test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Breakout Dye Packs

samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
The multi-channel dye packs have one serious limitation... we are forced to use the dye colors on our amour without any ability to change the channels the dye will be applied to.

Now, changing the entire user interface to allow this would probably be too much work... however, there a simple solution: add a right-click menu option to allow us to break the dye packs out into three separate dye bottles... I mean the description does state it is a set of dyes, and the pack part of the title implies multiple bottles.

You don't even need to come up with new dye names, just use the name of the original pack with the original channel name appended. For example the "Blessed Gold Dye Pack" would generate three new dyes:

Blessed Gold - Primary
Blessed Gold - Secondary
Blessed Gold - Accent

Each of these dye bottles would work the same as the single color dyes work, they would dye any single channel of a piece of armor only. To keep the AH from being cluttered with these new dye bottles simply make these extracted dyes BtC or BtA.

From what I can tell all armor dying is done via shaders, so allowing us to breakout the dye packs into separate bottles shouldn't cause any issues from a coding perspective as the ability to arbitrarily dye any channel of a piece of armor already exists.

This would allow us much greater flexibility to dye our armor, something I think many people would really enjoy having. There are many great colors locked away in the dye packs, but sometimes I'd like to swap channels, or use colors from one pack with another... and that is just not an option.

One other idea might be to change the radio buttons on the existing user interface to checkboxes when using a dye pack... all enabled by default, but if a checkbox is disabled then that channel is just not used for dying. So I could use the Primary and Accent channels only and skip the Secondary channel when using a dye pack. This would be nice to have, but allowing us to breakout the dye packs into three separate bottles would probably be the easiest way to give us much greater customisation of our armor without needing to change a thing in the user interface, other than adding a single menu item to the context menu!

While I am making suggestions... it would also be really nice to have additional solid color choices as well... like yellow... why is there no yellow solid dye color?
@samaka#2511

Comments

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Not too bad of an idea, but it could lead to more inventory clutter.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    Well, sure... if you right click on your dye pack and breakout the dyes you will take up 2 more inventory slots than the pack itself. Though if someone does breakout a dye pack the chances are probably really good they plan on using the dyes sometime soon or why would they breakout the dyes in the first place? :)

I really think this idea could work and due to minimal user interface changes it shouldn't even be difficult to implement!
    @samaka#2511
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,098 Arc User
    More color variety would be good.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

Well, sure... if you right click on your dye pack and breakout the dyes you will take up 2 more inventory slots than the pack itself. Though if someone does breakout a dye pack the chances are probably really good they plan on using the dyes sometime soon or why would they breakout the dyes in the first place? :)

I really think this idea could work and due to minimal user interface changes it shouldn't even be difficult to implement!

Well, if you are only wanting one of the colors from the dye pack, that's where it would cause the issue. Cause like, there isn't any single "orange" color dye, so I'd use it for that, but then if I didn't want the other 2 dye colors, they will just sit in my inventory.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    Nothing stopping you from discarding them! :)
    @samaka#2511
  • Options
    I'm definitely in favour of this, there's a lot of good colours locked away in those packs that you can't do anything with. Even just let me reorder them with drag and drop or something if absolutely necessary, but at this point I have to get three different dyes anyway just to get something acceptable. Breaking the pack open would be a perfect solution to that.
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Passing on this suggestion to the team :)
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Another thing you might want to pass on: there are a lot of items with "Dungeon Dye Pack" and "Questing Dye Pack" applied to them. Often, the colors in those packs are unique. It would be really nice if those packs and/or colors were available!

That said, my personal preference is to be allowed back into those closed-off dungeon rooms first...
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured