test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Paladin Feedback

Comments

• asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer

wow lots will leave i fear... :( I don't really understand WHY...you are opening this until all bugs Are fixed ? ? If you go to a store and buy something that is broken when you open it... you take it back !!

This is nothing like buying something that is broken. When you sign up for the preview shard you're volunteering your time to test content before it is released when we are openly stating that the content will have bugs. I understand the frustration when a bug goes live, but please bear in mind that this is meant to be a test. Things will change on here as well, there will be large buffs and nerfs to things you might get used to over the next few weeks. If you'd rather not be frustrated by this sort of thing, please do not play on preview, and wait for the update to go live.

asterdahl said:

Took my Pally (tank) and my Warlock through the intro after respec'ing them. Both had healer companions. My Pally, whos HP normally never went into the red was bleeding HP as I could not keep my Templar's Wrath up and the healer was not keeping up.

Templar's wrath is a very different spell than it was pre Module 16. It's mostly for keeping threat in AoE situations, I would try adjusting what powers you are using as a paladin and see if that changes things. I haven't had a lot of trouble soloing as a paladin.

That being said, warlock is a bit too powerful right now, so it doesn't surprise me that things felt very easy as a soulweaver. We'll be making further adjustments.

ROTFLMAO.... Ah... the problem is I would never take this "tank" to tank anything! I'm sorry but this pally version is garbage. JMHO. I mean this is my main and I now HATE playing it. There is just nothing I like about this new class update.
    Please try playing with your powers a bit more before deciding that Paladin is a worthless tank. I've been playing paladin as tank in a number of internal playtests in various endgame dungeons and it is a very capable tank. Please try to provide specific feedback if you're having trouble.
    mortsmash said:

The Justicar's Oath of Protection Mechanic is listed as a 30% DR.
    Ignoring any modification from defense or any other source of damage mitigation, the Log should show something like this as the minimum:
    [Combat (Self)] XXXXX deals 7000 (10000) Physical Damage to you with XXXXX Attack.
    however, I am seeing hits more like this following:
    [Combat (Self)] Warrior deals 9519 (10944) Physical Damage to you with Charge.
    [Combat (Self)] Sharpshooter deals 20263 (23415) Physical Damage to you with Ranged Attack.
    [Combat (Self)] Warrior deals 13316 (15310) Physical Damage to you with Excruciating Stab.

That is more like 15%DR. And this is also ignoring the 20K Defense (??%DR) + Divine Pallisade (10%DR) + Absolution (20%DR).

Please note that defense and "reduction to damage taken" are not calculated the same way. Additionally, the product of all defensive buffs (not the sum) is used to calculate incoming damage. We've made some changes to the way various buffs are calculated, and this does mean things will work differently than you may have expected them to based on the game prior to Module 16.

You can imagine why this change was made, but it does mean that you should approach using mitigative cooldowns differently. In terms of EHP over time, its best to spread out your mitigation. However, there will definitely be boss fights, particularly in the future, where you'll need to make careful use of these mitigative abilities together in order to survive. However, stacking a bunch together won't cause you to quickly hit a hard cap.

asterdahl said:

Please try playing with your powers a bit more before deciding that Paladin is a worthless tank. I've been playing paladin as tank in a number of internal playtests in various endgame dungeons and it is a very capable tank. Please try to provide specific feedback if you're having trouble.

Please explain what you are doing as Paladin (powers/class features/etc) during these playtests because I have tried a number of combinations of power and I am not finding this to be a fun experience. And if the answer is to swap between Block and Absolution then this will be a very disappointing Mod.

The answer is certainly not to "swap" between block and absolution. For one thing, block and absolution do two completely different things and their effects stack as a result. If you desperately need to survive, you're best using them together.

Some amount of blocking is certainly required, depending on the difficulty of the dungeon. If you don't block at all, you're wasting effective hit points, your stamina should always be below 100% basically. But that doesn't mean you're holding down block permanently, you block a few hits, then let it regenerate, then block a few hits, especially bigger attacks, so you save the healer some of their resources, and the healer can also DPS more as a result.

But that's just addressing blocking. In terms of other power usage, there are a lot of reasonable options at the moment. Just tanking groups of trash I commonly run sacred weapon, binding oath, and templar's wrath (or bane, if my DPS aren't challenging my threat heavily). But I commonly swap in absolution or divine touch if the healer is having any trouble. I also sometimes run smite and relentless avenger if the content has smaller pulls or priority targets and my DPS are running single target builds.

Are you having trouble surviving or keeping aggro? What content have you been running and what was your group like?
  • jeboleth#9086 jeboleth Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Agro hasn't been an issue, surviving was an issue in Lair of Lostmauth. Both the first and second boss was having trouble staying alive. We also somehow got overwhelmed by the packs between the second and third boss. Part of the problem is also that a lot of class features and feats almost push you to use Smite which eats away at divinity preventing you from using Divine Pallisade.

I will play around with some of the powers you listed and see if it feels any better. The removal of the temp hp and shielding from templar's wrath and binding oath has also been pretty drastic change that will take getting used to.

On a positive note, solo play is pretty decent now. Had no trouble doing some of the initial quests in the new area. I am enjoying removal of knock back with Relentless Avenger.
  • dragonsbait#8646 dragonsbait Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I know it must be a bug but in the stronghold against some level 70 normal mobs I was taking hits of 150k, 250k and 450k after about a 50% mitigation of the damage all the time. Getting 1 or 2 shotted all the time. Also happened in the catacombs all the time. Made for a very interesting experience. I haven't been able to make much progress as i spend all my time dying and going back to the campfire.
  • jeboleth#9086 jeboleth Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Stronghold is a known bug and has to do with scaling. It was acknowledged by Cryptic in another thread.

Agro hasn't been an issue, surviving was an issue in Lair of Lostmauth. Both the first and second boss was having trouble staying alive. We also somehow got overwhelmed by the packs between the second and third boss. Part of the problem is also that a lot of class features and feats almost push you to use Smite which eats away at divinity preventing you from using Divine Pallisade.

I will play around with some of the powers you listed and see if it feels any better. The removal of the temp hp and shielding from templar's wrath and binding oath has also been pretty drastic change that will take getting used to.

On a positive note, solo play is pretty decent now. Had no trouble doing some of the initial quests in the new area. I am enjoying removal of knock back with Relentless Avenger.

We were seeing some bizarrely high damage from some enemies in Lair of Lostmauth in a recent playtest and will be looking into it. As you said, the changes do take some getting used to, but things should be much smoother in the next few weeks as we nail down the outliers in various dungeons.

There are quite a few cases of random bosses and even trash mobs with unexpectedly high damage. There are also reverse cases, where some bosses have unexpectedly low health. Some of these issues were around for a long time, and are now more obvious that most of the game has been adjusted so that damage is more predictable and players aren't running around with ungodly amounts of mitigation.

Reports of specific enemies or bosses that were too hard (or too easy) are greatly appreciated.
  • mortsmashmortsmash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 8 Arc User
    Oath of Protection
    Mechanic

Reduces damage dealt by 30% and increases threat generation.

I assumed the wording was a slight grammatical error and that the intent was that damage "taken" by the Justicar Paladin would be reduced by 30%. Should this be taken as written and that this Path of paladin is under a permanent damage dealing debuff?

Should the intent of the mechanic be to decrease the damage taken by the Justicar Paladin, the mechanic does not appear to be working as written. Ignoring all other forms of damage reduction from all other sources, a scalar multiplier of -30% would result in a minimum drop of 30%. The changes to incoming damage values I am seeing are significantly less than this 30% minimum.
    mortsmash said:

Oath of Protection
    Mechanic

Reduces damage dealt by 30% and increases threat generation.

I assumed the wording was a slight grammatical error and that the intent was that damage "taken" by the Justicar Paladin would be reduced by 30%. Should this be taken as written and that this Path of paladin is under a permanent damage dealing debuff?

