test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Paladin Feedback

Comments

• gormenghast1gormenghast1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    asterdahl said:

Thanks for the feedback! I'd highly, highly recommend swapping out bane or smite for another power when soloing, based on whether you're fighting packs of enemies in groups of 3 or less.

Taking two spenders is really not a great idea in most cases, it can be okay in some group environments, but in solo play, it can be much more beneficial to take powers like burning light or sacred weapon. The latter is quite good damage, especially in AoE situations where it hits on all applications, so you can use radiant strike (which is an AoE) and apply the flat damage of sacred weapon to all enemies in the area.

Burning Light may seem low, but it is up often and costs no divinity. For single target, once you have access, Relentless Avenger also makes a good choice. Try out a few other powers, and let me know what you think.

That being said, I do hear the feedback—people are not a fan of all the blocking, just to regain divinity. So, I will be closely examining the power choices available to Paladin, and the feats, with a focus on providing combat styles with different more varied pacing.

It's you deserving our heartfelt thanks for your presence in these threads, it gives us hope for the future of our characters :)

Getting back to feedback, I had already tried your options of switching bane with Burning Light and Sacred Weapon for AoEs and using Relentless avenger instead of Smite for single target. My considerations over these power setups follow:

- Burning Light: for almost 20s cooldown, a 200 magnitude single AoE hit with a negligible stun is too underwelming when compared to Bane. I prefer to spare those 300 divinity to get a 600 magnitude hit than to slot Burning Light.
    -
    - Sacred Weapon: half a minute of cooldown for 40 magnitude bonus to hits for 10s, which brings Radiant Strike to 38.5 magnitude hits (41.25 with Divine justice slotted). Really, are we meant to play like this? Enter combat, Sacred Weapon and then Radiant Strike, Radiant Strike, Radiant Strike...tunf..tunf...tunf..for 10 seconds to make use of the magnitude buff? All this while a DPS can shoot his encounters and see adds explode, while we are bound to kill them out of boredom? That's what I was talking about when I was referring to the worrying lack of fun gameplay with the current state of the class.

- Relentless Avenger: 11.2s CD for an 800 magnitude hit are not bad, but swapping out Smite for it makes the Paladin seem definitely more lackluster. As of now, Smite has become one of the cardinal encounters of the Paladin at least as much as it is in P&P D&D; it just feels too good to unslot, a bit like IBS for any GWF that has ever played NW. I will keep using it out of the sheer enjoyment it gives when it hits, even if that means waiting for the divinity bar to refill.

There is another matter that I don't have seen addressed anywhere else, so I beg pardon in advance if I have missed it. It concerns the tooltips of At-Wills. In particular:

Valorous Strike, Oath Strike: Range Melee, Arc: 200°
    Radiant Strike: Range 30', Radius 10'
    Shielding Strike: Range Melee, Radius 5'

If we have to consider this, VS and OS should hit all enemies in front and on the sides of the character, while SS should hit all of the ones in a 5' radius centered on the paladin. As far as I see, the only At-Will with a tooltip corresponding to its effect is RS. Do we have to expect a correction on the tooltips or an update to the At-Wills target limits?

Last consideration: it's bad when you are struggling to DPS a pull of mobs while mindlessly hitting them with SW empowered Radiant Strikes, then you see them all vanish and discover that a Barbarian behind you used his Hidden Daggers on them out of pity. That's not very enjoyable and rewarding, really. I know that one of the main target of class balance is to give the right amount of weight in endgame party content, but there can't be so much disparity in how fun it is to get there from a class to the other. The new heroic encounters give rewards just for hitting the air with encounters; a reasonable choice when DPS around you destroy them in half a second and you can't even get near enough to caress them with a Radiant Strike. I think Pally players deserve a bit more.

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    My current Tank Paladin set up for solo play is:
    Relentless Avenger, Smite, Absolution
    Divine Judgement, Shield of Faith/Radiant Charge
    Valiant Strike, Radiant Strike
    Composure, Divine Justice
    And Con Artist summoned pet.

With this set up I've had no trouble working through content, outside of specific problems with bugs (super regen on enemies in HEs, or damage spike bugs).
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    When I change to Heal spec I cannot activate Bane, it only shows the targeting area when I hit alt or enter, and the Bane icon remains trapped on my mouse until I log out to the change character screen an back in.

I get the same bug with Divine Touch.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • renelvon#7059 renelvon Member Posts: 2 Arc User

if you persist with these changes then the very least you could do is give us a class reroll which reflects the level we are currently at and the choice of an exchange of gear at existing item levels. I play and enjoy playing a power share OP tank and from what I have seen on videos the tank is no longer a tank.

I have watched dungeon footage of the mod 16 tank and I no longer want to be that class, it fails at tanking miserably. I have spent a great deal of time and substantial amounts of real life money on getting my OP to where I wanted them which you have in one fell swoop negated. As I said at the start of my post please give class reroll and I do not mean a new class slot.

Edited to add:-I feel about this so strongly that I joined this forum after playing, with short breaks for years. The recent Devs video said that you were taking feedback. Please take this feedback, You had a happy content customer, who recognises the need for well thought out and implemented change; who recognises and applauds the scope of the huge content drop in Mod 16; but who abhors these game play changes. You have left me as a disgruntled customer.

