test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mod12b PvE DpS CW Build Guide

d3cepti0n#1453 d3cepti0n Member Posts: 73 Arc User
Dps CW guide for Mod12b PvE. Will do my best to keep it updated for every major patch that comes live.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11XkHwHFQGmYWy-oc8MWal47EMEmX-lb0YJdo4AP4Iq4/edit#
Piece by piece.

Comments

• Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Ahahaha more things to help me improve my Illuminati game!

Question for you (or Harpedge if he wants to chime in):

-Why do you guys prefer the Masterwork II set for single target? Is it linked to the "CW aint burst deeps" idea?
    -Is there any reason why you guys prefer Shirt of the Chultan Merchant over the Gemmed? I'm not quite seeing why the BiS Illuminati would prefer it over the good old Elemental Shirts...
    -I am curious: why did you split between 2/5 for Warped Magics+Creeping Frost, and 3/5 in Frozen Power Transfer?
    -Have you met any GFs who are unable to press Tab and can't hit you guys with ITF? o.0
    -Is the Julibee Parade Horse used as the Prot. Friendship example to account for Sharp's special someone?
    -Would you account for Squash Soup in stacking Crit, since a good Illuminati never dies (especially in a BiS party)?

• Options
    assidisassidis Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    delirium what. build from the category "how not to do"
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    rjc9000 said:

-Why do you guys prefer the Masterwork II set for single target? Is it linked to the "CW aint burst deeps" idea?
    -Is there any reason why you guys prefer Shirt of the Chultan Merchant over the Gemmed? I'm not quite seeing why the BiS Illuminati would prefer it over the good old Elemental Shirts...
    -I am curious: why did you split between 2/5 for Warped Magics+Creeping Frost, and 3/5 in Frozen Power Transfer?
    -Have you met any GFs who are unable to press Tab and can't hit you guys with ITF? o.0
    -Is the Julibee Parade Horse used as the Prot. Friendship example to account for Sharp's special someone?
    -Would you account for Squash Soup in stacking Crit, since a good Illuminati never dies (especially in a BiS party)?

-Both weapon sets would have to be used, one on each loadout. The mw2 set was chosen for single target since thats where the party does the most damage relatively to the cw

-It was a question of 228 Power + 114 ArPene vs 130 Crit and 600 Recovery. We believe the latter to be more effective.

-This was only done on the Single Target loadout. The thing is, warped magics only upgrades the chance when spending points in it, which means that in a bossfight, you'll most likely get the proc either way. On the other hand, going with 3 points on FPT, gives you a practically permanent 3% dps increase ( even more, as there are cases like the Avatar of Orcus fight, where you can hit 3 zombies while the boss is on the air and get 9%, or Rasnsi spawns ), prefferably stacked at the very start of the fight, where your dps would be a little less, due to debuffs not having enough time to be applied.

-You would be surprised. In the final look/overview I've slotted the War Boar cause I expect a GF with 2 braincells and a finger aswell, however I thought it should be mentioned. Also the 2DC OP CW HR comp is very viable aswell.

-No, that was my own, random decision, purely because it looked more fancy that the other options :smiley: As a matter of fact, Sharpedge had slotted Palomino Horse in his.

-Of course we went over the Watermelon vs Soup debate, and ended up agreeing that Watermelon is better. (Given 250k power, 97% CS, 24% CAB and 55% of overall damage critting.) However, there exists a "version" of the build with Ring of Brutality +5 over the rising precision, using Soup and the guild Crit food. :)
    Post edited by d3cepti0n#1453 on
    Piece by piece.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    assidis said:

delirium what. build from the category "how not to do"

Saying exactly what you disagree on ( or examples, if you dissagree on too many things) would both give your opinion weight and also give me the option to consider your suggestion and either change the build or explain why yours is not best. :)
    Piece by piece.
  • Options
    theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I have to go quick, but 3,5 point:

-A question, how bad is human as race?

