test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hell Pit Difficulty/Feedback (Chapter two)

Comments

• lizardglennlizardglenn Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Going ok again on my rogue way better stats than i had last year
    getting scaled to 20k really is not a big deal,
    i have swapped gear around to change stats this time lowered CA etc to get more def and crit avoid
    will play around with those more
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/TUhJNYm.png[/img]
  • johnalansimmonsjohnalansimmons Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    for those having trouble take the time to change mount insignias, companions, and gear to optimize defensive stats and healing and even the demons are not that hard. after doing this I have used no healing pots or stones of health and it only takes a little longer to kill the mobs.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Yesterday wasnt too bad.

Today [day 14 or 15? Ive lost count] was MENTAL.

Round 3 was tough, Round 4 Very Tough and Round 5... well I survived by the skin of my nose, lots of sprinting out of trouble, using powerups JUST at the right moment, and dailies helps.

The Shield was destroyed [again] in one round due to the sheer weight of onslaught of about 5 Glazebraus and abotu 10 other mobs pounding on it.

Bonus round fail.

OH and in one round I killed the last mob spawn with 1 second left on the timer and literally a WHOLE wave of mobs spawned, [maybe 6 or 7 tough barstools] leaving me fighting for another 20 seconds or so.

Its a challenge, way harder than last time. If thats due to scaling, its stupid.
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    Difficulty between demons and devils is huge. I finally got devils (i think it's 14th day, got that 2nd piece for mount). Without potions, without stones of health, without "stealing/leeching" health ... No problems at all. Even bonus round.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    I don't know if any dev is reading this, but within the content tweaks one bug was left behind: the bonus round starts roughly about 10 secs after the fifth round finishes, not when you accept it in the book.
    So, if anyone decides to take a breather - or fill AP gauge, whatever - before engaging the bonus round, it is perfectly possible that he enters when the round is already in the "clear the arena" phase.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,138 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

I didn't have problems dodging in Bel's landfall, but had major problems with sprint in Hell Pit. Even with plenty of stamina, sprint would inexplicably stop for no reason. Another place where dodging never worked properly was on the large wooden area in the River District next to the treasure ship. I suspect that the surface that we walk on has an effect on whether we can dodge or not.

In Nostura's Twisted Glade or whatever they call it, you can get hung up on roots. It's the same issue where if you're too close to a curb you can't get your mount to jump it.

If it was environmental like that I wouldn't be able to dodge in the siege which takes place in the same area as Bel's Landfall.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

I don't know if any dev is reading this, but within the content tweaks one bug was left behind: the bonus round starts roughly about 10 secs after the fifth round finishes, not when you accept it in the book.
    So, if anyone decides to take a breather - or fill AP gauge, whatever - before engaging the bonus round, it is perfectly possible that he enters when the round is already in the "clear the arena" phase.

Oh. I didn't pay attention to that, but I do enter "late", and I was swarmed by so many mobs that it took my by surprise. I was so busy I couldn't pay the timer any mind, I will do now.
    - bye bye -
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,046 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Well, the strange part is, round 1-3 in the second week, everything goes more or less fine, but in round 4 and 5 it suddenly feels like my defense stats were cut in half, and my HP melts away within seconds even when i'm blocking.

14 days plus bonus round done on both fighters, but i had to use scrolls twice on the 19k IL one to get through.

Anyway, little advice for demon rounds, kill the Hezrous first, it looks like these can not only cast AoE and other HAMSTER, but they also summon additional demons to the fight, when you get more then one from those plus another enemy wave, things can get really "interesting" in the arena...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!

Running it on multiple characters won't allow you to achieve enough currency for the mount. The reward currencies are character bound. Best of luck. Today's patch really makes getting the charge in Insurgency a joke. Yes not the point of op in this thread just wanted to mention it for sinnebloom.

