test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod12b PvE DpS CW Build Guide

Comments

• d3cepti0n#1453 d3cepti0n Member Posts: 73 Arc User

I tried to recreate your character for tweaks and 3 things:

-In the overall sheet you picked engine inspiration, but in the campaign guide Baleful clutch is the one taken.
    -On your public character the Swift lion's first insignia is Mastery, not Dominance. But you have 900 Comp. influ in the guide too, so I think it remained like that in later builds.
    -I've tried twice to exactly copy the character on the guide, but neither case got the same stats. The problem might be on my side, but does the overall stat look is up-to-date?

-Good catch, updated with Baleful. Honestly, both can be used, since they are both equally useful/less. I probably went over it while checking and thought "yeah, we're good".
    -Whoops. ( How did you know it was that exact one though? :thinking: )
    -Yeah. Don't forget to stack up boons that give power, like the SH one.
    Piece by piece.
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited November 2017

-In the overall sheet you picked engine inspiration, but in the campaign guide Baleful clutch is the one taken.
    -On your public character the Swift lion's first insignia is Mastery, not Dominance. But you have 900 Comp. influ in the guide too, so I think it remained like that in later builds.
    -I've tried twice to exactly copy the character on the guide, but neither case got the same stats. The problem might be on my side, but does the overall stat look is up-to-date?

-Good catch, updated with Baleful. Honestly, both can be used, since they are both equally useful/less. I probably went over it while checking and thought "yeah, we're good".
    For the 2., accidentally hovered my cursor over it on checking your public character :D

And now the success has happened and got the exact same!

2 additional note:
    -On the statpage, you are wearing Rex Corona, but on gear pic it shows Primal Raid Imaski. This was one difference.
    -Second, in the arms and feet, you are only using greater power kits instead of major (on the public character).
    edited November 2017

For the 2., accidentally hovered my cursor over it on checking your public character :D

2 additional note:
    -On the statpage, you are wearing Rex Corona, but on gear pic it shows Primal Raid Imaski. This was one difference.
    -Second, in the arms and feet, you are only using greater power kits instead of major (on the public character).
    Fixed both, thanks again for the observations. This is what happens when you do things in a hurry. ^^;
    The stats were corresponding to the corona build, so these should be unchanged and correct.

Piece by piece.
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User

2 additional note:
    Fixed both, thanks again for the observations. This is what happens when you do things in a hurry. ^^;
    The stats were corresponding to the corona build, so these should be unchanged and correct.

Glad to help. My last note on this is that the guide says 10 STR and 8 DEX, but the build is 8 STR (+2 with Company cloak) and 10 DEX. (And ring+armor used is not updated in the items section, but that might be intentional and they are mentioned in the "Other" anyway)

Question, does Cavalry's warning gives base or buffed stats? The site is showing some off-chart low number when I activate it. I'm looking it to compare with a second camadarie effect.

2 additional note:

Glad to help. My last note on this is that the guide says 10 STR and 8 DEX, but the build is 8 STR (+2 with Company cloak) and 10 DEX. (And ring+armor used is not updated in the items section, but that might be intentional and they are mentioned in the "Other" anyway)

Question, does Cavalry's warning gives base or buffed stats? The site is showing some off-chart low number when I activate it. I'm looking it to compare with a second camadarie effect.
    Cavalry is base stats. A second Camaraderie could be used if you needed non-fluctuating stats, however I find Cavalry better since it's an at-will 4.5k power trigger, while a second Camaraderie would be around 1.3k.
    Piece by piece.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited December 2017

> @thefabricant said:

> BTW, are there still (mod 12b or 12 on consoles) any bugs where some hits of some powers don't count as AoE like they should but as single target in terms of them and their procs being boosted by Focused Wizardry? @thefabricant

>

> Yes, there are.

Is the table in your old Notes on CW still accurate for that?

So in that case is it still worth to drop Focused Wizardry for full AoE Thaum/Opp loadout, especially on Human with extra 3 points or that extra 30% from those bugged hits won't be better than 10% reduced AoE damage? And does Creeping Frost/Warped Magics provide noticeable damage on trash anyway to keep them and not take more points in Frozen Power Transfer and/or Destructive Wizardry?

I guess it'd be still worth to have Thaum/Opp loadout with Focused Wizardry for overall soloing and T1-2 content where you'd usually change just one or two powers to single target (like Dis/CS/RoE on boss, or for e.g. T-Rex in Chult) rather than the whole loadout, right? And use full AoE loadout for trash in dungeons like MSPC or T9G.

