test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Short in support classes? Find out why!

dimmax#3398 dimmax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Don't you hate it when a tank leaves the queue? When they abandon the instance in mid fight? Always running behind and when you look at the scoreboard, they don't even top the 'damage taken' category... *sigh*

Well,... I'm one of those tanks. I abandon the instance mid fight quite often, on purpose, with a very good reason. And I will continue to do so whenever I feel it's needed. I even encourage all tanks out there to do so. Hoping to initiate a change all together. A change in the attitude towards tanks, or even the support classes in general.

[Alliance] PersonX : Normal sva needs 2 tanks 2 healers

[Guild] PersonY: mdemo needs dc and tank

[Alliance] PersonZ : Fbi lf tank

Looks familiar, doesn't it? Yep, as in almost all RPG games there's a shortage of tanks (and other support classes) Neverwinter is not different, it's a RPG, a Role Playing Game. Suggesting you're supposed to play a role. And agreed, this game is as unbalanced as my grandma dancing on a rope between two buildings, a tank is still a role. A role needed if you want to beat the content.

What is a tank? What is a tank supposed to do? Why do you need a tank?
No matter how you pose the question, you'll get the same answer in 99.9% of the cases: they're supposed to take damage...

They are supposed to take damage...

How? Seriously... how?

In most cases, not to say all cases, when I enter a dungeon, everybody takes off. They run off towards the first group of enemies. Or even worse, they just run towards the first gate/door or whatever is keeping them to run even further. They then face the enemies they aggro'd all at once. I always find it very amusing when they die within the very first seconds after engaging this way. It's funny how they go on their knees in the chaos they just have created themselves. Obviously I don't even bother to help them back up. Why would I? It's not their role to engage and try to absorb the damage done by the enemies. And certainly not all at once. Do they even realise a tank is built for that? That a part of the tank-role is to engage the enemy and brace for the first impact? Do they even realise that most enemies will pop their dailies as soon as they are engaged in a fight? Do they understand that this means that most enemies are at their strongest in the first few seconds of a fight and way more vulnerable after that period? No, I guess not... I'm sure most of them start turning pale when I bring up the words 'tactics' and 'mechanics' ...

In most cases the scenario of a dungeon run looks very similar: a careless rush with only one goal: getting to the end as soon as possible. As if every second counts.

I say a careless rush because they miss their goal only due to the way they run their dungeon. If they would run it in a less chaotic rushing way, and using the tactics the dungeon is designed around, they would finish the dungeon even faster. By working together and allowing everybody to fulfil their roles, a dungeon can be cleared pretty fast. Oh, and by the way, it's more fun for everybody then as well... But I guess that doesn't matter...
They rather are in the center of attention, rushing into a group of enemies, to die like flies. As a result the healer has to focus on them while he should be focussing on the tank. While it's the tank and healer their role to keep the group alive as a team... But how can they? How can they when the rest is acting like fools? DPS's don't use their sprint for in combat damage avoidance but to sprint to the enemies. They seem to want to be the first to hit them all the time. I can't think of any good reason why that would be a good thing. But hey, they almost all do it. Blind fury, a simple careless approach. Forcing the healer to change their focus, not allowing them to play their roles the way it should be.

A tank is slow, indeed. But he is designed to cope with the damage done by the engaged enemy. He should go in first and position the enemies so the dps forces can take their positions and pick their moment to attack very precisely . And not blindly rush into a fight, creating chaos and making it a mess and more difficult for everybody... If I would be in a real life situation with that kind of lunatics in my team, I'd shoot them right in the head, right there, right then. And let them not risk my life and get me killed.

A dungeon is a group instance. Most dungeons have a group configuration requirement. Why is that? Because it's designed for teamwork, to work together and play your role.

Being a tank or healer in PVE solo play doesn't really serve any real purpose. On the contrary: it's even a burden as most content is much more challenging compared to DPS classes. Yes I do have alts and yes I have a few lvl70 dps toons as well. I know what I'm talking about. Neverwinter is very DPS oriented, and it's the simple truth that the pre lvl70 content is very easy for any DPS class.

So why would someone want to play a tank or healer role then? To make a difference in a team! To do their job and support others in doing their job, to get stuff killed. To be the link in the chain. Not to run behind them and clean up the mess... Honestly, where's the fun in that? I fail to see it. Do they know that the support classes have buffs and other goodies to make them kill stuff even faster? And to make them shine on that scoreboard even more? Only if they waited a little longer and allowed the team to play their roles...