She has different accounts. 2 characters on each, I believe.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I took my time reading the book so that I could get my encounters and daily back, and I noticed that the round started with only 1:23 or 1:33 left. I thought it was an odd time and until reading the posts, figured the bonus round was shorter. Now that I think about other times doing the bonus round--I "kinda" remember reading the book longer and getting shorter bonus rounds--but I do remember one bonus round in which I spawned late and it seemed like dozens of demons were attacking in seconds-killing my saved shield and wiping me. so--even if you wait on the timer, it also seems to spawn the mobs every 30 seconds so be prepared to run.
    I have not respecced much and have been able to complete it every day. I have 'imbibed quite a few potions and averaged about 3 stones of health on my 22.8K TR to make it through the events. (they were all free from various events, so I haven't considered the buyout yet.-- yet.

I will take a look at dumping my CA for more defense though. Those demons hit hard, and I suspect that I am way off on my defensive stats.
  • evemjevemj Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    If you take the book after waiting, you will see the timer appear at 2mins, but then fall to whatever it would have been had it started when the book appeared.
    Timer should start when book is read, not when it appears.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    My feeling is that the difference in difficulty we see is related to some problems with fire damage that have been present in the game for quite a while. I play a 26k warden HR with no self heals and the boots reducing my heals by 25%, so what I see is not influenced by self heals popping up or not.
    Devils are quite easy, demons may be hard but normally that happens when Molten or Enflamed Zythars are present.
    If I kill them quickly or stun them with Crushing Roots I can easily manage demons too, using only potions and no Stones.
    If two or more Molten Zythars are present at the same time and I don't take care of them immediately they can burn over 50% of my HP in a few seconds (I have 405k HP before scaling, so this means they will kill most less-geared HRs outright).
    There are some other places where fire damage is out of the roof too (Son of Alagondar and Puppet firebombs come to mind). Both Son of Alagondar and Puppet seems to ignore defense quite often (the combat log line just shows damage and not pre-mitigated and mitigated damage). I didn't check if that happens for Molten Zythars too but something is definitily out-of-place with fire damage.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    @aslan3775 Do not buy buy-out at this point!
    The buy-out just adds number of victories to the total count, which means at this point its only effect is to prevent you from further participation. It does not give you currency, it just adds the number of victories
    - and you cannot run the event any more if you already have 21 victories total.

edit: the contents of the buyout package have drastically changed
    Post edited by rikitaki on
  • micheal1979micheal1979 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    Hmm I thought Multiple accounts wasn't allowed.
    We Are Crolm
    Believer in SMASH
    Fairplay,no bots , no bugs, and play well
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnN0Yofs-Scv1nd8U_bSYLA/featured
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    Good point. I won't take a buy out at this point.

I think I got lucky and figured out how to run it on my TR rather quickly. I'm glad i didn't try it on my wizard. I am a bad wizard--make me switch toons if you get me in a party ;)
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,373 Arc User
    edited May 2020

My feeling is that the difference in difficulty we see is related to some problems with fire damage that have been present in the game for quite a while. I play a 26k warden HR with no self heals and the boots reducing my heals by 25%, so what I see is not influenced by self heals popping up or not.
    Devils are quite easy, demons may be hard but normally that happens when Molten or Enflamed Zythars are present.
    If I kill them quickly or stun them with Crushing Roots I can easily manage demons too, using only potions and no Stones.
    If two or more Molten Zythars are present at the same time and I don't take care of them immediately they can burn over 50% of my HP in a few seconds (I have 405k HP before scaling, so this means they will kill most less-geared HRs outright).
    There are some other places where fire damage is out of the roof too (Son of Alagondar and Puppet firebombs come to mind). Both Son of Alagondar and Puppet seems to ignore defense quite often (the combat log line just shows damage and not pre-mitigated and mitigated damage). I didn't check if that happens for Molten Zythars too but something is definitily out-of-place with fire damage.

Depends on the build, the fire damage is nothing for my character. Mine (a barbarian) has far less HP than yours. However, the range damage does very little to him. I can keep walking and let the fire hit me. About 3k damage per hit. That takes a long while to get my HP to 50%. I often left one range fire guy alive because it seems it takes a few seconds longer for the next batch to spawn.

I also walk around the border so that I get less CA against me.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

Hmm I thought Multiple accounts wasn't allowed.

Depends on how they are used or abused.
  • krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User

Difficulty is absolutely all over the place and seems to change on undocumented stuff. Last sunday, it was about ok. Yesterday it was very easy. Today it is impossible. Please review your code, because there is no way this is working as intended.

Different mob, different difficulties. Demon hard, devil easy. That is if you are lucky to get devil, it is easy. If you are not, challenging. That is kind of known since the first Hell pit. Same as what you faced in Vallenhas. Small HE with demon is harder than the small HE with devil.
    Yeah, I see, but the difficulty gap is absolutely abysmal (which is fitting, I guess). I am easily seeing demons hit for 3x hards as devils.
    First Day of Week Three

Round 1 wasnt too hard, just used a couple of health stones, stood and fought with back against the wall for a while. Did some sprinting and bobbing and weaving. Doable.

Round 2 - another story, too many trash mobs making it almost impossible to position your toon to attack the BOSS mob, clearing trash mobs spawns more trash mobs. I say trash mobs, they are quite lethal. Took three attempts to beat round 2. And even then I was down to like 5% HP at one point. MUCH harder than last time.

MUCH harder than those FE boss mobs. Probably the hardest solo fight I have ever done in three years in Neverwinter.

Did I feel elated after the fight?

Not really, just relieved.

For a newer player this may be impossible as its really about timing, player skill and knowing what to do when.
    I quit last week. Being frustrated by HAMSTER isn't a challenge.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    For week three, I pulled my top stones & enchantments off of my alts that I'm doing boons on and put them back onto my main. For me, this made week 3 the same difficulty as week 2. Week 3 is only 2 rounds (much faster). After Hellpit and RTQ, I didn't feel like spending 100 gold and 30 minutes porting gear back to an alt to play content... so I shut the game off for the day & did other stuff.
    edited May 2020
    Well, dumping a boss right into the middle of the second round of the 3th week is just overkill, especially when you get demons. And i'm not sure, but wasn't the boss a solo fight before? I thought we had to summon it the last time, like the bonus round before, which was a good thing, since it gave at least some room for healing up properly again. It also feels like enemies spawn a whole lot faster and that there's only one booster per round.

Not to mention that some fire/poison DoT effects can last from the end of round one into round two, which means you go damaged into fighting the next fresh batch of enemies.

Anyway, a player that has reached 18k IL has no chance of playing this event through, aside from using Health Stones frequently, i also upgraded my epic Ioun Stone of Might to legendary, and refined my Bonding Runestones to Rank 11, and got another IL 1250 armor piece from a Juma Bag... 19k IL, closing in on 20k and it's still a [censored] [censored] [censored] fight to get through. :#

@ any "content creators" or Devs playing through this event, i'd like to see you try it with a new 18k IL character...
    Want to know why?
  • coolgor28#5062 coolgor28 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    Why a 18k player need to finish this event .

Second the difficulty is appropriate for so much goodies it gives, use whatever you have to finish it.

Now for gear you can gear up fast only doing heroic in valehnas and juma baggs. Buy some blue comp gear 3 rank 9 bondings.

Now this event is solo event is not easy is not ment to be cake walk so stop with this what new player will do why I can't with 18k il .
    Guild

The imaginary Friends

Main Kingslayer.jr(barb)
    greywynd said:

I quit last week. Being frustrated by HAMSTER isn't a challenge.

Im deeply disappointed really that a toon who has progressed loads is weaker in the event, or the event has got stupidly tough.

And yeah last time the Boss Mob was more of a solo fight I thought? Or at least trash mobs were easier to kill before the Boss appeared?

One main problem is if you have two single target attacks and if you dont kill two ranged mobs with those [which happens to me frequently] you have a real chance of dying.

A

Why a 18k player need to finish this event .

Second the difficulty is appropriate for so much goodies it gives, use whatever you have to finish it.

Now for gear you can gear up fast only doing heroic in valehnas and juma baggs. Buy some blue comp gear 3 rank 9 bondings.

Now this event is solo event is not easy is not ment to be cake walk so stop with this what new player will do why I can't with 18k il .

