test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Long time ago... Neverwinter back then and Neverwinter now.

barbie#2808 barbie Member Posts: 357 Arc User
In 2013 one of my friends recommended me this game to play, so i gave it a try, since i am competitive by nature i started playing Neverwinter more often than my friend, because i wanted to advance faster than him, since then i kept playing the game, and i've seen changes in the game and i adapted to all of them, but... there is always a but, compared to new players that started mod 6, or console players that started mod 5, i have experienced different things for the past 6 years, and i belive i have the knowledge to provide feedback on how Neverwinter feels now, compared to back then.
Neverwinter since mod 0 till mod 4 was fine, and the reason of that was simple, content was way different than now.
Good side of the game back then:
- Dungeons either tier 1 or tier 2 were equally challenging in terms of difficulty, i remember people running Dungeons on daily basis without feeling like they were repeating the same pattern all of the time, because these Dungeons were really hard to finish and they were providing rewards.
- Rewards, all of the equipment dropped by the 1st, 2nd and 3rd boss were Bound on Equip, which means we could sell them on AH and obtain Astral Diamonds, since difficulty and rng were a thing, these were setting the value of these items on the market.
- Prices in Auction House had value because the content was difficult to finish, and even thou the RNG wasn't worse and items were droppin most of the times for my group, we were splitting the loot or the Astral Diamonds obtained by selling the loot in Auction House.
- Items weren't obsolete in the next module: When Malabog or Valindra were released and Crafting Weapons in Professions were a thing, the new tier of weapons 2.5 and the sets from that weren't that powerfull compared to the tier 2 sets from Karrundax, Frozen Heart, Spellplague or Temple of the Spider and weapons from Castle Never, people were still making alot of Astral Diamonds back then for selling tier 2 pieces, CN weapons, Malabog and Valindra fragments and also rings from Pirate king.
- When artifact equipment was released in m4 0legendary belt-, people used to farm those Dragons that spammend in Velosk, or Whispering Caverns etc. Selling them making some good money.

But then, it all went to worse, and this is when Developers started to make a really bad habit out of it
- Items, every module Developers were adding more and more items to make the previous ones Obsolete, and when Module 5 came out with the artifact weapon set by finishing the campaign you would get the best Weapon set ingame, made CN , Malabog and Valindra feel worthless to run, because the best weapons were in those 3 Dungeons, and now everyone could get them by doing Dailies, so by default 3 Dungeons were made obsolete.
- Power creep, all of the Dungeons were really easy to farm, players could que for them Solo and finish them, and that was when Developers were chasing Money over good content, because they were adding new stuff to make players follow that, instead of playing a good game.

Not everything was good and all, because some of the stuff back then were bad too
like making Astral Diamonds by not playing the game, like Leadership or invoking were one of them, which obviously i consider the current system where you play content you obtain rough AD, rather than doing nothing and obtain rough AD, so how AD i created out of thin air is way better now imo.

What gone wrong?
Obviously Power creep, Developers started adding artifact equipment, making the content being soleable by players, inflating the prices, also bringing Legendary Weapons that were obtained by completing the Well of Dragons Campaign, which would make the other sets completly useless.

So to sum up my whole experience back then:

I created my account, picked the class which i wanted to play, and i started to level up, i didnt rushed to reach level 60, i actually spent time to level and take opportunity to run Skirmishes and do PvP aswell, by the time i reached lvl 60 i had around 300k AD (it didnt mean alot, but it meant someth). Once reached level 60 i took my time to run every tier 1, tier 2, playing Gauntlegrym to run the tier 1 Dungeon (i was on the losing side of the PVP), but i was still making profit, i played , made Astral Diamond, spent into making enchants till i ended up BiS, in module 3-4 i started playing PVP and it was hella fun, the PvP Community wasnt the friendliest, but it wasn't bad either, we were filling TeamSpeak Servers of people that PvPed, i haven't experience such things in PvE thou, but still PvE was way better back then, than it was after module 6.
Anyway the game was feeling Endless in a way that there wasn't 1 thing that would beat the rest of the content, this is what was great back then, and the reason which i understand clearly back then why module 6 happened, was because
1. 4/4 sets were hard to balance
My request back then was to make more than 1 set viable per class, there were 5 sets that they werent equally strong
2. Content became easy
Well content wouldn't have become easy if you guys wouldn't had created power creep in the first place. That was the only reason why people were doing the content Solo, that and also class balance, since you guys loved to give broken buffs to your loved classes.