Granting a class reroll requires admitting that sweeping changes might alienate many customers. Given the answers that we have received, alienating customers was probably an objective of Mod 16, rather than a sad side-effect. There is no simpler explanation for what we see. Take note that with the introduction of huge amounts of new gear, the increase of level cap and the destruction of so much effort that has gone into characters, it will be the case that 1-week newbies and 5-year veterans will be close in power. That was demonstrated a few posts before, where someone found that a 11k IL Fighter has a better experience soloing Dread Ring than a 19k IL Paladin. So, this is a complete reset, in an effort to entice new customers to join the game. Making old players exit the game is a necessary price to pay. The sooner we all realise this reality, the better our chances of coming to terms with the changes.

The alternative explanation offered by the dev team, that they have been thinking and designing this "for a long time", doesn't hold up against the crude simplicity of the changes proposed. It doesn't require years of careful thinking to introduce a 30% dmg reduction class mechanic, it takes a few sloppy minutes.
  • xselli#2074 xselli Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I think the basic ideas for the upcoming changes with module 16 are good, I only have a few things which bug me and for which I have a few ideas for improvement

The Tab Power "Divine Pallisade" is not good, please rework this. Because it is a static element and most enemies move, enemies have an advantage and in normal fights allies are not near a tank (apart from codg/tiamat), thats why Divinity is wasted with this ability.

I ask for blocking to be 360° again, because it played a big part in pulling many mob groups and although the enemies were in advantage, I could profit from the shield. Another solution to this would be the ability to use at-wills during blocking.

As compensation for the 30% reduced damage as tank, I would like to see some Defesive stats or extra defense. (e.g. 30% reduced incoming damage, tanks would withstand more and have more freedom for different playstyles, because as tank you have to get many defensive stats.)

Only big and annoying bug I found with the paladin (apart from wrong feats) is that with "Vow of Enmity" the added effect doesn't work = I am not on top of the threat table.

I wil miss the feats as they are in the current game, but I understand why they have been removed for the rework, because they ofer a big variety on play-styles which is hard to balance. I hope they return with future modules (mod 17/18).

Otherwise I have to say I like the idea of counter stats. It feels more like a pen&paper game because in such games you also have to compete against enemy stats.

I hope I could provide a little help with my feedback and don't have touched to many objects which have been already discussed in previous posts.
  • skaarl75skaarl75 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Ok, so after really adjusting to changes I'm running the following. I am still spending the bulk of my time blocking, and only occasionally using at-wills (usually when its a lone mob im fighting). This seems to give a pretty solid flow of divinity and allows for a more slightly more active game play.

At-wills:
    valorous or shielding -> haven't played with shielding much (I just hit 72 and opened it), single target dps valorous is better, use it to buff smites.
    Radiant -> I keep this as a charge/opener

Encounter:
    Binding oath -> damage shield and sta recharge
    smite -> duh
    Bane or TW -> bane is more damage but requires targeting which opens you up for more hits, TW lets ya pop it and turtle back down

It's essentially a holy thorns build and seems to be working quite well. My gear and enchants are bleh (im only 11k on the new system and that's with somne preview server cheat enchants ;) )

I haven't spent time in groups as a tank with it, but in that scenario I would run TW and replace smite with VoE.

The biggest issue now is Pallisade… it's well, not worth using at all. If it had a snap AE aggro component to it it might be worthwhile but as is I get mad if I hit tab instead of Q.

Well and feats... I am running 1, doesn't matter, doesn't matter, 2, locked still at 80. Having 2 feats which literally don't effect anything I use feels, well, whats the point of them?
  • williamyouwilliamyou Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Bug: OP Character stats
    Strength:
    1 point adds 1% damage to melee damage, (it also adds .8% to encounter power damage)
    >However the % damage added when hovered over strength is 0%.

Charisma:
    1 point adds 5 static points to each of your summoned companions stats. Example if it has 1000 deflect and you added 8 charisma points 8x5=40 this adds 40 points to deflect 1040 No matter what the base is it adds 5 points only per point
    >However when hovering over tool tip for charisma it is a % number
    This makes charisma for companions worthless

Intelligence:
    1 point add .01% to encounter spells damage
    WHY?

Bug: BOONS
    Recruit training through Captain training
    1 point spent in these Boon's should add 250 Power and 2000 HP, with all 4 boons maxed(20 points spent) this should add 40K HP
    >However it adds 28,700 Approx. this is a 11K loss and waste of 6 boon point's

Bug: Companion
    Utility enchants that add companion influence strength only add HP to Companion. It does not effect any other stats of the companion.

example: A rank 14 dark adds 4.8% companion influence strength. This increases my companions health from 452,381 to 453,371 a (0.219% increase to health) not even a 25th of a percent.

Bug: Augment Companion
    only add's 23K HP to owner. No matter the companions level or health.
    And Utility enchantments with companion influence strength, does nothing for the owner when increasing the companions health.

Feedback: Companion health is 200% of my Op tank health. Even if I summon an Augment which can't be harmed.
    WHY?

Bug: Dragonborn

With no gear I have one boosted stat, this is Critical chance 1,500 3% for being dragonborn
    but do not have 3% higher power even when adding gear.

Thank you for the New MOD I am loving the graphics and stunning effects that are my OPs battle.
    Keep up the good work and I will keep sending you info.