-Are Ring of the Beast/Dinosaur Hunter +5 have been considered? Gives the same (a little better) stats in a fixed term (which has very little revelance because it procs up pretty fast, but still). And their effect is just some cherry-topping.

-Might be just my personal preferance, but I like to get most of my ArPen to my character and give just the necessary minimum on companion, because comps are having the average intelligent quotient of a banana and does not prefer living as a calm, fun state of being. Which means on this example to make 7 Brutal -> 7 Demonic into the character and 3 Demonic -> 3 Brutal on comp. The second thing with this that ArPen can be tweaked more precisely.

+I prefer Thayan book/lantern over CW sigil, because it's third stat, but in that build I hardly see how to fit in without stat loss, because ArPen.
  • Options
    devlindragonsdevlindragons Member Posts: 11 Arc User

Dps CW guide for Mod12b PvE. Will do my best to keep it updated for every major patch that comes live.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11XkHwHFQGmYWy-oc8MWal47EMEmX-lb0YJdo4AP4Iq4/edit#

I liked the guide, maybe there is something I do not agree with, -in general it's not bad. Tell me more about the skills in one goal. Conduit of Ice (Mastery),Disintegrate,Icy Terrain,Chilling Strike, Sudden Storm and Ray of Enfeeblemen-What to use for one purpose?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

I have to go quick, but 3,5 point:

-A question, how bad is human as race?

-Are Ring of the Beast/Dinosaur Hunter +5 have been considered? Gives the same (a little better) stats in a fixed term (which has very little revelance because it procs up pretty fast, but still). And their effect is just some cherry-topping.

-Might be just my personal preferance, but I like to get most of my ArPen to my character and give just the necessary minimum on companion, because comps are having the average intelligent quotient of a banana and does not prefer living as a calm, fun state of being. Which means on this example to make 7 Brutal -> 7 Demonic into the character and 3 Demonic -> 3 Brutal on comp. The second thing with this that ArPen can be tweaked more precisely.

+I prefer Thayan book/lantern over CW sigil, because it's third stat, but in that build I hardly see how to fit in without stat loss, because ArPen.

- There is no such thing as "bad", it's just that some races are better. Human is pretty good (especially for the AoE loadout), and it would probably be close to dragonborn. I didn't mention it cause I thought I should add just the bis, and the one thats falsely considered bis. I'll add it soon as a viable option, thank you for your feedback. :)

-The chult rings have been considered, but their minimal extra stats or effects werent enough to cover for their rather bad stat distribution.

- If that is your playstyle, go for it. However, you will have slightly less stats overall, when bonded. Of course, it can be done, as long as the value stays the same, the source of the stats doesn't matter. These artifacts have been considered and rejected since you usually want to have power in your artifacts. (getting unavoidably crit or pene, more info on the About building section.)
    Piece by piece.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    There is no such thing as "bad", it's just that some races are better. Human is pretty good (especially for the ST loadout), and it would probably be close to dragonborn.

The Chult Rings have been considered, they weren't chosen because their minimal extra stats and effects weren't enough to make up for their rather bad stat distribution.

Of course, this can be done. There are many ways in the game where you can have the same amount of stats from different sources, assuming the stat value remains the same. However I believe you will have slightly lees stats while bonded with this change. Those artifacts were not chosen due to the fact that they don't have Power, as you will get crit or arpene unavoidably ( More about this on the About building section).

EDIT NOTE: I accidentaly erased this comment, trying to fix a quote format error that was caused by me replying from mobile, so I rewrote it to the best of my memory. As @trzebiat correctly mentioned below, I had made a typo, I mean Single Target loadout instead of AoE, and thus edited it to avoid confusion.
    Piece by piece.
  • Options
    greyjay1greyjay1 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    The stats of your CW seem to be balanced in the rating simulator around 100% crit (with buff-food) and 85% resistance ignored.
    I recently (2 days ago) used the simulator to balance my paladin and it turned out that the pet-stat-transfer was calculated wrong, the char ended up with ~5% more resistance ignored and ~3% more critical chance than simulated.

