Install Arc
Options

Burnadin - The DPS Devotion Paladin

124»

Comments

• Options
    veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ ‫‎ 
    Post edited by veywiil#8685 on
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • Options
    Little bit behind the curve here, but I think the guide is mod 13 ready. Main changes were me not being lazy and updating the gear section to actually follow the traditional BiS and cheaper options model.

I did have one question right off the bat for anyone who knows: I don't remember the stacking rules on the Primal Rings. Will the passive bonus apply twice if they are both the same ring like Primal Assault?
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Nice updates @veywiil. Thanks again for putting this together and I can appreciate that keeping the guide updated can be challenging and time consuming. Not to nitpick but do you have any opinion on the mod 12/13 boons at all? I kinda figured Tyrant's Terror would be the standard option with Overgrown being the second choice after locking up TT, but any advice on Soul Syphon on a burnadin vice Lingering Curse? I might have missed it in the guide.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Do you have any opinion on the mod 12/13 boons at all? I kinda figured Tyrant's Terror would be the standard option with Overgrown being the second choice after locking up TT, but any advice on Soul Syphon on a burnadin vice Lingering Curse? I might have missed it in the guide.

Not in the guide yet as a I am still playing around with options, I really hate the Chult capstone boons, they are all really terrible options from the way I like to play. Soul Syphon seems to be the 'best' where best is choosing from 4 garbage options.
    Edit: Yes, you are correct with Tyrant's Terror and Overgrown options.
  • Options
    wadewilson#3944 wadewilson Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    oh my god!! very usefull guide! i like a lot! i havn't other word, thank you!!
  • Options
    replayosreplayos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just coming back to the game after a long break and I'm loving the concept behind this build. How critically important is human for a race? Would drow or half orc make me largely less useful as a burnadin?
  • Options
    rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    replayos said:

Just coming back to the game after a long break and I'm loving the concept behind this build. How critically important is human for a race? Would drow or half orc make me largely less useful as a burnadin?

I'm partial to drow as a Burnadin.....
  • Options
    feioso123feioso123 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Race is pretty much irrelevant for a Burnadin, brings minimal changes, nothing game changing...with that being said, Burnadins are pretty much dead at this point...it's still fun to use every now and then (ex.: trash mobs between bosses in cr/tong, etc...), but it feels and is lagging behind further and further with each new mod.
  • Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    I run a drow burnadin myself, but agree with feioso. Burning hot is only good up to a certain item level and if the end-gamers take a devo into the party its usually to use bane/bless to buff the DPS and the rare heal top offs, not the damage. Still, I'd highly recommend devos invest in the BG/HW boons regardless their role within party as the synergy with our healing abilities aren't found with the other Dread Ring and Storm King boons. My two coppers.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    EDIT: Adding comments about race decisions. All races are valid, although I'd recommend Drow/Human if you don't have either of the DragonBorn races unlocked, if you do pick one of those with preference to Metallic.
    feioso123 said:

Burnadins are pretty much dead at this point...it's still fun to use every now and then (ex.: trash mobs between bosses in cr/tong, etc...), but it feels and is lagging behind further and further with each new mod.

If you don't mind I'd actually like to address a few points inside of here. Think of this post as a status update on Burnadin.

I commented on this in my guide since the first release. Since the early/mid game Burnadin is focused around flat and non-critting sources of damage such as BG/HW and of course AoC, Burnadin was meant to be one of those builds that worked well early to mid but fell off later due to much larger HP pools and burst damage. Early on in it's conception I thought that Burnadin might be able to go a DPS path with High power/Crit spamming DJ and RA for damage while using BG/HW mechanics for added damage. This, while isn't terrible, is also not close to optimal in later group content such as TONG.

Thus Baneadin slowly became meta, which built off of some mechanics that both traditional Healadins as well as Burnadins but added a heavy influence of support to the build. I didn't anticipate this originally due to our lack luster nature of buffs/debuffs. This build/meta became a lot more prevalent in CoDG, which also wasn't out at the time of original release.

I fully support both Burnadin and Baneadin. I see it more as a sliding scale for devotion paladins. As you initially level up, especially for those who are newer to the game and don't have a main over 12k IL for example, Burnadin can be incredibly useful and valuable. As you continue to increase item level though you will notice the drop off in damage, and a swap over to Baneadin is a better endgame group option.

I'd like to thank you for actually bringing this point up, I think this is important to reiterate for those who are starting fresh/new.

tl;dr
    This was sort of expected, but came a little sooner than I had originally anticipated, and also the support direction was personally not the expected area for endgame. Whether Burnadin is dead is all a matter of perspective. If you are above 14-15k (which a majority of the frequent forum posters are). Then yes, Burnadin for all intents is dead.