test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crafting Wish List

bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
First, let me say that, overall, I absolutely love the new crafting system. It's much more challenging than the old system, and takes a bit of getting used to, but I find it much more immersive in many ways. My favorite aspect is that the lists of ingredients for making things actually look like things one would need to actually make those items; material costs and build times sometimes seem a bit off, but that's where game balance has to override verisimilitude. My second favorite is that top-of-the-line crafted items are actually better than some of the best gear available as drops or prizes -- each of my characters now actually has at least two Adamantine (or equivalent) armor items.

Even so, there are a few things that I'd still like to see added. I can see why they might not be, so on the whole I'm not going to complain if they don't eventually appear, but not appearing is virtually guaranteed if I don't say anything.

I list them here in more or less the order of importance for my own use:

Two-slot Companion-usable gear. Even if this was limited to the very top level, I'd like to have some way (at least, something easier than repeatedly running Illusionist's Gambit) of getting the Neck, Waist, Sword Knot, and other things that my Companions need to have two gems in a non-Ring item.

Overload Slot items. Even under the old system, I was disappointed that one couldn't make these, other than the Black Ice versions (which we now have to travel to Caer Konig to make). Maybe these recipes could be purchasable for our Jewelers and/or Artificers: buy Black Ice Overload recipes from Baerick, Stronghold recipes at a Level 10 Marketplace, Dragon Glyph recipes in the Well of Dragons, etc. This could even lead to adding recipes for the Dread Ring, Chult, Barovia, etc.

Transmutes. Not so much the "free transmute" items, as just the ability to use existing crafted items as transmutes, with or without the cost. I've tried, and it doesn't work. Of those I list here, this is the only one I really can't see as "too hard to implement" or "too little benefit for the work involved."

Upgrading. Get a regular item when you wanted the +1 version? Maybe some way could be devised to upgrade it without the time and expense, and with reduced risk of failure, of trying again from scratch. (For that matter, if we can have +1 items, maybe someday we could get +2 through +5. Someday. Maybe. It might even be tied to the two-slot gear I mention above.)

Individual color dyes. Some of these can be bought from the Tarmalune Trade Bar store, but there are still some colors missing; and why not just make all colors available, though with some involvement of time and effort? The problem I see here is it probably would take a lot of work to create (light, medium, and dark versions of all the primary colors, secondary colors, and grey, plus black and white, for a total of 23 recipes; more if one adds Brown and Teal as shades), though by making one recipe with that many variations could be a solution.

Fashion items. It would make sense that one's Tailors (and Leatherworkers, and even Jewelers) would be able to make these. Naturally one would have to buy the recipes from the appropriate merchants (in the same way that one buys Chultan recipes), but with enough variation it could be a fun thing.

Thanks again, all Devs, for this nice upgrade to the game!
=====
Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels

Comments

• isaacorion#1994 isaacorion Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    The funny thing is that all of the crafted gear at the Lvl 70 craft or MC 1 beats IG Gear stat wise.
    Electrum necklace from MC with only 1 Enchant slot out-stats +5 IG Gear with its 2 slots (even assuming R14 3 slot enchant).
    For offhand equipment, the lvl 70 stuff (Oak Icon, Gold Talisman) beat the IG +5 equivalents in stats again.
    Only thing I haven't stat-checked is Belt slot, but that might be sabotaged since Belts always have DEF slots and the IG belts can have 2 OFF slots.
    Warlock: Don't want to let you down but I am hell bound. - Imagine Dragons
    Cleric: You can be an angel of mercy or give in to hate. - Shinedown
    Wizard: The more the dark consumes me, I pretend I'm burning bright. - Shinedown
    Barbarian: Am I beautiful... as I tear you to pieces? - In This Moment
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User

First, let me say that, overall, I absolutely love the new crafting system. It's much more challenging than the old system, and takes a bit of getting used to, but I find it much more immersive in many ways. My favorite aspect is that the lists of ingredients for making things actually look like things one would need to actually make those items; material costs and build times sometimes seem a bit off, but that's where game balance has to override verisimilitude. My second favorite is that top-of-the-line crafted items are actually better than some of the best gear available as drops or prizes -- each of my characters now actually has at least two Adamantine (or equivalent) armor items.

-snip-

Thanks again, all Devs, for this nice upgrade to the game!

I'm really glad to see there are some players who actually enjoy (and appreciate) the professions changes, I don't happen to be one of them as I started playing Neverwinter to be an adventurer not a merchant and the time it takes to get the professions built up to where they are worth engaging in seriously takes away from time I would rather be out on quests and campaigns...

I might even venture to guess that a lot of the people who are enjoying the professions changes are players who have become bored with the game's quests and campaigns (with the possible exception of farming,) and look upon professions as a desired challenge as opposed to the actual storyline of Neverwinter quests and campaigns.

