test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Installing on a second machine

flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
is there an easy way to install this game on a second machine that does not involve re-downloading it

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2017
    If you can, you can transfer your entire installation directory through your home network. This could take a while though, probably just as fast as downloading the game depending on your internet speed. You just won't use internet bandwith, but will hog your home network bandwith. Then just make a shortcut to "Neverwinter.exe" (the game launcher). If you want it embedded in ARC or Steam however, you'll need to install it normally. If you end up just wanting to install it without ARC or Steam, copy over just the "Neverwinter.exe" launcher and put it in its own "Neverwinter" folder then run it, it will patch the game to the directory you placed it in with no need for ARC or Steam.
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    so theoretically you cold put the entire directory on a thumb drive and sneaker-net it over . . . ??
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2017

so theoretically you cold put the entire directory on a thumb drive and sneaker-net it over . . . ??

Yep! All three Cryptic games' installations are transferrable without a full install needing to be done.
    When first launching the Launcher for any of the three games (NW/STO/CO), the needed registry keys that normally would be made during installation will be created according to wherever you copied the installation to. It will then go through the "patching process" where it will detect and verify already present game files, skipping them for download. So, as long as your copied installation is fully patched already, you won't download anything.

• flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    [obscene explicates] talk about how to do it . . . I know developers who would soil themselves if they ever discovered that this could be done

BTW you need a "salute" emoticon on this forum
  • redmonster9redmonster9 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    For some reason i had to factory reset Windows 10 and i saved Neverwinter in my E:/ Disk and now i have all the files but whenever i open the launcher it starts patching the game like its patching 17GB of the game which i dont want to wait .
    edited August 2017
    Find where ever it is installing it to, delete the contents and copy it there from your E drive. It has to be the same file structure, so if you have it in the wrong folders, it will download to the proper structure. When you first run the launcher, it will look like it is patching but it will actually be verifying all the files and won't download anything it doesn't need. If you already did this, then what you may be seeing happening is it verifying all of the 17gb of files and not actually downloading/patching 17gb. This process can take some time, but it is quicker than a fresh install.
  • redmonster9redmonster9 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    It seems like the problem is still continuing im Installing Neverwinter from steam and I transfered all the files to the directory under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cryptic Studios but its still just patching and patching if it is as you say Verifying,how long will it take to verify 15gb of this ?? its going pretty slow like 1.1mb/s
    edited August 2017
    I'm not sure how Steam would handle this. You don't need to use Steam to play the game. I would suggest to uninstall it through Steam. Close out steam, then create your own directory somewhere on your hard drive, copy the directories and files there, and run Neverwinter.exe located there-in.

For example, my structure looks like this:
    C:/001 Games/PWE/Neverwinter_en/

This is the location I have the Neverwinter.exe launcher and all its files in with all the subdirectories for the game.

Then in the future, to run the game, just create a shortcut to Neverwinter.exe and use that to load the game without Steam. If, for whatever reason, you want to use Steam, you can either add the game manually through Steams options or you'll need to install it through Steam the normal way. I do not think manually adding it will integrate it with Steam though for steam wallet functionality. I don't suggest to buy through Steam though anyway, as that can put you on a probationary period. It's always best to buy Zen directly from the Charge link uptop these forums.

The whole verifying process should take no more than 5-10 minutes, depending on your machine.