test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Increase death penalty please [FEEDBACK]

dolreydolrey Member Posts: 741 Arc User
edited June 2019 in Player Feedback (PC)
Hello :)

After previous big patch a lot of technical issues were fixed. Overall now game by itself is very good and we appreciate this. But there still is one thing in players behavior which make dungeons much less interesting. Most part of players is used to think that they are like Rambo should rush forward ahead of their teammates to have as much damage indicator in menu as possible. Needless to say that a lot of players prefer to play content if not as role player but at least not rush like mad thru all dungeons. These speed runners just don't listen players who want to enjoy content. So then developers should make some actions to protect players who want to play normally and enjoy dungeons and stories (because by itself dungeons and stories are very good if not taking into account behaviour of speed runners).

And here are some ideas how to stop this:

1) Delete menu where we can see damage dealt or healing or damage taket etc. It is supposed to give more info to us to improve gameplay. But in practice players use it only to compare "whos sword is bigger" you know. So, no cherry on the cake no reason to rush forward.

2) Greatly increase price of 80 lvl medical kits (to about 6-8k astral diamonds) and delete immune to injuries from vip. Instead for vip add some free bound to character medical kits in daily rewards (about 2-4 per day). After this every Rambo will have to think twice before rushing forward because death penalty will be much higher.

So, these two relatively easy changes can improve behavior of some players and add some risk to epic dungeons finally preventing speed runners. Dungeons and content by itself are very good after latest fixes. @nitocris83 could you please send this feedback to developers team to they make the final touch in fixing PvE.

Thank you.

Ps: if somebody still would like to complete dungeons as fast as possible they still will be able to do so with their friends. How to say it well.. Just culture of dungeon playing will be much better what will improve user's perception of the game.

____
We have game without death penalty. At all..
Isn't it strange for you?

Even when little child play with his cubics he can lose because he have to make a picture of the cubes or insert them into the hole of the desired shape. Neverwinter now is even easier than this because in NWO you can't lose even when your character die. I am not want to watch all the cutscenes or sit in dungeons for hours. I just want to play something more smarter and harder than at least child's cubics.

What about "1000 times". Do you know how many chess games had played grandmaster? And he don't want to speed run it. He don't want to listen how cool good strong the best he is from npcs. He don't want to get best skins or stats for his figures. He play chess because he have to think about every his step. Just because it is interesting.

Neverwinter has very high potential. Personally I want Neverwinter to become something like this. Good game with smart combat.
Post edited by dolrey on

Comments

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Hard to say, I am thinking maybe @dolrey is trolling? I don't do dungeons often, but what "level" of dungeons? Why would you title this "Increase Death Penalty Please" and not even talk about the death penalty all that much to begin with? I foresee this thread heading for the Lower Depths very quick once a moderator has read it. This is either, not well thought out or you are trolling? You do know they use to make us wait 3 minutes and not just 30 seconds per injury correct? Also Injury Kits cost us 70 silver or 0.7 gold, the only ones sold for AD are in the Auction sold by players.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited June 2019

1.) no. most of us actually use it to gauge progression. a better developed character does more damage, can take more damage, can do more healing, etc. enough with the crappy " i don't understand how people use it so i'll assume the worst and ask the devs to delete stuff from the game for no good reason " nonsense.

Those chart cant really reflect your true progression and has a tendency to be inaccurate because.

1) Individual skill. Skill are something subjective and is difficult to project into ones progression as different individual has different level of skill and they don't always tend to be in tip top condition.

2) Luck. Although its influence is not big but it does have some effect on the number in the chart. For example FBI druffi's red arrow keeps popping on your head or some random stun keep stunning u.

3) Bad behaviour from other player. Except if u are doing premade and your teammates are not a complete HAMSTER, you will find things like not raising u when your on the ground or some CW repel your mob away from your IBS or daunting light etc.

4) Final blow. Even the mob has 1hp left, your 300k final blow are still gonna add in the chart.

In my opinion, these chart are misleading and encourage bad behaviour. If u want to gauge your true progression, ACT might be more suitable, well except your are platform user, then the chart are your only way.

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    The end chart is HAMSTER. In order to use to gauge progression the other 4 slots on the team have to be static and do the exact same job in the exact same way every time.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    kangkeok said:

4) Final blow. Even the mob has 1hp left, your 300k final blow are still gonna add in the chart.

actually the chart only shows how much HP u are substracting from the Enemy, so no there is no "Final Blow" showing in the chart, idk why that mithy is still around.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Well, this reads like "The game is in a bad place... how can we make it worse?!"

And your intro @dolrey really made me laugh,
    https://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/1249301/quartermasters-enchant-not-upgrading-loot-table-quality
    considering that the latest patches broke QM and probably other enchantments, you should really read through
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/categories/bug-reports-pc
    before you come up with suggestions like these.

