test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pitiful state of the Warlock

I've been a Warlock since I first started playing approx 4 years ago. But this mod has seen a sharp decline in the Warlock's abilities as a DPS class and it's not much better as a Healer either.

Let's take a look at the three largest magnitudes from each of the "Main" dps classes that you can see running around ...
Barbarian Cleric Ranger Rogue Warlock Wizard
Frenzy - 1100 Forgemaster's Flame - 600 Marauder's Rush - 600 Assassinate - 650 Killing Flames - 600 (Max value) Repel - 475 (Max Value)
IBS - 700 Daunting Light - 500 Boar Rush - 450 Wicked Reminder - 600 Dreadtheft - 275 Chill Strike - 400
Punishing Charge - 700 Geas - 500 Hindering Strike - 400 Lashing Blade - 550 Vampiric Embrace - 200 Icy - 400
Total : 2500 Total : 1650 Total : 1300 Total : 1800 Total : 1075 Total : 1275
Avg : 833.3 Avg : 550 Avg : 433.3 Avg : 600 Avg : 358.3 Avg : 425
As can be seen from the above table the Warlock is already substantially lower than other classes along with the Wizard and the Ranger.

If we factor in the ability to apply buffs/debuffs from Feats/Encounters and Skills things take a bit of a downward turn for the Warlock.
Here's how many buff/debuff options are available per class:
8 6 15 10 6 13
So we can see that the Warlock has the joint lowest options available to it for increasing its DPS abilities.

Buff/Debuff %age with first 5 seconds of combat.
25% 50% 35% Melee,
85% Ranged
40% 17.7% 35%
Well, things aren't looking too good for the Warlock here, they have the lowest magnitudes, the least amount of buff/debuff options and cannot get those buffs/debuff into play early enough in combat; in fact for the Warlock to reach full buffs (45.5%) it takes them approx 90 seconds and they need to hope that the Soul Puppet (which they cannot control) actually survives long enough too.

Clearly things need to improve for the Warlock.

Killing Flames has an approx cast rate of 82% of between 400 to 460 and in only 2% of the cases was the hit above 550 (551 and 574).
Dreadtheft is uninterruptible but doesn't have a scaled cooldown based upon how long the cast was active so the player suffers from a long cooldown even if they've been interrupted at the beginning of the attack.

When we look at the healing side for the Warlock, things are mostly alright except for the spark generation, the Warlock does not have the ability to generate sparks if there are no enemies present ( a bit of a problem right after the boulders are dropping on the first phase of the Bore Worm). The Warlock is not an effective healer if there are no enemies to fight but are still locked in combat-stance.
  • Make Killing Flames magnitude a flat 600, not a range.
  • Increase the magnitude of all other encounters by 50% (They'll still be much lower than the other classes)
  • Apply Soul Investiture to the Warlock and not the Soul Puppet to ensure the 25% buff is not lost when something the player cannot control gets killed.
  • The Warlock needs more ways to gain Soul Investiture other than Hadar's Grasp (19 sec cooldown) or Killing Flames (hoping the Warlock gets the Kill-Shot)
  • Soul Investiture needs to stack faster to not disadvantage the Warlock, currently the Warlock takes 90 seconds to reach full buffs, nearly 3000% slower than the fastest to gain the same amount of self buffs.
  • Powers that apply Creeping Death should not cancel a previously running Creeping Death, they should have their own Creeping Death tick which should run in parallel to other ticks of Creeping Death
    -OR-
    Creeping Death should tick once per initial hit for 60% of the damage dealt by that hit.
  • Warlock's Bargain should not cost Soul Sparks
  • Warlock's Bargain should not heal the Warlock
  • Warlock's Bargain should not heal Allies
  • Warlock's Bargain should grant the Warlock two Soul Sparks
  • Warlock's Bargain should remove one negative effect from allies within a radius of 30' (not requiring line of sight like it does at the moment)

Comments

• Options
    frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User

There is a lot of potential in Warlocks when you delve down into their bag of tricks.

