test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bile has further disrupted the class balance.

sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
edited October 2019 in Player Feedback (PC)
Before i begin, i just want to state that this post is not aimed at any person or class. It is simply to scrutinise the current balance of dps classes in the game.

After the balance update, how many Barb,clerics or warlocks do you see topping the charts? So with that in mind, we can all admit that there is still a significant disparity between the 4 dps classes and the top 3 pure dps classes. This is not the subject of this post so please don't discuss this.

The point i want to make is that Bile has further increased this disparity. If you do the maths and consider Cleric,warlock, wiz, fighter and rogue at 114% base crit sev + potions , then vorpal R14 should provide (0.5 * 0.2) / (1 + 0.5 * 1.14) = 6.4% increase in dps (thanks to solanacea) + 5% initial DOT = 11.4%. Please note, Bile procs 2x per hit, one for the initial 5% proc and the second proc is the 40 mag. On the other hand, Vorpal procs once per hit i.e. the intial 5% per hit but the crit sev bonus will have to be added yourself on top of the % shown for Vorpal damage on ACT.

With my cleric, i am doing 6-7% or so with Bile. I am pretty sure that clerics uses the least amount of at wills or any Dots than any other class, so they should benefit the least from Bile, which has no internal cooldown for procs. Wiz do around 8%-10% dps with bile, considering the crit chance is 50%, otherwise if lower, the bile % dmg will be higher. If we assume Barb and ranger at around 145% crit sev with potions, they get around 5.8% more dps with vorpal R14+ 5% DOT = 10.8%. Few Barb tests (below) show that they are doing around 11-13% with bile (when calculated at 50% crit). Ranger proc bile even less than wiz.

With that in mind, the order at which classes benefit the most from Bile (in my opinion) is:

Barb / Rogue> Wiz> Ranger/Warlock>Fighter>Cleric

Dots apparently proc Bile but not all of them. Similarly, not all abilities proc bile i.e. if they are class features or class feats . Lastly, Bile does proc on multiple targets but since the main 40mag procs after 4 secs, more experienced players consider Lightning enchantment BiS for trash.

The maths above is not without some discrepancies but the order of which class Bile benefits should more or less not change. If we specifically focus on that order, you can see that other than barb and rogue, Vorpal is BiS for all other classes. It seems like rogues may benefit more from bile than a barb i.e. 2-3% max more.

Suggestions

Why not let everyone benefit as equally as possible from bile? If bile proc magnitude was scaled to the amount of magnitude you use, then classes that can spam encounters can benefit equally to those that rely heavily on at-will.

EDIT:

Findings:
When i made this post, the presumption was that vorpal did only 4.75% dps and because of that Bile seemed to be really strong, especially for rogue/wiz which are already top 2 dps classes. But now, it seems that bile is BiS for Barb and Rogue only, the former is not a problem but with no tests regarding the latter, i cannot say exactly how much they benefit from Bile in comparison to Vorpal.

@noworries#8859 Is Bile working as intented?
@thefabricant @tom#6998 Is there somthing i am missing out above?
Post edited by sobi#1980 on

Comments

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    sobi#1980 said:

Before i begin, i just want to state that this post is not aimed at any person or class. It is simply to scrutinise the current balance of dps classes in the game.

After the balance update, how many Barb,clerics or warlocks do you see topping the charts? So with that in mind, we can all admit that there is still a significant disparity between the 4 dps classes and the top 3 pure dps classes. This is not the subject of this post so please don't discuss this.

The point i want to make is that Bile has further increased this disparity. If you do the maths and consider Cleric,warlock, wiz, fighter and rogue at 114% base crit sev + potions , then vorpal should provide (20/214) x 0.5 = 4.7% increase in dps. I Just want to talk about the additional effects, not the 5% increase damage that we get from both vorpal and bile.

With my cleric, i am doing 4% or so with Bile. I am pretty sure that clerics uses the least amount of at wills and has no Dots, than any other class, so they benefit the least from Bile. Barb are doing 14%-16% more dps with Bile and Wiz is doing around 8%-10%. If we assume Barb and ranger at around 145% crit sev with potions, they get 4% more dps with vorpal. So if cleric can manage 4% with bile, it should be Bis for all classes in my opinion.

With that in mind, the order at which classes benefit the most from Bile (in my opinion) is:

Barb > Rogue> Wiz> Ranger/Warlock>Fighter>Cleric

Dots apparently proc Bile but not all of them. Similarly, not all abilities proc bile so the "number of hits" on ACT is not the amount of Bile procs you will be getting. Lastly, Bile doesn't proc on multiple targets so it's garbage on aoe. As already mentioned by more experienced players, Lightning enchantment is BiS for trash.

The maths above is not without some discrepancies but the order of which Bile benefits should more or less not change. If we specifically focus on that order, you can see that most of us will be happy with Barb benefiting from bile as their damage is lackluster already. But when a 5%+ damage increase is added on already top 2 dps classes (wiz/rogue), the disparity between them and non-meta classes further increases. Mind you, rogues should be just behind barb and doing at least 7-8% more dps than a cleric with vorpal, at same rank. That is a lot of damage, considering the disparity in dps between these 2 classes was already huge.

Suggestions

Why not let everyone benefit as equally as possiblef from bile? If bile proc magnitude was scaled to the amount of magnitude you use, then classes that can spam encounters can benefit equally to those that rely heavily on at-will.

Please any suggestions on this would be appreciated, and it would be helpful if you could provide data on your class. What i can confidently say is that cleric should be benfiting the least from Bile, but has no other alternative other than vorpal to go with. That means, now other than class disparity, gear also takes them further away from pure dps classes and this being true for other non-meta classes as well.

lightning is supposed to be bis for aoe stuff. so that should figure in too.
  • djnasty93djnasty93 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Sorry, a strange question, if overall dmg its low Bilethorn will do an higher %?
    Like, my owlbear on hunter path do 5% of dmg, on warden it do less than 3% dmg... cause, first hunter got higher hits per second, second cause hunter path making lower dmg than warden.
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited October 2019

lightning is supposed to be bis for aoe stuff. so that should figure in too.

Sorry, i don't understand. Other than Arcanist, rogues and rangers woop our HAMSTER.es on AOE with having no real disadvantage as being melee especially against trash. But your answer is really weird, you shouldn't be balancing ST in comparison to AOE. We have a disparity of like 40% from warlock to rogue and you telling me that was done so because warlocks are doing 40% more aoe? A well played rogue has beaten me on countless times in aoe as a dps cleric, and i was wondering all that time that my aoe was great.

Sorry if i really didn't understand your comment.
    djnasty93 said:

Sorry, a strange question, if overall dmg its low Bilethorn will do an higher %?
    Like, my owlbear on hunter path do 5% of dmg, on warden it do less than 3% dmg... cause, first hunter got higher hits per second, second cause hunter path making lower dmg than warden.

So bile more or less infinitely procs. So the more dots and at-wills you do per second, the more bile procs you will get. Though, not all hits get procd by bile so i am not too sure if there is a limit to how many times you can proc bile per second and etc. But, generally more at-wills and Dots = more bile dps
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    The stupid question is: Why again ONE weapon enchantment played out as significantly better option than others?

Seriously, we have two other pieces that illuminate enemies with variable shades of fire - and previously BIS feytouched and dread, that perform... eh, not so well for any purposes at all.
    In my eyes, the performance of bilethorn is a bug. And I fear it will be corrected shortly. (actually, we had !exactly! the same scenario here already)

As far as I can tell the goal is to make all enchantments generally useless. In that "utopian" vision, weapon enchantments are just an astronomical investment to add 5% damage to your arsenal, you only have to choose the colour you enjoy the most.
    rikitaki said:

The stupid question is: Why again ONE weapon enchantment played out as significantly better option than others?

Seriously, we have two other pieces that illuminate enemies with variable shades of fire - and previously BIS feytouched and dread, that perform... eh, not so well for any purposes at all.
    In my eyes, the performance of bilethorn is a bug. And I fear it will be corrected shortly. (actually, we had !exactly! the same scenario here already)

As far as I can tell the goal is to make all enchantments generally useless. In that "utopian" vision, weapon enchantments are just an astronomical investment to add 5% damage to your arsenal, you only have to choose the colour you enjoy the most.