If all stat information is to be trusted that has been put out. Then I AM CURRENTLY CAPPED IN ALL STATS (minus) STATS THAT HAVE NO CAP HEALTH POWER ETC. I only have crown purchased gear NO rank 15 enchants NO legendary insignia and level 8 runestones.
    Bug: test
    Feedback: So I found that for soloing Justicar is subpar-30% dmg to Oath of Devotion, COP + SW + Smite I can attack 7 times in a row dealing 250K+ damage each strike. With no down time between group fights. I have 1 shotted / 2 shotted all bosses up to last campain dungeon. And I do this from range. If any enemies get close I use daily the group dies.
    Bug:Oath of devotion has no skill assigned to it.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    Divine Pallisade feels more like an Encounter or Daily power to me rather than a Tab ability. I think one of the problems is that since we are moving away from heavy buffing it had to be made a fairly week defensive buff. It also has a high Divinity cost that makes it feel like an all-or-nothing choice to some. Here's a suggestion for a Tab ability that can be tapped to grab a little AoE threat or maintained for more threat and a little control.

JUSTICIAR TAB POWER SUGGESTION:
    Protection From Evil: Ticks every 0.5 seconds, costing 100 Divinity per tick. Affects foes in a 20' radius, but each tick the area of effect grows by 5'. Deals minor damage to each target, but magnitude increases per tick. Generates increased threat. Pushes enemies back on each tick. If you maintain the power for a full 5 seconds affected foes are knocked prone and you are snapped to the top of their threat tables. This ability slows but does not root the Paladin.

Eternal Protector Feat: If you fully maintain your Protection From Evil, there is a chance that your Divinity will be instantly re-filled.

Of course, in most of D&D's history Protection From Evil keeps enemies from approaching and boosts defenses. (It's actually quite different in 5e.) But again, we are moving away from heavy buffing and my experience from decades of D&D has been that Protection From Evil was most often used as a control power to push enemies around.

I acknowledge that by posting this here, the content of this post becomes the intellectual property of Cryptic and/or its parent company PWE to be used or not, in part or in full however they see fit.
  • dominious12dominious12 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    I have some concerns over the balance between the paladin and cleric in terms of the ability to cleanse negative effects, see below for comparison of the 2 classes' comparable divinity-based heals.

Oathkeeper Paladin
    Divine Touch; 80 divinity, magnitude 400 + shield, AoE on target
    Divine Shelter; 150 divinity, magnitude 300 + shield, AoE
    Cleansing touch; 30 divinity, magnitude 200 + cleanse, single target

vs

Devout Cleric
    Bastion of Health; 80 divinity, magnitude 800, AoE on target
    Healing Word; 160 divinity, magnitude 300 + 80 heal over time x 21s, AoE
    Cleansing Light; 90 divinity, magnitude 400 + cleanse, AoE on target

In terms of healing strength they seem balanced with each other, the Devout has higher healing magnitudes while the Oathkeeper makes up for it with shields which effectively double the potency of the spell. However the Oathkeeper lacks an AoE cleanse, while the Devout and Soulweaver are both able to remove negative statuses from the whole group. I'd like to suggest having another look at cleansing touch with the possibility of making it AoE at a higher divinity cost, otherwise Oathkeeper heals will fall behind the other 2 options in terms of cleansing ability, which from what I've seen of the new dungeon is actually a useful skill. I think an AoE cleansing touch is a fairly reasonable ask, as that is the distinction between Oath of Protection and oath of Devotion on live for the skill; the healer paragon has the skill upgraded to AoE by default.
    I loaded my GF and GWF last night and put their tank specs through enough of the quests to complete the first campaign node. Both of these characters are far below my Paly in gear and campaign completion so I was more interested in the relative “feel” of the classes as tanks.

GF is still a porcupine tank, can attack with shield up or if getting overrun can hit tab to maximise Defence and depend on reflected damage. This feels similar to the Paly because it has a lot of “shield up” play, but the inability to attack for the Paly makes it distinct, and Tab feels very different.

GWF is the crazy tank, depending on taking damage to generate shields and going into berserker mode. It has huge and apparent problems with threat generation, but once those are sorted is by far the most unique tank.

Which then brings me back to the Paly, it’s the turtle tank still, but being a turtle makes aggro generation much harder. So I’d like to suggest a change to the vfx of the Paly shield and it’s function. While the shield is up the OP should get a “divine glow” vfx and gain a 30’ (at least) circle of effect (with vfx that follows them) that gives reduced threat to allies and increases the threat of the Paly. Holding tab then makes that a splat on the ground and locks the Paly in place and begins consuming Divinity (instead of regaining it like shift), this then should apply the party DR effect and give the Paly even more aggro and better personal DR. Duration then becomes controlled by balancing the divinity consumption of its tics.
    This would very much help to create a clear visual difference between the 3 tanks without removing the “sword and board” flavour of the Paly.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • jimmypdtjimmypdt Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Ok so this has to be done is several parts since I'm 8.4K characters over the limit for this. so sorry.

Part 1

Hello everyone and Game Devs. First off I like to thank you all for the hard work you continually put into this amazing game we love so much. I started playing back in 2013 and have really enjoyed my time playing this awesome game. There is nothing else truly like it on the market even after 6 years. I usually don’t say much (or really anything at all) when new content and changes are made (except in the last year on my streams) but in this case I hope you will be willing to read and possibly consider my thoughts, opinions, and in some cases ideas that I have. That being said, I am no game designer or developer. Everything I’ve written could be so far out to lunch that its not even funny. But I still hope that you may read and consider some of the things put forth in this write up about my favorite class in the game. Thank you and here we go.

Unfortunately I can't seem to figure out how to color code parts of the text here. So I will just BOLD the Bugs The rest of it is feedback and some ideas/opinions. Here we go.