Yes you can run through a dungeon and gather all the enemies at the first gate. When you're overpowered. When you enter the cloak tower as a lvl70. Or when you enter a 1.6k il dungeon with a 3.5k + il. And that is sad. This game is poorly designed when it comes to dungeons, queue matching and tactics based roles. But that's the only situation when rushing through a dungeon is possible, when the team is overpowered. Then there's no need for roles, tactics or anything at all but damage to complete the dungeon. And that should be a team thing. Within your group of friends, guild or alliance. But never when there's random ppl involved. Or lower level characters.

I have seen low level toons in dungeons, barely meeting the requirements, rushing through. Of course they fail dramatically. Their build isn't overpowered and thus they run into a sudden death. Creating chaos, making the tank feel obsolete and forcing the healer to clean up their mess. They don't know any better. For all they care that's how the dungeons should be ran. That's how they 'learned' it. Because they saw others doing it too, successfully. Meaning they were carried by overpowered toons through that dungeon. And that's NOT how it's supposed to be.

As a tank I have other concerns than a dps or any other class. My build is designed to allow me to play my role as a tank. I'm putting power points and feat points into my build to support others and helping them to play their role. As any other build or class, the assigned points have to be carefully chosen. As a tank I should be able to rely on the group-formation, I should be able to put my faith in the hands of the team. I scratch your back if you scratch mine... but unfortunately I'm forced to change my build. I have to change my build to be more self-healing. Why? Because I know the healer will be forced to focus on the mess created by lack of team play. He won't be able to do his job and focus mainly on the tank who's keeping the team alive. All due to lack of role playing, the very goal of this game...

If I come across this kind of behaviour, I will abandon the instance. I will drop out and look for another queue, leaving you behind. I encourage all support classes to do the same and follow this example. Ditch them and let them behind. Maybe, just maybe they might learn there's more in this game than rushing like a headless chicken. Maybe they'll learn in time that there's even tactics involved in a dungeon and that the tank not only takes the damage but also determines the strategy and tactics. Tags (while debuffing) and position the enemy, determining the order of killing enemies. That the tank is also supposed to direct the enemies, together with the controllers... Anyway, the controller classes only acting as a dps is another issue in this game...

So are you short in tanks or support classes in general? Start acting as a team player and let them do their jobs. Let them boost your dps and take your damage. Allow them to play their role. If not: Hopefully you'll have to wait even longer to queue for a dungeon, not finding any tanks or healers...

Mod Edit: Removed/replaced many inflammatory remarks, name calling, and a censor filter evasion.
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• Options
    neverburnaclown#3112 neverburnaclown Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    Yeah, i'm just gonna play my game. Not a hill i'd want to die on.

You do you though.
  • Options
    ollybongo89#3420 ollybongo89 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Yeah i know how u feel being a tank gf, iv btw, getting to orcus and failing with pug groups is just a waste of time.
    Ive been blamed also seen healers blamed for other ppl dying after running in like rambo, being the last one standing at the boss and its always our fault cos they died, then getting kicked ha, yh right.
    Ill just stick to guild / alliance pre setup groups, 1st time successful runs.
  • Options
    wayne#8013 wayne Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    You say its a role playing game but you dont seem to be playing your role. On my GWF I deystroy everything as fast as possible, on my DC I am responsible for keeping everyone alive, healed, and buffed as much as I possibley can. When you assume the role of a tank you should be the first one to engage the enemy if you fail to get there first your playing your role wrong. Nothing bothers me more then waiting in front of mob while the tank is the last to get there, hell I even tank on my DC sometimes instead of waiting for the tank. All roles are valuable and have equal importance in making it through the dungeon as fast and safely as possible.

Mod Edit: Cleaned up response to inflammatory remarks.
    Wayne Whitex - Xbox account
    Lord White - 15.2k GWF
    The One - 12.2k DC
    Mystic Dawn - Guild
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I play many classes, including a slowly growing tank and a dc that is my 2nd main. Yeah sometimes (ok alot of time) I can't keep up on my gf tank because he's young and slow. If people die that's on them for rushing in before I can catch up. But I don't have so much of an ego as to not pick them up or leave the instance.

Mod Edit: Cleaned up response to inflammatory remarks.
  • Options
    mrmeatmrmeat Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    i would say it was the GWF or TR that charged ahead, aggroing the mobs,was the one 'playing their role wrong'
    the times ive been booted from group as a DC because two idiots decided to engage two different mob groups at the same time and 1 fool died whilst im healing the other.A team working together in sync is much better for all.let the tank grab the aggro,then the dps can get behind mobs for combat advantage for faster kills,fewer deaths,allowing my DC to keep the tank alive.
  • Options
    A gf is "one of the slowest" character types, plus the fact that not everyone has a legendary mountEven using ITF for the speed boost dont keep up with some ppl.