Sorry i have to disagree. I believe the dev's really want weapon enchants to be a thing because of how costly they are to upgrade. Why wouldn't the dev's exploit this in their favour? Second, Bile isn't bugged, the maths is so easy tbh because you just have to multiply the number of hits with 40mag. If you get like 240 odd bile procs in a min that barbs get around that is a wooping 9600mag over a min.

My post is trying to get across, that i get it, other than vorpal something else needs to be Bis for the dev's to make money. But at least, make it so that all classes benefit equally from it = more people buy it. Right now as a cleric dps, i have no incentive to buy it and my dps is further away from rogue/wiz than before because of Bile being just that good on them. My suggestion tackles this situation perfectly where everyone benefits equally.
    sobi#1980 said:

I believe the dev's really want weapon enchants to be a thing because of how costly they are to upgrade.

Well, yeah, that would be a logical attitude. But that is not what is being implemented for a long time now.

Anyway, you further explained why is bilethorn behaving like it is - and I will repeat: there is no reason why it is like that. In dps it should be roughly equal to plaguefire an vastly inferior to flaming. That is the issue - bilet should have the slow effect, plague debuffs - it is the flaming that is supposed to add some extra damage as it does not have other effect.
    Bilethorn was designed as a control enchant, not dps. (=is closer to frost in design)

I seriously do no longer expect that anything would make sense in this game, however Bilethorn is clearly behaving outside its design - or other enchants are crippled too much. My pick points to the second option, but when devs are deciding between nerf and boost...

rikitaki said:

sobi#1980 said:

I believe the dev's really want weapon enchants to be a thing because of how costly they are to upgrade.

Well, yeah, that would be a logical attitude. But that is not what is being implemented for a long time now.

Anyway, you further explained why is bilethorn behaving like it is - and I will repeat: there is no reason why it is like that. In dps it should be roughly equal to plaguefire an vastly inferior to flaming. That is the issue - bilet should have the slow effect, plague debuffs - it is the flaming that is supposed to add some extra damage as it does not have other effect.
    Bilethorn was designed as a control enchant, not dps. (=is closer to frost in design)

I seriously do no longer expect that anything would make sense in this game, however Bilethorn is clearly behaving outside its design - or other enchants are crippled too much. My pick points to the second option, but when devs are deciding between nerf and boost...

Bile is working as intented, i repeat. That is because Bile does not have any cooldowns and can proc multiple times within a second. It also requires no stacks and does 40mag flat damage all the time. That says a lot. The other enchants have had nerfs, but it is clear that the dev's want only one enchant to be BiS for all classes. Which as i exaplined above that even cleric is roughtly benefiting equally with Bile and Vorpal so it should be Bis for all other classes. To me, it's a no brainer because competition for one enchant makes it more in demand and increases its value than if multiple enchants were in demand. The dev's think the population is illiterate or something.
  • nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    % weapon dmg proc enchants have always been better on melee classes. Remember prominence? It was the top pick for a barbs only. Everyone else used feytouched. Bile is a little bit better than vorpal for my barb now, and it's pretty good for a rogue, but vorpal is still the best for wizards and other caster classes (other than lightning for warlock curse spreading).
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
    sobi#1980 said:

Bile is working as intented, i repeat.

Well, repeat whatever you want. Control enchant happening to give the best dps output means it will not last for long. Repeatedly proven over the years here. =)

• apollo#5199 apollo Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    nl54#3191 said:

...other than lightning for warlock curse spreading....

Lightning isn't doing that for a VERY long time now. Only your direct hits (encounters, atwills etc) can proc lesser curse. I don't mean it personally for you but I wish people would stop blindly believing "guides".

