test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When is Mac Compatibility coming

robertfruinrobertfruin Member Posts: 10 Arc User
I have been playing this game for many years and have always played it on a mac, via Wine. I need to use macs for Audio work and it was always my saving grace that I could get this game to run in Wine. As you know, that is no longer a possibility with this System Requirements update and it has shaken me to the core. I am not in the position to just go Pick up a gaming computer but will Terribly miss this game. And after some research, I actually found a lot of people that are like me, stuck with using mac and wanting to play but cannot. I know a lot of people that use macs and would like to play this game and it really saddens me that I can't even bring it up to them nor play it myself with such an expensive computer. There is a WHOLE new player base that would come in from releasing Mac compatible version. OR MAYBE EVEN RELEASING UPDATE ALLOWING WINE TO WORK EASILY ??? There are some tutorials but they're all very specific to the time they were posted and most do not work anymore and I know a handful of people that gave up even trying to Play this game. This is such a tragic time it's forcing me to make a post about it, which I never ever do. PLEASE, Someone look into what could be benefitted from making such an awesome move that many other game companies have not made.

Comments

• mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    Since it hasn't happened and the game is years old, I'm guessing never.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    My personal thoughts on this (see, I'm not posting in official moderator orange) is that there aren't enough Mac users who play Neverwinter to justify the resources needed to support it. That would be my guess.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    The question you should ask really is when will Wine be upgraded to support the new HW specs.

I agree with Kreatyve that the gamer market on Mac probably is too small to fund the a heavy investment of making a Mac client.
    There is a reason why most games do not support Mac.
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    Since they removed Mac support from Star Trek Online last year I highly doubt we will ever see Mac support for Neverwinter! :(
    @samaka#2511
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Wine support for DX11 appears to be implemented and some users report successfully running STO. Wine is not officially supported by Cryptic, so you're on your own if you go down that path.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/5tpghw/psa_for_linuxmac_users_sto_dx11_now_works_under/
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • duryntedurynte Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Do a search on the net for: "How to install Linux on Mac"
    Basically:
    1. Partition your hard drive (I used 5 partitions).
    2. Get a Linux Disk Image on a USB Stick.
    3. Install Linux from there on a free partition.

There are some more obstacles to overcome, but the required tools are available and documented. Also, there is audio software available for Linux.