What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Upcoming Maintenances [PC/Xbox/PS4]

Comments

• Options
    wickedwar1ock#4166 wickedwar1ock Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    One thing to remember with this game is that on console every Tuesday is maintenance. Today is just an extended version for more things they are doing and according to what I seen and read You can expect it to be down for about 8 Hours. I am eastern time so most likely it wont be back until around 5pm my time. You can follow Neverwinter on Twitter to see when it will go for maintenance and times and also the Facebook they have it will let you know as well.
    Wicked War1ock
  • Options
    omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User

An 8 hour maintenance in EU prime that in no way enhances the game.... classy... (not).

The company is based in the US Pacific time zone. Everything can't rotate around the EU.
  • Options
    My guess is that the hosting company is replacing a blade or something. This can take time. They have to replicate to the blade and then run sustained tests to make sure it can handle normal / severe server conditions. I assume it will be quicker than 8 hours. We shall see.
  • Options
    wulf#5119 wulf Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I get that the regular maintenance day and time has been chosen because it is statistically going to impact the least number of players. Problem is, you're impacting the SAME players EVERY week. Now, for me personally it's no big deal I'll just find something else to do, but it's a bit unfair to do it to the same players every week whilst others never have to. I'd recommend keeping the same day, but use a rotating schedule of 4 different times so that any group of players only has to miss time once a month.
    As for all the misconceptions I see here about what cryptic is/is not obligated to do, let's remember that not one player is in any way forced to put a single dime into this game. If you spend money it's your choice. They don't have to tell you anything about the updates, they don't even have to tell you when they're going to be. The fact that they tell you even this much is a good thing, so suck it up and be grateful. Don't like it? Nobody's forcing you to keep playing.
  • Options
    wickid#3619 wickid Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I am little wicked one, one will see me in WOD a lot. I really love this game, it helps me to be away from all the complaining and belly aching in the outside world. this is where countries can come together and play a video game without politics, without bias, without judgment. I may get a chuckle from some there, but we could make it happen. my old eyes have seen a lot in this world, please don't see what I have seen. stop the lag.
    any dragon run is a good dragon run
  • Options
    jda#8242 jda Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    It is obvious they are updating the Log in server, it takes time, have patience, I know that doesn't help, but sometimes these things have to be done, latency has been horrendous since mod 11.5 especially in instances, could be a hardware upgrade, if it is there are procedures have to be followed or it will be a nightmare. Not making excuses just trying to let you know it is something that has to be done, one day not killing anyone.
  • Options
    melgar#1414 melgar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    My companion crab can't walk correctly like before!! 2500 zen for a crab that can't walk like a real one.. fix it plz
  • Options
    Looks like the host is back up and they have moved on to their regular maintenance. II say this because the launcher updated and went through patching process, though there was no patch, but the login is down as it would be during normal maintenance. Not too much longer I assume!
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Today's maintenance is scheduled to last 8 hours on all 3 platforms. There is no patch today.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Come on people, even hamsters need to go to the veterinarian every once in a while. Clean the cages, spray WD-40 on the wheels, change the bedding, these things take time, especially if the person before the team bringing the hamsters has kittens...the wait could be...endless...
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • Options
    tetesptetesp Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    kreatyve said:

Today's maintenance is scheduled to last 8 hours on all 3 platforms. There is no patch today.

Omg today is my free day and i cannot play. Holy HAMSTERS...

Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filter.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • Options
    muckingfuppetmuckingfuppet Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I don't care if the servers are down for 24 hours as long as it improves how the game runs
  • Options
    muckingfuppetmuckingfuppet Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    > @whomstved12345#7917 said:
    > I posted this on Twitter and didn't get a response so I'll leave it here. First off, as consumers of your product, we have a right to know why we are being denied access to your product for so long, especially since the last two week's maintenance schedules were rather short in duration compared to today. You don't have a right to hide things from us as we, the consumers, consume your product and are actually puzzled as to why 8 hours is necessary for a simple server shutdown. With something like WoW I could understand, they're working with software from 2005, but unless you're rebuilding the entire game from the ground up or something like that 8 hours without an explanation is ridiculous. Maintaining any MMO server, especially with modern day tech and the amount of manpower an average IT company has, should be nowhere near 8 hours.

>

> So I would ask that you please, to keep a point of understanding and communication open with your consumers, and tell us why exactly it takes so long to maintain your servers.

>

> Thank you. And have a nice David

they have already told you a reason, it's for extended server maintenance, if it takes 24 hours I wouldn't care as long as it made the game run better. you see everyone complains about how bad the game runs and when they try to do something about it like they are now everyone complains as well they can't win
  • Options
    akoran#4212 akoran Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    why are the servers down?
  • Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2017

-issues not being able to target the beholder after the event is over.

-game crashes when zoning in and out of zones

Would be nice.

LOL that bug has been in that quest since day one, when they released it and they haven't fixed it yet.

That was more then a year ago. So don't get your hopes up.

But I agree that, that would be nice.