If ppl actually waited what a few sec for everyone to catch up or even better just go thru as a group "together" this would not be a problem.
    Tanks need the initial agro to swing the enemy around so every one els can mow them down from behind the enemy, if thats too difficult for you to wait a few sec then u deserve to die. So yeah jokes on you
  • Options
    wayne#8013 wayne Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    I completely agree with all of this. And maybe I didnt make myself perfectley clear, Im against DPS classes running first into mobs then dying and spamming for help. However if a DPS can succesfully stay upright while doing their job then whats the problem? My GWF is 3.9K IL and im experienced with using him so if I run into a mob first Ive done it before and came out alive, if i wait its because I know I cant survive. Sometimes the mobs get critical hits or I make an error with my rotation but if I die I IMMIEDIATLY release with no help spams as it takes away from everyone elses fun when running. As for most of the support classes complaints, there most likely only lower levels making general complaints all of these classes experience when not properly geared or built right. My DC never has troubles healing or buffing as just staying close to her generates buffs and heals but im 3.1K and built as well as it gets so I understand where these complaints can come from as I was not always this experienced. In short suck it up for a bit and learn how to play your class so that you can enjoy the game without complaint, we all experience annoying DPS that run ahead, die, then help spam. Simply ignore them and let them die, hopefully they will learn from their mistakes or leave the dungeon and let everyone else enjoy the game troll free! :)
    Wayne Whitex - Xbox account
    Lord White - 15.2k GWF
    The One - 12.2k DC
    Mystic Dawn - Guild
  • Options
    regizaki#8947 regizaki Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Even though I play a DPS character in this game. I've tanked before and I've played healing classes also. And I've noticed more times than not the DPS is problem child of the group more times than not. Even as a DPS player in this game sometimes I wish they remove the scoreboard lol. I always let the tank draw aggro and I simply go around killing enemies knowing that the tank is holding the aggro and staying with in range of the healer so I can stay alive. I commend you on this.
    <3 Shadow Pixies <3
  • Options
    gerverpandagerverpanda Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    The time you spend writing that wall of text, could have been time you spend tanking lol jk. Nah, seriously, if I feel I as a dps can take care of an enemy without the need to wait for a tank, then I will go ahead and do so. Even more when running with randoms. I only "properly" follow and support the role of other classes when I am running with a group I know. Would advise you try and enforce that when you aren't running with randoms. I do play a DC and recently an OP, and I see people go ahead of me all the time but I don't hate them for that, I just laugh and wait for them to make it back from their walk of shame, then drop a sarcastic healing on them :)

Anyways, I don't have problems with tanks, I love gf's, but I do hate wasting my time waiting for others, more when you are running and people keep falling behind to go grab identification scrolls, ranks 5, etc or are busy chatting with their guild or others or mailing, salvaging etc in the middle of a dungeon. Time is AD. Also you got to understand the struggle between sweaty dpsers, they won't wait for you if their 1st place on paingiver is been threaten
  • Options
    lanevosquadlanevosquad Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I will agree with this to a point.

In many instances, you are quite correct- many individuals are blind as to the 'needs of the whole rather than self'.
    But I'll play devil's advocate for a moment.
    There are very few 'Tanks' that play a tank-role. In fact, many tanks have a 'dps first, tank second' mentality. The same with pure DPS classes (and playing a DPS myself, it is indeed amusing watching other dpsers fall victim to their own shenanigans).

For me, personally, I run with a dual mindset. I don't know the potential of any tank that I end up pugging with. Since day one, that is the reason behind my personal 'never too much lifesteal' build. Let the Clerics focus on healing the tank, and the Tank do his job. At the same time, I also know that sometimes (ok rather alot of times) I've found tanks to be lacking in their aggro capacity (my HR has been running Lightning since Mod 6 before all the hype so I know the threat it generates) or sometimes the tank needs a moment to regain their health (in CN particularly).

I'm talking about the rushing attitude, teaching newbies the wrong things and make this game ill and roles obsolete.

This rings true for all classes. However, you can't teach someone to survive if they are not willing to learn. Nor can you teach someone the mechanics if they copy/paste other builds without any fundamental knowledge as to why certain things were chosen.

