test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Converting to RP

minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
One of our guildies has just managed to perpetrate a stupidity that he shouldn't be able to do in any decently designed game.

He gets his aboleth weapons, converts a load of green items to RP ... including his newly purchased aboleth weapons.

Why:

a) are you allowed to convert them without a prompt that you're destroying artifact equipment
b) don't artifact weapons look COMPLETELY different to other green equipment (bright coloured border or something)

If you try to report this via the automated system you get the "we only reimburse zen items" message so there is no simple way of getting restitution. This is 5 weeks work and a considerable amount of ADs for AMWs down the toilet.

I believe he's going to try raising a ticket through ARC, but really this is very poor @nitocris83

Comments

• Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Hi @minotaur2857 ! Raising a ticket through ARC is the optimal way. In regards to accidental conversion, we try to put in safeguards to avoid accidental destruction and selling and are looking at where this may not be implemented correctly. I will escalate this instance internally to address the general issue but for the account specific concern, your guildy will want to go through ARC support.
  • Options
    I f

Hi @minotaur2857 ! Raising a ticket through ARC is the optimal way. In regards to accidental conversion, we try to put in safeguards to avoid accidental destruction and selling and are looking at where this may not be implemented correctly. I will escalate this instance internally to address the general issue but for the account specific concern, your guildy will want to go through ARC support.

@nitocris83 can I add another wrinkle to this mess, I just accidentally converted something (although not anything worth a ticket).

I had a greater belt of wisdom and baphomet's talisman in my inventory. I did the convert all equipment, drag/dropped the talisman and belt out of the window, and the only thing different was that the belt got added to my collections at this point (not sure why I'd had it a while), and this screwed up the removal from the convert.

• Options
    rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    We need a confirmation screen for any purple or artifact equipment (weapons, belts, artifacts...)
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    edited October 2017

I f

@nitocris83 can I add another wrinkle to this mess, I just accidentally converted something (although not anything worth a ticket).

I had a greater belt of wisdom and baphomet's talisman in my inventory. I did the convert all equipment, drag/dropped the talisman and belt out of the window, and the only thing different was that the belt got added to my collections at this point (not sure why I'd had it a while), and this screwed up the removal from the convert.

'Drag and drop' does not remove an item from the Convert window if you have used the 'Convert All....' option. You have to double click the item to remove it from the list of items about to be destroyed to make RP.

@nitocris83 This little quirk needs addressing as double clicking to remove items from a list in NW is not intuitive. You normally either drag and drop or right click and select from a menu. Aside from in the Convert panel, double clicking never removes anything. Double Clicking usually activates something or installs it.

Edit to flag this directly to nitocris83

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    qexotic said:

I f

'Drag and drop' does not remove an item from the Convert window if you have used the 'Convert All....' option. You have to double click the item to remove it from the list of items about to be destroyed to make RP.

This little quirk needs addressing as double clicking to remove items from a list in NW is not intuitive. You normally either drag and drop or right click and select from a menu. Aside from in the Convert panel, double clicking never removes anything. Double Clicking usually activates something or installs it.

#$#$!! I don't even know you can double click to remove it. I tried other common method in the game such as right click.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    rafaelda said:

We need a confirmation screen for any purple or artifact equipment (weapons, belts, artifacts...)

Since I do not believe they are ever automatically added to the window and need to be manually dragged and dropped (when rare, epic, legendary or mythic), I think there is enough in place to prevent these. Seriously, if you drag and drop them in the window and click convert, well, that is pretty much your fault. I guess they could add the "discard" logic in to it but its a pretty steep set of events to complete to accidentally destroy a rare or better artifact. The problem is, with green artifacts, they are added automatically when you select equipment, so it causes problems.

I think some of the auto-add filters are a bit broad, but adding 45 filters isn't really going to help the matter either. perhaps a "Add Common Equipment, Add Rare Equipment, Add Epic Equipment, etc" would be useful but I would think these scenarios are pretty rare.

For the time being, if you have something you don't want to put towards RP in your inventory, be careful and check the box. or do them one at a time 9which still makes the process overall better than it was).
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User

rafaelda said:

Since I do not believe they are ever automatically added to the window and need to be manually dragged and dropped (when rare, epic, legendary or mythic), I think there is enough in place to prevent these.
    While you are correct about rare, epic and legendary gear, @rafaelda was making the point 'any purple OR artifact equipment' (my capitalisation of the 'or' part for clarification). If you use the Convert all equipment option, it puts all types of green convertable gear into the convert list. This includes green artifact weapons, belts and neck items. As it stands, any and all green artifact gear gets selected automatically with the 'All' option. You then have to manually remove any that you do not want to lose before hitting the convert button. It is really easy to miss something in the list of selected items so more safeguards are needed....along with a change to the currently unintuitive 'double-click to remove' feature.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    qexotic said:

rafaelda said:

Since I do not believe they are ever automatically added to the window and need to be manually dragged and dropped (when rare, epic, legendary or mythic), I think there is enough in place to prevent these.
    While you are correct about rare, epic and legendary gear, @rafaelda was making the point 'any purple OR artifact equipment' (my capitalisation of the 'or' part for clarification). If you use the Convert all equipment option, it puts all types of green convertable gear into the convert list. This includes green artifact weapons, belts and neck items. As it stands, any and all green artifact gear gets selected automatically with the 'All' option. You then have to manually remove any that you do not want to lose before hitting the convert button. It is really easy to miss something in the list of selected items so more safeguards are needed....along with a change to the currently unintuitive 'double-click to remove' feature.

In addition, they should allow to convert blue "normal" gear to RP.
    If they do, that makes the situation even more complicated.

They should have a filter effectively choose "green 'junk' gear only".

Junk gear means green gear which is neither Artifact nor Artifact gear.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    I accidentally converted a freshly made teak weapon this way. Fortunately it was only a teak weapon and not some RD or relic weapon or god forbid something like an orcus shard.
  • Options
    qexotic said:

I f

@nitocris83 This little quirk needs addressing as double clicking to remove items from a list in NW is not intuitive. You normally either drag and drop or right click and select from a menu. Aside from in the Convert panel, double clicking never removes anything. Double Clicking usually activates something or installs it.

Edit to flag this directly to nitocris83

It worked the other 10 times I did it successfully, I've checked it doesn't work now, which explains a lot.
  • Options
    athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    I had converted my brand new mirage bow, before i even got to equip it. Fortunately the ARC team got it back for me a day and a half later. But my main concerns are that anything green goes in to the convertible equipment, even artifacts and artifact equipment. Surely those have a coding that can be seen by the conversion system. Also the blue drops. I used to pick those up and sell them on AH, but now i mostly skip them when i see them as green now has better return for me in RP. I'd like blue to be convertible too. I also think that anything that can be salvaged should be able to be converted to RP, in the special select your item way and not the general junk method. And lastly a way to convert profession resources to RP. I get tons of those and no reason to keep since i don't do that much profession crafting.

Last point.. can a level 40 green belt be converted to RP? I believe not. There are plenty of dungeons that you run and get the green drops that i pass cause i can't convert them. A player who just gets his/her first artifact can only use the RP system on gems/enchants/runes not on junk items, which are easier to obtain then the other three.
  • Options
    zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    @athena#9205 Green gear under level 70 still converts but at a lower rate.
  • Options
    gabbagulgabbagul Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    As the player in minotaur's OP that lost his brand new green Aboleth set to this, I'd like to report with relief I had a similar experience as athena just above, and they've agreed to replace my mistakenly converted items after a couple days and going through the Arc website here to submit a ticket. In-game ticket method gave me an automated "Sorry Charlie" kind of response, as minotaur mentioned; so I hope many people in my situation don't stop there, disappointed and aggravated. I was prompted by my guildies to continue my efforts with a ticket on the website. Why are these two methods (website vs. in-game ticket) producing a different level of customer service? This seems broken to me. Similarly, the live-chat function is not an option for missing items, apparently, its interface seemed incomplete and overall, unable to help.

All of that aside, I am very thankful the help they did provide. It was more than they could have done, and very appreciated.

Now, to the issue at hand. Please address the ability to very easily and accidentally convert green artifact equipment. It's faaaar too easy to click and *whoosh* it's gone. I love your "Convert All" option. I use it all the time. However, this is what contributed to me so freely clicking it for the umpteenth time and losing things I had no idea I would lose. Please either give us a method of tagging items as permanently "safe" from conversion, or at least give us a warning pop-up when artifact equipment is about to be converted along with the three dozen green trash items.

