Options

"The game is just not fun anymore"

1235»

Comments

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    jimmypdt said:

I pick rat poison. Did... did I win??

Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "...I drank what?"
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

Personally, if it is not here, it is not here until it is here. Nobody knows about the future.

The Sage of sages, Yogi Berra couldn't have said it any better.
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited January 2020

OK, lets look at the money flow in detail.
    The only real money income for Cryptic, directly from the game (not from sources outside the game) is through ZEN sales.
    They sell ZEN for real money. As far as I am aware, they do not sell anything else directly to the players.

#1 Some players want ZEN and offer AD (no income for Cryptic)
    #2 Some players spend the ZEN they bought for real money directly in the ZEN store
    #3 Some players use the ZEN they bought from real money, to get AD.

-snip-

I think you overlooked something, Neverwinter used to make some of their revenue from selling packs.

I myself bought five Guardian of Neverwinter packs, two friends that I talked into playing the game as Christmas presents, two for relatives when the started to play much later and one for myself... Of course back then the packs the game sold for money were worth much more than the ones being offered currently.

At the time I thought the packs were a little pricy at $59 each, but the packs back then offered account wide epic companions, account wide epic mounts, respec token, Adventurer's Helper Pack, extra character slots and the first three also included 600,000 Astral Diamonds that seeing how they compare both in worth and price to what packs offer currently they were more than worth the price.

Slowly items in the pack(s) were either removed or restrictions placed on them, for example account wide items became one per account, some items in the new packs are only of better value in specific (Chult or Barovia) areas and the prices doubled (or at one time more than doubled) - seems to me players are paying much more these packs and getting much less by comparison.

I believe Neverwinter knows how to increase their revenue, but for whatever reason are reluctant or not allowed to do so.

But then that's just my casual opinion.
    DD~
  • Options
    autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,135 Arc User
    dionchi said:

OK, lets look at the money flow in detail.
    The only real money income for Cryptic, directly from the game (not from sources outside the game) is through ZEN sales.
    They sell ZEN for real money. As far as I am aware, they do not sell anything else directly to the players.

#1 Some players want ZEN and offer AD (no income for Cryptic)
    #2 Some players spend the ZEN they bought for real money directly in the ZEN store
    #3 Some players use the ZEN they bought from real money, to get AD.

-snip-

I think you overlooked something, Neverwinter used to make some of their revenue from selling packs.

I myself bought five Guardian of Neverwinter packs, two friends that I talked into playing the game as Christmas presents, two for relatives when the started to play much later and one for myself... Of course back then the packs the game sold for money were worth much more than the ones being offered currently.

At the time I thought the packs were a little pricy at $59 each, but the packs back then offered account wide epic companions, account wide epic mounts, respec token, Adventurer's Helper Pack, extra character slots and the first three also included 600,000 Astral Diamonds that seeing how they compare both in worth and price to what packs offer currently they were more than worth the price.

Slowly items in the pack(s) were either removed or restrictions placed on them, for example account wide items became one per account, some items in the new packs are only of better value in specific (Chult or Barovia) areas and the prices doubled (or at one time more than doubled) - seems to me players are paying much more these packs and getting much less by comparison.

I believe Neverwinter knows how to increase their revenue, but for whatever reason are reluctant or not allowed to do so.

But then that's just my casual opinion.
    I have bought so many of the campaign packs and special packs like the Moon Elf / Dragon Born etc and they were/are freaking fantastic. I purchased them as soon as I could. But just as you say the newer ones just aren't worth it even at half the price expect the Gith pack which I felt was like a throw back to the good ones.

I have spent so much dosh on this game but only when I feel it's worth it. It feels to me the newer packs seem to be aimed at new or newer players or players with just one or two toons leaving me with nothing. My spending has gone to the basement because they just don't seem to want to sell me anything any more, for the most part.

I wish they could find a middle ground.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Well, it's not like many of us haven't been suggesting and explaining to the people in charge around here which items would sell and why over a very long time now... but it feels like they look at that kind of player feedback and then do the opposite instead.

I mean, the bottom line is not that complicated,
    account-wide stuff (bags, companions, mounts, and so on) in the store -> good,
    character bound stuff (...) in the store -> bad,
    and that's it. Considering how every new module can and in most cases will run the players over, no one likes to see his or her investment of time and/or money being tied down into a single character with the only option to buy some "re-released" HAMSTER over and over again.

Those newer module packs aren't worth it, even at a 25% discount and from whatever perspective you look at them. Btw. i thought there were 25% discount coupons dropping in game for DLCs as well, were those removed or replaced with 20% discount coupons for that department, or is RNGesus simply messing around with me... again?

Anyway, i'm still waiting for the Class Packs to return in an improved version to the shop again, but looking at all those bad choices over the last year, especially at the end of it and around the Winter Festival, i'm not holding my breath for it.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    well, I believe it is fun...

and no I do not believe it is perfect... but always fun

I like some mods better than others yes and frankly some are not good at all... that said I like most.

I would have liked a follow on to Ravenloft but such is life.

The devs are doing a great job

Snake
  • Options
    tanais58cranetanais58crane Member Posts: 111 Arc User

akemnos said:

putzboy78 said:

I think the situation is a lot more nuanced than that. Firstly, yes even for GH20s the attrition rate for members is double what it used to be (it used to be 2% attrition a week, now it’s 4%). What does this mean? It means more time spent recruiting and less time spent playing if you’re trying to keep your guild population up. And why wouldn’t you, you need a social network in game to entertain your guildies.

Now take that attrition rate and the fact you aren’t just loosing new players, your also loosing seasoned vets. Your old standbys that logged in daily for years. Now you got cultural issues to contend with as your new blood (less than a year in game) out populates your old blood. So your contending with integration issues which frustrates… well everyone.

Module 18 is not going to keep the players engaged. Simply put, it’s terrible. Recycled mechanics on a recycled map, with recycled mobs. Who the F wants to kill chickens every day, move that nonsense fetch quest to summer fest.

The icing on the cake is @cwhitesidedev#9752 on live stream basically saying we can expect fewer mods per year (as if our 1 mod last year wasn’t bad enough) and the mods are going to be smaller (but higher quality).

Here is my theory. WotC bought Tuque Games. So WotC doesn’t care about this game anymore as they are as long as the content released doesn’t hurt their IP. They are milking the last dime out of Neverwinter. Unlike kaligold who thinks @cwhitesidedev#9752 is the Peter Grant of Neverwinter, I believe he is more like the Bobs from Office Space. Here to cut the fat, but we will be no better for it.

Hi Putzboy,

Quick correction. I said fewer more meaningful mods and a faster release cadence in between. More details to follow.

And I am here to do the very best i can for the team, the game and the community. I get you have heard it all before and I don't expect your trust but moving forward there is going to be a lot more transparency with the community and a lot more engagement and I fully intend for us to evolve this world together.

Chris
    The watcher weapons were supposedly in the game as an "Easter Egg" and we were told multiple times by both moderators and the community manager that it indeed was working and we were getting close to finding the correct trigger. Then a random patch happened and all of sudden doing the exact same thing we were doing prior was suddenly triggering it. It was obvious to absolutely everyone that they HAMSTER up and it wasn't working like they said. I do not think any suitable explanation or apology was ever given about it. This was on top of the general malaise concerning mod 16
    I remember this well - it was a series of lies from the developer team. The Watcher Set WASN'T in game, it was a lie. We were lied to repeatedly. And no apology was given. This was such a bad move on NWO part.

Let's call it what it really was, it wasn't lies, it was egregious miscommunication among the developer team.

I doubt they logged in to the forums and said "Hey, I am going to lie to the entire player base to lead them on a wild goose chase, there is no way that'll backfire in any way!"

It was closer to:
    Developer/Community manager - "Hey Dev A. Is the Watcher set dropping?"
    Dev A - "- Tests in the developer's build to save time without realizing that the drop table isn't working on live. - Yep."

The stars are falling, and the old gods silent as death, with the blood sworn to rip you down from the night sky, what cost will pose too high?