test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

HR PvP mod 14. How to Archer. Updated - tl,dr version.

Comments

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Thnx.

At the moment after the leaderboard reset I'm languishing on about page 6, but have the most kills (and lol, also the most deaths) of any HR in the top 10, and I'm pretty high up on the most kills overall list, regardless of class. New record of 39 kills in one match.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

Ok so respecced a few boons from defence to offence and added a ring of brutality (which is up quite a lot as either they're dead or I'm dead, meaning I'm out of combat pretty quick, resetting the ring) so power is up into the mid/high 40s. Took all the critsev/combat adv. boons too.

New record, 35 kills for 3 deaths in a long close match. And during another match, some hate mail from a TR, from eoa no less, who was actually on my team. Literally at the start of the match he says "kick koca, he sits on pillars and does no damage." By the end of the match he had 6 kills, I had 19 kills, and was top of the board with about 6000 points. We also won the match.

I pm'd him "really..? No damage..?" He pm'd me back saying "go play pve" and then put me on ignore lol.

I made a TR jealous - do I get a medal or something..?

I think I encountered the same TR, though he'd moved to FR by then. Those poor 2-button faceroll classes really take it personally when someone outdoes them.
    edited March 2018
    Page 4 on the LB, 2000+ kills, upgraded to U.vorp. Happy days.

Page 3... I'm on fire today lol.
    Post edited by jonkoca on
    Another up and down day, high as page 3, low as page 7.

Upcoming changes to pvp in mod 14, bullcharge won't prone anymore, and SoD will be 75% of mitigated damage. All good news.
  • teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    That
    is great news, its not difficult to counter a TR as a trapper, but will make it manageable while a Archer.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

Another up and down day, high as page 3, low as page 7.

Upcoming changes to pvp in mod 14, bullcharge won't prone anymore, and SoD will be 75% of mitigated damage. All good news.

Ha ha yeah I am still PvPing with my Archer too... Keep going up and down the charts, its a bit daft as you can get 20 kills 1 death and lose the game and that puts you down the Leaderboards.

I am halfway to 4k kills in less than 200 games and just hit 4k Assists :) Just over 1k deaths so not too shabby... All stats are from solo Dom from this Mod (I can update actual numbers later).
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited April 2018
    LOL, sorry, did not mean to bump you down yesterday. ;)

Sucks, I take a break and still see the same toons grinding PvP. IWP battles have had new toons.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    Hell, I'm using archery to level up and I love it. 90% of the time mobs are dead before they reach me.
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW

LOL, sorry, did not mean to bump you down yesterday. ;)

Sucks, I take a break and still see the same toons grinding PvP. IWP battles have had new toons.

I am probably going to give up PvP for a short while.

I had 0 fun last night, just ran into player after player who just stun you to death. There is absolutetly no enjoyment in turning people into training dummies and I just dont get why people try to drive players away from the game by doing it.

I am so sick of being able to do nothing in battle.
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    I really really hate pvp trappers, and stunbot OPs, more than TRs even . Luckily there aren't too many on pc. Though I think some of the big names are taking a break until the TRs get fixed next mod.
    LOL, @wdj40, is my hybrid Trapper giving you fits. I alternate between Arch and Trap and its situational which mode I use to hammer home the win. I occasionally smack you with the Combat. Also, my hybrid Arch does stun and root. :)

I found taking breaks to farm AD is refreshing and definitely rewarding.

The Legendary Outlaws

LOL, @wdj40, is my hybrid Trapper giving you fits. I alternate between Arch and Trap and its situational which mode I use to hammer home the win. I occasionally smack you with the Combat. Also, my hybrid Arch does stun and root. :)

I found taking breaks to farm AD is refreshing and definitely rewarding.

Dunno, but whatever it is you are doing to make players completely unable to play is just wrong. If you are on the losing team or are getting wrecked it is not good to pull out a perma-stun build. You may think yeah this is good and fun etc and "for the win" but you may as well just go and fight training dummies.

I like you and I like playing with and against you... but forcing me to not be able to play the game with perma-stuns forces me to log off and play something else.

There is a reason CC keeps getting nerfed as it drives people away from the game.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    Slott trance or ultra elven and Trapper stunboots are just food for the fishes.
    If I get targeted by one I just slott elven and make sure he stays on rezz for the rest of the match.....
    marnival said:

Slott trance or ultra elven and Trapper stunboots are just food for the fishes.
    If I get targeted by one I just slott elven and make sure he stays on rezz for the rest of the match.....