I'd like to run with you one of these days. Not often is my curiosity brought out when it comes to builds and playstyles.
    Legendary Adventurers
    1. Mistal Moonshadow (70 HR)
  • Options
    How can he tank when its down for maintenance lol
  • Options
    mrmeatmrmeat Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    3 lev 70's in Cloak Tower..no problem,run your little legs off. 2 lev 70's and a lev 18 trying to learn his role and the dungeon mechanics,getting booted cos he unable to keep up is a problem. Happened to my son last night. They made it worse by NOT killing the mobs as they charged thru,so my son got wiped twice,then they booted him. I understand time =AD etc but this roadrunner mentality isn't good for new players. Their should be a limit cap on level diffference for team members.
  • Options
    mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    I have 2 DPS and three support Characters all at or around the old 4K mark.
    I agree with the OP My main is an endgame GWF and the most frequent request I get is for the GF when guild groups are short of Tanks so I run that a lot.

I have a saying in the guild "this is why I dont PUG" Understanding a support characters mechanics is pretty important for survivability, if you don't understand How KV works (its not a bubble) or the GF shield when activated (cone of protection, positioning relevant to enemies etc) then your death is on you.
    I have learned over many encounters that as a Tank you need to advise the team on each and every run how this stuff works.
    Communication is key here, just because you have been turned blue does not mean you can all just stay forever in the red zone en masse and there will not be consequences (low geared toons with mediocre defense and deflect will drop the GF like a stone in these circs). The only solution to this is turn it off and listen to the whining.

My Ten Cents

• Options
    masterwolf56masterwolf56 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    I play a paladin and hate it when people run ahead of me in PuG groups. I stopped using the bubble because I'd rather have people learn to live without it. The paladin is probably the slowest character in the game. I am capable of running my own groups within my guild but I like to PuG to find new recruits. DPS die all the time even if they are maxed out. I rarely die from trash mobs but it does happen. Combat advantage from multiple mobs can drop you no matter how many hps you have. I tend to run up to those fools and jump on their bodies lol. I do pick them up though after they get embarrassed however.
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    I think there's a mind set among some players that the tank and healer are just keys that unlock access to the content and that is their "role".
    "You got me through the door, now bugger off while I play my game"

My current main is CW, my second is GF, so when I run my CW I understand the role of the GF. I see my job as herding the mobs into a nice little group for the GF to aggro, and then dance in and out AoE'ing the hell out of them.

The whole race to the end ignoring as many mobs as possible, is a flawed method unless you're a bunch of characters who could solo it if the option existed.
    One of my guilty pleasures as my GF is going on a work to rule if some GWF or TR has HAMSTER off to the door to the boss. I'll slowly plough my way through whatever I find leaving Speedy the option of either sucking it up and having to wait longer than if they had hung around and played the group game, or booting me and waiting for whoever takes my place to hopefully make it to the other end on their own.

To be honest, its very difficult to re-educate selfish people. Maybe we could concentrate on knocking some sense into the people who play DC and CW, and who wait till the mobs are nicely huddled round the Tank and then repel them across the map.
  • Options

As someone who plays a support toon I disagree with this mindset. Yes, they may run ahead etc, but that doesn't justify you leaving them in the dirt either.

Yeah.. it does. It tells me they don't give a fiddlers pluck whether the other people in the group can handle what they choose to ignore. That being the case, stuff them.
    If they want to dictate the pace a game runs at, toss off and get a group together first. Call it "The Race of The Super Tough Endgamers as they Obliterate the L43 monsters"

Being a twat and not entering the circle when you get there is a different kettle of fish. But if someone runs off leaving all the monsters they shouldn't moan if someone takes their time catching up and they end up having to wait. It's not complicated.

I only do sub 70 when coaching a new guild member these days, though I do miss that Frozen Heart or whatever its called. I really enjoyed that. I would say about 60 or 70% of the time we end up with a 70+ pugger, and most of them dash off and end up waiting after the inevitable vote to boot my guildie gets voted down by me.

• Options
    zacoria1405zacoria1405 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    I run a high level GF and fully agree with the OP's post. I now only run with members of my guild where everone knows how to play their classes and so I now fortunately seem to be able to avoid all of these problems. The main problem I used to come across was players complete obsession with topping the paingiver board above all else and then blaming the support classes for not healing them or taking the aggro while they were of course running miles ahead of the rest of the group.
    My advice is just run with friends or guildmates and let the random players constantly looking for support struggle on their own.
  • Options
    omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Sometimes I think that they need to get rid of the leader boards. My main is a buff/debuff DC, so I don't give a rat's patootie about how much damage I do, or how many enemies I have killed. But, the DPS toons have got to keep in range for me to do my job. If everyone scatters, who do I heal?