Not to mention that companions are still one burning hot fudged up mess since they released Undermountain, and we haven't heard anything official beside the usual "we're looking into it." line.

And unless there's another huge patch with bug fixes ready to go with the release of Undermountain on consoles, the console forums will be on fire next week...

Besides, looking at the last patch, it allready feels like they're working on the next module and we might only get small patches with minor fixes until that one gets released.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    tom#6998 said:

kangkeok said:

actually the chart only shows how much HP u are substracting from the Enemy, so no there is no "Final Blow" showing in the chart, idk why that mithy is still around.
    I might be misinformed. Thanks for correcting.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Instead of calling devs to make changes because you dont like how people plays, and suggesting other players to play in private queue with friends to not disturb you, why not you take your Friends to private queue and stay un a dungeon for hours?

I can understand your frustration but
    when you did the same dungeon 1000 times, watching all the cutscenes, exploring all corners, there is nothing wrong un do It fast. It can be fun also to improve yourself.

If you dont like It, form your patient group and go private. Keep in pace the other players
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor

points in order :

1.) developing your individual skill *is* part of character progression. as you get more skilled, you perform your role better, and the charts are part of how people track that. it's also helpful for seeing who's doing their role well and who isn't when it comes to seeing you want to add people for purposes of creating parties for private queues and so on.

2.) yes, luck is a factor, but that doesn't negate the usefulness of the charts. generally if you have a bad run, you can tell where, and seeing the effect of that on the charts compared to a previous or subsequent decent run, lets you develop a better understanding of what's to be avoided at all costs and what's an annoying but acceptable penalty for doing things like res'ing people at awkward times, and so on.

3.) sure, you can't control other players. some people are really reluctant or slow to res others. some don't understand other classes and use inappropriate powers at inappropriate times and slow things down for people. that doesn't make the charts worthless, because oddly enough, if people are looking at charts to figure out if their changes have been an improvement, or roughly how much of an improvement over their previous average range for a given chart on a given piece of content, if some eejit messes up a run by refusing to res people or using inappropriate knockbacks all the time... they're probably gonna discard that run from consideration and go run content again so they can get a useful run to use as a comparison.

4.) what tom said. you see the full dmg potential of the final hit *onscreen*, but it doesn't add to the total, only the hp subtracted from the enemy does.

as for ACT... you may not realise, but not everyone wants to have to bother using third party stuff. most people prefer having a handy option in game that they can just hit a button and look at, to give them at least a rough idea if their changes were or weren't an improvement.

gauging progression for most people doesn't mean " exactly what %age more effective am i, what are the hard numbers, is this piece 0.0002% more effective than another " and so on, it just means " am i doing a bit better on the chart relative to what was my normal performance range before i made the change ". i mean, sure, some people care about exact figures when it comes to progression, but most are happy with " it seems a bit more effective ". you don't need exact party compliation replication, with everyone acting like robots and doing the exact same stuff at the exact same time, on every run, to get a rough sense of whether or not you're improving your char and how you play it by using the charts, and that's all most players are looking for.

Its something delusional. It doesn't really represent what really happen. I gave up looking at it years ago. Its better to focus on teamwork to overcome the dungeon than personal vanity.
    edited June 2019
    I have no comment on whether to remove the chart or not. My personal opinion are for myself though, but I'm quite puzzle by speed runner. I mean u are strong, able to kill content solo and ahead of everybody, leaving mob lying all around behind while your party mate clean it up after u. Question. Do u feel lonely that far ahead? Do u feel like playing a single player game? I mean MMO is about playing with other player right? If its not for teamwork, why play MMO at all?

kangkeok said:

Its something delusional. It doesn't really represent what really happen. I gave up looking at it years ago. Its better to focus on teamwork to overcome the dungeon than personal vanity.

it's hardly delusional. it gives people a rough sense of how well they're doing their specific role, which is part of what's considered when gauging progression.

teamwork is another matter entirely, and important in and of itself, i certainly wouldn't disagree, but individual character development and development of teamwork are things that go hand in hand, it's not one or the other. teamwork won't compensate for a character not really being up to snuff for what's developed, unless part of the team is higher level enough to be carrying the other players, when teamwork for the rest gets reduced to 'support the carrier and cleanup after them'. in the absence of a carrier... people fail. but they rely on things like the chart to see that they're definitely making progress towards *not failing*.

Well to me its delusional. When u know something does not reflect the truth but u still believe in it.
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    dolrey said:

Instead of calling devs to make changes because you dont like how people plays, and suggesting other players to play in private queue with friends to not disturb you, why not you take your Friends to private queue and stay un a dungeon for hours?

when you did the same dungeon 1000 times, watching all the cutscenes, exploring all corners, there is nothing wrong un do It fast. It can be fun also to improve yourself.