Perhaps if I should some day become bored with the games usual content I too will find diversion in doing professions, but I'm not there yet.
    DD~
  • bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User

The funny thing is that all of the crafted gear at the Lvl 70 craft or MC 1 beats IG Gear stat wise.
    Electrum necklace from MC with only 1 Enchant slot out-stats +5 IG Gear with its 2 slots (even assuming R14 3 slot enchant).
    For offhand equipment, the lvl 70 stuff (Oak Icon, Gold Talisman) beat the IG +5 equivalents in stats again.
    Only thing I haven't stat-checked is Belt slot, but that might be sabotaged since Belts always have DEF slots and the IG belts can have 2 OFF slots.

That's something I hadn't considered. I may go that route (and convert the freed-up gems) unless I can find some regular gear that still works better.

Still, we can craft two-slot rings, as well as buy them from multiple sources.
    =====
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Thank you for your detailed feedback @bobgreenwade!
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    @nitocris83 is it WAI or an error that the blue crafted waists unlike the necks have no slots ? They're still decent for characters with lowish grade gems as the alternative, but seems odd they don't match the necks.
    A few other things come to mind:

More worker slots. There's lots of room upstairs -- plenty for as many as six workers without bumping into each other. I was slightly surprised that we didn't get +1 project slot per Workshop level; it just seems logical. (I don't expect to ever want more than that, nor do I think more Gathering slots are really called for.)

Sell stuff for gold. It would be a great thing if I could turn finished items over to my Retainer to sell for gold. If this came in as a VIP-only feature, that'd be OK; it's just a pain to have to summon a merchant (in my case, the VIP Seals Merchant) or go elsewhere to do this.

Mailbox. This isn't a super-important thing, but it does seem logical that one should be able to receive mail, including mailed items (packages), in the office.
    =====
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    1) If the crafted gear can not be used to change the appearance of other gear then that should be fixed.

Just no reason why this gear shouldn't be able to be used just for the looks.

2) Fill in the gaps - There are some classes that do not have craftable gear available at certain levels. I can not recall exactly right now, and am not in the game to look, but there is a point where an armorer, for example, can make shirts and pants for GWFs but not for Clerics, GFs, or Paladins if memory serves.

This simply should not be. Every class should have at least one craftable item at every point where some other class does.

A Wizard can get an item level 240 hat made? Then every class should have item level 240 headgear available in whatever appropriate craft.
    A Cleric can craft an item level 400 icon? Then every class should have an item level 400 off-hand item available to craft.

3) And while you're at it, add more, different items to the recipes - They can be different in appearance but the same stats as existing items, but better still if they have different stats.

That sword that has + whatever power and + whatever crit is all well and good, but what if someone wants more armor penetration and recovery? Maybe they want +movement. Whatever. More items that have alternative stats would be a good thing.

Also? This could bring in a wider variety of weapons for classes. Maces, hammers, axes... When you fix the issue with crafted items not being able to be used to change appearances this will not be an issue. If someone wants their paladin to use an axe but likes the stats of that knightly sword then they can craft both and change appearances.

This also boosts the use of crafting in general, albeit perhaps only slightly. I mean, there will potentially be people looking for items of the same item level that go into the same slot just to get the stats of one and the appearance of the other.

• bigmommabird#7542 bigmommabird Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Crafting Glitches - Fixes needed!

Blackiron Rings For some odd reason, blackiron rings are not available from the retainer using the "Buy New Materials" option. This appears to be an oversight, since rings of other metals are available.

Bind on Pickup Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but is there an actual reason why some L70 gear is BOP? I would love to be able to craft a swordknot for an alt, for example.

Crafted Belts Okay, not really a glitch, but a wish. While most crafted gear has an enchantment slot, at least at higher levels, the belts do not. Okay, not a glitch, but it greatly reduces the value of the crafted belts compared to looted ones, and reduces their usability compared to other crafted items. While I would love to see two enchantment slots on L70 +1 gear, I think that adding one to the belts is higher priority.

Customization Another wish for the wish list. I wish that dyes could be crafted - and with a wider color range than those otherwise available. Also, I wish that every part of the gear could receive dye.

Guess that's enough for now. Thanks for giving us an opportunity to make suggestions!

• feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    How about mastercrafting leveling quests that actually accept +1items and aren't absurdly broken because no one bothered to test this system before launch?
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited December 2018

@nitocris83 is it WAI or an error that the blue crafted waists unlike the necks have no slots ? They're still decent for characters with lowish grade gems as the alternative, but seems odd they don't match the necks.

Would be nice if Belts were given one enchantment slot for sure, even if it was strickly DEFENSE as several of the Neck's have the single OFFENSE. This is very similar then to Artifact Cloaks that unlock an OFFENSE, or the Artifact Belts that unlock a DEFENSE today. :+1:

More worker slots. There's lots of room upstairs -- plenty for as many as six workers without bumping into each other. I was slightly surprised that we didn't get +1 project slot per Workshop level; it just seems logical. (I don't expect to ever want more than that, nor do I think more Gathering slots are really called for.)

Sell stuff for gold. It would be a great thing if I could turn finished items over to my Retainer to sell for gold. If this came in as a VIP-only feature, that'd be OK; it's just a pain to have to summon a merchant (in my case, the VIP Seals Merchant) or go elsewhere to do this.

Mailbox. This isn't a super-important thing, but it does seem logical that one should be able to receive mail, including mailed items (packages), in the office.