Should the intent of the mechanic be to decrease the damage taken by the Justicar Paladin, the mechanic does not appear to be working as written. Ignoring all other forms of damage reduction from all other sources, a scalar multiplier of -30% would result in a minimum drop of 30%. The changes to incoming damage values I am seeing are significantly less than this 30% minimum.

Ahh, I was a little confused when you first mentioned this, but I'm not in the office so I couldn't check to see if something was wrong. "Reduces damage dealt" is not a typo or grammatical error, it means you deal less damage. Since all tanks have a passive that reads like this, I spoke a little in the fighter thread already to someone asking about it, I'll post that exact discussion here.
    asterdahl said:

In regards to the 30% reduction in damage: damage magnitudes on all roles are balanced the same way; however, we obviously don't want it to be the case that when you queue up as a tank that you're out damaging a similarly geared DPS. And because you share some of your powers with the DPS fighter, we need to make sure that there's an adjustment there to compensate.

That being said, we know it can be a little bit stressful from a psychological perspective to see that damage adjustment spelled out in a passive power. We may consider lowering the base magnitudes of all tank powers and removing that adjustment based on feedback.

In the past, there were plenty of passive things like this going on in the background, but they weren't exposed. We've decided to expose them now, but I recognize that they can feel bizarre, so please keep providing feedback and we may adjust the way this sort of information is presented. Paladin doesn't have the issue of having a DPS spec that shares the same base class, but the healers are not meant to receive the same damage reduction either, as they generally need to choose between using resources to deal damage and heal, whereas tanks are naturally dealing damage to perform their role.
    The previous Paladin shield effect was omnidirectional. The Guardian Fighter was orientation specific but a higher damage reduction.
    The new Justicar Block Mechanic appears to be orientation specific. Is this intentional? Is so, I hope the description can include this nuance as it is an additional deviation from the previous Paladin mechanic.
    mortsmash said:

The previous Paladin shield effect was omnidirectional. The Guardian Fighter was orientation specific but a higher damage reduction.
    The new Justicar Block Mechanic appears to be orientation specific. Is this intentional? Is so, I hope the description can include this nuance as it is an additional deviation from the previous Paladin mechanic.

It is intentionally directional. All three tanks share a directional block power. I believe the language on block indicates this, but I will take a look and make sure that it does before we ship Module 16 to live.
    Block
    Tactical
    Raise your shield, absorbing damage up to your total maximum hit points. Damage taken while blocking depletes your stamina/
    Added Effect: You are immune to most control effects.
    Effect ends when stamina is depleted.

--
    I would suggest something similar to Valorous Strike where the degree arc is given.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    It would be great if the Divinity meter didn't fade from view at all. Its hard to track it filling up if you are out of combat. Also the refill rate out of combat is painfully slow.

Actually it seems faster to not press Tab on the OP than it does to use the Tab refill.
    Post edited by obsidiancran3 on
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • armagus02armagus02 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Thanks for reporting this. We will look into the scaling in these areas. I was tanking the new unreleased dungeon, Tomb of the Nine Gods, and Malabog's Castle internally this week and it felt great. Try giving one of those two dungeons a try if you have more time. Let me know if you have a similar experience.

Cure wounds is pretty terrible right now, its not meant to be very good, as we don't want to let any significant healing happen without consuming a resource, and its a free heal, but we're looking at making adjustments. That said, I'm surprised that your Divine Shelter was healing for 3-5k... I assume that was ToS(M) not the leveling ToS?

In terms of divinity regeneration, it is very slow for healers, intentionally, managing the resource is very important and you need to be able to run out. That being said, if your heals are unexpectedly low, running out will happen far, far too often. We've only had our healers run out internally when we make huge mistakes or in very difficult pulls, so we'll look into what is going on with scaling in those areas. Just know that the goal is not for you to be running out in those scenarios.

Thank you for responding. I will try to get a chance to try those dungeons soon. And yes it was Temple Of Spider (Master) where my heals felt so weak. I tried taking a guildmate of mine to Barovia to do some weekly quests and my Divine Shelter and Divine Touch were healing between 15-28k HP. My power at the time was about 43k. However, we went to Dread Ring and we had a very slow time doing the daily quest there where you enter the Deathforge. Monsters were taking damage between 2-4k tops. Also, the boss in there (Jawbone) was slow to defeat. Only our dailies were doing decent damage. Both our at-wills and encounter powers were weak against the boss. My friend was playing his Rouge class. I think there is something wrong for sure with the Item Scaling in preview.

