What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Private Wilfred

2»

Comments

• Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    It has been my opinion, Wizards of the Coast has done some of the damage to RP with attempts to dumb down the whole game system. Before my medical issues prevented me from extended travel, my husband and I attended many conventions. I watched a MtG tournament at some of these conventions. There is no banter between players, most onlookers seem to need some idea of the card contents, and the game is done and over without much dazzle. In short, I found it about as appealing as watching people play Texas Hold'em, maybe less attractive. After viewing it, I took some time to research the rules, and found everything one needs to know is printed on the card you play. No RP required, no thought, nor creative imagination. If anyone "enjoys" MtG (playing it or watching it) keep in mind, I am expressing an opinion. It might require some strategy and a lot of luck. If you can show me a video of people RPing MtG the card game, I would love to see it. <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Nope, on account I don't see it either. I can see them using one of the myriad world settings and doing another Neverwinter with it. Or being a planeswalker, any of the world settings.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I can only conclude that there is *no one* left at Cryptic with any appreciation for storytelling. They have dial-twisters and artists in spades, but a compelling storyline is utterly lost on them.
    To be honest, the writing at Cryptic has always been abysmal. STO's storylines are complete garbage; you're better off never reading mission text or dialog and just dealing with the tactical problems. CO hasn't had any real new storylines added in ages.

That said, the tutorial wasn't broken and didn't need to be changed. At all.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    If they wanted to shorten the tutorial they could have just shortened the tutorial. If they really wanted to change things they certainly didn't need to insert Makos.

He's supposed to be a big deal, isn't he? So what can I offer to him as a starting hero other than serve as cheap workshop labor or a sacrifice to some eldritch horror?
    They could have kept Wilfrid. After getting a couple of levels under our belt, we could have been given a couple of men heading to the bridge. Wilfrid would be one, the other I'll call Boris.

First? You know that "watch out for the red circles thing" when we enter the bridge area?
    Okay, so we enter the bridge, Boris moves a little ahead, and we get to see them splattered by a crashing fireball or catapult rock or whatever those things are. He just got caught by surprise, but now we know, right?

Now it's just our character and Wilfrid. Wilfrid can act less impulsive and stupid and still be taken out, right?
    Say we get a cutscene of our characters approaching Valindra and then the giant undead thing rises from behind us. Maybe we fight a lot of skeletons right before, and they form into a bone golem instead of the giant wight or whatever that thing is.

Anyway, the monster rises up and does his best impression of Babe Ruth with Wilfrid playing the part of the baseball.

Valindra disappears and we have to fight the monster. We beat him then we get to go check on poor Wilfrid to wrap things up.

The next part they can just add a "one week later" thing to allow for some clean-up of the city and Knox can ask us if we'd be interested in doing him a little favor.

That's it. Now we are headed towards the castle and things move along from there.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I'm not into the lore of the game at all but I do appreciate good storytelling. This game has never had good storytelling. I stopped watching cutscenes many, many mods ago. I rarely read the in game dialog. It's not worth my time.

Anyone who thinks that the storytelling has gone downhill is fooling themselves. It's always been bad and will remain so since there doesn't appear to be an inkling of desire to change on the company's part. I'm sure they believe it's good storytelling.