[Also I am disappointed that the goodies; Orange insignia, ok thats great, but you can only get two for doing six days of misery and chugging health stones and pots]

I get its end game content, but why are 26k iL toons struggling or removing enchants? Thats just stupid.

I am just very deflated. I build up my toon, and find it harder. That makes no sense in an MMO and if it continues, players will quit.
  • coolgor28#5062 coolgor28 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    I don't know why so much hate for 10 min or now just like 5 min a day and can make millions . And let's say you waste like 100 stones are like what 60k and most have free anyway.

If you are struggling when you are 26k go more defence crit avoidance cap this and don't let them flank you. Kill ranger adds first .

But really this is the most fast event to do and get payed .

Just play get you tokens and buy things .
    Guild

The imaginary Friends

Main Kingslayer.jr(barb)
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    16th day. Got demons. Finished, but it wasn't funny at all. Now, It looks like 3rd week is harder than 2nd. It wasn't like this before.
    edited May 2020
    1. Why shouldn't a 18k IL character be able to get through this event? Is your personal world going to collapse, because someone else might get a legendary mount in a year or so?

2. The difficulty isn't even the same within this event.
    2.a. Get devils, and you have a good chance at finishing it with a lower IL character.
    2.b. Get demons, and you're up youknowwhatcreek without a paddle.
    2.c. or what's the point of scaling this event, when there're ways for players with high IL characters to bypass it?

3. Getting fitting equipment from Juma's Surprise bags is up to RNGesus, and sometimes he just loves to drown you in chickens again and again, or may be you'll get some useless uncommon or rare companion on a good day. And yes, i have rows of chickens to proof that, any character bound pet should be flagged as unique, so that we'll only get one of those damn things. I just hope that when the pet bag is full with chickens, they stop dropping and don't spill over into my normal inventory too...

4. I'm not asking for making the event a "cake walk", but i would like to see this event brought down from the frustrating to a challenging difficulty for many players.
    Want to know why?
    Week three day two.

Demons are insane difficulty. For me anyway. Just not worth it, MASSIVE overkill.

I left and came back until I got Devils to try that out. Easier, but really almost impossible. Round 1 not too bad.

But Round 2? I have tried it a few times, thought about different tactics. Even tried around a few different companions. Simply too much stuff to kill in too small a space [for me]. You have to be able to take down three or four mobs at a time in seconds. Just dont have the killing power and staying alive power.

Tried standing back to the wall, works for a bit. But then BOOM dead.

Shield Powerup gets worn down in seconds.

Health Power up isnt enough to keep you alive.

Boots power up is good, but unless you take down ALL mobs they kill you with range attack.

Skull atttack ... nearly worked... used it on Boss and took him down to 20% hp, launched a fuill assault on him but was killed instantly.

The Boss Mob just hits way too hard, combined with the other mobs its insane.

Frankly I more or less give up.

I tried.

Week three, day two, Part Two

Ok so I sat and had a think.

Decided to just drop my item level to just over 20k and entered the Hell Pit area.

Played around with some old equipment [Makos' Signet! Ring of Molting!] and raised my Defence stats as best as I could with what I got.

Boy what a change!

Mobs seemed to die easier, spawn more slowly and hit less hard. Round 1 was fairly easy, easier than at 26.5k scaled down.

I expected to get owned in Round 2, but again, mobs spawned more slowly, hit less hard and died easier. I managed to get down to a one on one fight with The Beast, which took maybe 5 minutes or so. But he went down without too much risk. Keep clear of the red splats, use the odd health stone or heal pot. And just took him down at my own pace.

Seems to me that there are 2 factors here [would love to hear from an expert].

Scaling takes your stats down BUT original item level scales the monsters up? Or seemed to me the respawn rate was MUCH higher with my original set up. Any thoughts on this?

I am REALLY pleased to have beaten this Day Two of Week Three, but it still seems that it isnt WAI.

Epilogue

When I came out of Hell Pit my item level was just over 24k, so maybe there is a sweet spot somewhere?