*EDIT*

What I would do though, if I were in the business of providing an online service, would be that I would utilize the playtest servers for all maintenance needs. By having the latest release on a second server B and by keeping a backup of the players data ready to switch between the main server A and main server B. When the switch is over server A would become the new playtest server, until it is time to go live with the next version, where they would switch roles again. But that's just me. Utilizing already existing servers more efficiently, to keep downtown to an absolute minimum. And through that generate more profit in the long run.
  • Options
    hasil#2563 hasil Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Google is your friend. Or the other threads here. Or you could read the note that appears in red when you launch the client. Or check their twitter. Or one of the online sites that tracks server outages with 50,000 posts explaining this.

Okay okay I'll tell you: maintenance - 2.5 hours left.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    wulf#5119 said:

I get that the regular maintenance day and time has been chosen because it is statistically going to impact the least number of players. Problem is, you're impacting the SAME players EVERY week.

Pretty sure it is chosen because it is the time zone's regular "day" schedule.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    naoqueroforumnaoqueroforum Member Posts: 225 Arc User

they have already told you a reason, it's for extended server maintenance, if it takes 24 hours I wouldn't care as long as it made the game run better. you see everyone complains about how bad the game runs and when they try to do something about it like they are now everyone complains as well they can't win

This time they stated it isn't them trying to make the game run better or anything like that. If anything gets better or worse after this maintenance the credits should go to the host company. All you could blame/praise cryptic for this time is choosing a bad/good host.
  • Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User

Come on people, even hamsters need to go to the veterinarian every once in a while. Clean the cages, spray WD-40 on the wheels, change the bedding, these things take time, especially if the person before the team bringing the hamsters has kittens...the wait could be...endless...

WD-40 is love.
    WD-40 is life.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Why do people post on the forums without reading the forums? No one knows.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    akoran#4212 akoran Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    dude any time the servers are down it says maintenance, i want a more specific explanation as to whats going on
  • Options
    omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited May 2017

What I would do though, if I were in the business of providing an online service, would be that I would utilize the playtest servers for all maintenance needs. By having the latest release on a second server B and by keeping a backup of the players data ready to switch between the main server A and main server B. When the switch is over server A would become the new playtest server, until it is time to go live with the next version, where they would switch roles again. But that's just me. Utilizing already existing servers more efficiently, to keep downtown to an absolute minimum. And through that generate more profit in the long run.

Problem is this is a Free to Play game. Just because the servers would not go down as often does not mean people would buy more. Income on this game is generated by IAPs. Of course, I guess they could charge for DLC, but then it would not be a Free to Play game anymore.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Well the question has been answered so I am going to close this down. :)

Servers should be up in another 2 hours if all goes according to plan.
  • Options
    Looks like their time was accurate. Still down, no complaints here. Oh well, just meant work was more boring than usual, lol.
  • Options
    randomdigits#2166 randomdigits Member Posts: 700 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    This week lots of companies are doing the emergency WannaCrypt security patching. Given that it's a an emergency patching you don't have a normal flexibility of doing gradual rollout, e.g. patching server-by-server, or game-by-game - which would have allowed no or minimal downtime.

It's also possible that the hosting provider wants to patch a lot of servers and other networking hardware at once. Or perhaps they are attempting a bigger change - e.g. migrating hosting servers to Windows Server 2016 and want to reserve some time for rollback if that upgrade fails.
    Ana Taletreader (CW) / Friend of Casual Gamers
  • Options
    vapix#1626 vapix Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    > @whomstved12345#7917 said:
    > I posted this on Twitter and didn't get a response so I'll leave it here. First off, as consumers of your product, we have a right to know why we are being denied access to your product for so long, especially since the last two week's maintenance schedules were rather short in duration compared to today. You don't have a right to hide things from us as we, the consumers, consume your product and are actually puzzled as to why 8 hours is necessary for a simple server shutdown. With something like WoW I could understand, they're working with software from 2005, but unless you're rebuilding the entire game from the ground up or something like that 8 hours without an explanation is ridiculous. Maintaining any MMO server, especially with modern day tech and the amount of manpower an average IT company has, should be nowhere near 8 hours.
    >
    > So I would ask that you please, to keep a point of understanding and communication open with your consumers, and tell us why exactly it takes so long to maintain your servers.
    >
    > Thank you. And have a nice day.

Actually, you are wrong. We do NOT have the right to know whats going on.

1. The game is Free To Play
    2. If we PAID for monthly subscriptions, yes, then we would be able to know.
    3. Since we do not pay an monthly subscriptions.
    4. Being VIP dosen't mean that you are eligable to know whats going on behind the scenes.
    5. Your statement is invalid.

Next time you start being a big mouth towards Arc/cryptic think before you talk
  • Options
    polkolpolkol Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    currenty recieving a 7185mb patch on PC...
  • Options
    ennileahennileah Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    > @lyaise said:
    > "In order to avoid bringing down the game for the majority of a day....."
    >
    > lol it is offline 2pm - 10pm today (uk), I'd say that wiped out the day.

How? Can you not play after 10pm lol. Many at work still for the first 3 hours of it anyway....
This discussion has been closed.