You can see the proof in the small video bellow. While I attack the middle dummy, you can see the lightning procs to the ones left and right and even tho I use all consuming curse, lesser curse isn't applied to the other two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IobDuj4UvoA

Post edited by apollo#5199 on
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    The crit sev is a multipler now, 114% is x2.14
    If you add 20%, the multipler is then 2.34, no need to divide 20 through the 214 as you did to say 5%. The multiplier goes up .2 on top from 20% crit sev. I tested on 100-100 weapon all the way from 100% crit sev to 140%. Multipler went from 2 to 2.4 on crit hits. 20% crit sev x 50% chance is 10% dps, and then also multiples by combat adv as well as its own multiplier.
    crit sev of 100% x2 base hit

crit sev of 110% x 2.1 base hit

crit sev of 125% x 2.25 base hit

crit sev of 130% x 2.3 base hit

crit sev of 140% x 2.4 base hit

edited October 2019
    stark760 said:

If you add 20%, the multipler is then 2.34, no need to divide 20 through the 214 as you did to say 5%. The multiplier goes up .2 on top from 20% crit sev. I tested on 100-100 weapon all the way from 100% crit sev to 140%. Multipler went from 2 to 2.4 on crit hits. 20% crit sev x 50% chance is 10% dps, and then also multiples by combat adv as well as its own multiplier.

Its not exactly like that. Check your own numbers. 20% crit severity is actually 5% damage increase overall and 10% on crit hits only.

From your act logs:

Crit hit with 110% Crit severity = 299.7
    Crit hit with 130% Crit severity = 328.2

To see the damage increase we do 328.2/299.7 = 1.095 or 9.5% on crit. Since we critic half the time (not so true for some classes) 9.5/2 = 4.75% damage increase overall when one is at 110% Crit severity. The numbers change slightly if one has different Crit severity Values.

Keep in mind that vorpal and all other enchants will also do a 5% additional hit. The above values are for Vorpal at rank 14. Other ranks offer less.

Edit: had a typo on the numbers. Thank you sobi
    Post edited by apollo#5199 on
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Just change it to an extra hit for x% of the previous hits instead of a fixed magnitude.
    edited October 2019

stark760 said:

Its not exactly like that. Check your own numbers. 20% crit severity is actually 5% damage increase overall and 10% on crit hits only.

From your act logs:

To see the damage increase we do 328.2/299.7 = 1.095 or 9.5% on crit. Since we critic half the time (not so true for some classes) 9.5/2 = 5.4% damage increase overall when one is at 110% Crit severity. The numbers change slightly if one has different Crit severity Values.

Keep in mind that vorpal and all other enchants will also do a 5% additional hit. The above values are for Vorpal at rank 14. Other ranks offer less.
    With the base hit of 142.7, the 10% crit sev equated to the same amount of damage increase each step. At 40% crit sev added to 100%, the base hit went from doubling 142.7(285.4), 140% went from 142.7 to 342.5, a change in 57.1, also 142.7 x.4 = 57.08. Yes, that's only half the time, but when it crits, it multiplies the base. Every 10% is .1 on the multiplier.

Then combat adv multiplier kicks in x that. Call it overall increase of 5%, but the total multipler for crit and flank go up much higher, the higher the crit sev. Higher the better IMO.

stark760 said:

From your act logs:

To see the damage increase we do 328.2/299.7 = 1.095 or 9.5% on crit. Since we critic half the time (not so true for some classes) 9.5/2 = 5.4% damage increase overall when one is at 110% Crit severity. The numbers change slightly if one has different Crit severity Values.

Sorry i am confused, 9.5/2 = 5.4% or is it 4.75%?

Let's go through the maths, help me if go wrong please.

Damage formula = Base damage x crit sev x CA x %dmg buffs

Lets assume Base damage = 100
    CA = 100%
    dmg buffs = X

At 110% crit sev the formula will look like this:

Damage = 100 x 2.1 x 2 x X = 420X

With addition of Vorpal, at 130% crit sev, it will look like :-1:

Damage = 100 x 2.3 x 2 x X = 460X

Damage increase = 460 / 420 = 9.5%
    9.5% x 0.5 (50% chance crit) = 4.75

The above ACT numbers confirm this i.e. 328.2/299.7 = 1.095 x 0.5% = 4.75%

My easy formula also confirms this i.e. (20/210) x 0.5 = 4.76%

Below are the ACT values of Barb, wiz and cleric dps with bilethorn Rank 12.

https://imgur.com/a/sxiLwyR

15% bile dmg for Barb at rank 12, 18.75% at rank 14.
    9% for wiz at rank 12 Bile
    7% for Cleric rank 12 Bile

So the 4.75% of Vorpal is already beaten by all of the above classes. If cleric can beat it, anyone can from my knowledge and as i have stated in my initial post.

