test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Improving Dungeons for New Players

ddbb11ddbb11 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
Currently there is a bit of an issue where, as a new player venturing in to the dungeons for the first time is not as fun as being there on release day and getting to see it in all its glory.

when I enter a new dungeon I see it as a new venture something I want to explore, I want to go find that hidden che..mimic, I want to 100% clear it, but many people want to just get through it for their daily AD bonus and get out ASAP, in early levels when I had no boons or decent equipment it wasn't unheard of to see me get less than 10 kills, I think one time I actually dealt 0 damage.

We are all aware of this as an issue, but how do we fix it ?
I would like to suggest a few ideas, which could work on their own or in combination.

1) add a new queue type, "explorer dungeons", which have different requirements to get in than other queues, such as:
  • Max level 70
  • Max item level
  • Hard cap everyone to a standard for their class
  • create a new currency, or campaign which limits access to "explorer dungeons" so you have 5 entries for each dungeon in the explorer queue and that's it.
2) create a new queue type for "speed runs", this would allow the people who just want to get in and out ASAP to vacate the standard queue, it could turn in to an interesting "game mode" where rewards are based on speed of completion and completing a quest (to stop abuse) such as slay at least 50% of critters, matching fast people with fast people. (may have to introduce movement speed buffs for slower classes, or give everyone a set move speed)

3) grade dungeons easy, medium, hard, with lower rewards for the easy medium, which would essentially do the same as above but keep the current dungeon as is, also allowing for people to enter at different stages of character progression.

4) allow matchmaking to consider more elements, such as campaign completion or how many times you have completed the dungeon before.

one last "out there" idea, allow users to queue as guides so they can be matched with lower level people and be heavily scaled, and their job is to support progress, chat through mechanics or help if the team has trouble, but these people would be given a reward, based on the being the lowest in the leader boards at the end (except most healing).

there are some issues with this, such as I didn't actually start legacy campaigns until I hit 70/80, by which point these new dungeons I wanted to explore were easy and I found myself holding back in encounters so people had something to do, I'd thrown in an at-will or two then tank without damaging the enemies. because i was far more powerful than the fellow runners. Also the player base size may mean longer queue times, and nobody wants that.

What else would people suggest, would these ideas work ? is there a simpler way to segregate the explorers from the speed runners ?

Comments

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Private queue.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    greywynd said:

Private queue.

I am going off my experience when I started, so as a new player, Not only did I not have many contacts in the game, and with the chat channels full of Jargon I did not understand such as "LFG CR 15k+ " I felt alienated and did not want to put myself in the position of utter noob, so I couldn't get a private queue together.

I personally didn't play with anyone apart from about 10 RLQs until I joined a guild at lvl 70, and many of those are lvl80+ now, and finding a guild that's a whole ball game in itself, who do you contact? how do you get in?, google, find out of date info everywhere, its a mess and very convoluted, getting a private group together is not new player friendly.

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    I didn't say get a group together. If you want to explore the dungeon queue privately and run it solo.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll pass on this thread to the rest of the team!
  • Options
    greywynd said:

I didn't say get a group together. If you want to explore the dungeon queue privately and run it solo.

Hey, didn't see this, I see what you mean. yes it is viable with some characters, but with the dungeons being designed more towards team play with higher level enemies, it starts making it difficult, Imagine trying to solo CR. there's loads of nice design in there.

@nitocris83, Thanks :)