I'm curious about this bag of tricks you mention because no matter what I try, I always wind up back at curse bite.
    Which I hate.

And I mean

- hate -

I hated it before mod16, and now that it's been shoved in my face, I hate it even more.
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited July 2019

There is a lot of potential in Warlocks when you delve down into their bag of tricks.

I'm curious about this bag of tricks you mention because no matter what I try, I always wind up back at curse bite.
    Which I hate.

And I mean

- hate -

I hated it before mod16, and now that it's been shoved in my face, I hate it even more.
    Why do you hate it?
    I didn't really use it before M16, but now I use it all the time.
    What is it you hate?
    The damage? The fact that it does sympathetic rather than direct damage? Too useful?

Interestingly, it doesn't look like the OP is using it, given the powers they listed.

Most classes now have one or two Encounter powers that are fundamental to a good build.
    I'm not debating whether that's right or wrong, it just is.

Want to play a wizard that throws Fireballs about, but for whatever reason hate Chill and Freeze effects and powers? Wizard's probably not the class for you, cos that Freezy stuff will be pretty important IF you want to do damage along with putting on a fireworks display.

You don't need CB to perform as a Warlock, roll with any damage dealing Encounters you want, but it gives some of the best damage output, and when used with Parting Blasphemy even more so.
    TBH in solo play I barely remember to use it except in Runed MEs where mobs take a lot longer.
    But I don't play to be BiS or top of the boards or feel the need to be better or even as good as other classes. As long as I'm having fun and it's working OK. I like blowing stuff up with Fiery Bolts and killing stuff close up with Hellfire Ring.
    Someone will probably tell me that's wrong as well, but I couldn't care less.
    But, if you DO want to be top banana, then you have to go with the best combinations. And for Warlock that generally includes Curse Bites.

And "Warlocks are Pitiful"
    "Hold on, what about THIS?"
    "No, you hold, what if I don't want to use that..."
    Doesn't support the contention that Warlocks are in a pitiful state.
    It supports the notion that any class you choose to play while not using its most effective powers will not be as good as if you DID...
  • Options
    silverwolf#7884 silverwolf Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Yeah, looking at the powers only you'd think that the Cleric and Ranger are not that good, but they do get a lot of their buffs very quickly, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the Warlock, the inability to get their self-buffs quick enough is a huge issue for their DPS.
  • Options
    nabu#4746 nabu Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Warlock really is in a pitiful state, even the best ones do about half(maybe 75% if the run is generous) the damage of an equally skilled Rogue, Ranger, or Wizard. I’ve abandoned mine and moved to CW as it just performs more efficiently overall. I have played my warlock in this mod, while it is viable it is definitely not sought after for any role it’s supposed to fulfill.
  • Options
    Frankly, all of the classes are lacking when you consider more than half of their at-wills and encounters rarely ever get used. When you've got a couple million people playing the same character and the majority of them all use the same set of at-wills and encounters, and never ever use certain others - something's not right.

BIS when it comes to equipment I get. I don't like it, but I get it. But BIS when it comes to at-wills and encounters - just makes all the other ones seem like a waste of development time.
  • Options
    tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User

tom#6998 said:

that mangitude chart is interesting, looking at it at face value I would assume ranger, warlock and wizard were the lowest dps, while barbarian was far ahead of everyone and cleric was shortly behind them as #2, but this certainly is not the case.
    Warlock is not the top dps class, it never was, and its not going to be. same for cleric. if you don't like the class then by all means keep complaining though, i know I do daily about my cleric.

thats simply not true, the warlock was always ment to be dps, and it was once the best DPS class in the game.

What is a fact is that, when the classes were reworked for M10, the guy that was responsible for the Warlock rework, left cryptic halfway trough, and the missing polishing on the rework was basicly what lead to the warlock underperforming from mod 10.5-15 (Mod10 there were was still a bug around that gave us crazy dmg)
    And the M16 rework sadly didnt deliver what most Warlocks (the few that still play) hoped for.
    from what i have heard the warlock was only ever top dps for awhile because of a bug with the soul puppet for damnation, which was like in maybe mod 6, and didnt last long. am I wrong?
    yes u are, cant comment about mod 6, since i startet playing in mod 8, but there were some other interactions that were incredibly strong on the Warlock that made him basicly the best dps class till the rework at the start of mod 10 happened.
    U can consider those (Like the old TT, or Murderous Flames etc) as WaI or not, but SW was at the top at those times.
    Well its not like that really mattered since back then buffs were so crazy that anything was OP as HAMSTER, anyone remembers DC Powerlooping into infinity?

Well maybe u can elaborate why u think that the warlock does not deserve to be competetive with the likes of CW or TR in terms of dmg?
    And if its, "because he has a healing path too" (which i hope its not) then let me remind u that asterdahl stated that they intend for all DPS paths to be on equal footing in terms of their dps.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    deleted
    Post edited by frogwalloper#6494 on
  • Options

Why do you hate it? I didn't really use it before M16, but now I use it all the time. What is it you hate?

I use it all the time too - grudgingly, because that's what the warlock is now, and curse bite is the most effective option I've got - by a wide margin. Doesn't make it fun, though.

The warlock used to have a mixed bag that I could play around with and still be effective. There were times I paired up Blades and Spheres, but that combo doesn't seem to work anymore. Used to use vampiric embrace. That's broken too. Wraith's Shadow which used to be a thing is now a mere shadow of its former self. Arms of Hadar are broken. Fiery Bolt is rubbish. Those two and PoP were my stand by. It was Whoosh! Thwump! Ba-Boom! as I zipped all over the place.

Now it's pfffff.... pfffftt...pffff..., while I mash away at shadow slip because for some reason my warlock's feet keep getting glued to the floor.

I used to love the warlock. It was all flame and explosive fury, now it's like ripping paper.

I guess the main reason I've always disliked cb is I think it lacks oomph. I also find it rather silly to curse, uncurse, curse, uncurse, curse and wait, wait, wait - uncurse! - curse, wait, wait, wait, - uncurse!- etc, etc, ad nauseum. That's just how I feel about it. It's fine if you like it. But I can't help raising an eyebrow when someone says the warlock's got a bag of tricks when from my point of view it's a one-trick pony with three broken legs.

And perhaps that's the reason why everyone's using curse bite now - not because it's so wonderful, but because it's the only leg left to stand on.
    I still don't get the problem.
    Is it too powerful? What?
    Too useful?
    Most classes now have a couple or even one Power they rely on to compete in the charts. Why would Warlock be any different?

But I'm not sure how many classes have a power that allows them to target an uncapped number of enemies, across an AoE that includes pretty much everywhere you can see, and cause three figure magnitude damage and has two charges?

Your ad nauseam example is pretty much the way most classes operate. Use at wills till a power is ready, use it, follow a cycle, repeat... (include ad nauseam, if it really does make you sick...)

If the problem is that warlock doesn't do as much damage and kill everything as quickly as before, then that's not a Warlock issue, that's the way HAMSTER works now for everyone.

Out of all 8 of my characters the only one that is close to being better than it was in Mod 15, is my Rogue. But that's only because it was so badly beaten by the pointless class tweaking in M15 and everything else has been reduced far more in comparison by the M16 changes.

But, you're the expert... so I guess it must be me not understanding that I'm not actually having fun, and really just participating in a charade of repetitive behaviour. Unlike all the other character classes where no one ever follows set "Rotations" or patterns of power use. Cos that would be just ad nauseam pffft pffft pffft ing wouldn't it...