Was playing with three friends and a random tried to have me booted because I was not healing him enough. The truth being that he was the one running around and not playing as a team. Leader boards mean nothing if the group can't complete the objective.
  • Options
    This is the point the OP is making.
    The more people don't get it into their heads that running off on their own pisses other players off, particularly the "support" classes, the more likely it is those of us who have those characters that they stand in PE crying out for are going to ignore PUG play and go guild only.

Folk can argue and justify it all they want. The simple truth is that the more you treat Tanks and Healers like swipe cards for a security door, the fewer you are going to come across in PUG play.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I agree with thefabricant. My main is a 3.9k Pally (can't remember his new number yet lol).

I adjust my play style according to the needs/capability of the group. A well geared group means moving fast and tackling multiple mobs, a low geared group means doing them one at a time. If someone can't take being hit but runs ahead and dies then that's his problem - he can go back to the campfire and catch up.

However, I never abandon a run except where: (a) someone refusing to get in the circle (b) lots of attitude/rudeness in chat (c) someone keeps trying to votekick others.

I also play other classes so I have seen many instances where the tank (esp GF) is the main culprit for pushing the group ahead. They charge through mobs to the door but often the dps & healer are left behind trying to catch up - often dying in the process.

This of course means that these non-tank players sometimes get rushing tanks & sometimes stubborn, slow tanks that quit in a huff of ego halfway through. As such your efforts to 'teach' others are countered by other tanks.

Personally, I believe this is more of an ego-trip for you and my advice is; get over yourself.

Post edited by armadeonx on
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    vonscuzzmanvonscuzzman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I main a cleric and some of the most rewarding times are hanging with the tank and watching the carnage as the dps rushes forward to their doom
  • Options
    abelcoeurdacierabelcoeurdacier Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Totally agree with dimmax, i am gf on pc version, and all day i fight against this kind of players.
    Devs of this game should play tank or healer in few donjon to realise how bad the game is for them each days.
    If damage dealer was weaker, without life drain and their was immunity to control for monsters it should been possible to play. All ppl they will been not tank ,would stay behind waiting for him because if they would go alone they die and all group die.
    It was really fun to play FBI before nerf because ppl was waiting for u. Why? Monsters was giants immunise to control and because of frost damage = one shoot.
  • Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I find there are typically two scenarios of those that run ahead of the tank. They either have the gear to do so or they don't know any better.

I will pick them up once and the second time they get to do the walk of shame, the long work hurts their personal dps pride so they tend to stay with the group after that.

TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options
    You know how you can mute players who annoy you...

What if you could choose to deny buffs and heals to group members who got on your nerves?
    I've known loads of players in P&P and LRP who refuse to heal/buff bellends.

Why not in Neverwinter?

I'm backing slowly away from the oncoming storm...
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

What if you could choose to deny buffs and heals to group members who got on your nerves?

What are heals? Is that the thing clerics used to do before AA? ;)
  • Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited August 2017

What are heals? Is that the thing clerics used to do before AA? ;)
    Heals are something the group I was with today thought they could do without and decided to act EXACTLY as the OP described during an eToS run I was on. Now normally I'm more inclined to agree with @thefabricant and @armadeonx that you should stick with the team and do your best to keep them alive. What cemented my decision to drop my 'team' like three-week old dirty laundry was when the deeps ran ahead to the stalagmite crossing, leaving the tank and me (the heals) behind, and triggered the phase spiders. Quite naturally they tried to fight their way out of it, but they started dropping and one of the deeps decided to use a racial slur directed toward my character because I wasn't there to heal them - My character is a drow by the way so I don't need to go into details on which slur this person used.

Now normally, I can tolerate some HAMSTER (like running far ahead of the support folks), but the fact that both the behavior and the harassment continued to the end of the dungeon and the rest of the party neither spoke up to censure, nor bothered to initiate a kick of this person, told me all I needed to know about my 'team'. You can complain and give me HAMSTER in chat on how I may suck as a healer (I'd disagree but that's still fair to criticize and grief in my mind), but when you inject race and gender into your criticism, you're left to fend for yourself. Have fun waiting for the next healer or tank to pop into the queue and run all the way to the end. Yep! I left them right at the door. Bottom line: Folks who chose a support role should try and suck it up and be there for the teammates that ARE trying to run the dungeon properly, but if a party member's (and possibly the party's) actions become egregious don't be afraid to cut ties with them. My two cents.

Mod Edit: Applied censor filter to a word not caught.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac