test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This is an overwhelmingly Dragonborn world

Is there anyone else that feels this way? It would be nice if we could have the Dragonborn bonus while having other race appearances. Can we make this happen? (maybe similar to how mounts work).

Comments

• majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    How is that any different from the multitude of drow, half-orcs, tieflings, halflings, and the "damn dirty Humans" running around the game? Yeah the bonus is great but those folks paid that bonus iirc. You want the bonus, you have to buy it and get to look like a lizard man to use it.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • bloodshotbeastbloodshotbeast Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    That was fine until 90% of the end game population ended up dragonborn. The variety would be refreshing.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    No.

Lizard is the only race with defined strengths (best racial bonuses) and a defined weakness (looking real ugly).

Why should we take away the only weakness?

• kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

Is there anyone else that feels this way? It would be nice if we could have the Dragonborn bonus while having other race appearances. Can we make this happen? (maybe similar to how mounts work).

I posted about this a week or two ago. Basically Dragonborn is BiS, on every class. So any player who wants to be BiS, or top tier in general, will opt for Dragonborn.

Drow Rogues, Half Orc GWFs or Wood Elf HRs all play 2nd or 3rd fiddle to the dragonborn. I'm not a fan of that meta - but clearly Cryptic is.

At the very least - the other 'premium races' like Menzo Drow and Moon Elf should have similar enhanced racial bonuses (they don't).
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    Yeah, I have the Zen to buy into Dragonborn but... I just can't buy into the character. For me, I have to relate to my toon, I guess as I started as an actual pen and paper D&D player, I just think this way. I create back stories, etc. Dragonborn, IMHO, is just a fake race (well, OK, its all fake but at least the others are based on folklore).
  • kythelion#3210 kythelion Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    I am not and will never be an ugly HAMSTER lizard.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Dragonborn isn’t BiS in every class - it’s agruable that they’re BiS in any class really. They’re a good race, and will generally perform well, but other races will do better depending on the class and build. I suggest checking out some class guilds from people that know what their doing before making such a blanket statement.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I am confident that a good player, if given a Half-Orc wizard or a Tiefling ranger or whatever "incompatible" race/class combo that you want to list would manage to do just fine running whatever content is out there.

Just because a bunch of people feel the need to grab every advantage that they can get doesn't mean that those advantages are necessary.

I won't argue that a C-Store exclusive race being "perfect" for every class is a good thing for the game, but I imagine that Dragonborn have paid more bills than Menzoberranzen Renegades and Moon Elves combined.

If you do not want to play as a Dragonborn then grow a spine and play what you want.

What's the worst that can happen? Some elitists won't let you joint heir dungeon run? So what?

Start your own group, but just make sure that you do not become elitist yourself.
    When that Half-Orc wizard answers the call give them a chance to prove themselves.
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User

I am confident that a good player, if given a Half-Orc wizard or a Tiefling ranger or whatever "incompatible" race/class combo that you want to list would manage to do just fine running whatever content is out there.

Just because a bunch of people feel the need to grab every advantage that they can get doesn't mean that those advantages are necessary.

I won't argue that a C-Store exclusive race being "perfect" for every class is a good thing for the game, but I imagine that Dragonborn have paid more bills than Menzoberranzen Renegades and Moon Elves combined.

If you do not want to play as a Dragonborn then grow a spine and play what you want.

What's the worst that can happen? Some elitists won't let you joint heir dungeon run? So what?

Start your own group, but just make sure that you do not become elitist yourself.
    When that Half-Orc wizard answers the call give them a chance to prove themselves.

I run a Dwarf as my main because... its a freak'n dwarfs and they are awesome! The boon really is not that great. Running a halfling ranger female because... its just kinda funny with that big bow and her cute little double bun. So if you see Rann Underground or Squirrel Tree-rat running around, say "Hi".
  • nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    Meh. I'm fine with my half-orc.
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Yes and no. I see there is a lot of the left over Gorn from Star Trek... uhm, Dragonborn in the game. They were originally introduced after 2006. This race I never got into, my husband and I played P&P back in 1987 to 1996 era. The first trans-species race in D&D. They are composed members of other humanoid races who, willingly took on physical traits of dragons into their biology. I don't play them in this game either, I am just out of touch with the whole concept of how they should be played. Most of my characters are human, 4 out of 8, because I relate to humans. Dirk is half human and elf, Silvane a wood elf, Goro a drow, and Llorna a tiefling. Tiefling was a bit of a stretch for me because they came out late in my gaming experience.

As for the next question, no. The racial bonuses are seldom that big of a deal in this game. There is already too many balance issues in this game and toss more into the mix is just asking for trouble.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

No.

Lizard is the only race with defined strengths (best racial bonuses) and a defined weakness (looking real ugly).

Why should we take away the only weakness?

Hard to believe the Dragonborn have no quality Plastic Surgeons

or

(permanent) cosmetic magic

• heavensake#5599 heavensake Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Maybe there should only be allowed 1 dragon born per party that should solve everything. =). Really i don't get the lore behind dragon born in D&D. I was way more into Dragonlance and what they had was Draconians hatched from the eggs of good dragons using dark magic to do so. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragonlance_creatures#Draconians
  • hypergorila2hypergorila2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    What about the streaks of companion Tigers? :o