test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Offending Red Zone Attacks

artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
edited October 2017 in Bug Reports (PC)
Some area attacks with a red zone can't be avoided, or are at least much harder to avoid than they should, because the game doesn't check whether players are inside the zone at the time the attack happens but some instants, in some cases several seconds, before.

What happens is : the red zone appears, the game sees a player inside the zone, the player leaves the zone, the attack happens and the player gets hit anyway.

Some of these attacks will even drag you back into the spot you were standing at when the red zone appeared.

One could think that this is due to server lag but I can avoid all other red zone attacks in the game at the last second without a problem. The ones listed here clearly have a problem.

Here are the ones I have found so far :

- Iron Golem (many different versions) : Dazing Fist (stun effect)

- Baphomet : Wall of Stone (stun effect)

- Avatar of Orcus : Plummet (pushback effect), I'm not sure of the name but it is his only red area attack

- Yuan-Ti Zealot : Deepclaw (knockdown effect) and the fear skill, I don't know its name because it doesn't appear on the combat log. The Fang of Dendar (hunt target) and the mini-boss in the house of crocodile (weekly version) also use these two skills

- Flame Hex : Death Burst (pushback effect)

- Barbarian Champion : Transformation (into Were-Wolf) (knockdown effect)

They seem to all have a control component. Most of them respect control immunity but not dodge.

If anyone can think of some other offending red zone attacks, please let me know.
Post edited by artifleur on

Comments

• Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    All the mobs that blow up when they die in River District
  • Options
    jrdiiorio#8134 jrdiiorio Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    I find when your using your dodge to get out the animation of the dodge needs to be completed to avoid those red splats. If your visually out and the dodge is still in animation you still get hit.
  • Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    DC slide should allow for invulnerability while in animation... it works like that for other splats
    I can slide right through or out of the red splats going uphill in FBI, for instance, but if I'm anywhere near one of the exploding dead guys in RD, though well out of the actual splat, I get knocked back
    I've never tested it methodically... I'll check it out tonight
  • Options
    I see which mobs in RD you mean i'll check their name later today.

There may in fact be two different problems, some not checking at the right time and some not accounting for last minute dodge, shift, slide...

Control immunity is a different story since devs clearly stated that they intend some control skills to disregard control immunity and even updated some tooltips to say "immunity to most control effects".
  • Options
    jrdiiorio#8134 jrdiiorio Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    > @preechr#2215 said:
    > DC slide should allow for invulnerability while in animation... it works like that for other splats
    > I can slide right through or out of the red splats going uphill in FBI, for instance, but if I'm anywhere near one of the exploding dead guys in RD, though well out of the actual splat, I get knocked back
    > I've never tested it methodically... I'll check it out tonight

Never paid much attention up the hill in FBI but hati is a problem while sliding on my dc and so is orcus in t9g with the push back move. I'm on PS4 if it matters.
  • Options
    I added the Flame Hex.

I also tested the iron golem attack some more with a paladin.

It doesn't stun through immunity. Leaving the red zone at the last moment by moving not by dodging still stuns you. So it's not just a problem with dodges.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    One of my major gripes has to do with Drufi. When she swings down (which can one-shot anyone) there is NO red zone, i.e. no indication whatsoever how far away you have to be. To add insult to injury, if you have aggro and try to dodge, she automatically spins to face you even as she is swinging down -- making it IMPOSSIBLE to dodge to the side, since there is no "side". IMO that is ridiculously unfair.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    artifleur said:

Some area attacks with a red zone can't be avoided, or are at least much harder to avoid than they should, because the game doesn't check whether players are inside the zone at the time the attack happens but some instants, in some cases several seconds, before.

What happens is : the red zone appears, the game sees a player inside the zone, the player leaves the zone, the attack happens and the player gets hit anyway.

Some of these attacks will even drag you back into the spot you were standing at when the red zone appeared.

One could think that this is due to server lag but I can avoid all other red zone attacks in the game at the last second without a problem. The ones listed here clearly have a problem.

Here are the ones I have found so far :

- Iron Golem (many different versions) : Dazing Fist (stun effect)

- Baphomet : Wall of Stone (stun effect)

- Avatar of Orcus : Plummet (pushback effect), I'm not sure of the name but it is his only red area attack

- Yuan-Ti Zealot : Deepclaw (knockdown effect) and the fear skill, I don't know its name because it doesn't appear on the combat log. The Fang of Dendar (hunt target) and the mini-boss in the house of crocodile (weekly version) also use these two skills

- Flame Hex : Death Burst (pushback effect)

If anyone can think of some other offending red zone attacks, please let me know.

No idea if that helps the devs to find the bug, but I state it anyway. ;-)

I did some testing with Baphomet's Wall of Stone. I tested with my CW, TR and HR, so all have the ability to somehow dodge the area attack usually. What I found out was that when I teleport/dodge out of the red area once, I get hit. No matter if the teleporting/dodging animation is already over or not (as @jrdiiorio#8134 suggested). However, when I teleport/dodge twice I always avoid the attack.
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for the info! Passing it on :)
  • Options
    arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    yes in tuern skirmish on my dc i slide and still get stunned, i rach to a point of using aa to get me immunity for that(only 1 immnune attack, second stun affects me if we have 2 golems
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    I feel like this happens in the fight with Ras Nisi in Tomb of the nine gods. I'm not sure if it's an actual mechanic or not. Sometimes I'm not in any visible area of attack and I still get hit by something.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.