Did you test this gear setup either on live or preview server to verify the stats?
  • Options
    > @greyjay1 said:
    > The stats of your CW seem to be balanced in the rating simulator around 100% crit (with buff-food) and 85% resistance ignored.
    > I recently (2 days ago) used the simulator to balance my paladin and it turned out that the pet-stat-transfer was calculated wrong, the char ended up with ~5% more resistance ignored and ~3% more critical chance than simulated.
    >
    > Did you test this gear setup either on live or preview server to verify the stats?

I personally tested live's rank 13 bondings with the simulator ones, and Sharpedge tested previews rank14s. The values matched in both cases.
    Piece by piece.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    rjc9000 said:

With regards to this build: He asked me to read over it and comment on his choices and I gave him my thoughts on it. It is however, his build and I will be building my CW differently as there are some things I prefer to do another way (I am not sure I like the rex helmet and some other stuff).

> @greyjay1 said:

> The stats of your CW seem to be balanced in the rating simulator around 100% crit (with buff-food) and 85% resistance ignored.

> I recently (2 days ago) used the simulator to balance my paladin and it turned out that the pet-stat-transfer was calculated wrong, the char ended up with ~5% more resistance ignored and ~3% more critical chance than simulated.

>

> Did you test this gear setup either on live or preview server to verify the stats?

I personally tested live's rank 13 bondings with the simulator ones, and Sharpedge tested previews rank14s. The values matched in both cases.

He means pet influence, not bondings. Companion Influence is calculated incorrectly in the ratings simulator. As far as I know, it under calculates not over calculates but I haven't got around to checking it and working out exactly what is going on. I stopped testing comp influence back when stats fluctuated all the time since I could never trust my stats.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • Options
    trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User

There is no such thing as "bad", it's just that some races are better. Human is pretty good (especially for the AoE loadout), and it would probably be close to dragonborn.

Just "pretty good"?

Tiefling:
    - +2% crit chance from CHA (easy to get, at the cost of power - not a big deal with power share, or with consumables)
    - +2% CA damage
    - +2% companion stat bonus
    - at 34 INT with 2/5 Learned Spellcaster - 2.48% damage bonus, with Bloodlust vs enemies below 50% HP - 7.604% damage bonus

Human
    - at 34 INT with 5/5 Learned Spellcaster - constant 6.2% damage bonus

Considering trash mobs are often one shot from above 50% HP and on bosses it takes less time to burn through the 0-50% than 50-100% HP because of Fire Archon's active bonus and other classes using Orcus set and/or having increased damage when enemy's damage diminishes, the uptime on Bloodlust gets even lower. Personally I think Human is as good if not better than Tiefling.

And how would Human be better for AoE when those 3 extra feats points would always go to max Learned Spellcaster? You don't consider dropping Focused Wizardry for AoE, do you?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Ah, yeah. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to determine the way companion influence works on live after my tests. A slight stat difference is expected, which is why insignias of all 3 stats were chosen.(so they will be easily tweaked)
    Either way, modifications will be made once I get everything needed on live to check the values.
    Piece by piece.
  • Options

I liked the guide, maybe there is something I do not agree with, -in general it's not bad. Tell me more about the skills in one goal. Conduit of Ice (Mastery),Disintegrate,Icy Terrain,Chilling Strike, Sudden Storm and Ray of Enfeeblemen-What to use for one purpose?

I'm assuming by one goal you mean single target. In that case, you will use CoI on mastery, disintegrate, ray of enfeeblement, and depending on the boss, either IT or Chilling Strike. Sudden Storm is currently too buggy to be used on bosses, sadly.

Feel free to comment what you do not agree with. Feeback is always appreciated :)
    Piece by piece.
  • Options
    rjc9000 said:

There is no such thing as "bad", it's just that some races are better. Human is pretty good (especially for the AoE loadout), and it would probably be close to dragonborn.

Just "pretty good"?

Tiefling:
    - +2% crit chance from CHA (easy to get, at the cost of power - not a big deal with power share, or with consumables)
    - +2% CA damage
    - +2% companion stat bonus
    - at 34 INT with 2/5 Learned Spellcaster - 2.48% damage bonus, with Bloodlust vs enemies below 50% HP - 7.604% damage bonus

Human
    - at 34 INT with 5/5 Learned Spellcaster - constant 6.2% damage bonus

Considering trash mobs are often one shot from above 50% HP and on bosses it takes less time to burn through the 0-50% than 50-100% HP because of Fire Archon's active bonus and other classes using Orcus set and/or having increased damage when enemy's damage diminishes, the uptime on Bloodlust gets even lower. Personally I think Human is as good if not better than Tiefling.

And how would Human be better for AoE when those 3 extra feats points would always go to max Learned Spellcaster? You don't consider dropping Focused Wizardry for AoE, do you?
    Indeed, Human is a very strong class, close to bis. "pretty good" was indeed not the right wording. However, Tiefling is still slightly better, mostly because of 2 reasons.

Human's feat points lose a lot of value on the AoE loadout where Learned Spellcaster is already maxed (and not the ST, as you correctly pointed it, that was a typo ^^; ) ( although they do remain useful)

Tiefling's Bloodlust got a slight "buff" with the introduction of the Avatar of Orcus fight, since it actually benefits your dps, unlike when fighting mobs or more squishy bosses who do melt when below 50%.

Human will be added as a viable option soon, most likely today, along with a corresponding note of where the extra feat points should be used. It wasn't originally added because, as I said earlier, I originally wanted to just mention Tiefling, and included DB because it is generally thought much stronger than it really is.

Piece by piece.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    delete this post please.
    Post edited by mamalion1234 on
  • Options
    > @d3cepti0n#1453 said:
    > Ahahaha more things to help me improve my Illuminati game!
    >
    > Question for you (or Harpedge if he wants to chime in):
    >
    > -Why do you guys prefer the Masterwork II set for single target? Is it linked to the "CW aint burst deeps" idea?
    > -Is there any reason why you guys prefer Shirt of the Chultan Merchant over the Gemmed? I'm not quite seeing why the BiS Illuminati would prefer it over the good old Elemental Shirts...
    > -I am curious: why did you split between 2/5 for Warped Magics+Creeping Frost, and 3/5 in Frozen Power Transfer?
    > -Have you met any GFs who are unable to press Tab and can't hit you guys with ITF? o.0
    > -Is the Julibee Parade Horse used as the Prot. Friendship example to account for Sharp's special someone?
    > -Would you account for Squash Soup in stacking Crit, since a good Illuminati never dies (especially in a BiS party)?
    >
    > There is no such thing as "bad", it's just that some races are better. Human is pretty good (especially for the AoE loadout), and it would probably be close to dragonborn.
    >
    > Just "pretty good"?
    >
    > Tiefling:
    > - +2% crit chance from CHA (easy to get, at the cost of power - not a big deal with power share, or with consumables)
    > - +2% CA damage
    > - +2% companion stat bonus
    > - at 34 INT with 2/5 Learned Spellcaster - 2.48% damage bonus, with Bloodlust vs enemies below 50% HP - 7.604% damage bonus
    >
    > Human
    > - at 34 INT with 5/5 Learned Spellcaster - constant 6.2% damage bonus
    >
    > Considering trash mobs are often one shot from above 50% HP and on bosses it takes less time to burn through the 0-50% than 50-100% HP because of Fire Archon's active bonus and other classes using Orcus set and/or having increased damage when enemy's damage diminishes, the uptime on Bloodlust gets even lower. Personally I think Human is as good if not better than Tiefling.
    >
    > And how would Human be better for AoE when those 3 extra feats points would always go to max Learned Spellcaster? You don't consider dropping Focused Wizardry for AoE, do you?
    >
    > Indeed, Human is a very strong class, close to bis. "pretty good" was indeed not the right wording. However, Tiefling is still slightly better, mostly because of 2 reasons.
    >
    > Human's feat points lose a lot of value on the AoE loadout where Learned Spellcaster is already maxed (and not the ST, as you correctly pointed it, that was a typo ^^; ) ( although they do remain useful)
    >
    > Tiefling's Bloodlust got a slight "buff" with the introduction of the Avatar of Orcus fight, since it actually benefits your dps, unlike when fighting mobs or more squishy bosses who do melt when below 50%.
    >
    > Human will be added as a viable option soon, most likely today, along with a corresponding note of where the extra feat points should be used. It wasn't originally added because, as I said earlier, I originally wanted to just mention Tiefling, and included DB because it is generally thought much stronger than it really is.

I somehow missed the fact that you dropped Focused Wizardry for AoE loadout. Is it with the assumption of always running only AoE spells and never using Disintegrate in rotation for trash? I can see its advantage in places like MSPC running CoI on tab, IT, SuS, ST. In case of Human and dropping Focused Wizardry where the last two points after maxing all damage feats would go for the best usefulness? Controlling Action for extra AP gain?

But for places like FBI wouldn't Focused Wizardry with Dis in place of SuS or ST be better? What about other damage that's always single target and would be boosted by Focused Wizardry?

BTW, are there still (mod 12b or 12 on consoles) any bugs where some hits of some powers don't count as AoE like they should but as single target in terms of them and their procs being boosted by Focused Wizardry? @thefabricant
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    > But for places like FBI wouldn't Focused Wizardry with Dis in place of SuS or ST be better? What about other damage that's always single target and would be boosted by Focused Wizardry?

Yes, Dis would be better during the upclimb in FBI. If you want to be most effective during that phase, you would slot it instead of StealT. Or if you want to go that far, use the ST loadout with SuS slotted and change the weapon set.This heavily depends on how fast the team will melt them.But if I were to adjust my feats for a certain 3 minute phase of fbi, I would also have a 60% RI loadout with 3 Relic etc. As mentioned in the guide, the build is focused around Tong. Meaning that if something is 10% more effective in tong but 15% less in FBI, it was picked.
    Piece by piece.
  • Options

BTW, are there still (mod 12b or 12 on consoles) any bugs where some hits of some powers don't count as AoE like they should but as single target in terms of them and their procs being boosted by Focused Wizardry? @thefabricant

Yes, there are.
  • Options
    > @thefabricant said:
    > BTW, are there still (mod 12b or 12 on consoles) any bugs where some hits of some powers don't count as AoE like they should but as single target in terms of them and their procs being boosted by Focused Wizardry? @thefabricant
    >
    > Yes, there are.

Is the table in your old Notes on CW still accurate for that?

So in that case is it still worth to drop Focused Wizardry for full AoE Thaum/Opp loadout, especially on Human with extra 3 points or that extra 30% from those bugged hits won't be better than 10% reduced AoE damage? And does Creeping Frost/Warped Magics provide noticeable damage on trash anyway to keep them and not take more points in Frozen Power Transfer and/or Destructive Wizardry?

I guess it'd be still worth to have Thaum/Opp loadout with Focused Wizardry for overall soloing and T1-2 content where you'd usually change just one or two powers to single target (like Dis/CS/RoE on boss, or for e.g. T-Rex in Chult) rather than the whole loadout, right? And use full AoE loadout for trash in dungeons like MSPC or T9G.
  • Options

> @thefabricant said:

> BTW, are there still (mod 12b or 12 on consoles) any bugs where some hits of some powers don't count as AoE like they should but as single target in terms of them and their procs being boosted by Focused Wizardry? @thefabricant

>

> Yes, there are.

So in that case is it still worth to drop Focused Wizardry for full AoE Thaum/Opp loadout, especially on Human with extra 3 points or that extra 30% from those bugged hits won't be better than 10% reduced AoE damage? And does Creeping Frost/Warped Magics provide noticeable damage on trash anyway to keep them and not take more points in Frozen Power Transfer and/or Destructive Wizardry?

I guess it'd be still worth to have Thaum/Opp loadout with Focused Wizardry for overall soloing and T1-2 content where you'd usually change just one or two powers to single target (like Dis/CS/RoE on boss, or for e.g. T-Rex in Chult) rather than the whole loadout, right? And use full AoE loadout for trash in dungeons like MSPC or T9G.

Yes, that is what I currently do. Creeping Frost/Warped magics do not do great damage on trash but if you are in a fast moving group there isn't really an alternative since storm pillar has a long cast time and will slow down your clear speed and you probably won't get 3 casts of chilling cloud.
  • Options

> @thefabricant said:

>

> Yes, there are.

Our main (noticable) damage sources that are affected by FW (on an AoE Loadout) are Assailing Force and Warped Magics/Creepling Frost. So, FW would rather be a hinderance in the AoE loadout, since the certain feats rarely have impact.
    No, Elemental Empowerment isn't great on trash, it's just greater than the other options. FPT is a certain 0/5, since you will never have the time to attack thrice with Chilling Cloud on trash. DW also gets 0/5 since it would only be practical if you reached the camp before your frontline and had time to charge. Even then, I'd prefer using CoI to start ticking and shift back tbh. So, EE gets 5/5 just to increase the chance of it proccing instantly, killing 1 or 2 mobs early and making use of boons like Soul Syphon to clear out the rest of the mobs.

Yes, definitely. However Im not going to add a T1/T2 loadout to the guide to avoid confusion.

Piece by piece.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Edit: Updated build according to the new, fixed stat calculator.

As @greyjay1 correctly pointed out, I didn't take into account that Master and Expert Striker bonuses weren't calculated in the simulator.

Added an Edit Log section that sums up the changes.
    Piece by piece.
  • Options
    jano#8078 jano Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Question about the Rex Corona you use in your build; do you lose or keep the power gained after the two minute mark?
  • Options
    jano#8078 said:

Question about the Rex Corona you use in your build; do you lose or keep the power gained after the two minute mark?

As far I know, it becomes blank, so you lose the power.

Question: Why was regeneration picked in every possible boon instead of life steal severity?
  • Options
    haden42eehaden42ee Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    Regeneration actually tops your health back up while running to the next encounter. Life Steal severity on itself is useless.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

jano#8078 said:

As far I know, it becomes blank, so you lose the power.

Question: Why was regeneration picked in every possible boon instead of life steal severity?
    Regeneration's secondary effect (the incombat one) is incoming healing bonus, which means it strengthens your lifesteals a little (which we don't care about) and it also benefits your party's heals towards you. On the other hand, when you are hitting for millions, it doesn't matter if you heal for 70% or 40%, considering your HP pool is at just 200k. But yes, reallistically, these boons fall under the "useless boons" category.
    Piece by piece.
  • Options
    aday#3795 aday Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I would love to hear from this in regards to the master of flames counterpart. Especially when it comes to choose from class features and what encounter powers to slot on a single and aoe situation :smile:
  • Options
    aday#3795 said:

I would love to hear from this in regards to the master of flames counterpart. Especially when it comes to choose from class features and what encounter powers to slot on a single and aoe situation :smile:

As of right now, my knowledge on MoF CW is limited, so I'm sorry, but I'm not the person to give advice on MoF. Feel free to ask any SS related questions :)
    Piece by piece.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I tried to recreate your character for tweaks and 3 things:

-In the overall sheet you picked engine inspiration, but in the campaign guide Baleful clutch is the one taken.
    -On your public character the Swift lion's first insignia is Mastery, not Dominance. But you have 900 Comp. influ in the guide too, so I think it remained like that in later builds.
    -I've tried twice to exactly copy the character on the guide, but neither case got the same stats. The problem might be on my side, but does the overall stat look is up-to-date?