The 5% dmg for encounters, at wills and dailies that bile and vorpal give at max rank cancels each other out.
    I don't think the bilethorn multiplies times combat adv, I guess it depends how much the bilethorn does relative your standard damage. The crit sev adds to the multiplier. Yes, its relative 5%, but it does increase, and then multiplies times the flank also. Does the bilethorn go up stronger as you get stronger? Or is it more of a flat damage, and the longer the dungeon takes, then it equates to more overall DPS? I'll have to test bilethorn to see if it is 16% better on a barb, or if it is amplified with flank.
    sobi#1980 said:

stark760 said:

From your act logs:

Sorry i am confused, 9.5/2 = 5.4% or is it 4.75%?

Let's go through the maths, help me if go wrong please.

Damage formula = Base damage x crit sev x CA x %dmg buffs

Lets assume Base damage = 100
    CA = 100%
    dmg buffs = X

At 110% crit sev the formula will look like this:

Damage = 100 x 2.1 x 2 x X = 420X

With addition of Vorpal, at 130% crit sev, it will look like :-1:

Damage = 100 x 2.3 x 2 x X = 460X

Damage increase = 460 / 420 = 9.5%
    9.5% x 0.5 (50% chance crit) = 4.75

The above ACT numbers confirm this i.e. 328.2/299.7 = 1.095 x 0.5% = 4.75%

My easy formula also confirms this i.e. (20/210) x 0.5 = 4.76%

Below are the ACT values of Barb, wiz and cleric dps with bilethorn Rank 12.

https://imgur.com/a/sxiLwyR

15% bile dmg for Barb at rank 12, 18.75% at rank 14.
    9% for wiz at rank 12 Bile
    7% for Cleric rank 12 Bile

So the 4.75% of Vorpal is already beaten by all of the above classes. If cleric can beat it, anyone can from my knowledge and as i have stated in my initial post.

The 5% dmg for encounters, at wills and dailies that bile and vorpal give at max rank cancels each other out.
    Yes apologies, it was a typo actually. I will correct my post too.
    edited October 2019
    Saw your test, I guess it depends on rotation, not sure why you'd use IBS over frenzy if not using the feat. On the small sample size, you also failed to flank on the biggest hits and missed 1 altogether. Factor that in, and the increase drops, but whatever. I'd like to see a LOMM test run I guess, small samples and %'s swing big. If you had hit with the bloodletter you missed at max(had flank and crit more than 25%), and used a different daily, frenzy, more not so fast, and more relentless(I did over 100 in 45 secs compared to 70 in your longer test) and add 2-4 mil to your test result, it drops your 18% quickly. Anyways, all good.

Edit: also a question, in the test were you hitting multiple targets? 200 strikes of bilethorn, and 120 total other swings, including steel blitz(not sure if that procs it), does it proc more than once per target per swing, or just relentless and not so fast hitting multiple targets during test?
    Post edited by stark760 on
  • abuzittinreyizabuzittinreyiz Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    stark760 said:

Saw your test, I guess it depends on rotation, not sure why you'd use IBS over frenzy if not using the feat. On the small sample size, you also failed to flank on the biggest hits and missed 1 altogether. Factor that in, and the increase drops, but whatever. I'd like to see a LOMM test run I guess, small samples and %'s swing big. If you had hit with the bloodletter you missed at max(had flank and crit more than 25%), and used a different daily, frenzy, more not so fast, and more relentless(I did over 100 in 45 secs compared to 70 in your longer test) and add 2-4 mil to your test result, it drops your 18% quickly. Anyways, all good.

Edit: also a question, in the test were you hitting multiple targets? 200 strikes of bilethorn, and 120 total other swings, including steel blitz(not sure if that procs it), does it proc more than once per target per swing, or just relentless and not so fast hitting multiple targets during test?

as the barb in the rotation himself i can say that ibs is actually better than frenzy. ibs adds 500/11.6 = 43.25 mag/cooldown while frenzy adds 700/19.4 = 36 magnitude/cooldown and frenzy adds MUCH LESS rage to you. during the test i didnt lose my combat advantage. it is just a bug that doesnt show 100% flank due to bloodletter hitting yourself without combat advantage and hitting enemy with combat advantage (probably). if you look at your own tests you will not find 100% flank combat advantage. savage advance is the best daily because of the short cast speed. crescendo has way too much cast speed and if you use it after you use tab you will lose more than 30% of your rage. i would use savage advance + lots of relentless slash instead of crescendo. 100 relentless in 45 seconds should be impossible. but the reason you do high relentless is because you use frenzy which means you will have high cooldown which will mean you have to do more at wills to get rage. and i dont know what happened during that test but my latest tests show that i do ~90 relentless slash. the test was a single target test and i didnt test if steel blitz procs bilethorn but i will say it if i test it.
    https://imgur.com/a/PXFiKBH
  • nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User

stark760 said:

as the barb in the rotation himself i can say that ibs is actually better than frenzy. ibs adds 500/11.6 = 43.25 mag/cooldown while frenzy adds 700/19.4 = 36 magnitude/cooldown and frenzy adds MUCH LESS rage to you. during the test i didnt lose my combat advantage. it is just a bug that doesnt show 100% flank due to bloodletter hitting yourself without combat advantage and hitting enemy with combat advantage (probably). if you look at your own tests you will not find 100% flank combat advantage. savage advance is the best daily because of the short cast speed. crescendo has way too much cast speed and if you use it after you use tab you will lose more than 30% of your rage. i would use savage advance + lots of relentless slash instead of crescendo. 100 relentless in 45 seconds should be impossible. but the reason you do high relentless is because you use frenzy which means you will have high cooldown which will mean you have to do more at wills to get rage. and i dont know what happened during that test but my latest tests show that i do ~90 relentless slash. the test was a single target test and i didnt test if steel blitz procs bilethorn but i will say it if i test it.
    https://imgur.com/a/PXFiKBH
    That's the same rotation I use, though often I replace IBS with Roar for faster rage generation. Relentless slash +bile = good, especially with combat advantage. Without CA, my dps is roughly the same as before the damage formula change.
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
    edited October 2019
    stark760 said:

My Barb friend has replied to your above comment and he also tested wiz. I main only cleric and because you said that at 50% crit, bile will do less for you then i have good news. At 50% , bile does around 12% dps for a barb considering ur daily crits and you get constant CA. In my cleric dps i got even less, i got no crit on my daily and i also got 32% overall crit. That's why usually i get 3.5%-4% when i dont mess up by cleric rotation and everything crits on average. I am not against barb doing more dmg, but pure dps classes doing even 1% more dmg is overkill now, it is too much favouratism at this point and time. Imagine, tomorrow gear will benefit them as well. Say goodbye to barb being dps then.
    edited October 2019
    I see the test. With no flank, I avg around 100-110 enc dps per sec, I figure that would x2 with 100% flank. Not sure why your around 85k with no flank, including the bilethorn(13k with no flank). Again, I'd like to see an LOMM test. Target dummy can't die and will continue to give the procs, which adds to the total. You did 5 of the fastest encounter, not so fast, including free procs of it, and 4 IBS, which are faster than bloodletter. You did 130 swings and got it proc 220 times. The bilethorn seems to do 7-8k avg, on your tests. Relative strength and rotation would make bilethorn look better in an avg group. In a powerful group, the dots wont hit, because they're already dead. Get an LOMM test if you can.
    You can say the IBS per sec reasoning, but you did 4 times total and less than Bloodletter. And you only flanked 50% on your biggest move, so a loss of 300k x4 on just that, and had a 1 of the 8 hit for 17k. The crit sev % is easy to test. The bilethorn, youre testing in 1 min, vs targets that cant die, looks like multiple targets(at least to CW procs), and less encounters than you should have on cooldowns(IBS and NSF should be procd more than bloodletter). I'd like to see if bilethorn is flat dmg per hit(8k avg looks like per swing), and what happens to people breaking 200k power and higher enc per sec. I think super geared players wont see the % like youre showing, and mobs dying will also impact overall damage.
    edited October 2019
    stark760 said:

stark760 said:

From your act logs:

With the base hit of 142.7, the 10% crit sev equated to the same amount of damage increase each step. At 40% crit sev added to 100%, the base hit went from doubling 142.7(285.4), 140% went from 142.7 to 342.5, a change in 57.1, also 142.7 x.4 = 57.08. Yes, that's only half the time, but when it crits, it multiplies the base. Every 10% is .1 on the multiplier.

Then combat adv multiplier kicks in x that. Call it overall increase of 5%, but the total multipler for crit and flank go up much higher, the higher the crit sev. Higher the better IMO.

You're doing the maths the wrong way. You should be comparing a critical damage with another critical damage but with higher crit sev. Not the other way around.

The formula now multiplies crit sev, so that means 100% crit sev will add 100% more dmg i.e. 2x overall. So if you were to add 10% crit sev, ofcourse you will get .1x the damage. That is common sense.

Now try to do the maths where you're comparing both critical hits. At 110% crit sev, vorpal will add 20% making it 130%. Therefore the crit increase damage from 110% (299.7) / Crit sev damage at 130% (328.2) = 9.5% increase as shown by apollo above and x 0.5 gives you 4.75%

Flank has nothing to do with your crit sev. You will x by crit sev first as in the formula and then with CA. So the formula is

Damage = Base damage x Crit sev x CA x %dmg buffs

Now lets say you get 30% overall crit, your overall damage will be lower but with higher crit it will be vice versa and that balances the rng out.

So if your base damage is100 and you have146% crit sev, then 100% crit will do 2.46x the damage with the new formula.

With 30% crit:

Damage = 100 x (0.3 x 2.46 ) x 2 x X = 147.6 with CA
    Damage without CA = 100 x (0.3 x 2.46 ) x X = 73.8 WITHOUT CA
    147.6/73.8 = 2 (CA adds 2x the damage)

Now at 50% crit:
    Damage = 100 x (0.5 x 2.46) x 2 x X= 246 with CA
    100 x (0.5 x 2.46) x X = 123

Comparing 30% crit sev with 50%

246 / 147.6 = 123/73.8 ( Crit or not, the % increase remains the same)

There is no difference if there is CA or not, the damage increase is going to be the same for crit sev. You have to remember to compare a critical strike with critical strike if you are testing crit sev otherwise you'll just be going in circles.

With that in mind, considering in all circumstances that you have 100% CA uptime and 50% crit strike, vorpal does at 110% base crit sev around 4.75% dps, without taking into account the 5% arcane damage it gives but the same applies to Bile.

Lastly i think the 40mag of bile multiplies by your base damage i.e. your weapon damage x your power. You can't test it with wooden weapon as it doesn't have weapon slot but it makes sense, as the 40mag for bile works the same way as mag for your encounters do. So 100mag = 100%weapon damage which is then multiplied with your power multiplier and that is ur base damage for the formula i believe. Then multiply it by Crit sev and CA and dmg buffs and u got your final damage.

Post edited by sobi#1980 on
    sobi#1980 said:

stark760 said:

stark760 said:

From your act logs:

You're doing the maths the wrong way. You should be comparing a critical damage with another critical damage but with higher crit sev. Not the other way around.

The formula now multiplies crit sev, so that means 100% crit sev will add 100% more dmg i.e. 2x overall. So if you were to add 10% crit sev, ofcourse you will get .1x the damage. That is common sense.

Now try to do the maths where you're comparing both critical hits. At 110% crit sev, vorpal will add 20% making it 130%. Therefore the crit increase damage from 110% (299.7) / Crit sev damage at 130% (328.2) = 9.5% increase as shown by apollo above and x 0.5 gives you 4.75%

Flank has nothing to do with your crit sev. You will x by crit sev first as in the formula and then with CA. So the formula is

Damage = Base damage x Crit sev x CA x %dmg buffs

Now lets say you get 30% overall crit, your overall damage will be lower but with higher crit it will be vice versa and that balances the rng out.

So if your base damage is100 and you have146% crit sev, then 100% crit will do 2.46x the damage with the new formula.