Yeah its a lot to get another Enchant though, I just used all my AD savings on a Leg Lion. Also sold my Perfect Elven as needed some more VIP and various keys.

I will make another Elven soon... but anyhoo it pretty much does nothing though. With the shear volume of stun sources available you are still perma-stunned to death if the player so choses to go that way.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited April 2018
    No one likes being rooted. And truthfully, I have run Blade Storm and Seekers lately since CR makes it entirely too easy. I just find it amusing when I ran Archer for months in the recent past how I did not struggle as much confronting the same trappers and rogues (with 30k+ recovery) spamming their stuns.

The reason you root a Arch is because they can run away really fast in stealth to set up else where for a one/two shot. So Archies need to learn/work various counters to get better.
    The Legendary Outlaws
    edited April 2018
    I too am running extremely high ArP on my hybrid Arch and Trap. There are few toons playing the Archer at its best on XBL. I did run across a new Arch this morning. He hits hard, as hard as Krait but does not yet move fast to recover. I will get with him later today.

For me match results mean nothing, getting the W is the goal. If you're chasing down K/D, go back to CallofDuty. If you manage to get great results, awesome. Means you beat up on a team not yet ready for your team's comp. When I ran trap just before Arch, I had a lot of deaths and had 86 W's and 7 L's in the middle of page one. Then for some reason PvP crashed. Probably from all the q syncing, one/two shot Archies and other existing issues. I departed PvP and farmed for PvE gear, fell to page seven.

There are more high level toons in solo now than prior since PreMs were still running. Now PreMs are rare. I much rather run in a PreM so the developing toons can get good, so there will be less whining. ;)
    The Legendary Outlaws
    edited April 2018
    marnival said:

True Gf or CW + elven Gwf do not even need it = Trapper in rezz camp 90% of the game.......

Your percentage is extremely high.

The Legendary Outlaws
    edited April 2018

marnival said:

True Gf or CW + elven Gwf do not even need it = Trapper in rezz camp 90% of the game.......

Your percentage is extremely high.

When playing Gf with Elven if the trapper do not actively avoid me it is pretty accurate as soon as I see the trapper he die back to rez and not kicking him with waiting time that is pretty much what happens ,,,,, ask Lunc :-)
    I go for the tanks first at the start. We are a range skill so I either get you to half health before you make your first hit or I am toast. Our dodges are not reliable but if I manage to dodge and aided by Oghma, its game on! I have a recent vid of a couple tanks playing ping pong with me, I managed to wipe them.
    The Legendary Outlaws

I go for the tanks first at the start. We are a range skill so I either get you to half health before you make your first hit or I am toast. Our dodges are not reliable but if I manage to dodge and aided by Oghma, its game on! I have a recent vid of a couple tanks playing ping pong with me, I managed to wipe them.

Yea well you on x-box me on pc so can not test but so far no trapper on pc can stand a chanse against high end bis Gf at least not as far as I seen or experienced. As my main used to be Hr since mod 12 I have not seen any Hr stand up to Gf at bis lvl, I tried myself as trapper, hybrid and combat and tbh not even been close 1-1.

Assisting others trapper can sure be valid but alone vs cw, gf, gwf they are toast just not enough survivability (...
    Uh, can't talk trapper here, did you notice all the whining was removed.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    O like this tread alot, and after reading this i finally notice that my "fun" play stylle could be also used in PVP;
    (i say fun because is not something i use all the time, in PVE hard areas i have to go combat) and even with a low geared archer HR (12,3k atm since is an alt) i can score some kills and be usefull to the team !

I never liked PVP in any mmo game and now i'm having some fun there, of course some GF will chase me down and kill me but is still FUN ( they cant capture the nod whille trying to kill me :D )

Tks guys for the tips on archer pvp stylle !
    and a big tks to @jonkoca for the tread really nice to snipe on pvp too ...

ps. sorry for the bad english...
    Cheers. Glad if it was helpful.
    Just exhalted my main hand. Tactical nuclear strike mode.... ENGAGE.
    edited May 2018
    Just hit 6k kills.

Dumped silveries for radiants for more hitpoints and lower deflect to make shadowclad proc more often. Sitting now at about 200k HP and 16% base chance to deflect.

Note: OP updated.
    I came across a HR and Pally with the Shadowclad this morning. They seem to both simultaneously proc when near each other so hit one, 'spend' the proc and then wipe them.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • sandfox#5862 sandfox Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I just found this post...cool, other PvP archers! To add to the conversation, here's my take on PvP HR Archer, which is more defensive than anything I've seen on the thread so far.

