test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

load times increased + graphics failing

erutluverutluv Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Occasionally areas will take a longer to load than usual(30 seconds vs 2-3 seconds). Environmental graphics take some time to load even after the map has loaded, some characters look as if they were pulled straight out of roblox because of low poly while loading, certain particles and textures appear as boxes. Even the stuff on the UI doesn't load properly sometimes, and opening up windows such as inventory will sometimes be completely black with just item quantity numbers visible.

At first I thought this was my SSD failing but I've tried other games today for a few hours and they all seem to be working just as they have been. Not exactly sure when this started happening but I'm pretty sure it is as of yesterday. I also just updated my GPU drivers today and it seemingly exacerbated the problem.

I did a reinstall of the game with no success, tried verifying the game cache before that and was also unsuccessful. I'm not even running the game at max settings even though I have done that a few weeks ago with smooth performance. I'm sure my computer is more than capable.

So what's the issue?

GPU: GeForce 970
CPU: Intel I5-6600k
8GB ram
Running on Windows 10

Comments

• ruxtehdyruxtehdy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    i've been struggling wit these issues for about a year. the only thing that has worked for me was turning off on demand patching in the Launcher. this resulted in what seems to be the entire game being downloaded onto the hd, but the textures nonsense is gone and i can finally participate in combat again.
  • sobacsobac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 440 Arc User
    Happen to me from time to time too. Anyways, some slow loads are linked to an initial loading/creating of the instance. A good example is SH. If no one is there, game servers try to shut it down to free some resources/CPU load i suppose, so if you are the first one to load your SH, this first load will take quite more time than the load time for the next player that enters just after you. Game engine is old and all those visual improvements they were adding last years... just not well optimized.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    sobac said:

Happen to me from time to time too. Anyways, some slow loads are linked to an initial loading/creating of the instance. A good example is SH. If no one is there, game servers try to shut it down to free some resources/CPU load i suppose, so if you are the first one to load your SH, this first load will take quite more time than the load time for the next player that enters just after you. Game engine is old and all those visual improvements they were adding last years... just not well optimized.

Something very similar seems to happen with quest instances that are not actively being run (old content, or daily content on a day it wasn't offered), as though the server just takes longer to call up resources when you're the first person in a while to ask for them.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • sobacsobac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    As for slow texture loading and similar stuff, read becky's comment here:
    http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/comment/12941959/#Comment_12941959
    Just get used to close and reopen NVW each 2-3 hours max. Will depend on your HW and it may take less or more hours to textures start glitching.

PD: low free RAM might trigger this too, especially if you have "reduced file streaming" activated in Advanced options.