test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

wizard armor

lame22334lame22334 Member Posts: 117 Arc User

anything remotely similar to this in game anywhere?

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    You can do that with Ranger or Rogue with actual armor pieces. For a Wizard or any other class you'll probably have to do fashion items.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • lame22334lame22334 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    sigh...i have a fashion look but turns off my psycrystal(orb) why cant we have staves in this game? :(
    I don't know what the original devs were thinking. Fourth Edition wizards had a choice of Staff, Wand or Orb but for some reason Cryptic went with only orbs, made them float for some reason (AFAIK they were held in PnP) and even had a quest to learn about why staves and wands didn't work anymore.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User
    Most permanent magic items, such as artifacts, were left intact at the end of the Spellplague but charged magical items were either destroyed, warped, or simply ceased to function. Items with dormant magical qualities, which were manually activated, were largely unaffected by the Spellplague.[13]
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Most permanent magic items, such as artifacts, were left intact at the end of the Spellplague but charged magical items were either destroyed, warped, or simply ceased to function. Items with dormant magical qualities, which were manually activated, were largely unaffected by the Spellplague.[13]

Not the first time i see this "lore line" to justify the fact the we dont have staffs, but you can find stafs on every caster mob, even the one in river district...

the fact is that they found it cool and not to change they would need to redo the class from 0, that is not happeing as Mr. Foss already said in live stream... (not that he havent changed mind before...)

i Realy hope to see staff user class in the future, but i dont hope for Wizard to be changed to that ...
    That lore line comes from WotC.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited September 2019
    4th edition PH had staff and wand as well as orb as available for wizard's implement. What wizards in game do with orbs, they should have been allowed to do with staves and wands. This is beside anything about classic charged magic items. 4th allowed casters to have various items to focus their spells. Orb was only one of the three options for wizard
    I'm not talking 4th edition books. I'm talking the Forgotten Realms books, wherein Neverwinter is located.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 915 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Has anyone even seen a Mage with a staff or a wand? Just about every mage that I've ever seen portrayed or read about at least had access to a staff (or stave) or a wand and from what I read, "off hand" implements are supposed to be disallowed.

But back to staves and wands, often staves have something attached to the end to store or augment their power, wands however are basically just relatively sticks. Orbs being artifacts retained their magical properties after the fall - but no wands or staves (which themselves could be artifacts) survived the Spellplague? To be that's pushing the boundaries of incredulity just a tiny bit.

Neverwinter we get "orbs", only orbs and not a great variety of orbs at that, with most being little more than copies of previous of types of orbs.

How about at least giving Neverwinter mages the choice of being able to place their orb on the end of a artifact staff for a +1 (with no refinement option) to all the orb's basic characteristics?

That would be novel.
    DD~
    4th edition PH had staff and wand as well as orb as available for wizard's implement.> @greywynd said:
    > I'm not talking 4th edition books. I'm talking the Forgotten Realms books, wherein Neverwinter is located.

"Forgotten Realms books" are all tied to the edition of the game that they were created for. Anything relating to the Spellplague at the time that the Neverwinter game was created was based on Fourth Edition. Fifth Edition has done as much as possible to erase the Spellplague as relevant to the game world, barring historical events that it infuenced, such as the destruction of Chult as a country. This distinction you are asserting is basically meaningless.
    The distinction of wanting a wand or a staff in place of an orb is meaningless unless, and until, the company is willing to take the time to redesign the wizard and all their animations.
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    pitshade said:

4th edition PH had staff and wand as well as orb as available for wizard's implement.> @greywynd said:

> I'm not talking 4th edition books. I'm talking the Forgotten Realms books, wherein Neverwinter is located.

"Forgotten Realms books" are all tied to the edition of the game that they were created for. Anything relating to the Spellplague at the time that the Neverwinter game was created was based on Fourth Edition. Fifth Edition has done as much as possible to erase the Spellplague as relevant to the game world, barring historical events that it infuenced, such as the destruction of Chult as a country. This distinction you are asserting is basically meaningless.

One thing though is that 4th edition was not created with the Forgotton Realms in mind. the official campaign setting for 4th edition was Eberron. A splat book for the Realms was eventually included and well it does do a good job of integrating the lore of the spell plague, it was pretty much an addition to the game as it already was.

As for this game other than the linkletter quest and the Chasm zone it sort of shies away from the spell plague and never really follows the rules of it in later modules where you do see things like wands (for elemental evil he farmings). Not sure if the exact date of the realms in game but it also might be after the spellplague was over.
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    dionchi said:

Has anyone even seen a Mage with a staff or a wand? Just about every mage that I've ever seen portrayed or read about at least had access to a staff (or stave) or a wand and from what I read, "off hand" implements are supposed to be disallowed.

But back to staves and wands, often staves have something attached to the end to store or augment their power, wands however are basically just relatively sticks. Orbs being artifacts retained their magical properties after the fall - but no wands or staves (which themselves could be artifacts) survived the Spellplague? To be that's pushing the boundaries of incredulity just a tiny bit.

Neverwinter we get "orbs", only orbs and not a great variety of orbs at that, with most being little more than copies of previous of types of orbs.

How about at least giving Neverwinter mages the choice of being able to place their orb on the end of a artifact staff for a +1 (with no refinement option) to all the orb's basic characteristics?

That would be novel.

with the new crafting, find it hard to believe that some crazy or drunken mage wouldn't create duct tape ( basilisk glue on a strip of basilisk leather ) and tape a teeny tiny orb to the end of a stick just to annoy future archeologists when they find a new generation stave stuck in some rock.

Ok so its not a traditional stave, it floats around the mage, but imagine the office party wow factor

akemnos said:

As for this game other than the Linkletter quest and the Chasm zone it sort of shies away from the spell plague and never really follows the rules of it in later modules where you do see things like wands (for elemental evil he farmings). Not sure if the exact date of the realms in game but it also might be after the spellplague was over.

Valindra attacked in 1462 DR in the middle of the Shadovar-Thay war. In the wiki page for New Neverwinter it says that the war started in 1451 DR and 11 years later Valindra attacked and Barrabus the Gray led the Shadovar against her marking the first conflict between the two in 11 years. The conflict ended in 1487. It led into the beginning of Tyranny of Dragons which began in 1489.
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    hmm that is interesting. Its been a long time since a ran a character through the storyline and paid enough attention to it but i thought the story seemed to hint that the spellplague was done and the people in the Chasm were just the remnants and it looks like the plague ended in 1480DR,

then we have the new things like well of dragons so i guess there is no concise timeline in game.
    The plague ended, but there were still pockets active. Like the Chasm.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Meanwhile Saj Amog, Kallos Tam, and numerous Deathlock Wights wield a staff and summons undead to fight you. So I am thinking the wands, staffs, and rods do work. We just need new batteries in ours. I wonder if there is an magic orb salesman in Neverwinter, just using this as an excuse to sell more orbs? :grin:
    wb-cenders.gif
    Whose to say those staffs are nothing more than walking sticks? You know how broken down the undead get.
  • originalsin#4257 originalsin Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Not sure how this is relavent, both orb and staff count as arcane focuses and are substitutes for a component pouch (which contains actual materials like fleece). Either the spellplague somehow destroyed all arcane focuses and both of them are unusable, or they both exist.
    "Most". Not all. Wand, staff, and rod all fall under the "charged" category, and thus " were either destroyed, warped, or simply ceased to function."
    edited September 2019
    Different types of wands and staves. The 4th edition implements were not charged magic items. Our orbs don't have any inherent powers except for weapon damage, and since mod 4 artifact modifications. The wands the quote refers to are things like Wand of Fireballs, not the focus items that acted as a replacement to material components.

Two out of three implement options were dismissed by the original designers. Sadly they were the iconic two, leaving us with the one most players are unsatisfied with, assuming they have an opinion.
  • texerrettexerret Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!
    i would kill for wizard to have a staff transmute.
    Please GIBE
  • originalsin#4257 originalsin Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    greywynd said:

"Most". Not all. Wand, staff, and rod all fall under the "charged" category, and thus " were either destroyed, warped, or simply ceased to function."

I think you’re mistaken, the wands we are talking about do not fall under the charged category. We are talking about arcane focuses, not magical items. Some wands and staves are special, like a wand of magic missiles, they are magical items. They have a limited number of uses (charges) and most recharge every dawn or whatever.

Arcane focus wands, orbs and staves do not have innate magic, they can not cast spells, but they serve as a focus for magic, in the same way fleece serves as a focus for some illusion magic. These are the arcane equivalent of a cleric’s holy symbol and there is no functional difference between a wand, staff or orb anymore than there is a difference between Torm’s gauntlet, Tyr’s scales and Ilmater’s red string bound hands.

@lame22334 While they were all discussing the weapon in the picture, I am looking at the shirt and pants. In fashions the only 2 items that shows that much male chest is the Sunite Garb and the Body Paint (tattoos) from the summer festival. The baggy pants could be found in chultan fashions, but I am still digging. I will keep you posted... Have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif

I think you’re mistaken, the wands we are talking about do not fall under the charged category. We are talking about arcane focuses, not magical items. Some wands and staves are special, like a wand of magic missiles, they are magical items. They have a limited number of uses (charges) and most recharge every dawn or whatever.

Arcane focus wands, orbs and staves do not have innate magic, they can not cast spells, but they serve as a focus for magic, in the same way fleece serves as a focus for some illusion magic. These are the arcane equivalent of a cleric’s holy symbol and there is no functional difference between a wand, staff or orb anymore than there is a difference between Torm’s gauntlet, Tyr’s scales and Ilmater’s red string bound hands.

In the general rules or in the Realms? That makes a difference.
    Here is Nicholas wearing the "Body Paint" on his head slot in Fashion.

With baggy Nyanzaru pants of the noble.

These Leather Half Boots are found in armor and close to what is in the picture you showed us.

Unfortunately it is impossible (at this time) to mix fashions with armors.

I could not find an open vest as you have on yours.
    wb-cenders.gif
    What about the female version of the Robes of Asmodeus?
    Dark Blight armor from old Pirate King. There were versions for both rogue and wizard. Availability and price are likely to be an issue. I haven't see it modeled on a male, however.
    @greywynd Could not find the Robes of Asmodeus to preveiw.
    @pitshade Yes, there is only 1 in the AH priced very high.

Old items that drop from older campaigns will be difficult to obtain.
    wb-cenders.gif
    If you're in game one of my characters has it. I could link it for you. Don't recall if it is bound or not.