test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Low Player Base Population

krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
Today, right now as I write this, the total number of players currently in the game is 24 players.

That isn't enough to do anything when you start to consider a possible average player, how many are new players, how many are middle of the road players, how many actually can handle end game? I was wondering why I would que into REQ and see players using the trash free artifacts that are given when you first sign up for Undermountain quest chain. Where they were dps class and being out damaged by a devout cleric.

Can this game sustain itself with 24 players, when players realize they can't run any content because there isnt a big enough player pool to pull from to run anything with, so they in turn quit playing?

Comments

• Options
    wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    How do you see total players online?
    Elite Whaleboy
  • Options
    milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    PC population is way higher than xbox. When I have played on PC, the chat is constantly rolling by with people doing things, and such. Xbox on the other hand has chat with crickets in a lot of places...
  • Options
    edenfay#2737 edenfay Member Posts: 55 Arc User

PC population is way higher than xbox. When I have played on PC, the chat is constantly rolling by with people doing things, and such. Xbox on the other hand has chat with crickets in a lot of places...

Are you sure people don't just chat more often when a keyboard is naturally, comfortably close at hand?
  • Options
    kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

there is no chance with winter event on and daily free handouts/ gifts per character that there is 24 players online.
    maybe in a particular zone/instance ..but certainly not total online
    Have you tried actually looking for people in the winter event zone ? maybe try counting there instead and let us know of your results ...I look forward to them

So at the moment I am showing 22 instances of the winter event active. Each with between 5 and 35 people in it, a rough total of around 600 players just doing the winter event right now. Lets not also forget it is double RP ... so there are quite a few CODG instances going as well ... so if you do indeed stand in PE and feel a bit lonely, it's not because nobody is playing the game .... it's because nobody is standing around in PE.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited December 2019

chat doesn't show how many people are online. it just shows how many are talking. everyone on pc has a keyboard. not everyone on xbox has one. it's a pia to type on xbox without one.

right now just from steam there are 2k on pc https://steamcharts.com/app/109600 and this is a much smaller sample size than the other launchers.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    krumple01 said:

Today, right now as I write this, the total number of players currently in the game is 24 players.

That isn't enough to do anything when you start to consider a possible average player, how many are new players, how many are middle of the road players, how many actually can handle end game? I was wondering why I would que into REQ and see players using the trash free artifacts that are given when you first sign up for Undermountain quest chain. Where they were dps class and being out damaged by a devout cleric.

Can this game sustain itself with 24 players, when players realize they can't run any content because there isnt a big enough player pool to pull from to run anything with, so they in turn quit playing?

How did you figure out there are only 24 players?
    At that moment, my character was lagging and rubberbanding because there were too many people doing stuff in Winter Festival.
    If you are talking about only 24 players in your instance. You have a busy instance already when the max is usually 40.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    24 online probably is wrong, and the steam charts only shows part of the NW population.

However, it is reasonable to assume that a constant percentage of the population joins game from steam.. which means NW has lost a significant part of the population the last year. Which also is supported by the amount of players we see online as well as the reduced Zen flow through the ZAX.
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    krumple01 said:

Where are you that you are only seeing 24 players and are you seeing 24 players in ALL instances of the game - or just in your instance?

I'm guessing just your instance and that probably isn't an accurate representation of how many people are playing Neverwinter as @kiraskytower already mentioned.

But I will say this, either they opened more instances for the Simril Festival or there are fewer people participating when I'm there be cause it isn't nearly as crowded as I remember it being on previous years.

DD~
  • Options
    At this moment, there are 21 instance in Winter Festival and 3 of them are full with 35 players.
    Winter Festival is just one of the many zones.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    At the time I posted it, yes total was 24 online. What you do is go to your social tab and Find a Player tab and in the search box you can put in just simply the letter "a" and it will find all players even if they don't have an "a" in their name. At the time I wrote my original post the total was 24. No this doesn't mean only players with a letter "a" in their name. It was total players online at that moment. During other times of the day there are more than 24 on.
  • Options
    agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    The players that choose to remain hidden can't be found with the search, just so you know
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    krumple01 said:

At the time I posted it, yes total was 24 online. What you do is go to your social tab and Find a Player tab and in the search box you can put in just simply the letter "a" and it will find all players even if they don't have an "a" in their name. At the time I wrote my original post the total was 24. No this doesn't mean only players with a letter "a" in their name. It was total players online at that moment. During other times of the day there are more than 24 on.

