test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The quest "Nest Egg" in Protector's Enclave appears to be missing

grizzlyukgrizzlyuk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
edited August 2020 in Bug Reports (PC)
A little background first: I first started playing Neverwinter in 2014 but, at the end of Dec 2015 decided to stop playing. Returned to playing Neverwinter last month and I'm still trying to learn all the changes that have been applied to the game while I was away from the game. Anyway, I have 8 characters that I created back then but I decided that the best way for me to relearn was to simply create new characters and play the game, so I created 10 new characters and am taking my time to enjoy the game. I use the Official Neverwinter Wiki as a reference point to help me remember various things.

OK, so now onto the details. The quest "Nest Egg" is supposed to be offered at around level 10 by Sgt Knox once you turn in the final Blacklake quest "Cornering Karzov" to Sgt Knox. But "Nest Egg" has not been offered to any of my 10 new characters, the only quest Sgt Knox had available after completing "Cornering Karzov" was "Trouble in the Tower District". I'm constantly visiting Sgt Knox but at no time has he offered the "Nest Egg" quest and all my new characters are now level 19.

Without the "Nest Egg" quest you cannot complete the quests "Finder's Fee" and "False Idols" both of which start inside the sewers. The quest "Nest Egg" is also the third and final requirement to complete the "Protector's Enclave: Lairs" achievement, along with the "The Theft of the Crown" and "Finding Honor" quests.

So I tried searching the internet to see if there is any reference to the quest "Nest Egg" being removed from the game but I got no results on that topic, although I did find some discussions from 2019 and early 2020 regarding the quest, but no mention of the quest being removed, bugged or unavailable.

After that I decided my best course of action was to submit a support ticket yesterday and wait for an official response, which is:
I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to get the "Nest Egg" quest despite completing the prerequisite quest. Based on the information you provided it looks like this issue is the result of a bug. I will forward these details to our development team so they can investigate further. It will also be helpful for you to submit a bug report on the official bug report forum to supplement the information I have already provided them.

So here I am submitting the bug report as requested. Let's see what happens next!

EDIT: Forgot to include the actual link to the Official Neverwinter Wiki!
Playing STO since August 2010
Playing Neverwinter since July 2014
Post edited by grizzlyuk on

Comments

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Hi @grizzlyuk! Can you share a screenshot of what your quest journal looks like for any of your characters? Thanks!
  • grizzlyukgrizzlyuk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Hi @nitocris83, I can share a screenshot of any of my characters quest journal, though I'm guessing you'd prefer me to use one of my new characters that aren't being offered the "Nest Egg" quest and not just a generic screenshot of a quest journal? Anything in particular you want to see? Completed quests for Protector's Enclave?
    edited August 2020
    Hey @nitocris83, seeing as you haven't replied to let me know just what you want to see in the screenshots you requested I'm just adding these to, hopefully, provide the info you wanted.

Active quests:

Completed quests for Protector's Enclave:

Both screenshots are from the same character and all 10 of my characters created last month have much the same, obviously excluding class and race quests. If this isn't what you wanted then you're going to have to actually tell me because I totally flunked mind-reading classes so unless you tell me what you want to see then I have no clue what to include in a screenshot!
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Thank you for the screenshots! I'll see if we can determine what's going on.
    Hello @grizzlyuk! Our team looked into this and it appears that you are only on the 4th quest of the chain (Sewer Crawl). You need to complete the chain (there are 6 additional ones after Sewer Crawl) in order to obtain Nest Egg from Knox. I hope that helps!
    edited August 2020
    Hey @nitocris83, well I didn't know you had to do a whole series of the quests in Tower District first! Even the Official Neverwinter Wiki page for Nest Egg makes no mention of that, just that Nest Egg "should become available to the player around level 10 (roughly after completing the leveling content in Blacklake District)" so that's why I got confused! Oh well, at least now I know to just continue with Tower District quests and I guess I should be able to pick up and complete Nest Egg when my characters are somewhere around level 26 or so.

Thanks to you and the team for the info at least.

Edit: So I looked up the quest Sewer Crawl on the Wiki and took a look at each of the "Followed by:" quest links and, eventually, it leads to returning to Protector's Enclave to speak with Sgt. Knox to get the quest "Troubled Times" which all my new characters already have! So now I'm just even more confused!
    edited August 2020

Hello @grizzlyuk! Our team looked into this and it appears that you are only on the 4th quest of the chain (Sewer Crawl). You need to complete the chain (there are 6 additional ones after Sewer Crawl) in order to obtain Nest Egg from Knox. I hope that helps!

Hi @nitocris83, I've looked into what you say and I'm sorry but it doesn't make much sense unless the rewards for Nest Egg have been improved/upgraded! Rest assured that I will go through the entire quest chain in Tower District and I'll post the results!
  • hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    I've done this quest with 27 characters and always got access after I completed Blacklake District and was level 10 (as stated in the Wiki). There was never a link between this quest (in Protector's Enclave) and the Sewer Crawl quest in the Tower District. In fact the Nest Egg quest is a continuation of the 'Dead Rats' quest in Blacklake where Fleabottom is defeated. The Sewer Crawl enemies are higher level than those in Nest Egg as well.

If this sequence was changed, when was it done (what Patch) so the Wiki can be corrected somewhat 'officially' ?
    edited September 2020
    grizzlyuk said:

Hi @nitocris83, I've looked into what you say and I'm sorry but it doesn't make much sense unless the rewards for Nest Egg have been improved/upgraded! Rest assured that I will go through the entire quest chain in Tower District and I'll post the results!
    Hey @nitocris83, back again after having taken one of my new characters through the rest of the Tower District quest chain. So, picking up where I left off in the zone:
    Sewer Crawl

Followed by:
    Bringing to Task
    Supply Recovery

Followed by:
    Returning the Pain

Followed by:
    Spying the Cloak Tower

Followed by:
    Conquest for Gruumsh
    The Eyes Have It

Followed by:
    Fists of the Warband

Followed by:
    The Cloak Tower (Party)
    Trouble in the Ranks

At that point I returned to Protector's Enclave to turn in "Trouble in the Ranks" to Sgt. Knox. Sure enough, after turning in "Trouble in the Ranks" the quest "Nest Egg" showed up as available, along with Going Once, Going Twice... and Grave News! Both Going Once, Going Twice... and Grave News were available as soon as I spoke to Sgt. Knox, Nest Egg only showed up after turning in Trouble in the Ranks!

I haven't completed Nest Egg with that character yet, after doing all those quests I had to send my companion off for training so I figured that was as good a time as any for a break! ;)

EDIT: I tried posting this comment last month (August) but I got a message about it needing to be approved first! Kept trying to submit this every few days but it was always being blocked because it had to be approved, eventually I just gave up trying to submit it, but someone else reminded me about today so I figured I'd give it another try! Very surprised when it just went through without any problem! :o