I don't think the management of Divinity would be so bad if the Item Scaling wasn't acting so oddly. But I also agree with what others are posting about Divinity. I can understand running out of Divinity in combat, and making it slow to recover, but I think there has to be a compromise about it being a bit faster to recover, even if just outside of combat. Right now it takes so long to recover Divinity (both in and out of combat) that the TAB mechanic isn't even worth using.
    edited March 2019
    armagus02 said:

asterdahl said:

Thanks for reporting this. We will look into the scaling in these areas. I was tanking the new unreleased dungeon, Tomb of the Nine Gods, and Malabog's Castle internally this week and it felt great. Try giving one of those two dungeons a try if you have more time. Let me know if you have a similar experience.

Cure wounds is pretty terrible right now, its not meant to be very good, as we don't want to let any significant healing happen without consuming a resource, and its a free heal, but we're looking at making adjustments. That said, I'm surprised that your Divine Shelter was healing for 3-5k... I assume that was ToS(M) not the leveling ToS?

In terms of divinity regeneration, it is very slow for healers, intentionally, managing the resource is very important and you need to be able to run out. That being said, if your heals are unexpectedly low, running out will happen far, far too often. We've only had our healers run out internally when we make huge mistakes or in very difficult pulls, so we'll look into what is going on with scaling in those areas. Just know that the goal is not for you to be running out in those scenarios.

Thank you for responding. I will try to get a chance to try those dungeons soon. And yes it was Temple Of Spider (Master) where my heals felt so weak. I tried taking a guildmate of mine to Barovia to do some weekly quests and my Divine Shelter and Divine Touch were healing between 15-28k HP. My power at the time was about 43k. However, we went to Dread Ring and we had a very slow time doing the daily quest there where you enter the Deathforge. Monsters were taking damage between 2-4k tops. Also, the boss in there (Jawbone) was slow to defeat. Only our dailies were doing decent damage. Both our at-wills and encounter powers were weak against the boss. My friend was playing his Rouge class. I think there is something wrong for sure with the Item Scaling in preview.

I don't think the management of Divinity would be so bad if the Item Scaling wasn't acting so oddly. But I also agree with what others are posting about Divinity. I can understand running out of Divinity in combat, and making it slow to recover, but I think there has to be a compromise about it being a bit faster to recover, even if just outside of combat. Right now it takes so long to recover Divinity (both in and out of combat) that the TAB mechanic isn't even worth using.
    Happy to reply! Also, thank you for being so specific about where you encountered your issues. We're aware of some general scaling issues, but knowing specific encounters that felt too long, too tough, too easy, or too short is super helpful.

Divinity regeneration actually does get a boost outside of combat, that's not to say we won't consider increasing the boost. Also, we've found during internal playtests that the tab mechanic is worth using. However, it is definitely something you need to use in a more preparatory way, as opposed to reacting to an emergency.

Of course, if you're absolutely out of divinity, there's not much else you can do unless you have a daily up, so you should try to use it to eek out enough divinity for a heal. However, if it regenerated divinity much faster, there wouldn't really be enough of an impact from the healer running out of divinity that it wipes the group. (Which is the point, the healer's resources representing a natural failure state for most encounters was a key missing element to group content pre Mod 16.)

That said, that's not to say divinity won't get some small tweaks. Your continued feedback as you play around with it more is invaluable. Divinity was something that even internally a lot of people reacted very negatively to at first. However, after a lot of tuning, and some time to let it soak in, people have gotten used to it, and its been feeling pretty good.
  • lipbulllipbull Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Hi all - been there with my maxed powershare Paladin and oneshotted a few times - also use templar and can´t see the extra hitpoints. The Enforcer hits me harder than a truck it think :) but also the smallest mobs kill my toon. Here´s a one-shot log:

[Kampf (Allein)] Enforcer fügt Charakter mit „Quick Stab“ 2335 (2799) Physischer Schaden zu.

[Kampf (Allein)] Kritischer Treffer! Charakter fügt Enforcer mit „Kühner Schlag“ 4434 Lichtschaden zu.

[Kampf (Allein)] Kritischer Treffer! Charakter fügt Enforcer mit „Bronzeholz-Waffe“ 200 Arkanschaden zu.

[Kampf (Allein)] Enforcer fügt Charakter mit „Quick Stab“ 215965 (258870) Physischer Schaden zu.

[Kampf (Allein)] Kritischer Treffer! Charakter fügt Enforcer mit „Zorn des Templers“ 35269 Lichtschaden zu.

[Kampf (Allein)] Kritischer Treffer! Charakter fügt Enforcer mit „Bronzeholz-Waffe“ 1587 Arkanschaden zu.

[Kampf (Allein)] Enforcer fügt Charakter mit „Stab“ 719885 (862900) Physischer Schaden zu.

[Kampf (Allein)] Ihr könnt diese Kraft nicht verwenden.

[Fehler] Ihr seid im Kampf gefallen!

Hi, Asterdahl. First of all, thank you that you take your time to answer so many questions.

When I played the paladin on the preview server, I got the feeling he does not take that good anymore.

In general, I had some problems to regenerate action points and divinity during combat. Is there any way to increase the gain of these ressources?

I think the cooldown of some certain powers are too high. For instance, binding oath needs about 24 seconds to regenerate with a 5 second duration time.

Templars wrath is not working properly. I do not see any temporary hitpoints when I activate this power.

You said that you were running relentless avenger sometimes in the dungeon. I would also like to run this encounter power more often. However, many of my guild members find it annoying that every mob is getting kicked around. Is it possible to make the enemies get prone or getting pushed together so that they are standing on one point instead of sending them in all four directions?

At last but not least, how much defense should a tank aim for in module 16 and is there also a cap for defense?

I'm happy to answer all of your questions as I am able. That being said, a lot of your questions are best answered by re-reading your powers tooltips. Many of them have changed, and you're asking questions based on assumptions that the powers work how they used to, and not how they work now, and how they are now described to work.

For instance, templar's wrath does not give temporary hit points anymore, it is an AoE damage and threat generation ability. Relentless Avenger no longer knocks targets as well.

In terms of defense you should aim for, as a developer I'm hesitant to give a specific suggestion right now, as the numbers are not yet set in stone. That being said, I'm sure some other posters will be providing guides and tips in the near future. That said: defense does not really have a hard cap you are in any danger of hitting, as monsters have armor penetration which can overcome a significant portion of your defense, meaning you're very unlikely to get to any cap.
    Hi asterdahl,
    thx, that answers my Question about templar (in this case the Tooltip is false) but why can the Mobs (and this is a very Little one at the beginning) 1-shot me? I am on a tank build in undermountain. I have +250k hp and when a Little mob can hit me for 720k im a bit confused. I can´t tank myself at the Moment. :)
    But all good so far... this is exactly what the thread is made for.
    Greets, ObelX
  • bazylikonbazylikon Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Greetings to all,
    At the beginning I would like to apologize for linguistic mistakes.. English is not my native language. My character is not endgame only normal leveling character with more than 13k gs with boons from guild. I chose the path of Justicar. I understand the new policy. The game has to take more time, it has to be harder and the characters have to be weakened. But what is happening is absurd. I'm one shot dead man. Trash mobs kill me on one hit with Stronghold, Dread ring.. even Sharandar 64lvl redcap kill me on one hit. I'm a tank. I can have a lot less dps, but I must resist atack from the boss.. currently I am not able to fight with trash mobs on started location. How should I gain experience to 80 lvl when I die all the time on one hit? I see that the problem does not affect all oathbound paladin. Is it possible that my character is broken for other reasons, such as the choice of race or companions? I made a race change from a man to dragonborn. Currently, my character is not playable.
    Hi bazy - normally you are a german oak as a Pally but on preview there is a Problem with us - i went back to undermountain a few minutes ago and want to do the entire quest with the Spiders - here ist the result, what a spider do to me:

[Kampf (Allein)] Borstenspinne fügt Charakter mit „Giftspucken“ 922286 (1105829)
    which means in tanslation
    [Fight (Alone)] ...???spider Damage Character for with "Giftspitting" 922286 (1105829)

Also one shot me as all the other Mobs - im an endgame pally so there is a General Problem in that machanic, cause everybody around me didn´t died.
  • leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    any plans on making the paladin fun to play? or at least name good game to play.
  • megasvassiliosmegasvassilios Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 23 Arc User
    Let's begin by saying that the I hate how my class turned is an understatement. No utility, no diversity on playing useless worthless.
    Now before i make my final decision are following numbers wai

[Combat (Self)] Your Oath Strike deals 539 Radiant Damage to Undertaker Huntsman.

[Combat (Self)] Your Feytouched Weapon deals 24 Psychic Damage to Undertaker Huntsman.

[Combat (Self)] Your Oath Strike deals 536 Radiant Damage to Undertaker Huntsman.

[Combat (Self)] Your Feytouched Weapon deals 24 Psychic Damage to Undertaker Huntsman.

[Combat (Self)] Huntsman deals 334333 (430779) Physical Damage to you with Charge.

or a bad joke

I am not in a proper state of mind now to go in more details about mechanics, boons and powers.

note a copied character of 18.5 item level had summoned companion (thank god it was there cause saved me a lot of times lol)
  • leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User

Let's begin by saying that the I hate how my class turned is an understatement. No utility, no diversity on playing useless worthless.
    Now before i make my final decision are following numbers wai

[Combat (Self)] Your Oath Strike deals 539 Radiant Damage to Undertaker Huntsman.

[Combat (Self)] Your Oath Strike deals 536 Radiant Damage to Undertaker Huntsman.

[Combat (Self)] Huntsman deals 334333 (430779) Physical Damage to you with Charge.

or a bad joke

I am not in a proper state of mind now to go in more details about mechanics, boons and powers.

note a copied character of 18.5 item level had summoned companion (thank god it was there cause saved me a lot of times lol)

excuse me but right now WE are companions
    part 2
    my summoned companion was an earth archon (legerndary) instead of the tiger.

CONGRATZ you have turned paladin into a companion's companion.

My earth archon had 535000 HP and combat log follows

[Combat (Self)] Your Hard as a Rock deals 29196 Physical Damage to Bristle Spider with Hammer Blow.
    [Combat (Self)] Your Hard as a Rock deals 16392 (32784) Physical Damage to Huntsman with Shatter Blast.

and on my turn following Thomas Foss want to give a big shout out to beta testers especially for the paladin that as said by developers had a second pass before preview lol
    " Lifesteal was problematic in that it invalidated most sources of healing and created a situation where a player’s health bar was typically in one of two states: full, or dead. "
    Jared Sears
    Lead Systems Designer

"You can make up for mistakes by spending extra divinity to heal more, but be careful not to run out.|
    Asterdahl
    Systems Designer

• stormhowlerstormhowler Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Running my lvl70, 12k IL healadin through Arcane reservoir, I got one shot by the Cyclopses and the Fomorian Warlord at the final fight.
  • ragnarz2ragnarz2 Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Spent about an hour on my formerly 400k hp 18k+ Prot. Lost over 150k in HP. Aside from my disappointment in losing much of what I worked hard for I found that managing divinity while trying to manage a fight had a negative impact on my enjoyment. At first pass it is a critical distraction rather than a welcome addition of complexity. This new paladin bears little resemblance to the old. A new class was created from the broken shards of the original.

Havent tried Devo. I do not feel inspired to make the attempt.
  • xxdrellaxxxxdrellaxx Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    hi I am trying to copy my toon to the owlbear shard but I keep getting this message

"Please try again!

There was an issue with completing your transfer request. If the issue persists, please look for assistance from our community on the forums!"

I tried several times last night & again several times this morning. There was no issue copying to mimic but owlbear just refuses to accept. Any idea on how to get it to work???