Thank you as always for your time and consideration.
  • Options
    mullymoomoo#7130 mullymoomoo Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    I have a blue level 70 item that I have picked up but I can't turn them into RP. I tried convert all items and I tried right clicking to select convert at item level but the option is not there.

The item is identified so that's not it. It doesn't have a RP value when I hover the mouse over it. Did they forget to include blue quality gear in the new RP system?
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    It is indeed a bit silly that you can convert green and purple gear ... but not some blue items. However, blue items have a decent vendor value - typically around 30 silver, so just sell them. Everyone needs a bit of gold income.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    rainer#8575 rainer Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    You can convert purples? I thought only green...

I also noticed that my (still) green relic gear went up in the convert screen... I have a lot of purple gear in my inventory but none of that ends up in there... As far as I've seen it's only green gear, but including green arti gear. Other arti gear you can add manually (it's not taken along in the automatic option) and that's how it should be. All arti gear should be explicitly added to the convert screen.

My 'solution' for was to put the green gear in the bank. I am still waiting for the protection system to lock certain gear from being converted.
  • Options
    jagermeister9jagermeister9 Member Posts: 9 Arc User

One of our guildies has just managed to perpetrate a stupidity that he shouldn't be able to do in any decently designed game.

He gets his aboleth weapons, converts a load of green items to RP ... including his newly purchased aboleth weapons.

So I did this very thing, though I would not call my actions stupid. This occurred because I was expecting the game to work as documented and not because I made an error in judgment. The tool was added the game (along with other functions that the "Identify All" function), to aid in the clearing out the useless end game drops and convert them to RP.

I don't think anyone would want to include Artifact Weapons of any quality with Uncommon Equipment. The developers have clearly made efforts to not include other items of higher value by requiring they be selected individually. It was because of this, I never for the life of me would think that Artifact Weapons (or any Artifact for that matter) would be included in that batch job.

The text tool tip of the RP Conversion tool using the "Choose convertible equipment" states;
    • This will select convertible equipment in your inventory of quality Uncommon or lower. Equipment of higher quality must be selected individually.
    This is how I view how the game classifing items. Is this right or wrong?
    1. Uncommon (Green) items are ones that have a Quality of "Uncommon". You can see/read the word Uncommon in the tooltip of the item.
    2. The Quality of an Aboleth Dagger is "Artifact Weapon". Nowhere the in tooltip is the word "Uncommon".
    Likely there is confusion on my part (and others) between Item Category and Item Quality. The tool should look at Category over Quality IMO.

Either the text detailing the functionality should be updated or the functionality needs correcting.

Supports take on the matter is; The "quality" of an item is in reference to the color and rank. It has nothing to do with the rarity of the item.
    I think they are missing the beat. Am I stupid?

• Options
    edited November 2017

Supports take on the matter is; The "quality" of an item is in reference to the color and rank. It has nothing to do with the rarity of the item.

Yes, for this game,

The "quality" of an item is in reference to the color and rank. It has nothing to do with the rarity of the item.

I am not saying I agree with that definition but it is how this game works since day 1.
    There were time that certain blue items were (may still are) more rare than purple and costed 10 times more in AH.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Well there is a dis-join between the developer blog and the in game implementation.
    From here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1234031/official-feedback-thread-refining-refinement/p1

Refinement Points

To go along with this we have a new conversion window that has some easy options to input all of the different convertible items that you want to break down into Refinement Points in one simple click.
    And you may have noticed how I mentioned Identified Uncommon Equipment can be turned into RP and thought "Man, identifying all of my green drops will be such a pain!", well we are also adding an Identify All button which will take your ID scrolls and identify all the unidentified items in your inventory with one click.
    Notice the words "Identified Uncommon Equipment" in reference to "convertible items"... Clearly not what was implemented in game.
    Post edited by jagermeister9 on
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Well there is a dis-join between the developer blog and the in game implementation.
    From here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1234031/official-feedback-thread-refining-refinement/p1
    And you may have noticed how I mentioned Identified Uncommon Equipment can be turned into RP and thought "Man, identifying all of my green drops will be such a pain!", well we are also adding an Identify All button which will take your ID scrolls and identify all the unidentified items in your inventory with one click.

Notice the words "Identified Uncommon Equipment"... Clearly not what was implemented in game.

In this game, "uncommon" means green. Items that do not need to use an id scroll to identify is considered to be identified.

Yes, I said the following too:

In addition, they should allow to convert blue "normal" gear to RP.
    If they do, that makes the situation even more complicated.

They should have a filter effectively choose "green 'junk' gear only".

Junk gear means green gear which is neither Artifact nor Artifact gear.

• Options
    Yet all green items can not be refined in this tool...

Green Examples;
    Shieldbearer's Longsword (Artifact Weapon) is recognized as a convertible item by the tool; yet,
    Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue (Artifact) is not.

Clearly the tool limits by Category or Type in addition to Quality. Whatever the limit is for Artifacts, needs to be expanded to include Artifact Weapons.
  • Options
    noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
    Anytime we design a system to give a bunch of flexibility and easing of tasks it becomes a tricky balance of how much to allow and how much to block to make the feature a boost to players, in this case for time savings, vs limited aspects of it to help players not do something they didn't intend to.

It is similar to trying to balance how many items have the extra safe discard, which requires typing in discard, to make sure players don't get rid of things they want, and how many items to let players get rid of at will to keep their gameplay moving quickly/smoothly.

We did block higher level enchantments and artifacts from being pulled into the convert all window to help with preventing accidental loss. We also have a feature coming up in a future update to allow a player to mark inventory items as protected so they don't get accidentally destroyed, sold, or converted into RP. Along with that the bank is a protected place to store items that players don't want to convert into RP on accident.

The changes to refinement are very new and are numerous, we will be looking at plenty of feedback to see what tweaks can be made to make it even more user friendly. We can certainly look into blocking any artifact equipment from going in the convert all window (the reason I say look into is it is generally never that simple, especially with artifact equipment/equipment as they are very similar on the back end, but it may be something we can change).

As for terminology Uncommon is the in-game term for anything that has a green border. Rare is Blue, Epic is Purple, Legendary is Orange and Mythic is the light blue/teal/whatever color is the right terminology that a system designer would inevitably not use the right label. And we wouldn't want to refer to any non gray item as "junk" as that is an almost universal term in the MMO world for items that are only useful for selling.

To address the Green vs Blue question (which was discussed during the preview period but those threads are massive at this point): The main reason was actually to help players not accidentally use an item for the wrong purpose. Since at end game Blue and Purple items are used for salvage, we felt it would be clearer and safer to have it be a direct line of Greens can be used for RP and Blue and Purple can be used for AD. That does create the situation where blue items that drop during leveling can't be converted into anything other than gold. But since those are quite a bit more rare than the numerous greens players constantly get, we figured it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

It isn't an issue where we can't make blue items worth RP. It is more of a question of in the long run is that a benefit, or does it create extra unfortunate situations where a player accidentally converts a top tier blue item into RP and loses out on their AD they could have had? Or if we create a situation where Blue items can be converted to RP unless they can be salvaged, does that just create confusion in the system (also can we do that in a clean enough way that it doesn't introduce more ways for us to slip in bugs when making new items)?

The question basically is, in the long run, which direction makes it the easiest system for players to understand and use? We chose the conservative most direct separation to start with, but it doesn't mean it has to stay that way.
  • Options
    darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User

we felt it would be clearer and safer to have it be a direct line of Greens can be used for RP and Blue and Purple can be used for AD. That does create the situation where blue items that drop during leveling can't be converted into anything other than gold. But since those are quite a bit more rare than the numerous greens players constantly get, we figured it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

There are level 70 blue items that can be obtained with the same function as well. For example the pvp rewards you get after every pvp match. Are these considered "during leveling" and "rare"?