Yes, that is what I currently do. Creeping Frost/Warped magics do not do great damage on trash but if you are in a fast moving group there isn't really an alternative since storm pillar has a long cast time and will slow down your clear speed and you probably won't get 3 casts of chilling cloud.
    Mobs when will see the fast moving groups they will die in 2 sec from shame standing to the fast moving group way( sarcasm).
    2 seconds is pretty nice time in any party to activate 15% buff for 20 seconds.
    To explain better this in fast moving group you may lose the other buffs so what you can do is to cast it while you do and your rotation for the next groups. i am refering to frozen power transfer.
    Post edited by mamalion1234 on
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    Fist of all, thank you for your work. I always like reading a well written guide, it either makes me pat my own back for making the same choices or question them. The following is about the question part.

Did you ignore loyal avenger gear, bc it has just one offense slot or because it is no longer available?

Is the dps boost due to HP so significant, that it is better, then the power using assasins covenant and black ice enchantments in your defense slots?

Did you ignore executioners black attire due to the positioning problem in the boss fights or for some other reasons?
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
    asterotg said:

Fist of all, thank you for your work. I always like reading a well written guide, it either makes me pat my own back for making the same choices or question them. The following is about the question part.

Did you ignore loyal avenger gear, bc it has just one offense slot or because it is no longer available?

Is the dps boost due to HP so significant, that it is better, then the power using assasins covenant and black ice enchantments in your defense slots?

Did you ignore executioners black attire due to the positioning problem in the boss fights or for some other reasons?

LA is inferior to IG gear with rank 14s, thus it was not included. Cost (or availability) isn't a factor when determining bis.

Yes.

Exe's is a viable option in most cases. However It's usually buggy and not worth choosing over either of the chest pieces.
    Piece by piece.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User

asterotg said:

LA is inferior to IG gear with rank 14s, thus it was not included. Cost (or availability) isn't a factor when determining bis.

Yes.

Exe's is a viable option in most cases. However It's usually buggy and not worth choosing over either of the chest pieces.
    Thank you for your swift response.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • wulf#5119 wulf Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Minor question: since I already have a con artist at legendary, is it still a passable alternative to the sellsword or rebel mercenary? Or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and grind a bunch of gambit for new companion gear?
    edited December 2017
    wulf#5119 said:

Minor question: since I already have a con artist at legendary, is it still a passable alternative to the sellsword or rebel mercenary? Or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and grind a bunch of gambit for new companion gear?

As far as party damage is concerned, the debuffs/uptimes are the same. Personally, you lose 2-2.5k power in exchange for some extra defense due to the defensive runestone slot. However, some may argue that Con Artist is realistically "better" than the sellsword due to how much easier it is to obtain Rings than +4 IG Gear. Also, a minor sidenote that I find quite interesting, Greater Ostorian rings are actually a little better than +4 IG gear as far as stats go (about 50 extra stats total if I recall correctly).
    So, in conclusion, If you are BiS and farming IG is the best thing you can do with your time in NW to improve (assuming you don't gear any alts), go for it. In any other case, stick with Con Artist at least until we see what mod13 will bring us. (And maybe grind out 3 Greater Dods in the process).
    Piece by piece.
  • jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    Not a CW but con artist user anyway. I ran IG countless times and I got 3 fierce rings of the companion +4 in less than 2 weeks, have got other decent gear but I'm yet to see a +4 fierce swordknot and necklace.
  • reefriednunt#3177 reefriednunt Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    Is there anyway someone can post a clear picture of the feats....I can’t make them out
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

Not a CW but con artist user anyway. I ran IG countless times and I got 3 fierce rings of the companion +4 in less than 2 weeks, have got other decent gear but I'm yet to see a +4 fierce swordknot and necklace.

I spam IG on 5 characters. My DC uses the Rebel Merc and my CW uses the Sell Sword. Both have a mixture of Fierce and Bold Gear +4 for the companions. I have been playing IG daily 2x on each character to get the correct companion gear. My HR has Fierce and Bold gear +4 as well on his Air Archon. Out of my offensive builds my SW is the only character without fierce gear. I have been only lucky enough to get two +4 double slotted offensive rings. The fierce neck +4 drops almost weekly for me though.

I seriously wish the devs would have given the +5 gear two offensive or defensive instead of the second slot being an overload slot.
  • shockerizershockerizer Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Really love the guide and all the hard work. Thanks a bunch. I did have a question.

What would you change for a less specific build. IE: for groups that don't meet the specific requirements.

Really love the guide and all the hard work. Thanks a bunch. I did have a question.

What would you change for a less specific build. IE: for groups that don't meet the specific requirements.

Kinda hard to say without having an example in mind. In general, the less power your party shares, the more important power becomes, so, some close calls between Power and HP would be in favor of Power. If you don't have an AC at all or a really bad one, Recovery also gains a lot of value. Not enough to invest in it a lot, but surely more. If you don't have an OP at all, leave the queue gr- ignore HP alltogether and go with Def/Defl/LS where possible and use Assassin's Convenant.
    Piece by piece.
    edited January 2018
    Ok, that makes sense. I usually run with the guild (NW Legit Alpha) when I can, but the roles can be varied so I can't count on the exact best for this build group.

