test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Removed from Queue (+penalty) after a connection loss

almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
Hello everyone,

Need some help understanding this, please (@kreatyve @nitocris83 ).
Recently (today), I discovered that if you get a disconnect and don't login back in 1 minute (?), you get automaticly removed from the queue and get 30 minutes penalty. I am sure it was from the server side as I was among friends and they confirmed that my removal was not through the vote kick.

I checked the patch notes and I can't find this peculiar case of queue removal anywhere. When was this added? Is this intended? How long exactly I have to come back to the game before being awarded with 30 min queue penalty?

Sometimes my internet goes down, between 1-3 minutes. I'm always back to the game after 5 minutes. I could not even attempt to rejoin my friends, this is preposterous (apologies, I could not find a better word to describe this).

Thank you and have fun!

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    It shouldn't be 1 minute, it should be 5 minutes I think? I'll forward the thread and see if they can take a look into what's going on.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Did the instance get completed before you logged back in? I think I've heard that could cause it.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    Thanks Alu.
    It didn't Pit, we were on the first boss when this happened.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    If it's a public queue, I believe you're supposed to come back within 5 minutes. How long did you take to get back?
    This limitation doesn't apply to private queues.
    FrozenFire
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    There is no leaver penalty at all in Private Queues so that shouldn't be an issue.

The only other idea I have at all, would be if someone logs to another character while the first is in an active public instance, that would trigger the penalty as well. Otherwise this sounds like a bug.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Escalated this case. Has anyone heard/seen it happen to other players? Helps if we can narrow down the scope :)
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    I don't understand why there is a leaver penalty applied when you are not in a random queue. If I'm playing something selected from the Epic Dungeon section, I should be able to leave without a penalty. Right now, all the public queues are penalized and I don't understand why that applies to all and not just random queues.
  • chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited September 2018

I don't understand why there is a leaver penalty applied when you are not in a random queue. If I'm playing something selected from the Epic Dungeon section, I should be able to leave without a penalty. Right now, all the public queues are penalized and I don't understand why that applies to all and not just random queues.

Probably because when a player abandons their party, whether it be public or random, standard or epic, it imposes a bit of a hardship on the rest of the party members so a penalty is considered warranted in the case of a player just deciding to quit, during a run.

Just recently I had a "blue screen" disconnect for something related to Kbdclass and my computer shut down and rebooted during a run. I didn't intentionally abandon the other people in the party but still received a leaver penalty which locked my account up... admittedly it was a little frustrating since I didn't actually "leave" by choice, but personally I would prefer to occasionally have to suffer through something like that then have to put up with the way it was, people just deciding to quit and abandon the rest of the party without consequence.
  • svendahlsvendahl Member Posts: 49 Arc User

I totally disagree. Just because you select an instance doesn't mean that you won't be queue with those that are pug-ing a random. They aren't different instances. I'm still waiting for the kick system to be fixed so we can kick bots, AFK's, and DC's earlier and in some cases (Illusionist Gambit, Portabello's) to be able to kick people at all. Non-participation is a form of harassment in my book.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    chidion said:

Probably because when a player abandons their party, whether it be public or random, standard or epic, it imposes a bit of a hardship on the rest of the party members so a penalty is considered warranted in the case of a player just deciding to quit, during a run.

The problem is that if you get stuck with someone being a HAMSTER, then there's not much you can do about it. For example, I and my wife got stuck in a CN with someone who decided I was a terrible tank and just wanted to argue about how awesome he was as a tank on a different character (he was playing an 8700 IL GWF). While we were waiting for reinforcements, I initiated a vote kick. The fourth person in the group voted "no". He then initiated a vote kick against me. My wife voted "no" (and the fourth person could have voted either way). So we were in a stalemate and no one would leave because of the penalty. We did finally get a fifth person and a vote kick was finally initiated after another 10 minutes or so, all the while four of us are waiting to fight Orcus and he's standing in the campfire issuing a non-stop stream of vitriol against me. (He was kicked.) This all ate up twenty minutes and I would have left had I known it would be that long, even in spite of the penalty
    svendahl said:

I totally disagree. Just because you select an instance doesn't mean that you won't be queue with those that are pug-ing a random. They aren't different instances. I'm still waiting for the kick system to be fixed so we can kick bots, AFK's, and DC's earlier and in some cases (Illusionist Gambit, Portabello's) to be able to kick people at all. Non-participation is a form of harassment in my book.

I didn't realize they aren't different systems. They should either separate them or remove the penalty for people who are not joining through the random queues. If you're not joining through the random queues, then you're selecting stuff that you are pretty confident you can complete with whoever the game puts with you. So when things go wrong, as described above, people should be free to leave and put an end to the situation.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

I didn't realize they aren't different systems. They should either separate them or remove the penalty for people who are not joining through the random queues. If you're not joining through the random queues, then you're selecting stuff that you are pretty confident you can complete with whoever the game puts with you. So when things go wrong, as described above, people should be free to leave and put an end to the situation.

One of the major points of the Random queue was to fill parties for people manually queuing for unpopular content. So no, they're not going to separate out randoms.

And no, you should not be totally free to drop out and requeue if you don't like the party you're given in the public queue. It's a public queue.
    edited September 2018

chidion said:

The problem is that if you get stuck with someone being a HAMSTER, then there's not much you can do about it. For example, I and my wife got stuck in a CN with someone who decided I was a terrible tank and just wanted to argue about how awesome he was as a tank on a different character (he was playing an 8700 IL GWF). While we were waiting for reinforcements, I initiated a vote kick. The fourth person in the group voted "no". He then initiated a vote kick against me. My wife voted "no" (and the fourth person could have voted either way). So we were in a stalemate and no one would leave because of the penalty. We did finally get a fifth person and a vote kick was finally initiated after another 10 minutes or so, all the while four of us are waiting to fight Orcus and he's standing in the campfire issuing a non-stop stream of vitriol against me. (He was kicked.) This all ate up twenty minutes and I would have left had I known it would be that long, even in spite of the penalty

Welcome to life...

You can walk out of the front door of your house and get stuck with someone being a HAMSTER. As you say there's not much you can do about it.

"Greetings Professor... Strange game, the only winning move is not to play... how about a nice game of tic-tac-toe?"

I'm no WOPR but any time players are thrown together with other players - or people with other people, everyone has to be a little adaptable. Some players will try to do or say ("ignore" works in random content chat too by the way) lots of things to get under the skin of other players, the trick as I see it is to not give them the satisfaction.

My philosophy is to play the game in a manner of my choosing and if anyone doesn't like it, so long as I'm not doing anything illegal or improper, that's their problem - not mine.

Inversely if another player is playing in a manner I disagree with, so long as they aren't doing anything illegal or improper, that's my problem - I will deal with it or ignore it as I choose.

Actions always have consequences... If a person chooses to abandoned their party and other players the penalty should always apply. If a player doesn't want to suffer the consequences of a "leaver's penalty" they will stay - if a player considers the offense worse than "leaver's penalty" they will bail.

Either way it's player's choice.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    chidion said:

"Greetings Professor... Strange game, the only winning move is not to play... how about a nice game of tic-tac-toe?"
    Aside: the quote is "a nice game of chess", not tic-tac-toe.... because tic-tac-toe, like nuclear war, is not a winnable game.
    edited September 2018
    lowjohn said:

chidion said:

Aside: the quote is "a nice game of chess", not tic-tac-toe.... because tic-tac-toe, like nuclear war, is not a winnable game.
    I stand corrected... :3