At this moment, using this method, it shows 100 players in which less than 30 are in Winter Festival.
    In Winter Festival, I count over 300 before I stop counting.
  • Options
    gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

Ehm... just letting you know that this game feature is.... well... you know.... broken, since day 1.
    Same with guild search... and any other part of social tab.

Sure it doesnt change a fact that game population is lower then ever... its a pale shadow of its former glory....but definetly higher than 24 total....
  • Options
    nemesrichnemesrich Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    krumple01 said:

only steam client pc:
    https://steamcharts.com/app/109600
  • Options
    anoreksjaanoreksja Member Posts: 113 Arc User

Today, right now as I write this, the total number of players writing on the forums is 1.

I know this because I don't see anyone else typing right at this second.

Neverwinter is dying.

To be honest, i've lost hope that developers can save this game from total falling. Recently I removed good players from my friend-list in game, who have not logged into the game for a long time. Now I have only 3-4 players:(
  • Options
    milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User

Are you sure people don't just chat more often when a keyboard is naturally, comfortably close at hand?
    Yes, the weekends on Xbox are really chatty. Certain hours of the day mon-fri are chattier than others. When I've been on PC at those same hours its always chatty af...

• Options
    chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I find it hard to believe that there were only 24 players, at any one time on Neverwinter... yeah maybe 24 players in a particular instance, but that doesn't mean only 24 people playing Neverwinter.

Something that was correctly I believe, brought up on the last TWITCH broadcast is online MMO's such as Neverwinter seem to have universally, lost their luster... but they also said they are looking for ways to reverse this trend in @cryptic games in particular, including Neverwinter.

Maybe one factor to the declining playerbase (everyone has an opinion) may be due to the currently preferred platforms people are choosing to play on.

I think fewer people are wanting to be tied down to stationary platforms like PC's and consoles and instead are choosing to play on mobile platforms like smartphones (too bad we don't have Gateway anymore huh?).

But then that's just my thoughts.
  • Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

That is not how the friend search engine works.
    That is not how you determine the number of active players.

A drop in the player base is likely.
    The causes are many and real.
    But this post is bollocks.

Please focus on productive recommendations to Cryptic about important topics like class balance, dungeon content, class interdependence, reward systems and ingame QoL.
    Speculative non-statistic/non-data hyperbole posts like this do not help us.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options
    matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    chidion said:

I find it hard to believe that there were only 24 players, at any one time on Neverwinter... yeah maybe 24 players in a particular instance, but that doesn't mean only 24 people playing Neverwinter.

Something that was correctly I believe, brought up on the last TWITCH broadcast is online MMO's such as Neverwinter seem to have universally, lost their luster... but they also said they are looking for ways to reverse this trend in @cryptic games in particular, including Neverwinter.

Maybe one factor to the declining playerbase (everyone has an opinion) may be due to the currently preferred platforms people are choosing to play on.

I think fewer people are wanting to be tied down to stationary platforms like PC's and consoles and instead are choosing to play on mobile platforms like smartphones (too bad we don't have Gateway anymore huh?).

But then that's just my thoughts.

+1
    Yea gateway would have been good right about now huh? At a minimum it would have been a possible feeder to the game if not the new way to play.

God I hope:

isn't true, the last time they "fixed" that, they came up with the guild mod(s)(s)(s) and fix(s)(s)(s)(s)...(s)(s)...

They bought into that BS psychologist: Force them to play together, they will care together and become friends. Friends stay with the game longer out of obligation to each other. They didn't understand the converse truism as well, friends will quit together and join another game with the same obligatory zeal when frustrated or infuriated. The later mods provided that frustration and anger for mass unplugs, I know, I'm the only surviving member of my guild :)

• Options
    chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    matthattr said:

-snip-

They bought into that BS psychologist: Force them to play together, they will care together and become friends. Friends stay with the game longer out of obligation to each other. They didn't understand the converse truism as well, friends will quit together and join another game with the same obligatory zeal when frustrated or infuriated. The later mods provided that frustration and anger for mass unplugs, I know, I'm the only surviving member of my guild :)

Silly me...

I'm no psychologist or any other kind of gaming trend guru, but I always thought people came to a game, and stayed, because they enjoyed playing that game. Not because anyone felt they made true and meaningful friendships in an online game.

There is one thing I consider particularly insightful in what you said and in truth I hadn't considered it previously, as much as people claim players will stay in a game because of acquaintances they've developed in the game - chances are there are probably just as likely to quit or consider quitting when their friends quit.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" - Newton