LEVEL ONE

Before we jump to end game, I would like to start at the beginning with a level 1 Paladin. Now I have only finished the Tower District. At this point I find it long and not as enjoyable as before but that could just be me since I have leveled many characters over the years. Now I did cheat a bit by making a Dragonborn instead of one of the free races. That being said here we go.

At the start, it runs well. Damage is on the low side compared to normal but it takes about 3 to 5 hits with our at-wills to kill a minion. Encounters are a bit on the long side for cooldowns but do good damage. Dailies hit hard which is to be expected since you don’t really get to use them very often. Outside of combat the regenerate of HP is good. Not super long but not so fast that you can jump from one fight to the next right away.

The first issues start to pop up in Blacklake. There is a difficulty spike when you first get there causing you to do less damage and wanting to wait for your encounters to come off cooldowns. This slows down game play a lot and reduces the fun while at the same time increasing the boredom of just standing around waiting before killing the next small mob of enemies. Then as you are leveling, your encounter slots open up on your bar (the area where you slot your encounter powers) but you don’t have access to any new powers to put there yet. At level 7 we unlock our third encounter power “Divine Touch” but we don’t unlock our Divinity until level 10. **I before said that it doesn't work on our own character, I was wrong but it seems about 1/3 or 1/4 of the time it doesn't heal ( or if it did it was very very low amount).**

When questing in the Nashers Hideout with Private Zoey Fargo, she is able to one shot minions where it takes about 10 to 15 hits with our at-wills to kill them. At this point our cooldowns are long and that it makes this area a true pain in the HAMSTER.

Once we get to the Nashers Headquarters quest we once again see a large spike in difficulty. This once again slows down game play and the enjoyment of the game. Plus, this time we are alone and don’t have Zoey to help kill anything.

Once we are back in PE and start the Sewer quest with the nest egg things balance themselves out. So, this area seems good (other than all the bloody traps everywhere!!). Once we get to the Tower District things also run well here with the exception of the quest in the Merchant Guild Hall. There is another difficulty spike which slows everything down once again. The rest of the Tower District is good as long as you know/remember to trade in your Manyarrow insignias for the uncommon gear (I like that you can buy which piece you want now, very nice indeed).

Unfortunately, this is where I ended for now. I won’t lie, this had many slow points in it which made me not really want to continue (again this is just me and I have done the leveling process many times so I could be just bored of doing it). Hopefully I will continue so I can provide more feedback on the leveling process.
    Post edited by jimmypdt on
    edited March 2019
    Part 2

ENDGAME JUSTICAR PALADIN Feats

Now I would like to jump into the Justicar Paladin for endgame. Since I main a Protection Paladin on the live server, this one is very close to my heart. I would first like to start with Feats. The reason I want to start here is because feats are a very important part of a Character/Hero build. Mechanically, feats are meant to be all-in one options. Ultimately, feats should serve to flesh out your character’s identity. This goes for all MMO games and D&D games (pen and paper). Feats need to be impactful and meaningful. The feats you choose should affect your playstyle. But not in the way that it only affects one skill or power so you need to have that slotted. This causes players to either run with that power, (even if its not that great of a power) for that situation or they run with a different one and feel like they wasted a feat that should be meaningful to their build.

The massive change from 45 different feats to choose from down to 10 (you only get 5) makes the feat options even more important and should cover types of powers not just one of them. Example:

The First pair of feats could be about your at-wills. Depending what feat you choose will ultimately change all your at-wills. Such as,

Option A) When you hit a target with an at-will you strike fear into their hearts, reducing the damage they deal to you by 2%. Stack to a maximum of 3 times. (Gives a total of about 6% less damage against you. These number can change of course. This is all just theory/ideas).

Then you have Option B: When you hit a target with an at-will you feel a divine glow within yourself giving you strength. You deal 1% more damage with your attacks. Stack 3 times. (I went with damage on this one since paladins will still need to do dailies quests and stuff solo so they will need a damage buff unless you change the mechanic to only activate in a party. Again, all just theory)

Then your next pair can be about your encounter powers. For example:

A) Enemies struck by your encounter powers see the Divine light within you causing them to become enraged. You generate 5% more threat for 5 seconds. Does not stack.

B: Enemies struck by your encounter powers are temporally blinded (Not the status effect) by the Divine light you emit. Enemies have –1000 to Awareness and Accuracy for 5 seconds. Does not stack.

Then for the third pair could be about the dailies. And since dailies are not able to be spammed for a paladin now in MOD 16 these should be truely meaningful. Example:

A) When you activate a daily power you shine with such a brilliant and overwhelming light that you lower the defense of all enemies within 10’ of you by 5% for 12 seconds.

B: When you activate a daily power your divine light swarms within you, then bursts out all around you reflecting 25% of all damage take back to the attacker and granting you 5% of your total maximum hit points in temp HP for each enemy within 10’ of you. Stacks 5 time for a max total of 25% Temp HP. Lasts 12 seconds

Then the forth pair could be about your Divine pallisade. To be completely honest, this is a really crappy power for several reasons. One, it does not move. During fights players are running around all over the place to avoid attacks and to get combat advantage. Most players won’t be inside the area to gain the small 10% damage reduction. Two, it costs 60% of our Divinity pool. THAT’S A LOT!! Once we cast that we can only use our encounter powers that require divinity once, then we have to wait for it to recharge (which is a long time both in and out of combat). And three, the tank should be holding most aggro so the 10% for the allies is somewhat lack luster. I would recommend a change to this power to go back to the way it was with threat generation and damage reduction. But that being said here are some ideas for Pallisade.

A) When you activate Divine Pallisade you bless the ground around you forcing all enemies within 15’ to attack you for 5 seconds.