What about equipment? I have built alot of LS into him as I can never seem to count on heals and so far it is kept me alive unless I get to aggressive with combat placement.

Essentially I am trying to put all my hard earned RP into the artifacts that I will be using. I still haven't gotten ToNG unlocked yet and never run FBI. I am geared OK, but I need to upgrade my pieces.

I am still running the Aboleth set as well as the Lostmauth stuff. I can get the Company Raid Cloak and I have a Epic Greater Int belt. Wheel of Elements as my primary with Sigil of CW, Lantern and Horn. I have the Soul Sight in the bank (thanks to the Simirl event).

Anyways, I just want to be effective in any party despite the makeup.

Thanks again for all the hard work. I really admire you and Sharp for the detailed and reasoning behind your decisions. I am just now getting the hang of ACT and running my own numbers, but it sure can be tough to figure out BiS and rotation.

EDIT - I also should mention that I am running Sharps basic 11.5 build.
    Try to get whatever is within your reach with the most stats provided. Your goal is to cap arpene, then crit, then stack power. Hunt gear is a good start, efficient and easy to get. Considering artifacts, It's up to you really. Kessel's Spheres or Lantern are really good cheap artifacts to help with capping stats. Lostmauth set should be your priority to change, prefferably with the 6 INT one. Upgrading soulsight will also help your overall performance a lot, considering Bosses are what matters most at the moment. Considering defensive stats, you will want to focus on Defense, HP, Lifesteal. ~20% lifesteal should be more than enough for any content afaik. If you work on your positioning to the point where you don't get hit, go with black ice to get the most out of Assassin's Convenant.
    Piece by piece.
  • wulf#5119 wulf Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Re: assassin's covenant, what bonus would it replace? Shepherd's devotion?
    Alrighty then! Thanks for the advice and the help.

I have the Int belt at Epic. What is the 6+ INT? Belt and ?
  • reefriednunt#3177 reefriednunt Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    It’s the owlbear belt (+4 at legendary) and the company raider neck (+2 at legendary)
    wulf#5119 said:

Re: assassin's covenant, what bonus would it replace? Shepherd's devotion?

This is something I forgot to mention, will add it on the guide with the next update. In the Stable section, insignia bonuses are listed in order of descending significance. While Shepherd's Devotion isn't a direct dps increase, thus cannot be compared to the rest of them, I ranked it purely through my experience in the game in which it has proven to be an extremely strong addition to the utility of the party, thus ranked #1. So, to answer your question, you'd replace Cavalry's.
    Piece by piece.
    edited January 2018
    Ok, great! I bought the Company Raider Cloak and will get that refined. My Owlbear Belt is at Epic so I will get that to legendary as soon as I can. It is amazing how many RP you can get from the Simril event. I think I picked up about 400,000 when all was said and done.

Also, Soul Sight Crystal increases damage by 50 percent for 10 seconds (mythic). That is strictly single target or does it increase AOE damage as well?

Post edited by shockerizer on
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Also, Soul Sight Crystal increases damage by 50 percent for 10 seconds (mythic). That is strictly single target or does it increase AOE damage as well?

Just versus the target you Soul Sight.

Say we encounter an enemy pack comprised of an elite mob and bunch of weaker enemies.

If you Soul Sight the big mob, drop a CoI on him, the surrounding enemies won't be affected by the Soul Sight extra damage, but the big mob will be affected by Soup Sight.

Ok, that is what I figured from all the info gathered. Essentially keep the Wheel for general purpose and switch to Soul Sight for single target boss fights.

Well cool. I will get to work on some refining!
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Wait.

Wheel is useless on CW. A large majority of your damage doesn't proc it (Aura of Courage, proc weapon enchants ala Lightning, Storm Spell, Assailant, Abyss, and so on. Basically, any procs won't work with Wheel).

That's why Sacra doesn't mention it on his guide.

Hmm, I believe it is listed.

"AoE:
    Sigil of the Great Weapon (Better than the sigil of the devoted in cases where the mobs are
    tanky, and not too many. Namely, FBI’s Giants.)
    Wheel of the Elements (recommended when there is no OP in the party.)"

What you are saying is that the 30 percent increase for 28 seconds doesn't work with the majority of CW's damage?
    I think it was also listed in Sharp's 5 primary for his 11.5 mechanics document, but I see where he says it doesn't proc off of Aura of Courage, Storm Spell, Assailing Force, Creeping Frost, Warped Magics, weapon enchantments or Arcane Singularity.

If not Wheel of Elements for general purpose, what do you think would be the best primary artifact?

I have been playing since Beta, but I am way behind the curve on boons and completion. I am working on finishing the final areas but I want to make sure i spend my RP wisely for end game stuff.

Thanks for all the help!

• c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    The Wheel is great when you have the Thaumaturge paragon for the sake of getting the extra 5% damage increase due to a feat for a brief period of time.

If you are a mid-level to high-level CW, the wheel of elements isn't a bad choice.

If you are the hi-end level CW, only in that case scenario the wheel is --->not as good<--- as a debuff option which would add more to the overall damage increase.

To go to the next level of gameplay you should possess many things and adjust accordingly.

Having the Wheel in the inventory and being able to swap certain artifacts, enchants or loadouts is not a bad idea.

FOR NEW PLAYERS AND THOSE WHO JUST START A CW CLASS :

What I always advise to the people who seek to make a build - make it to be profitable for you. Do not look at the BiS builds since such things heavily rely on gear/enchants/artifacts as well as the time invested/rp invested. And are also probably going to change by the time you build it unless you have around 2000$ to invest immediately.

If you're making a new build, try to understand how it functions. A CW is primarily a rotation based class to a fault and much of the damage increase is dependent on proper timing. The class won't prove to be useful unless you account for the micromanagement skill wise.

This is why I remind anyone who starts playing the class - be mindful of what each spell does and to what degree. The Wizard is not a heads-on smash destroy raaagh type of a class and time and dedication are a must!

Just a friendly reminder, mean no disrespect to anyone jumping right away on the Thaumaturge train : If you're just starting out, please, do not spec-out as a Thaumaturge since you will underperform by at least 20-30% without having max crit/artifact builds. Instead, opt for the Renegade path until you're confident enough that you can play the Thaumaturge class properly, knowing how and when to time it. Furthermore, you'll be of much more use to the party as well as people around you doing heroics by simply holding your left-click occasionally giving them 30% critical chance, 30% armor penetration, 30% damage increase as well as 10% life-steal while also giving a potential healing (which will also help you to actually play tankier until you have enough life steal or insignia bonuses or whatever).

Simply put, have one loadout for a renegade tree which is far more helpful in stronghold events and is way more party-friendly.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language

The Wheel is great when you have the Thaumaturge paragon for the sake of getting the extra 5% damage increase due to a feat for a brief period of time.

If you are a mid-level to high-level CW, the wheel of elements isn't a bad choice.

If you are the hi-end level CW, only in that case scenario the wheel is --->not as good<--- as a debuff option which would add more to the overall damage increase.

To go to the next level of gameplay you should possess many things and adjust accordingly.

Having the Wheel in the inventory and being able to swap certain artifacts, enchants or loadouts is not a bad idea.

FOR NEW PLAYERS AND THOSE WHO JUST START A CW CLASS :

What I always advise to the people who seek to make a build - make it to be profitable for you. Do not look at the BiS builds since such things heavily rely on gear/enchants/artifacts as well as the time invested/rp invested. And are also probably going to change by the time you build it unless you have around 2000$ to invest immediately.

If you're making a new build, try to understand how it functions. A CW is primarily a rotation based class to a fault and much of the damage increase is dependent on proper timing. The class won't prove to be useful unless you account for the micromanagement skill wise.

This is why I remind anyone who starts playing the class - be mindful of what each spell does and to what degree. The Wizard is not a heads-on smash destroy raaagh type of a class and time and dedication are a must!

Just a friendly reminder, mean no disrespect to anyone jumping right away on the Thaumaturge train : If you're just starting out, please, do not spec-out as a Thaumaturge since you will underperform by at least 20-30% without having max crit/artifact builds. Instead, opt for the Renegade path until you're confident enough that you can play the Thaumaturge class properly, knowing how and when to time it. Furthermore, you'll be of much more use to the party as well as people around you doing heroics by simply holding your left-click occasionally giving them 30% critical chance, 30% armor penetration, 30% damage increase as well as 10% life-steal while also giving a potential healing (which will also help you to actually play tankier until you have enough life steal or insignia bonuses or whatever).

Simply put, have one loadout for a renegade tree which is far more helpful in stronghold events and is way more party-friendly.</p>

Obviously, "absolute trash" is an overstatement used to prove a point. As stated, it is on average a 6ish% damage buff, which is of course a "not bad" thing to have, especially considering it's duration. But as always, any comparisons are made by having a high-end CW in mind. Regarding the rest of your info, I'm in total agreement, except for one point. If you are at no point gear- or gameplay-wise to support a DpS Thauma build, it would be most efficient to spec for MoF Rene, in my opinion.
    Piece by piece.
    Alrighty then! I guess I need to get my DC up to 70 asap. Thanks for all the points guys.