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• Options
    nemesis666#6862 nemesis666 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    While upgrading my R12 to R13 i burned alot wards on the 3%chance and i just clicked as fast i could to get it done asap. (Before mod 12B u could do this without a problem)
    Then it told me i failed to upgrade to R14....next message was "succesfully upgraded to R13"....then i realized i refined it to 13, clicked on "refine" again, and BOOM 3 Ultimate wards are gone...cuz the system do all automatically for u but dont put a ward in.
    3 Millions are gone, 30 hours of Tong farming wasted. I guess support wont help me here cuz its "my own fault" and i have to agree, but still i think the system isnt worked out well.
  • Options
    arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    the lock items from being sold/salvage or converted to rp was not added to the live build they didnt address this first patch/maintenace after the game released, the devs should have kept working on it, and released this fix right away basicly HAMSTER player of their time, seems things needs to be sent to cryptic studios to get better staff for their projects.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

While upgrading my R12 to R13 i burned alot wards on the 3%chance and i just clicked as fast i could to get it done asap. (Before mod 12B u could do this without a problem)
    Then it told me i failed to upgrade to R14....next message was "succesfully upgraded to R13"....then i realized i refined it to 13, clicked on "refine" again, and BOOM 3 Ultimate wards are gone...cuz the system do all automatically for u but dont put a ward in.
    3 Millions are gone, 30 hours of Tong farming wasted. I guess support wont help me here cuz its "my own fault" and i have to agree, but still i think the system isnt worked out well.

I kinda did this, it's too easy to do, I upped a 9 to 10 and absent mindedly refined again, but fortunately it worked first time so didn't cost. I think the very least it should do is auto load the same stack of wards.

The issue is not being forced to load the RP in, if you have it, it will auto add, was more difficult to do this before as you had to have preloaded the RP in for both ranks for it to happen.

• Options
    athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    is there a warning that you are converting without a ward? if not there should be.
  • Options
    kleineryoda#3363 kleineryoda Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2017

To address the Green vs Blue question (...): The main reason was actually to help players not accidentally use an item for the wrong purpose. Since at end game Blue and Purple items are used for salvage, we felt it would be clearer and safer to have it be a direct line of Greens can be used for RP and Blue and Purple can be used for AD. That does create the situation where blue items that drop during leveling can't be converted into anything other than gold. But since those are quite a bit more rare than the numerous greens players constantly get, we figured it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

I do understand this form a logic point of view, and I would like to agree, but from the game's perspective I can't. I will call Alliance gear and alike tiered, as you were previously able to buy them with seals / they drop in tiered dungeons. So let's have a look at it.

[Uncommon]
    Uncommon tiered gear can be salvaged for 1000 AD (Fierce Belt of the Companion +1 and alike).
    Normal uncommon gear can be converted to RP.
    Uncommon Artifacts and Artifact Gear can be converted to RP.

[Rare]
    Rare tiered gear can be salvaged for 2000 AD (Alliance Assault Ring).
    Rare Company Gear can be salvaged for 100 (?) AD. [Link]
    Normal rare gear can't be converted at all.
    Rare Artifacts and Artifact Gear can be converted to RP.

[Epic]
    Epic tiered gear can be salvaged for 4000 AD (Ostorian Ring of Dod, Vivified Relic Armor).
    IIRC epic tiered elemental Alliance gear salvages differently again?
    Epic tiered Rusted Relic Armor can't be converted at all.
    Epic tiered Restored Relic Armor can be converted to 1 (!) RP. [Link]
    There is no Normal epic gear. (OK)
    Epic Artifacts and Artifact Gear can be converted to RP.

[Legendary]
    Legendary Rings can be salvaged for 5000 AD (Greater Ostorian Ring of Dod).
    Legendary Artifacts and Artifact Gear can be converted to RP.

[Mythic]
    Mythic Artifacts can be converted to RP.

So, I appreciate very much that you try to keep confusion low and keep the system consistent - but ... *confused* (I left out [Common], as the only exception to: Sell all for Gold are the event Artifacts, that can be converted to 1 RP)
  • Options

is there a warning that you are converting without a ward? if not there should be.

You're right, there used to be and now isn't @nitocris83 this needs to be put back
  • Options
    firdraingfirdraing Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 58 Arc User

[Epic]
    Epic tiered gear can be salvaged for 4000 AD (Ostorian Ring of Dod, Vivified Relic Armor).
    IIRC epic tiered elemental Alliance gear salvages differently again?
    Epic tiered Rusted Relic Armor can't be converted at all.
    Epic tiered Restored Relic Armor can be converted to 1 (!) RP. [Link]
    There is no Normal epic gear. (OK)
    Epic Artifacts and Artifact Gear can be converted to RP.

^^

Not entirely correct https://postimg.org/image/49qcbhmy1/
    Why I can't convert my main hand?

And one more time: The amount of RP you get from converting artifact equipment and SKT stuff is a joke.