B: Yourself and all allies within the zone of the Divine Pallisade are Immune to most CC effects for the duration of the Pallisade.

Then we have our last pair of feats. I think this should be a coin toss for our two most important resources. Stamina and Divinity. The regen time on Divinity is very low even outside of combat it takes a while to recharge. So here is my idea:

A) Increase the rate at which you regenerate Divinity in combat by 10% and increase the rate at which you regenerate Divinity out of combat by 40%

B: Increase the rate at which you regenerate Stamina both inside and outside of combat by 10% and reflect 5% of damage taken back to the attacker if you are critically struck while blocking.

Now these are just a bunch of random Ideas and thoughts. Some or all of these could be so far out to lunch. I am not a games designer or developer so I have no idea if this could work. Now with feats out of the way lets talk about at-wills.
    Post edited by jimmypdt on
    Part 3

Justicar Paladin At-Wills

Our At-Wills are fairly standard. Only 2 have any added effects with a third getting one from a feat (not a good idea in my opinion). They are a little low on damage especially with the 30% damage reduction from our mechanic “oath of Protection”. But this makes sense since we are the tank and not meant to do a lot of damage. The main issue is that we CANNOT use our At-Wills when our shield is up making our at-wills almost useless. The only time we lower our shield right now is to activate an encounter power or daily. This renders at-wills pointless since we take a lot of damage without our shield up even from minions. (This is including a lot, and I mean a lot of defense, deflect, Crit resist, and awareness)

To really make use of our at-wills I would recommend that all 3 tanking classes be able to do what the GF can do and attack with our at-wills while the shield is up. They would need to change slightly compared to when our shield is down. Example:

Valorous strike and oath strike have an arc of 200*. This would need to change to single target when the shield is up. And since we are not getting a full swing in the magnitude should go down by 5. As for Shielding Strike, since it already attacks only one target just reduce the magnitude by 5 when the shield is up. For Radiant Strike, since it’s a little different for the others should turn into a shield bash and removing the range and lowering the magnitude by 5 once again for when the shield is raised (maybe even causing an effect since you are bashing the enemy with your shield).

By doing this, the paladin can contribute to the fight (in a small manner) instead of dancing around with a shield up 95% of the time doing nothing (while even generating threat to help out the party). I can tell you it is very boring to just stand around with a shield up to soak up damage since the moment you lower the shield a minion can hit you for a good 5-15% of your HP (This is with HIGH defensive stats and 330K HP and this has happened in several different zones and dungeons).

Now there does seem to be an issue with the Paladin raising their shields. It seems that when we do raise our shield, we lose the aggro on the enemies even though we have a full red bar showing that we should be top of the threat list for the enemies. This is an issue since a paladin will not be able to tank without raising our shield but when we do, we lose aggro. We won’t able to tank if that’s the case.

Justicar Paladin Encounters

Good news, not much to be said here except for the standard issues. The cooldowns are very long. This is preventing a flow to combat and a rotation. Those without cooldown drain Divinity like a bucket without a bottom trying to hold in water. Now I will say this and most people will disagree with me but the magnitude on Smite needs to come down a bit. I can one shot everything except bosses with it. I think around 1200 to 1300 might be a better spot for it.

Other than that, the only problem with encounters is the lack of diversity. By end game there are really only 4 or 5 powers to use at this point depending on if you are fighting mobs or bosses. On the note of diversity, you really don’t have much of a choice when leveling. I think the powers could be unlocked earlier to offer more choice or add in 2 or 3 more.

Justicar Paladin Dailies

Dailies in MOD 16 won’t be used as often as they are now in MOD 15. So, since you only get your daily about every 5 minutes or so (faster in combat with a boss but not by much). They should be powerful like our characters. So, let's check them out:

Divine Judgement is great just the way it is. It's what you would expect from a rare daily power (still sad that you removed the small AOE from it). All in all, an excellent power to use.

Shield of Faith is lacking. There is no way to say it. A daily that takes minutes to recharge only decreases damage by 5%??? And increases healing received by 10%??? Really?!?!? This is a daily we are taking about not an encounter power. If it's not hard hitting then it should at least have a heavy reduction. And 5% is not HEAVY. This needs a boost. If an enemy is going to deal 100K damage and you reduce it by 5% which is 5K then you are still taking 95K damage when a rare daily is activated. Strongly request a boost to this one. Plus, its duration is only 10 seconds compared to the other dailies at 12 seconds. Recommend to boost that as well.

Radiant charge is a nice new power but once again these are rare daily powers we are talking about. I would recommend a magnitude increase on this one. Really love the animation of it!! Well done.

Divine Protector... Really, really only one ally. Redirects all damage that would be dealt to the NEAREST ALLY (JUST ONE) to you. This is supposed to be a daily. That should target all allies and reduce the damage you take by 60% to 75% from this power. But then again just my opinion.

Heroism what a great soloing power to have. WHY IS IT LOCKED TILL LEVEL 80? This should be the second daily you unlock after divine judgement. That being said the numbers are a little low for a rare daily power. Maybe 1.5x or double the percentage would be good.
    Part 4

Justicar Paladin Mechanic

Block and Justicar’s Charge are standard and good but I would recommend adding in either a number or a percentage to the description of Justicar’s Charge instead of saying “a small amount”. As for Divine Pallisade, I covered that above in the feats section.

