test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing with DPS GF

fightdawalrus#5058 fightdawalrus Member Posts: 114 Arc User
I run T9G A lot and have a pretty solid group with 20 minute runs on average but the dps in my group is a SW and GWF. However, if I have to pick up a random sometimes for dps and get a gf, I feel off. I know its hard to keep or get aggro since thwy have a hard taunt but what im asking is how do some of you play effectively with a dps gf and keep em from dying?

Comments

• ase#2329 ase Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Why would you even want to tank when you have a GF in your group in TG ?
    I mean.... just go devo and bane his HAMSTER, you'll be a lot more usefull to the party.
  • fightdawalrus#5058 fightdawalrus Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I don't have a Devo loadout and never planned on making one. I guess I shall see about it
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Would have thought everyone would have jumped at the chance to make a loadout with the other paragon path if they weren't going to use it for PvP. Definately a plus if the role you normally play was not the role bonus granted in the ERQ.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac

I don't have a Devo loadout and never planned on making one. I guess I shall see about it

Well, I have to tell you that going devo in tong is the way to go ;)
    And that is from a guy that always has been protect before :)
    > @ase#2329 said:
    > I don't have a Devo loadout and never planned on making one. I guess I shall see about it
    >
    > Well, I have to tell you that going devo in tong is the way to go ;)
    > And that is from a guy that always has been protect before :)

Well, I made a Devo loadout today but still a bit rusty with learning what does what. Its still weird to me
    edited March 2018

> @ase#2329 said:

> I don't have a Devo loadout and never planned on making one. I guess I shall see about it

>

> Well, I have to tell you that going devo in tong is the way to go ;)

> And that is from a guy that always has been protect before :)

Well, I made a Devo loadout today but still a bit rusty with learning what does what. Its still weird to me

Vow and Bond. Everything else is situational. ;)
    ~Shia~

Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

You can never outaggro a GF using Knight's Challenge, and redirecting boss attacks nerfs their DPS. The best you can do is to support them with Healadin and place Bane on them so they rekt the boss faster.

If they die, you point and laugh while they're down.

If they can't tank for their life's worth, you should humiliate them.
    Loudly, and publicly, for failing at DPS GF.

I kinda feel bad for Zeff considering that a mere whiff of Orcus' farts could kill him before.
    edited March 2018

Vow and Bond, and of course Bane.
    You cast bane on the main DPS, and with some practice, during boss fights, you cast bane on the main dps and on the boss :)
    I know devo is really different from protection, but you'll see how people will love you in tong ;)
    ase#2329 said:

Vow and Bond, and of course Bane.
    You cast bane on the main DPS, and with some practice, during boss fights, you cast bane on the main dps and on the boss :)
    I know devo is really different from protection, but you'll see how people will love you in tong ;)
    I'd agree with including bane but thats still somewhat situational. I keep Bane slotted throughout ToNG and as I run those (for the most part) with premades and friends. When pugging via the ERQ and the dungeon that pops up is a T2 and below I run it on the bosses. If the DPS isn't strong throughout, its RA for bosses and either smite or burning light for everything else, but thats just my opinion.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • danpio1217#3410 danpio1217 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    IMO, OP can do whatever, switch to Devo or just stay Protection and have the GF stand next to you.

Playing with a DPS GF is really up to the cleric to keep him up. If the GF is dying a lot, the cleric is probably mindlessly going through rotations not paying attention to what's actually happening in the fight.

The GF is going to get the dot burn every time Ras Nsi cleave's, so the DC has to be ready after every single chop w/ a manual heal (DG, HW, BoH) to cleanse. In my experience Astral Seal catches a lot of them, but not all of them.
    Appreciate all the comments.

Quick question, im messing around with Devo now but wondering how tanking comes into or are you not tanking and just healing? Without the temp hp
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Appreciate all the comments.

Quick question, im messing around with Devo now but wondering how tanking comes into or are you not tanking and just healing? Without the temp hp

You don't tank, you make the DPS GF do it.

Those whiney sods have 2x DCs and a Healadin to support their candy ***.
    They can live with having to learn how to tank.

Your duties as Afkadin are to place Bane on the GF, place Bane on the boss, and to provide Aura Gifts and Aura of Courage&Wisdom.

You aren't properly Afkadin-ing if you aren't Afking properly!

• dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Those whiney sods have 2x DCs and a Healadin to support their candy ***.

Hey, I think it's only fair that I get double the supports if I'm taking double damage.
    > @rjc9000 said:
    > Appreciate all the comments.
    >
    >
    >
    > Quick question, im messing around with Devo now but wondering how tanking comes into or are you not tanking and just healing? Without the temp hp
    >
    > You don't tank, you make the DPS GF do it.
    >
    > Those whiney sods have 2x DCs and a Healadin to support their candy ***.
    > They can live with having to learn how to tank.
    >
    > Your duties as Afkadin are to place Bane on the GF, place Bane on the boss, and to provide Aura Gifts and Aura of Courage&Wisdom.
    >
    > You aren't properly Afkadin-ing if you aren't Afking properly!

So, put bane on, bond and then leave to go grocery shopping, gym, etc?

> @rjc9000 said:

>

>

>

> Quick question, im messing around with Devo now but wondering how tanking comes into or are you not tanking and just healing? Without the temp hp

>

>

>

> Your duties as Afkadin are to place Bane on the GF, place Bane on the boss, and to provide Aura Gifts and Aura of Courage&Wisdom.

>

This one understands the art of Afkadin!

(Seriously though, on mob fights, keep Bane on two DPSers in your team. On bosses, you need to keep up Bane on main DPS and boss. Bond is there to proc Radiant Champion and passive heals for the Primal set bonus.

