people who didn't get it for free. If you don't desire to rush through Avernus, you can always save up your AD and exchange it for the zen needed to buy it. They will always offer a buyout option.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    adinosii said:

As far as I know, you need to have reached the end of the Avernus campaign (completed "A mote of Virtue") , but not completed it, in the sense that you do not need to have gotten all the boon points.

I have 6 of my characters "completed" "Path of the Fallen" campaign with 100% advancement but only 2 actually did the the task "A Mole of Virtue". Do the remaining 4 not qualify ... because they have not reached the last area?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    If you are a paladin, or are low item level...just make a group to farm stuff or to help you with the campaign. I'm sure that most of the progress is done via quests, just like the Masquerade of Liars event. This is an MMO, be social, it'll help pass the time as you grind! It takes 2-3 weeks to complete the campaign, this event will be around for months. You won't really miss much if you haven't gotten there yet.

adinosii said:

As far as I know, you need to have reached the end of the Avernus campaign (completed "A mote of Virtue") , but not completed it, in the sense that you do not need to have gotten all the boon points.

I have 6 of my characters "completed" "Path of the Fallen" campaign with 100% advancement but only 2 actually did the the task "A Mole of Virtue". Do the remaining 4 not qualify ... because they have not reached the last area?
    I assume the quests are in the Citadel itself, where the Mount Celestia Post-it board is.
  • drago#3250 drago Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    adinosii said:

Grind now or miss out.
    (...)
    "By completing newly available missions in the citadel or participating in other activities which advance the angels' cause; such as slaying devils and demons on the surface of Avernus, you will both advance the progress of the citadel's restoration and earn Zariel's favor, which can be redeemed for various rewards."

Oh, hey. Killing things. Great. Every paladin should be able to score really high then since they don't have a DPS spec. I mean, if some class can kill things twice as fast as another then they will earn around twice as many points, right?

Okay paladins, get your grind on. Sleep or special rewards? Where are your priorities?
    (...)
    I main a paladin. After a couple of false starts, and I mean over an extended period of time, I m currently playing what I hope to be my final paladin.

Every newly released content start with killing blow or most damage done. That is common sense. If you don't like it don't play the Paladin. Do it like I did. I skipped the content until M19 Rewards changed to normal and tank friendly drop rates.
    Ofcourse I favor Sleep.
    @mithrosnomore I hear you, I have 8 characters the highest 2 are item level 21.5K the others are 20K. Even if I managed to tweak one or two up a notch, I would still be a boat anchor for any party. As I stated before, modules 17, 18, and 19 have failed to impress me at all. I think? I completed Stardock? It is too vague in my opinion. Module 17 is such a non-module, it doesn't even appear anywhere in the journal. Worse yet, you need to finish Undermountain just to start it. I don't think it has an ending?

I know I have Module 18 100% complete, just a few characters in need of the 4 boon points. But I didn't care for them just recycling the Stronghold Map busting it up into chunks. Too much red hue on everything, plot is thin, and full of holes. Mod 19 only went as far as getting the first memory fragment. Not enjoying the dull empty lifeless plot either. This is why, I took this time to play catch up on some old stuff. Anyone looking forward to doing the end game content, I really wish them the best of luck.

@arazith07 you assume, "...most of the progress is done via quests, just like the Masquerade of Liars event"? Ever since they introduced that event in 2018, I played witch team both years and lost. The issue is 3 teams, I chose the witch transmute, majority of the people come in late and go with the team that is ahead. Team Razorweed won in 2018 and team Werewolf in 2019. The biggest team wins the event. How is that a good thing? If that is how it works, I am even less interested now than ever.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • xenocide#6119 xenocide Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    The event looks to be running until mod 20 so everyone should have plenty of time to get together with some friends and get their characters to where they are able to participate

@arazith07 you assume, "...most of the progress is done via quests, just like the Masquerade of Liars event"? Ever since they introduced that event in 2018, I played witch team both years and lost. The issue is 3 teams, I chose the witch transmute, majority of the people come in late and go with the team that is ahead. Team Razorweed won in 2018 and team Werewolf in 2019. The biggest team wins the event. How is that a good thing? If that is how it works, I am even less interested now than ever.

You seem to misunderstand me...there of course will not be a competition aside for the top 100 players. Which really will just be going to those with the most time and will power to grind for the months of this campaign being available. It is similar in that there will be a global quest turn in count.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    > @plasticbat said:
    > (Quote)
    > I have 6 of my characters "completed" "Path of the Fallen" campaign with 100% advancement but only 2 actually did the the task "A Mole of Virtue". Do the remaining 4 not qualify ... because they have not reached the last area?

The Mole of Virtue could be an interesting companion 😉
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • erevel09erevel09 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    I have one concern too. Will it be like Hell Pit event, where one character can do the whole account progress or do we have to run through with every character. That's what I'm curious about.
    edited August 2020
    Here is what concerns me. There are basically two "tiers" of rewards. You have the "free, personal" rewards you get just for participating. The second and third of those are the "Blessed" weapons. Now, they are nice - they are a decent upgrade from the Legion weapons and if they max out at IL 1250 they are almost as good as the Lionheart weapons (higher stats, but a worse bonus). The fourth and final "free" item is a chest with 100.000 AD (not rAD).

So far, so good. My issue is with the other set of rewards, I had been under the impression that the Reforger's Blessing was basically just to allow people to "extend" their window of participation, as after all

If you're not sure you'll be able to complete the goals in time: a reforger's blessing will be available in the zen market that allows the bearer to earn personal progress at their own pace, even after a milestone ends.

Great for casual players which might not otherwise be able to unlock everything, but I thought you could unlock the other rewards, including the Asimar race, just by playing.

This does, however, not seem to be the case.

To clarify further, if you look at the campaign UI in the blog post, there are four rewards along the top, and four along the bottom. The four along the top can be earned regardless of whether a reforger's blessing is purchased. The four along the bottom require the purchase of a reforger's blessing.

Additionally, the aasimar themselves require that all four blessings are purchased, and the personal rewards from all four milestones are claimed. In other words, the aasimar will not be available as a playable race until the fourth milestone is available on live later this year.

Now, personally I have no issue spending Zen on getting the Asimar - I would have done that anyhow if it had just been put on the market. What annoys me is that I thought I would not need to buy the Reforger's Blessings, as I thought they were just there to "extend" the window, but it now seems I am forced to buy them. I this could have been handled a bit better - like separating the "extension" from the additional rewards.

I just hate paying for stuff I don't need or want.
    edited August 2020
    As a side note, I thought the Zariel's favours that people got earlier by mistake were going to be removed, but I see I still have have mine:

Not that it makes much difference having one or two when you need 28.000+
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User

This I agree with.

I was lucky enough to choose the right team both times (even then I made my decision on which team to join based on who I thought would be the most popular, not necessarily what I liked best), but it has always felt unfair to me that people that "worked" just as hard, if not harder, than people on the winning team got nothing for their troubles during that event*.

And this limited time event... Yeah, maybe I can stop doing what I want to do (catch up on old campaigns and generally play at my own pace) and try jumping into Avernus right now so as to maybe (and that is just a maybe) be ready for this when the time comes, but why should I have to?

Other than the obvious "to be able to run it", I mean?

Does it seem like good design to introduce content that is both intended for only the highest-level and best-geared players and that will run for only a limited time?

Limited time content should be playable by as many people in the game as possible for however long it lasts. I can understand a level limit, but that limit should be closer to 20 than 80.

Content designed for the end game should be there for everyone's end game, not just those players that happened to be ready when the content was released.

* Not to derail this thread, but I think they should just rotate three monsters in and out every year for the Halloween event, changing the roster over time and having plenty of different monsters to choose from.

Everyone that meets the contribution threshold for their chosen team gets that mask, or they just put the masks in the event store but a player can only buy the mask for the team they chose.

Year one: Monsters A, B, and C
    Year two: Monsters D, E, and F
    Year three: Monsters G, H, and I
    Year four: Monsters J, K, and L
    Year five: Monsters A, D, and G
    Year six: Monsters J, B, and E

And on and on like that. They make a new monster along the way? Just slide them into the rotation. After a while people will have all of the masks that are being offered that year, but there should be other things in the event store worth pursuing.

This is a game. It is supposed to be fun for everyone. I doubt that people that come out on the losing sides of the Halloween event think it is as much fun as the people that are on the winning side.

You not only don't get the prize that you wanted for free, but you have to pay to get the consolation prize.
    Speaking of these "Temporary Campaign Events" did they ever finish Hell Pit? I recall they renamed Tales of Old to The Grand Retelling, did they finish these at all? I know they offered a legendary mount as the grand prize for winning all the Hell Pit events. Did anyone ever get enough currency together and win the mount?

I liked Hell Pit for the first run, and about a week into the event, I knew I couldn't finish, so I took the AD reward box. Then the second time it showed up, they messed it up, made it much harder to play, and I couldn't even get my character through the first day. When I first started, I wasn't aware about the character lock, otherwise my barbarian would have entered and not my wizard. I gave up on that event altogether.

I totally agree with @erevel09 It would be really nice to know, for players participating in the event, prior to locking in a poor choice. I do read dialog, there was no warning or notice, stating once you start the Hell Pit this will lock your character to the event... forever.

I guess you will just have to wait for the guinea pigs to run through it first?
    wb-cenders.gif
  • zebulondaktoidzebulondaktoid Member Posts: 87 Arc User

Speaking of these "Temporary Campaign Events" did they ever finish Hell Pit? I recall they renamed Tales of Old to The Grand Retelling, did they finish these at all? I know they offered a legendary mount as the grand prize for winning all the Hell Pit events. Did anyone ever get enough currency together and win the mount?

I liked Hell Pit for the first run, and about a week into the event, I knew I couldn't finish, so I took the AD reward box. Then the second time it showed up, they messed it up, made it much harder to play, and I couldn't even get my character through the first day. When I first started, I wasn't aware about the character lock, otherwise my barbarian would have entered and not my wizard. I gave up on that event altogether.

I totally agree with @erevel09 It would be really nice to know, for players participating in the event, prior to locking in a poor choice. I do read dialog, there was no warning or notice, stating once you start the Hell Pit this will lock your character to the event... forever.

As far as I am aware you can do hell pit with as many characters as you like, it is just that you can only do it once per day per account, and obviously using more than one character does split the tokens (which are character bound).
    edited August 2020

As far as I am aware you can do hell pit with as many characters as you like, it is just that you can only do it once per day per account, and obviously using more than one character does split the tokens (which are character bound).
    No, you can only use ONE character per account per Hell Pit event. After you did one character, no other character in the account can go into Hell Pit in the whole event. The entrance rejects them all (except the first character).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

Thanks plasticbat, I didn't realise that. I have been to the hell pit quest giver before with other characters before accepting on my main and it seemed to give me the option to accept it (although I never did). So you can only use another character once the event comes up again? If so it might be an idea to cut your losses and swap toons next time it comes around.

Thanks plasticbat, I didn't realise that. I have been to the hell pit quest giver before with other characters before accepting on my main and it seemed to give me the option to accept it (although I never did). So you can only use another character once the event comes up again? If so it might be an idea to cut your losses and swap toons next time it comes around.

Although the official description of Hell Pit (posted before the event) had no mention of this limitation, I did guess they might implement that way. In addition, picking the "right" one to start made the most sense to get the legendary mount (knowing that I need to do many event to get the mount) regardless the limitation exists or not. Hence, I chose the best character to start.

If one chooses to 'cut the loss and swap toon', he may lose the chance to get the legendary mount. If he does not care, that is an option.

Yeah, it is far from ideal. I was thinking from the perspective of someone that originally chose a character that seriously struggles with it and is not completing the required number for the mount anyway.
  • kierlakxkierlakx Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    This event is FOMO incarnate.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User

Grind now or miss out.

To me it sounds more like 'Grind now, or pay Zen to grind later'. Basically it seems to be NW now is introducing paid content, but is trying to hide it behind a free initial period.
  • kai#3232 kai Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Let's hope that the progress of the server will not unlock rewards for those who have not made any significant contribution.
    I don't want to work for lazy, claiming players.
    I meet people like that in random queues.
    Players who don't bring anything into the game, do less damage than companions,
    but kick someone who standing in campfire to change loadout.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Worry about yourself. Don't worry about those others. Play YOUR game and let them play theirs. Less stress that way.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • jelara1jelara1 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    adinosii said:

You need to have reached the end of the Avernus campaign (finisheded "A mote of Virtue") , but not completed the campaign, in the sense that you do not need to have gotten all the boon points.

This is extremely disappointing to hear that limited time content (play now or its gone forever) is locked behind currency limited advancement content. There's no way to rush the campaign if you haven't finished it. It takes several weeks. If true, this seems like a huge mistake. Something they needed to be advertising in huge letters in every place possible more than a month ago.

edited August 2020
    jelara1 said:

adinosii said:

This is extremely disappointing to hear that limited time content (play now or its gone forever) is locked behind currency limited advancement content. There's no way to rush the campaign if you haven't finished it. It takes several weeks. If true, this seems like a huge mistake. Something they needed to be advertising in huge letters in every place possible more than a month ago.

I believe the limited time event last 3 to 4 months. I can't check the calendar at the moment.
  • jelara1jelara1 Member Posts: 52 Arc User

jelara1 said:

adinosii said:

I believe the limited time event last 3 to 4 months. I can't check the calendar at the moment.
    I believe that is for the whole thing, not the first milestone. I'm guessing each milestone will be about a month. Once the server has completed the first milestone (which sounds like they think it may be before the expected completion time), my reading of the description is that you can still work on your own progress till appointed end time, but its not clear to me that you could start it then.