Anyway module 6 came out and new Legendary Weapons, obviously you guys repeated the same mistake, you made only 1 Weapon set worth farming out of 4, so people were obtainin that Weapon, and then when mod 7 came out you guys brought new sets aswell, basically making the m6 sets useless, and when that wasn't enough you guys released mod 8, bringing legendary rings, and more sets to make previous ones obsolete.. and from here on you guys kept on releasing content to make the previous content useless.

When i started to play the game, the game felt liniar.
You lvl from 1 to 60 and you progress by playing Dungeons and doing other stuff... Game felt way better, but then m6 came with a lvl cap to 70, which obviously everythin became obsolete or old content being purged, cause that was the intention anyway.. and after m8, every new Dungeon had to make the other Dungeons useless, and you guys kept this model till m15, my problem now would be that the game doesn't feel the same on how it was when i started, and not only that, because you guys made so many things obsolete, even now those things are still in game, including Zones or items of Dungeons that aren't ingame, or Dungeons that people run even by this day or campaigns that will reward them with old gear that isn't usefull at all, so i wonder why aren't you guys doing something about it to make Neverinwter m16 feel like Neverwinter m1, since people are calling m16 a Neverwinter 2.0, why don't you guys take this chance to normalize the game once again?

m16 isn't bad imo, i love the Class Revamp, this is problably the only good change with the whole module, what i dislike is that you guys didnt tried to make the game feel more liniar, like when i started the game and i level 1 to 60, now the game feels like 3 different eras when you level
1 to 60, 60 to 70 and 70 to 80, just make it more liniar from 1 to 80.

Please also keep the difficulty of all of the Dungeons at the same place, and bring back the good things that were back in the day. Now players aren't invoking and aren't making leadership armies to creat AD out of thin air, they are playing the game.

Please return the game to what it once used to be, please return us to the Dungeon era, where we dont wait for a new module to make the previous Dungeon be useless, please make Neverwinter with Dungeons that are equally challenging and difficult.

Please delete old zones, and redo the quest line so that the game feels much more liniar, instead of being so tedious to level up, delete all of those zones that do not have a Dungeon, I think this would be the best.

Will let other veterans that used to play since mod 0 to continue this story.. since without a doubt the developers nowadays do not remember neverwinter back then.

@nitocris83

Comments

• Options
    quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Make the title, "A long time ago, in a Neverwinter far far away" :p

• Options
    quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Right on, I was looking at weaps from River District campaign, they had lower ilvl, but the same number of stats as the new weaps. The only thing that was different was ofc the special proc, and weapon damage was about half of the new weaps.

I would really like to play with the Fey weaps for more ap gain, but the weap damage is so small, it's probably not worth it. If they made the weapon damage the same on all weapons, then the devs would actually have to be creative when making new ones instead of just giving more and more damage than the old.

• Options
    kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    Have to agree. The best mod is mod1-4. Things were not so out of place then. Mod 6 the worst, removing soft cap on stat is a mistake. It cause crit to lose its value when 100% crit is easily obtain by everyone. It basically destroy the crit base class. Now they trying to fix it by making all crit to stay below 50%. Back then, low base damage class like TR and HR are given function to boost their crit % which make class variant more interesting. These days everyone just share the same 50% cap. Mod 16 changes are good but not as interesting as mod 1-4. It just kinda mundane.