(As a test I ran without CB and used FB, HR and Arms of Hadar. Swapping Warlocks Curse in for Parting Blasphemy, I have no clue whether it was several percentage points better or worse, but it took around the same time to kill the same stuff... it was messy and loud. Perhaps with your background in class development you could try and expand on something like that? The problem is I was still having to curse, curse, curse to get the 10% damage bonus from WC... and I'm not sure that's fixable on Warlock. Cursing is probably here to stay.)
  • Options

i don't think there is a problem with the class really as far as dps.....I have been top dps on my 25k+ cleric a few times in lomm with warlocks who are about the same IL, but also the other day a 22k warlock did about 10 mil more dmg then me, same for barbarians i have had a few at 22k do quite a bit more dps then I do, IL doesn't mean much, it never did, but skill does.

well maybe your dc is bad?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

...But, you're the expert... so I guess it must be me not understanding that I'm not actually having fun...Perhaps with your background in class development...

What's with the sarcastic jabs?

So I don't like curse bite. That's not a personal attack against you. I'm astounded you think the warlock's A-O-K, but you don't see me slinging snide comments at you.

That aside:

(As a test I ran without CB and used FB, HR and Arms of Hadar. Swapping Warlocks Curse in for Parting Blasphemy, I have no clue whether it was several percentage points better or worse, but it took around the same time to kill the same stuff... it was messy and loud...The problem is I was still having to curse, curse, curse to get the 10% damage bonus from WC... and I'm not sure that's fixable on Warlock. Cursing is probably here to stay.)

Messy and Loud is what I want.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a lot of trouble with Arms of Hadar simply not working - similar to some issues with a few of the wizard's encounters. Where I initiate it. It goes into cool down. But nothing happens. The enemies are unaffected in any way.
    That's my problem with FB, HR, and Arms. If arms worked properly for me, I'd be happy to base my warlock around that rotation. But I stopped using it cause it wasn't working.

I'd like to see either a little more damage from Fiery Bolt, or a shorter cooldown, or some kind of curse synergy. I just think it's lacking. That's not my "expert" opinion. It's my personal opinion. I'd like to play around with Vampiric Embrace too, and Dreadtheft, but Vampiric Embrace isn't very good any more, and Dreadtheft is so wonky for me. I get some use out of Blades in solo stuff, but I could wish it did a little more damage.

Which leads me right back to Curse Bite. They did a great job with Curse Bite. I wish it came with three charges, but it works pretty well. I admit it.

lol - I just don't like it. I never have, and now the Hellbringer essentially revolves around it since so many other encounters are either working poorly or are simply subpar.

I really don't understand why anyone would be upset if damage magnitudes were increased and improperly working encounters were fixed.
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    Cw repel is no longer 475 its 375 do eat that lol
  • Options
    giz#2086 giz Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    They hate the class so don't worry about it. They haven't any clue about what to do with the class, so people that only likes to play warlock can jump to other class or quit the game. (yes, i've tried any other DPS class and i only like Warlock).
  • Options

tom#6998 said:

i don't think there is a problem with the class really as far as dps.....I have been top dps on my 25k+ cleric a few times in lomm with warlocks who are about the same IL, but also the other day a 22k warlock did about 10 mil more dmg then me, same for barbarians i have had a few at 22k do quite a bit more dps then I do, IL doesn't mean much, it never did, but skill does.

well maybe your dc is bad?
    maybe shes good and I am just a bad player?
    maybe^^
  • Options

...But, you're the expert... so I guess it must be me not understanding that I'm not actually having fun...Perhaps with your background in class development...

What's with the sarcastic jabs?

So I don't like curse bite. That's not a personal attack against you. I'm astounded you think the warlock's A-O-K, but you don't see me slinging snide comments at you.

That aside:

(As a test I ran without CB and used FB, HR and Arms of Hadar. Swapping Warlocks Curse in for Parting Blasphemy, I have no clue whether it was several percentage points better or worse, but it took around the same time to kill the same stuff... it was messy and loud...The problem is I was still having to curse, curse, curse to get the 10% damage bonus from WC... and I'm not sure that's fixable on Warlock. Cursing is probably here to stay.)

Messy and Loud is what I want.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a lot of trouble with Arms of Hadar simply not working - similar to some issues with a few of the wizard's encounters. Where I initiate it. It goes into cool down. But nothing happens. The enemies are unaffected in any way.
    That's my problem with FB, HR, and Arms. If arms worked properly for me, I'd be happy to base my warlock around that rotation. But I stopped using it cause it wasn't working.

I'd like to see either a little more damage from Fiery Bolt, or a shorter cooldown, or some kind of curse synergy. I just think it's lacking. That's not my "expert" opinion. It's my personal opinion. I'd like to play around with Vampiric Embrace too, and Dreadtheft, but Vampiric Embrace isn't very good any more, and Dreadtheft is so wonky for me. I get some use out of Blades in solo stuff, but I could wish it did a little more damage.

Which leads me right back to Curse Bite. They did a great job with Curse Bite. I wish it came with three charges, but it works pretty well. I admit it.

lol - I just don't like it. I never have, and now the Hellbringer essentially revolves around it since so many other encounters are either working poorly or are simply subpar.

I really don't understand why anyone would be upset if damage magnitudes were increased and improperly working encounters were fixed.
    For the past few days, just to see, I've run with that same set up. No curse bites, using Perma puppet for extra CA damage, FB, AoH, and HR. I'm using the at-will that doubles as a melee power (not near the game at the moment, and can't remember what it's called but it does allow you to fill stacks up quickly if you get mobbed.)

I'm not running LoMM to compete with end game table toppers, and mainly doing PUG queues and 1 rune MEs and I'm having little to no issue. The only problem I had was when I forgot to switch insignia on my Basilisk and was farming rAD instead of getting Heals for Crits... Oh, and the time I forgot I wasn't on my Rogue and dropped 3 Runes on an ME... That took a LONG time... (really really really long time...) but still managed it.
    There may be some technical, nerdgasm stat-based reason why what I did was "wrong" but it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys and made lots of noise and mess.

My Warlock is like my third or fourth tier character, I'm running at 20.6k (IL) with most stats above 60K, Power at just under 100K and R12 Bondings on an Epic Iouon Stone of Might, (R9/10 Empowereds) so nowhere near "End Game BiS" but not exactly a complete moose either.

If I was really into the stats sheets and pie charts and graphs side of the game, (and transferred the good stuff off my Rogue) I could probably fine tune the build I'm using into something "Good", but certainly playing solo I don't feel any great need for Curse Bites, and while it certainly helps in group play up to FBI/MSP (which is about as far as I've got with random queues) it's not as important as getting the timing right on Scorch for maximising output in prolonged fights..
    (And Scorch STILL looks and feels HAMSTER-poor in a fight and the speed at which it drains after a fight. It's a crappy little green laser pointer... it should be more impressive.)

As far as using CB in group play, I probably will revert to it, and yeah it is probably the most useful power there is, and that does make it a priority choice. But I have to do that with most of my characters. My alt pally can't pull aggro like a main that someone has built properly so I know I'm going to need Vow of Enmity if I land in a PUG with DPS Barbarians. (Whose response to getting a full red aggro bar seems to be to hit everything as hard as possible to make it go away.)

I agree that what you said before about Shadow Slip is a pain in the HAMSTER, but its one of those "Do you want to self interrupt, or do you want powers to fire regardless" dilemmas that I remember the Paladin always having issues with till they fixed the hierachy of powers in the last mod.
    Maybe an "Interrupt" toggle for class move manoeuvres?

TBH I've not had any issues with Arms not firing properly, certainly nowhere near the amount of times I've cast Fireball as my Wizard and not known if anything actually happened. "It's gone to cooldown, and I think that monster has fewer HP than it did 3 seconds ago, but... I wanted a BOOM!" That happens a LOT.