Glass canon ain't my style, so I went hard on defensive boons and Deflect equipment. This works because we have such high damage that we can afford to lose a bit of offense and still kill everybody.

Deflect procs heals and reflect damage from insignias and boons, so you get a lot back for the stat investment. With pots, Aspect of the Lone Wolf, Deflect Insignias, and Silvery Enchants, I have Deflect at around 80% with Deflect Sev of 60%.

I use an Elven Battle enchant to prevent stunlocks and for the stamina boost.

Important: Pathfinder's Action is bugged and doesn't work with Elven Battle, so don't try to use them two together.

Insignias:
    Gladiator's Guile (Stamina/Speed)
    Barbarian's Revelry (Heal on Crit)
    Survivor's Blessing (Heal on Deflect)
    These two I'm still playing with but I'll probably change them out because they have a cooldown:
    Champion's Return (Heal at 50% HP)
    Victim's Preservation (Heal on big hits)

Equip Power: Skeleton Steed (20% of HP healed over time with every Disrupting Shot)

Even with the healing nerf, these add up.

I run Feytouched for buff/debuff. Helps keep me alive.

Rotation:
    Longstrider's Shot (procs Prey)
    Disrupting Shot (fast, procs heals, Daze sets up Aimed Shot)
    Aimed Shot
    Hunter's Teamwork (fast, applies debuff)
    Hindering Shot (fast, roots set up Aimed Shot)
    Aimed Shot
    Ambush + run if chased by aggro GF. If not, repeat until entire team is dead.

One benefit to running Hindering Shot over other options is that you can proc Prey immediately on a new target after killing someone. This really helps to clear out a node fast.

I use Forest Meditation instead of Forest Ghost. This way, after I stealth and retreat, I can heal up quickly and get right back into combat. I've found Ambush is good enough for stealth, I don't need Forest Ghost also.

If chased, I use Hindering Strike to root, (optional) Gushing Wound for bleed damage while rooted, drop Bear Trap in front of them, Ambush, retreat. They'll almost always run right into the trap after the roots drop.

With all this defense, I'm pretty tanky and hard to kill. I can still take out an OP, GF or DC, it just takes a few hits more than with a glass canon build. I use slayer enchants + guild boon if necessary. I can also hold a node okay against most players 1v1.

The only real problems I run into is being chased by GF (stealth doesn't work if they mark you), and top tier TRs. I fought a page 1 TR yesterday, unloaded several fully buffed Aimed Shots into him and it did nothing. That's what 85% Deflect Severity looks like. Plus they have Stealth, ITC, and SOD?? Ugh. Broken.
    edited May 2018
    To kill TRs I usually stealth until they unstealth, and hit them with disruptive and rapid shot. Hopefully my manticore mane is up and will take a chunk out of them, and rapid shot chips away, esp. if prey is also up. By the time they stealth, I'm also ready to restealth myself, disrruptive's green glow will tell me where they are, so I try to keep distance.

Don't get me wrong, no guarrentees, they'll still kill me if they are geared, but it buys time, and keeps the node blue a little longer. I've also two-shot pretty much all of the top names a couple of times with lucky longstrider/disruptive combos.

Thnks for your post, I get the urge to be a bit more tanky, though I do my best to resist it lol. 7k kills can't be wrong.
  • sandfox#5862 sandfox Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Green glow? I didn't know that was a thing! Nice. I'll have to look out for that.

So you prefer Rapid Shot over the debuff you get with Hunter's Teamwork?

I probably should run a Glass Cannon loadout and a Archer Tank loadout and switch between the two as needed, depending on the situation.

I'm thinking of how to build a purely anti-TR loadout for 1v1s. Maybe Split the Sky and/or Thorn Ward for AoE damage while Stealthed? That might keep them off nodes but in 1v1 pretty useless. Maybe LSS + Ambush + Plant Growth for big AoE hits? Crushing Roots + Hindering Shot?

There's gotta be a way to do this.
    With the TR, you do match their stealth as much as possible but I am not that concerned since I am running a tank build and they have 30K recovery. I just make sure to get an LS, AS, DS, then finish with rapid at-will. Step in and out of their smoke if they drop it. ;) I too run the Mane. Holding on to the daily for the right time is key and very rewarding. The ultimate compliment is "you're a hacker" which I received yesterday when confronting two wizards and a TR in IWP.
    The Legendary Outlaws