Now about Oath of Protection. I would recommend that this change slightly to allow Paladins to run the Justicar Paragon Path while leveling and doing Dailies/Campaigns. If it could be changed so that when we are running solo, we do not get penalized with the 30% damage reduction. But when we get into a party it becomes active. This would help out a lot for paladins who would like to run this solo.

Justicar Paladin Class Features

Ok, so let’s just start by saying an AURA is supposed to be always active. It is not supposed to be proc for the effect. Also, it is tied to use using our daily powers, which we only get to do every few minutes. I would recommend removing the “whenever you use a daily power” part and have it as an aura. Other than that, they look great. I see a lot of different choices depending on groups, dungeons and locations. Well done.

Oathkeeper Paladin Overview

To save time I'm just going to throw out some issues and ideas. Most of the Oathkeeper issues or problems are the same as Justicar. So here I will just give a very brief talk and overview of them.

For feats, Oathkeeper suffers from the same problem as Justicar. They are not impactful or meaningful. Feats need to be impactful and meaningful. The feats you choose should affect your playstyle. But not in the way that it only affects one skill or power so you need to have that slotted. This causes players to either run with that power, (even if its not that great of a power) for that situation or they run with a different one and feel like they wasted a feat that should be meaningful to their build. So to help with this I would recommend following what I said in the Justicar’s write up. First pair for at-wills, second for encounters, third for dailies, forth for Channel Divinity and the last pair for healing.

For at-wills, same as Justicar. But I would like to throw out an idea. The last at-will called Divine Fulmination, I would like to see that changed a bit. It could be another healing spell like Cure Wounds. I would like to see it like the Control Wizards Lighting at-will where you can place it and it shocks nearby enemies but instead have it heal allies within 10’ of it for like maybe 5K to 10K HP over 5 seconds and increase the cast time to 2 seconds. I think that would be really cool.

As for encounters just refer to Justicar Encounter section.

For dailies since they are rare and should be powerful, Divine Judgement is great. Shield of Faith needs a buff. Radiant Charge needs a buff. The last two are really nice as well. Well done.

Then the mechanic section. Only issue here is the incredible slow recharge rate on Channel Divinity. This needs a big boost. Block is standard.

Class Features once again has the issue of needing a rare daily power to activate to receive a small buff. I would recommend removing the “Whenever you use a daily power” from the auras.

Well that has been my recap for the Paladin in MOD 16. Don’t forget that I am no game designer or developer so don’t take what I said as gospel. I hope this has given you some ideas of your own and will be looking in to fixing the issues, bugs and hopefully maybe considering changing so things with power and feats.

I wish you the best,

OPTank_
    @jimmypdt you are an ally to yourself, so powers that heal allies work on you. (There are exceptions, because they need another PC, not just any ally.)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock

@jimmypdt you are an ally to yourself, so powers that heal allies work on you. (There are exceptions, because they need another PC, not just any ally.)

@obsidiancran3 Unfortunately Divine Touch does not work on myself when I tried it. Either the power is bugged or since you get the encounter at level 7 but you don't get your divinity bar until level 10 it might not trigger until then. I'll need to do more testing to figure it out. I wish you the best.
    > @jimmypdt said:
    > @jimmypdt you are an ally to yourself, so powers that heal allies work on you. (There are exceptions, because they need another PC, not just any ally.)
    >
    > @obsidiancran3 Unfortunately Divine Touch does not work on myself when I tried it. Either the power is bugged or since you get the encounter at level 7 but you don't get your divinity bar until level 10 it might not trigger until then. I'll need to do more testing to figure it out. I wish you the best.

Hmm before I swapped my OP over, it worked fine for healing the Paly I levelled to 20 or so. I will start another one tonight and see how it goes.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Some more thoughts after a weekend of testing

Divinity - it all boils down to this. I understand you want us to be careful with its usage, however careful application is one thing and being afraid to use it because you might need it later - but you wont have it, is another. We should be required to manage Divinity not to be afraid to use it. I've seen a Paladin trying to tank Epic Spider and she was left without Divinity /and helpless/ so often it makes you wanna cry for her. Im serious, it was pathetic. During my tests I actually found myself trying not to use any Divinity at all because I didnt wanna be held back by depending on an unreliable recource. This happened naturally and its not good. If the mechanic was working OK players would be intuitively using it and trying out different combinations, instead we are avoiding it. Suffice it to say, a Justicar playing without Divinity spenders is severely handicapped and underperforming. The balance between spending Divinity and regaining it needs tweaking. Also out of combat it should refill much faster /like Divine Call currently on live/

You could go many ways in providing Paladins with more Divinity but just off the top of my head here's a couple:

1) Radiant Strike - change this At Will back to a Blast and let it recover a fraction of Divinity for targets hit /capping at some number like 3 or 5 or whatever /. To avoid trivializing Divinity regain, put the recovery on Cooldown so we won't spam Radiant Strike and refill in seconds. I repeat put the D Recovery on cooldown not Radiant Strike itself, if thats too hard to code then change Radiant Strike to an At Will with charges /like TRush was changed for GWFs/.
    So, a rotation would look like this: the paladin spends some Divinity, grabs aggro, blocks the burst - gets some Divinity back, charges in with Radiant Strike - gets some Divinity back and hopefully is ready to repeat.

2) Simply increase the % Divinity we regain by blocking, thus, granted we have good aggro grabbers, we should be able to recover D just by tanking properly.

Right now the Justicar gameplay feels very stale and very passive. We spend some D, we are left waiting and hiding behind the shield in hopes of being attacked or we slot non D spenders and we underperform. This is an action game right! So lets make it all more active, D will be a key resource in m16 so having a fluid and reliable way to recover it is a must.