I greatly enjoyed 'reading' your original post however, and like you since PREVIEW have greatly enjoyed the new crafting system.

I mean it was also great to see while at a Merchant, they added a 'Sell all Treasure' tab on GEAR icon--if only just a slight bit more Treasure dropped.

Perhaps I just miss my Elven Bread that I haven't seen for 1-2+ years perhaps? I mean my elves still love their Sweet Berries, but it would be nice to see a few more treasures slowly added. About 95% of the stuff sold today is gear, which requires a lot of single clicking, so hopefully a few more new treasures, or some returning older ones will appear. :)
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    Other features that would be nice.

A rejects box: You have 18 or 24 or however many spaces in your box for completed projects. Why are you keeping failures ? they would be thrown away, an additional section of unlimited size where you can see your failures, but you can still get a box full of successes would be good.

In life you often learn from your failures (sometimes more than from your successes), in XP you don't.

Example: I want to craft overnight 6 of an item that uses 1 of a given resource. I have 3 normal and 4 +1 of that resource, the ability to craft 6 and move on to the other quality when my chosen one runs out would be handy.

I have a crafter with miracle worker. I set it going with 7 tasks overnight. The first 3 insta-complete. Now I have to cancel the task swallowing the gold cost if I want to keep the crafter going all night. Being able to say "I want to craft for 12 hours" or "start tasks up to 10 hours from now" rather than going fully unlimited and having to cancel a task would be nice.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    Another thing that would be nice is if the developers prevented failures from checking to see if they would have been high quality results. From a player perspective, it's just adding insult to injury. From a developer perspective, you're spending time executing a branch of code that doesn't need to be executed and adding load to the server by doing this. From the perspective of someone who actually does write code for a living, this is just more lazy and/or incompetent coding.
  • Can you guys please bring back the "Distilled Potion of Exalted Healing" potion recipe?

It vanished from all of my alchemist's recipe lists after the professions update. I thought perhaps it had been moved to master crafting since other "Exalted" potions such as Accuracy and Fortitude are there and so didn't ask about it.... Till now. Once I unlocked MC Alchemy on my main, I discovered the recipe for Distilled Exalted Healing potions were not there either. Can anyone tell me what happened to that recipe? Is it a bug and I need to report it as such? Or was it removed by accident or by design from everyone's potion list?

Thank you.
    @kreatyve We got some necromancy here to start your monday off right!
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

This one is still relevant enough that we are going to let it slide.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    It would be nice if Begum's daily list was posted in the workshop instead of having to constantly run to her to see what she wants.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    greywynd said:

It would be nice if Begum's daily list was posted in the workshop instead of having to constantly run to her to see what she wants.

I write it down on a computer form I made. When the pasges ar filled up, I just print more.
    kreatyve said:

This one is still relevant enough that we are going to let it slide.
    Thank you! It's much easier to do things this way, at least in this sort of discussion.

I've recently noticed two things missing from the list of items we can craft.

One is the Haste boosts for crafting itself. We can make things to boost Proficiency and Focus, but not these Speed items, though they do sometimes come randomly (via Lockboxes).

The other is the old Crate of Astral Diamonds, good for donating to the Astral Diamonds tab in the Stronghold without necessarily spending actual Astral Diamonds to do so.

If there are other ways of doing these, I don't know what they are.
    =====
  • celthil#8842 celthil Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Crate of astral diamonds is in gathering under all tab and for some reason uses a crossbow. Maybe our artisan is out robbing people for the astral diamonds? You'd think the pick would be the tool of choice for gathering diamonds.

On a different note they need to make a use for legendary gathering tools since they become pretty much useless(except for the crossbow) when you start needing maps for materials.

Crate of Astral Diamonds

Gathering. Level 70. Not everything is done via the crafting table, you know.

Crate of astral diamonds is in gathering under all tab and for some reason uses a crossbow. Maybe our artisan is out robbing people for the astral diamonds? You'd think the pick would be the tool of choice for gathering diamonds.

Aha! I didn't think to look under the All tab after not finding it under any of the others (though I probably should have thought to use Search; that's how I found Sword Coast Tea Leaves).

=====
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

I've already suggested 5 crafting slots and 4 Gathering slots in 'Changed needed for Professions.'
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    My list is pretty simple:

1) Fully integrate +1 items the way they were supposed to be and stop lying to the players that the current complete mess is "working as intended for now."

2) Make mastercrafted supplements worth making. Right now they're ridiculously overpriced in terms of materials needed for the puny advantages they offer over non-MW supplements.

3) Reduce gold consumption by 75% by a combination of lower commissions and higher sale values for raw materials and crafted items.

4) The delivery box should only apply to crafted items. Raw materials and precursor items (ingots, whetstones and such) shouldn't have anything to do with it. There's a retainer in the shop who's perfectly capable of dealing with such items.

5) Fix the bugs that allow hiring an artisan other than the one offered to the player, crafting +1 items with a 0% chance (though, of course, that should be a bonus....) and failures with 100% success chance.

6) Put a campfire in the workshop.