With 30% crit:

Damage = 100 x (0.3 x 2.46 ) x 2 x X = 147.6 with CA
    Damage without CA = 100 x (0.3 x 2.46 ) x X = 73.8 WITHOUT CA
    147.6/73.8 = 2 (CA adds 2x the damage)

Now at 50% crit:
    Damage = 100 x (0.5 x 2.46) x 2 x X= 246 with CA
    100 x (0.5 x 2.46) x X = 123

Comparing 30% crit sev with 50%

246 / 147.6 = 123/73.8 ( Crit or not, the % increase remains the same)

There is no difference if there is CA or not, the damage increase is going to be the same for crit sev. You have to remember to compare a critical strike with critical strike if you are testing crit sev otherwise you'll just be going in circles.

With that in mind, considering in all circumstances that you have 100% CA uptime and 50% crit strike, vorpal does at 110% base crit sev around 4.75% dps, without taking into account the 5% arcane damage it gives but the same applies to Bile.

And the higher the enc DPS doesn't make crit sev stronger? ok. Does it make bilethorn stronger, or is per hit 8k. It's like a tank saying owlbear equates to 10-12% of their dps, a tenebrous 10%...on a DPS, it does less relative, like youre saying. Great DPS want their crit sev to keep amplifying. Gonna have HR in our alliance run a rank 14 bilethorn and see what it does for him, ill post results. Same with my barb. Curious about what it does in LOMM and not getting kill and proc on mobs.
    If it procs in LOMM and then TOMM more than per swing, Im sold.
  • solanaceae#5995 solanaceae Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    @ OP:
    The point i want to make is that Bile has further increased this disparity. If you do the maths and consider Cleric,warlock, wiz, fighter and rogue at 114% base crit sev + potions , then vorpal should provide (20/214) x 0.5 = 4.7% increase in dps. I Just want to talk about the additional effects, not the 5% increase damage that we get from both vorpal and bile.
    The math doesn't work like that. For the 20% crit sev increase for R14 Vorpal, you should be doing (0.5 * 0.2) / (1 + 0.5 * 1.14) = 6.4% more DPS instead. This is because R14 vorpal makes your crits do 9.4% more damage, but 9.4% of a crit is worth more than 9.4% of a noncrit, so rather than just being 9.4%/2 overall at a 50% crit rate, it's skewed a little higher.

As far as my HR goes, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the R9 Bilethorn I bought (only does ~4% of my DPS according to ACT, which includes the 2.5% bonus that all wep enchantments get) so I think I'll stick to Vorpal.
  • abuzittinreyizabuzittinreyiz Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    stark760 said:

I see the test. With no flank, I avg around 100-110 enc dps per sec, I figure that would x2 with 100% flank. Not sure why your around 85k with no flank, including the bilethorn(13k with no flank). Again, I'd like to see an LOMM test. Target dummy can't die and will continue to give the procs, which adds to the total. You did 5 of the fastest encounter, not so fast, including free procs of it, and 4 IBS, which are faster than bloodletter. You did 130 swings and got it proc 220 times. The bilethorn seems to do 7-8k avg, on your tests. Relative strength and rotation would make bilethorn look better in an avg group. In a powerful group, the dots wont hit, because they're already dead. Get an LOMM test if you can.

i actually do around at least 100k dps in tests without CA too. i was lacking some of outgoing damage in preview server, had low crit rate and high ping.
    stark760 said:

You can say the IBS per sec reasoning, but you did 4 times total and less than Bloodletter. And you only flanked 50% on your biggest move, so a loss of 300k x4 on just that, and had a 1 of the 8 hit for 17k. The crit sev % is easy to test. The bilethorn, youre testing in 1 min, vs targets that cant die, looks like multiple targets(at least to CW procs), and less encounters than you should have on cooldowns(IBS and NSF should be procd more than bloodletter). I'd like to see if bilethorn is flat dmg per hit(8k avg looks like per swing), and what happens to people breaking 200k power and higher enc per sec. I think super geared players wont see the % like youre showing, and mobs dying will also impact overall damage.

and im not sure if you read what i said before. "only flanked 50% on your biggest..." im sure i mentioned that in my comment... oh yes here it is : "it is just a bug that doesnt show 100% flank due to bloodletter hitting yourself without combat advantage and hitting enemy with combat advantage (probably). if you look at your own tests you will not find 100% flank combat advantage."