test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 16 Racial Changes

mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
I know plenty was discussed about companions, classes, enchantment, scaling content, etc...

One thing that I felt was overlooked was the changes to the racial passives, more specifically human race.

I find this change another annoyance with mod 16 that the devs did not consider how the change will impact players who have human characters. I know plenty of players who swapped or created a human as the extra three heroic feat points allowed the human race to be competitive as a damage dealer when compared to the other races. Mod 16 removes this feature and now humans get one extra towards their ability point so instead of +2 they now get +3. Honestly that is the worst bonus out of all the races as other races get +2 to two abilities and they all get an additional bonus or two on top of that. The only thing that made the human race worth taking in prior mods was the 3 extra heroic feats.

I am already annoyed that come 6/18 I have to adjust my companions, enchantments, and character build. I am not looking forward to another change onto of all that just to ensure I can do my role in content as a damage dealer.

I know the devs probably won't give out a racial change token but they should given how things have adjusted and changed for some races.

Comments

• tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    Oh they won't I can assure you
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    They should have granted one free race change per character when M16 launched on PC, but that, of course, didn't happen.

Alternatively they could drop what's left of the D&D traditionalist pretense and allow characters to choose "background" bonuses vs. racial so that race becomes purely cosmetic and the starting bonuses are attributed to upbringing/training/acts-of-the-gods/what-have-you.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    vorphied said:

They should have granted one free race change per character when M16 launched on PC, but that, of course, didn't happen.

Alternatively they could drop what's left of the D&D traditionalist pretense and allow characters to choose "background" bonuses vs. racial so that race becomes purely cosmetic and the starting bonuses are attributed to upbringing/training/acts-of-the-gods/what-have-you.

I agree with your thoughts on this 100%.

Not sure if the AP gain from sun elf is worth being a sun elf over a tiefling.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Personally, I changed my Wizard race for Human in mod 11 or 12, because it was the best choice for single target damage.
    In mod 16 my wizard is still Human, I will not change my race anymore, I like the esthetic of my character and 0,25% for 1 stat point is really low to feel the difference.
    From my point of view, In mod 16 races are more a personal cosmetic choice.
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • bonz0dog#1515 bonz0dog Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Eh, I still cannot figure out why no-one likes Drow. Personally, always been a big fan of Drow/Dark Elves, racials just dont matter to me.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User

vorphied said:

I agree with your thoughts on this 100%.

Not sure if the AP gain from sun elf is worth being a sun elf over a tiefling.
    The AP gain isn't anything at all, but Tiefling's CON and CHA options are fairly worthless. And I'm personally tired of the horns and tail shtick.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User

Eh, I still cannot figure out why no-one likes Drow. Personally, always been a big fan of Drow/Dark Elves, racials just dont matter to me.

Whatcho talkin bout? :p If you're talking about why no one likes them from an RP/Lore standpoint it's because of their rep. Its either that or due to the presence of so many Drizzt clones running around. If its because you don't run into them while in game, could just be your timing because there are folks playing them. They're just not BiS for almost near every class like *cough cough* Dragonborn. Personally, I prefer Drow characters to almost all others. Always have. Even before that goody-goody, melancholy ranger made his debut.

Now wrt the original posting, that is a raw deal considering that third feat was a big attraction for folks to play human. I wish the devs would remedy that somehow but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @mebengalsfan#9264 said:
    > I know plenty was discussed about companions, classes, enchantment, scaling content, etc...
    >
    > One thing that I felt was overlooked was the changes to the racial passives, more specifically human race.
    >
    > I find this change another annoyance with mod 16 that the devs did not consider how the change will impact players who have human characters. I know plenty of players who swapped or created a human as the extra three heroic feat points allowed the human race to be competitive as a damage dealer when compared to the other races. Mod 16 removes this feature and now humans get one extra towards their ability point so instead of +2 they now get +3. Honestly that is the worst bonus out of all the races as other races get +2 to two abilities and they all get an additional bonus or two on top of that. The only thing that made the human race worth taking in prior mods was the 3 extra heroic feats.
    >
    > I am already annoyed that come 6/18 I have to adjust my companions, enchantments, and character build. I am not looking forward to another change onto of all that just to ensure I can do my role in content as a damage dealer.
    >
    > I know the devs probably won't give out a racial change token but they should given how things have adjusted and changed for some races.

I know its not cool to lose something you have built around and planned based upon. However, you will notice that once changes hit, basically the only thing that will matter will be weapon base stat and armor base stat give or take a few rings. All other things are meh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!

> @mebengalsfan#9264 said:

> I know plenty was discussed about companions, classes, enchantment, scaling content, etc...

>

> One thing that I felt was overlooked was the changes to the racial passives, more specifically human race.

>

> I find this change another annoyance with mod 16 that the devs did not consider how the change will impact players who have human characters. I know plenty of players who swapped or created a human as the extra three heroic feat points allowed the human race to be competitive as a damage dealer when compared to the other races. Mod 16 removes this feature and now humans get one extra towards their ability point so instead of +2 they now get +3. Honestly that is the worst bonus out of all the races as other races get +2 to two abilities and they all get an additional bonus or two on top of that. The only thing that made the human race worth taking in prior mods was the 3 extra heroic feats.

>

> I am already annoyed that come 6/18 I have to adjust my companions, enchantments, and character build. I am not looking forward to another change onto of all that just to ensure I can do my role in content as a damage dealer.

>

> I know the devs probably won't give out a racial change token but they should given how things have adjusted and changed for some races.

I know its not cool to lose something you have built around and planned based upon. However, you will notice that once changes hit, basically the only thing that will matter will be weapon base stat and armor base stat give or take a few rings. All other things are meh

Cough..cough...FFXIV and ESO will now get my money. Not my loss one bit.
    edited June 2019

Personally, I changed my Wizard race for Human in mod 11 or 12, because it was the best choice for single target damage.
    In mod 16 my wizard is still Human, I will not change my race anymore, I like the esthetic of my character and 0,25% for 1 stat point is really low to feel the difference.
    From my point of view, In mod 16 races are more a personal cosmetic choice.

Human gets .25% more damage than other races for having 3 available for the primary ability score. As for races being cosmetic I would disagree; Tiefling gets bonus to damage and a debuff when hit makes them a good choice for any damage dealer; especially warlocks, wizards, and clerics as the bonus to stats are Int and Cha. In fact, do to the companion changes any dps looking for some added damage would benefit being a Tiefling.

If you are melee based DPS half-orc are a great option as it provides +2 in STR and an increase in crit severity. Both crit sev and the damage bonus from being a tiefling are similar in damage output; the difference is one you get bonus CHA and debuff when hit or you can run faster.

The last race worth taking is Dragonborn for its bonuses.

Top 2 damage dealer races based on damage type:
    Magical: Tiefling or Dragonborn
    Physical: Half-Orc or Dragonborn

IMO the best race for all builds is Dragonborn; even though it is ugly and well ruins most head pieces.
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    The changes to the racial were one thing, another was the fact that people used race rerolls to adjust their starting stats. The new mod changed each class its own starting stats, with no variation. So those that used a reroll to change stats, are forced to use another if they don't like where they slotted their +2 choices. There is no choice now...fine. But to try and make an extra dollar off those that already spent, just to adjust the +2 again? Just make a training token needed to change the +2's if not changing the race, everything else is preset on the stats anyways now.