You can use something else for the last encounter slot. Vow for the chip damage or Absolution if teaming with a DPS GF. If you run with a Templock, do not use Vow unless you like lagging the rest of the team).

• onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Burnadin is still a viable build. I tanked Orcus (CN) with it. You heal so much, as long as you cannot be one shotted, then you are good. Using Bane will significantly decrease your DPS as a Burnadin, but hopefully the DPS party member you Bane more than makes up for it.

Bond of Virtue, Burning Light and Vow of Emnity are the Burnadins' tools.
  • manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

> @rjc9000 said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

(Seriously though, on mob fights, keep Bane on two DPSers in your team. On bosses, you need to keep up Bane on main DPS and boss. Bond is there to proc Radiant Champion and passive heals for the Primal set bonus.

You can use something else for the last encounter slot. Vow for the chip damage or Absolution if teaming with a DPS GF. If you run with a Templock, do not use Vow unless you like lagging the rest of the team).
    Absolution gives a temp HP shield on your ally? Sweet! Make your GF buddy feel like a Wrathful Warrior!
    manipulos said:

rjc9000 said:

> @rjc9000 said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Absolution gives a temp HP shield on your ally? Sweet! Make your GF buddy feel like a Wrathful Warrior!
    No, it does not actually proc Wrathful Warrior. What it more precisely does is it protects your TempHP.

You'll have your shield bar (from Absolution), then your TempHP (from ITF/whatever), then your regular HP.

If you take damage, the game will deduct points from Absolution's shield before hitting your TempHP, meaning you "keep" your TempHP for Wrathful Warrior.

• manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

manipulos said:

rjc9000 said:

> @rjc9000 said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

No, it does not actually proc Wrathful Warrior. What it more precisely does is it protects your TempHP.

You'll have your shield bar (from Absolution), then your TempHP (from ITF/whatever), then your regular HP.

If you take damage, the game will deduct points from Absolution's shield before hitting your TempHP, meaning you "keep" your TempHP for Wrathful Warrior.
    Thanks for the clarification, very nice to know.
    > @rjc9000 said:
    > > @rjc9000 said:
    >
    > > Appreciate all the comments.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Quick question, im messing around with Devo now but wondering how tanking comes into or are you not tanking and just healing? Without the temp hp
    >
    > >
    >
    > > You don't tank, you make the DPS GF do it.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Those whiney sods have 2x DCs and a Healadin to support their candy ***.
    >
    > > They can live with having to learn how to tank.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Your duties as Afkadin are to place Bane on the GF, place Bane on the boss, and to provide Aura Gifts and Aura of Courage&Wisdom.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > You aren't properly Afkadin-ing if you aren't Afking properly!
    >
    >
    >
    > So, put bane on, bond and then leave to go grocery shopping, gym, etc?
    >
    > This one understands the art of Afkadin!
    >
    > (Seriously though, on mob fights, keep Bane on two DPSers in your team. On bosses, you need to keep up Bane on main DPS and boss. Bond is there to proc Radiant Champion and passive heals for the Primal set bonus.
    >
    > You can use something else for the last encounter slot. Vow for the chip damage or Absolution if teaming with a DPS GF. If you run with a Templock, do not use Vow unless you like lagging the rest of the team).

So, let me make sure im getting this...

Bane has 3 charges, so on boss with a dps gf I keep bane on both? As in, lets say, 2 on GF and 1 on boss?

> @rjc9000 said:

> > @rjc9000 said:

>

> > Appreciate all the comments.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Quick question, im messing around with Devo now but wondering how tanking comes into or are you not tanking and just healing? Without the temp hp

>

> >

>

> > You don't tank, you make the DPS GF do it.

>

> >

>

> > Those whiney sods have 2x DCs and a Healadin to support their candy ***.

>

> > They can live with having to learn how to tank.

>

> >

>

> > Your duties as Afkadin are to place Bane on the GF, place Bane on the boss, and to provide Aura Gifts and Aura of Courage&Wisdom.

>

> >

>

> > You aren't properly Afkadin-ing if you aren't Afking properly!

>

>

>

> So, put bane on, bond and then leave to go grocery shopping, gym, etc?

>

> This one understands the art of Afkadin!

>

> (Seriously though, on mob fights, keep Bane on two DPSers in your team. On bosses, you need to keep up Bane on main DPS and boss. Bond is there to proc Radiant Champion and passive heals for the Primal set bonus.

>

> You can use something else for the last encounter slot. Vow for the chip damage or Absolution if teaming with a DPS GF. If you run with a Templock, do not use Vow unless you like lagging the rest of the team).

So, let me make sure im getting this...

Bane has 3 charges, so on boss with a dps gf I keep bane on both? As in, lets say, 2 on GF and 1 on boss?

Bane has a 16 second timer if you own a Rank4 Bane.

If you place Bane on someone (boss or enemy), you will add another stack of Bane to a maximum of 3, in addition to refreshing any pre-existing Bane stacks (ex: 2 Bane Stacks on DPS GF, place Bane again, DPS GF now has 3x Bane and the timer goes back to 16 seconds).

If you have enough Recovery, you can recharge a stack of Bane every few seconds (say, 6). The goal is to manage your Bane timers well so you can keep 3x on DPS GF and on the boss.

If you're on console, I'd recommend a Heart of the Black Dragon used with the Artificer's Persuasion insignia bonus. Purposely miss with the active power to gain a ton of Recovery, in addition to giving you a timer of sorts that can help you keep track of when you need to refresh Bane on certain targets.

Ahhh, okay. I always assumed if you put bane on player and then went to put bane on a boss it would cancel out the players bane stack. Thats awesome to know and though I will deff work on it, thanks for the explanation.