If you dont like It, form your patient group and go private. Keep in pace the other players

Even when little child play with his cubics he can lose because he have to make a picture of the cubes or insert them into the hole of the desired shape. Neverwinter now is even easier than this because in NWO you can't lose even when your character die. I am not want to watch all the cutscenes or sit in dungeons for hours. I just want to play something more smarter and harder than at least child's cubics.

What about "1000 times". Do you know how many chess games had played grandmaster? And he don't want to speed run it. He don't want to listen how cool good strong the best he is from npcs. He don't want to get best skins or stats for his figures. He play chess because he have to think about every his step. Just because it is interesting.

Neverwinter has very high potential. Personally I want Neverwinter to become something like this. Good game with smart combat.
    Maybe you should play chess instead then?
    And hope your opponent doesn't mind that you're taking a few hours to ponder every. single. move...
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    > @dolrey said:
    > Instead of calling devs to make changes because you dont like how people plays, and suggesting other players to play in private queue with friends to not disturb you, why not you take your Friends to private queue and stay un a dungeon for hours?
    >
    >
    >
    > I can understand your frustration but
    >
    > when you did the same dungeon 1000 times, watching all the cutscenes, exploring all corners, there is nothing wrong un do It fast. It can be fun also to improve yourself.
    >
    >
    >
    > If you dont like It, form your patient group and go private. Keep in pace the other players
    >
    > We have game without death penalty. At all..
    > Isn't it strange for you?
    >
    > Even when little child play with his cubics he can lose because he have to make a picture of the cubes or insert them into the hole of the desired shape. Neverwinter now is even easier than this because in NWO you can't lose even when your character die. I am not want to watch all the cutscenes or sit in dungeons for hours. I just want to play something more smarter and harder than at least child's cubics.
    >
    > What about "1000 times". Do you know how many chess games had played grandmaster? And he don't want to speed run it. He don't want to listen how cool good strong the best he is from npcs. He don't want to get best skins or stats for his figures. He play chess because he have to think about every his step. Just because it is interesting.
    >
    > Neverwinter has very high potential. Personally I want Neverwinter to become something like this. Good game with smart combat.

The solution is to make things harder like old CN days when if dps went solo to ads died in 0.1 secs. Not what you are proposing.

The Game is easy. Yes. What you are suggesting doesnt fix anything just make things worse.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    dolrey said:

dolrey said:

Maybe you should play chess instead then?
    And hope your opponent doesn't mind that you're taking a few hours to ponder every. single. move...
    This thread is not about which game I should play. This thread is about the fact that in NWO we have no death penalty what affects game process bad.
    Yeah, I was just being a bit of a d**k...

However, I don't feel that death should have more severe penalties, but instead maybe staying alive should have more rewards?
    Maybe a bonus for no deaths, but keep it individual, as to not encourage kicking of players slightly prone to death?
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Why the heavy hand to control player behavior? This system not complicated enough or the bugs from the complexity not enough for you? Lets add more features (and the bugs that come from the features) that brings little or no value to the majority of the players.

Comparing this game to chess is not valid. In chess, you may be up against a formidable opponent and have to take time to plan your moves. This game is mostly about smashing mobs.

I don't care about people running ahead. Just they better not HAMSTER die. I won't rez them no matter how furious they ping. The walk of shame from the last campfire is enough of a death penalty for me.
  • robai#6206 robai Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    In dungeons there is no adventure part since this game has just several dungeons, which you've done hundreds of time.
    So, for your daily AD you just want to complete it as fast as you can (even if that means dying many times, who cares, fast AD is all that matters).

For comparison: DDO has hundreds of dungeons. It's fun to play new dungeons when nobody knows what to do, it feels like actual dungeons crawling. It's especially fun to play Rogue, because traps are deadly there and nobody knows possible trap locations yet. So, when exploring a new dungeon on harder difficulty you definitely want to have trapper, CC and healer in your party.

NWO is a completely different game, because there are no traps and no CC (sadly).
    NWO is more f2p friendly and because of that it has a lot more players.
    Since NWO has so many players, game designers don't really care about many things (U16 is a proof of that).

As for stopping zergers (the ones who run ahead of party) DDO has a beautiful mechanics called Dungeon Alert, red alert is the worst, because you almost can't move and mobs always crit etc. (the whole party is affected, you need to start killing mobs or wait some time in order to reduce alert lvl). Btw, in DDO you can't just respawn. Once you die, you die (there an item that lets you self-resurrect once, but it takes months to farm that item, otherwise only party members can rez you, or you have to pay DDO points for that, similar to Zen points). There are some companions (hirelings in DDO) that can rez you too, but only if he is alive and if he is not interrupted (but most likely he is dead too, especially during red alert).
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    The simple way to deal with speed runners in dungeons is not a penalty. The dungeons need to be completely unfamiliar to the player. It is running the same map with the placement of every mob in the same place that makes the dungeons "too familiar". The human brain can memorize some really stupid things. To this day, I can get lost in my own city I lived in all my life. But I know some game maps like the back of my hand. Bots can do a dungeon because they are sent from point to point on a map, they are programmed with locations.

I recommended this multiple times to the people at Cryptic and they never listen. Back when we had a Foundry (a huge library of player made dungeons) they could have shuffled them like a deck of cards. Then draw 3 off the top for the players doing RQ, they vote on which one of the three they want to do. With thousands of stories there would be little chance that any player in your PUG would know the dungeon layout. After completion, the dungeon is returned to the bottom of the deck. There were rules the Foundry had to be 15 minutes to qualify, but the ones placed into the RQ could have been hand picked by the developers to ensure no possible exploits existed.

But that idea and possibility burned down in the great Foundry fire of April 11th.

@dolrey This is why I asked you if you were trolling us;
    Now about this hypothetical "death penalty", I don't see how you can increase it for dungeons alone. With the game's limitations, this means the new players dying in PvE on any map will be suffering the same penalty. If you jump into the fray injured, after 8 injuries you can still fight but you are not fighting your best. Cryptic has never been one to issue a serious "death penalty" in any of their games. I play Champions, I lose stars. If you read the fine print about it; stars are boosts and no stars means you are at 100%. The star packs are nothing but a boost, die as much or as little as you like. Star Trek (I have not played for a long time) uses 3 injuries; minor, major, and critical. None of these do much and the critical was something like a 10% debuff I seem to recall.

In contrast to the Cryptic model, another game I play issues 15% each time I die up to 4 times stopping at 60% total penalty. This can be removed in a town or using buffs from inventory. Cryptic will never issue this kind of difficulty, it is not in the nature of their games. I am sorry, but you might as well tell the majority of the players, you want them play better or else. I understand people don't want to be one shot or team wiped in a dungeon from scaling. The dungeons are not what they use to be prior to mod 6, that was about 4 years ago. Dungeons are not a thing and Foundry is gone, there is still some things I find entertaining in the game, but I am playing less often now.

The title of this thread stuck me as, "Oh someone is trying to provoke the wrath of the A typical Cryptic gamer.". You can place all the good or bad advice you like into the forums, because the developers don't care to take any advice at all. Some will listen, but they don't heed good advice. All threads like this do, is start players screaming at each other, and a moderator has to shut them down. For now I recommend you invest in a game called Dark Souls, I don't play it, but I hear it is very challenging.
    wb-cenders.gif
    I still feel DDO has the correct method to discourage zerger and should taken as a reference by Cryptic.
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User
    dolrey said:

Hello :)

After previous big patch a lot of technical issues were fixed. Overall now game by itself is very good and we appreciate this. But there still is one thing in players behavior which make dungeons much less interesting. Most part of players is used to think that they are like Rambo should rush forward ahead of their teammates to have as much damage indicator in menu as possible. Needless to say that a lot of players prefer to play content if not as role player but at least not rush like mad thru all dungeons. These speed runners just don't listen players who want to enjoy content. So then developers should make some actions to protect players who want to play normally and enjoy dungeons and stories (because by itself dungeons and stories are very good if not taking into account behaviour of speed runners).

And here are some ideas how to stop this:

1) Delete menu where we can see damage dealt or healing or damage taket etc. It is supposed to give more info to us to improve gameplay. But in practice players use it only to compare "whos sword is bigger" you know. So, no cherry on the cake no reason to rush forward.

2) Greatly increase price of 80 lvl medical kits (to about 6-8k astral diamonds) and delete immune to injuries from vip. Instead for vip add some free bound to character medical kits in daily rewards (about 2-4 per day). After this every Rambo will have to think twice before rushing forward because death penalty will be much higher.

So, these two relatively easy changes can improve behavior of some players and add some risk to epic dungeons finally preventing speed runners. Dungeons and content by itself are very good after latest fixes. @nitocris83 could you please send this feedback to developers team to they make the final touch in fixing PvE.

Thank you.

Ps: if somebody still would like to complete dungeons as fast as possible they still will be able to do so with their friends. How to say it well.. Just culture of dungeon playing will be much better what will improve user's perception of the game.

____

The day Devs removes immune to injuries from Vip, I'll stop buying it.
    And the rest:
    I'm guessing you just have. . . . "a little sword", you know. ;)

Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
This discussion has been closed.