Auras - as somebody already stated, these passives should not require an ON button. They are Auras so they are always ON. Auras are a huge part of what a Paladin brings to a party, please dont make us less useful to our teammates.

A bit on powers and magnitudes. Burning Light can be deleted in its current form, I mean come on, the long cooldown, the charge up rooting you and leaving you defenceless, the laughable damage and the short stun. It just doesnt fit in anywhere and will be a hindrance to new paladins leveling up, potentially putting people off of the class. Smite - I see some folks here actually saying Smite deals too much damage. Amazing but not amusing. From what Ive seen on my tests every class I've tried has a 1600 Magnitude ability. Tanks however, also have a built in 30% reduction to damage - lets not forget that - thus Smite and every other ability we use are already lower than any non-tanking class. The only place an ability like Smite in its current form could be considered too strong is PVP. Im warning you people, dont give balancing suggestions with PVP in mind. PVE comes first and Smite helps Paladins during solo play, having it slotted while tanking a group content is suboptimal anyway and should be used only on single boss fights /if feated for threat generation/.

A bit of a long read I know, hopefully it can be useful

PS: Great job on Barbarians! I love my Blademaster even tho Sentinel is currently bugged and dealing more damage than him :astonished:
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
    lol, just watched my own video, and watching myself painfully getting back to 50% divinity is even worse than waiting for it in game.

Something needs to happen with this soon.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer

asterdahl said:

Thanks for the feedback! I'd highly, highly recommend swapping out bane or smite for another power when soloing, based on whether you're fighting packs of enemies in groups of 3 or less.

Taking two spenders is really not a great idea in most cases, it can be okay in some group environments, but in solo play, it can be much more beneficial to take powers like burning light or sacred weapon. The latter is quite good damage, especially in AoE situations where it hits on all applications, so you can use radiant strike (which is an AoE) and apply the flat damage of sacred weapon to all enemies in the area.

Burning Light may seem low, but it is up often and costs no divinity. For single target, once you have access, Relentless Avenger also makes a good choice. Try out a few other powers, and let me know what you think.

That being said, I do hear the feedback—people are not a fan of all the blocking, just to regain divinity. So, I will be closely examining the power choices available to Paladin, and the feats, with a focus on providing combat styles with different more varied pacing.

It's you deserving our heartfelt thanks for your presence in these threads, it gives us hope for the future of our characters :)

Getting back to feedback, I had already tried your options of switching bane with Burning Light and Sacred Weapon for AoEs and using Relentless avenger instead of Smite for single target. My considerations over these power setups follow:

- Burning Light: for almost 20s cooldown, a 200 magnitude single AoE hit with a negligible stun is too underwelming when compared to Bane. I prefer to spare those 300 divinity to get a 600 magnitude hit than to slot Burning Light.
    -
    - Sacred Weapon: half a minute of cooldown for 40 magnitude bonus to hits for 10s, which brings Radiant Strike to 38.5 magnitude hits (41.25 with Divine justice slotted). Really, are we meant to play like this? Enter combat, Sacred Weapon and then Radiant Strike, Radiant Strike, Radiant Strike...tunf..tunf...tunf..for 10 seconds to make use of the magnitude buff? All this while a DPS can shoot his encounters and see adds explode, while we are bound to kill them out of boredom? That's what I was talking about when I was referring to the worrying lack of fun gameplay with the current state of the class.

- Relentless Avenger: 11.2s CD for an 800 magnitude hit are not bad, but swapping out Smite for it makes the Paladin seem definitely more lackluster. As of now, Smite has become one of the cardinal encounters of the Paladin at least as much as it is in P&P D&D; it just feels too good to unslot, a bit like IBS for any GWF that has ever played NW. I will keep using it out of the sheer enjoyment it gives when it hits, even if that means waiting for the divinity bar to refill.

There is another matter that I don't have seen addressed anywhere else, so I beg pardon in advance if I have missed it. It concerns the tooltips of At-Wills. In particular:

Valorous Strike, Oath Strike: Range Melee, Arc: 200°
    Radiant Strike: Range 30', Radius 10'
    Shielding Strike: Range Melee, Radius 5'

If we have to consider this, VS and OS should hit all enemies in front and on the sides of the character, while SS should hit all of the ones in a 5' radius centered on the paladin. As far as I see, the only At-Will with a tooltip corresponding to its effect is RS. Do we have to expect a correction on the tooltips or an update to the At-Wills target limits?

Last consideration: it's bad when you are struggling to DPS a pull of mobs while mindlessly hitting them with SW empowered Radiant Strikes, then you see them all vanish and discover that a Barbarian behind you used his Hidden Daggers on them out of pity. That's not very enjoyable and rewarding, really. I know that one of the main target of class balance is to give the right amount of weight in endgame party content, but there can't be so much disparity in how fun it is to get there from a class to the other. The new heroic encounters give rewards just for hitting the air with encounters; a reasonable choice when DPS around you destroy them in half a second and you can't even get near enough to caress them with a Radiant Strike. I think Pally players deserve a bit more.

Hey, thanks for the feedback, and thank you for trying out my suggestions. There will be some adjustments coming to Paladin to ensure its damage is more spread out across its powers. That said, I wouldn't recommend swapping out Smite for Relentless Avenger necessarily, I was suggesting it as a supplement to Smite for more single target damage.

In regards to at-wills, there's some goofy tool tipping going on there, melee attacks are a bit weird, where they show an area even though they only hit one target, they're showing the hitbox they use, because they're technically powers that can be executed without a target. That being said, we're planning to hide this information for single target at-wills, because in reality it's not necessary (as long as you attack with in range, you automatically position your character so that the hitbox connects.) I apologize that this information is misleading, and hope to have a change in soon.

When I change to Heal spec I cannot activate Bane, it only shows the targeting area when I hit alt or enter, and the Bane icon remains trapped on my mouse until I log out to the change character screen an back in.

Thanks for the report!

if you persist with these changes then the very least you could do is give us a class reroll which reflects the level we are currently at and the choice of an exchange of gear at existing item levels. I play and enjoy playing a power share OP tank and from what I have seen on videos the tank is no longer a tank.

I have watched dungeon footage of the mod 16 tank and I no longer want to be that class, it fails at tanking miserably. I have spent a great deal of time and substantial amounts of real life money on getting my OP to where I wanted them which you have in one fell swoop negated. As I said at the start of my post please give class reroll and I do not mean a new class slot.

Edited to add:-I feel about this so strongly that I joined this forum after playing, with short breaks for years. The recent Devs video said that you were taking feedback. Please take this feedback, You had a happy content customer, who recognises the need for well thought out and implemented change; who recognises and applauds the scope of the huge content drop in Mod 16; but who abhors these game play changes. You have left me as a disgruntled customer.

Granting a class reroll requires admitting that sweeping changes might alienate many customers. Given the answers that we have received, alienating customers was probably an objective of Mod 16, rather than a sad side-effect. There is no simpler explanation for what we see. Take note that with the introduction of huge amounts of new gear, the increase of level cap and the destruction of so much effort that has gone into characters, it will be the case that 1-week newbies and 5-year veterans will be close in power. That was demonstrated a few posts before, where someone found that a 11k IL Fighter has a better experience soloing Dread Ring than a 19k IL Paladin. So, this is a complete reset, in an effort to entice new customers to join the game. Making old players exit the game is a necessary price to pay. The sooner we all realise this reality, the better our chances of coming to terms with the changes.

The alternative explanation offered by the dev team, that they have been thinking and designing this "for a long time", doesn't hold up against the crude simplicity of the changes proposed. It doesn't require years of careful thinking to introduce a 30% dmg reduction class mechanic, it takes a few sloppy minutes.
    Hello, thanks for taking the time to post! I apologize that you've not been enjoying the changes, and that you've been running into problems, like the issue you are describing in Dread Ring. A 19k Paladin having a harder time than an 11k Fighter is absolutely not intended, 100% a bug, and will absolutely be fixed ahead of launch. I apologize for the inconvenience.

While you might not be happy with the changes, I can assure you that we did not make any changes with the specific goal of alienating customers. As I've mentioned in a few other posts, we certainly new such dramatic changes wouldn't be well received by everyone, however, I think there are quite a few players, who—setting aside the bugs, are excited about the changes and the possibility of new, challenging content, and opportunities to play roles that have historically not had a place in the game.

And finally, in regards to the 30% reduction to tank damage, as I've stated previously, that percentage will be adjusted or removed as we hone in on the final values for all classes. In reality it would be much sloppier to bake the reduced damage into the magnitudes of every power or the class weapon damage (or a hidden power that altered the class's damage, which many classes were affected by pre mod16), before all of the classes are as close as they need to be. It would have been sloppier to make the adjustment there, because there are more moving parts, more opportunities for problems to occur, and making adjustments based on feedback would take more time, and be slower as a result. I understand that the psychology of seeing a 30% reduction to damage on a single power is pretty powerful, but it would have been irresponsible to take another approach just to reduce the frequency of feedback on that topic during preview.

I hope you continue to check back on preview as more changes role in, we appreciate your time.

Divine Pallisade feels more like an Encounter or Daily power to me rather than a Tab ability. I think one of the problems is that since we are moving away from heavy buffing it had to be made a fairly week defensive buff. It also has a high Divinity cost that makes it feel like an all-or-nothing choice to some. Here's a suggestion for a Tab ability that can be tapped to grab a little AoE threat or maintained for more threat and a little control.

JUSTICIAR TAB POWER SUGGESTION:
    Protection From Evil: Ticks every 0.5 seconds, costing 100 Divinity per tick. Affects foes in a 20' radius, but each tick the area of effect grows by 5'. Deals minor damage to each target, but magnitude increases per tick. Generates increased threat. Pushes enemies back on each tick. If you maintain the power for a full 5 seconds affected foes are knocked prone and you are snapped to the top of their threat tables. This ability slows but does not root the Paladin.

Eternal Protector Feat: If you fully maintain your Protection From Evil, there is a chance that your Divinity will be instantly re-filled.

Of course, in most of D&D's history Protection From Evil keeps enemies from approaching and boosts defenses. (It's actually quite different in 5e.) But again, we are moving away from heavy buffing and my experience from decades of D&D has been that Protection From Evil was most often used as a control power to push enemies around.

I acknowledge that by posting this here, the content of this post becomes the intellectual property of Cryptic and/or its parent company PWE to be used or not, in part or in full however they see fit.

Hey Silvergyph! Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the thought you put into your suggestion, and I'll definitely consider it when making adjustments to Justicar's class mechanic. I mentioned it in a few other posts, but I realize it's got some issues right now, so I'm going to take a close look at what we can do.
    asterdahl said:

Thanks for the report!
    Just an update, this bug only applies to my toon Obsidian Moonlight, my other Paly (Obsidian Justice, in the video above) is unaffected.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock