test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's the best artifact set for dps CW pve?

donnythdonnyth Member Posts: 122 Arc User
Best set for pve dps CW?
Secrets of the Ring ID: nw-dt25qalqy

Comments

• Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    No set bonus.

You generally want to mix and match pieces of gear, such as mixing the Black Ice Cloak/Losty cloak with a Valindra belt, and then picking an artifact with good stats.

We talked about the viability of the Orcus set in this thread.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1225527/demon-lords-immortality-set-viable-for-cw

• Options
    donnythdonnyth Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

No set bonus.

You generally want to mix and match pieces of gear, such as mixing the Black Ice Cloak/Losty cloak with a Valindra belt, and then picking an artifact with good stats.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1225527/demon-lords-immortality-set-viable-for-cw

Wow really? So guess cw's are left out. Tnx cryptic ...
    Secrets of the Ring ID: nw-dt25qalqy
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Actually, you should get Valindra set... Unless you're short on Resistance Ignored... Val gives Recovery and Life Steal instead of Arm Pen from Lost Neck and Arti... No idea why people keep suggesting otherwise and make you lose a set bonus, and some very good stats, especially for a CW.
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    Actually, you should get Valindra set... Unless you're short on Resistance Ignored... Val gives Recovery and Life Steal instead of Arm Pen from Lost Neck and Arti... No idea why people keep suggesting otherwise and make you lose a set bonus, and some very good stats, especially for a CW.

Most CWs sit around 4k Arp with the losty neck, val belt, and whatever artifacts. This is 2k below the arp cap, which is fine for most of the time when we have bonding up, but during long boss battles, like FBI, you dont always have bonding up, and you want to have at least some arp so you aren't completely useless when bonding isnt up. You don't need to be exactly at 60%, but you don't want to be running around at 20% when bonding is down.​​
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    edited December 2016

Most CWs sit around 4k Arp with the losty neck, val belt, and whatever artifacts. This is 2k below the arp cap, which is fine for most of the time when we have bonding up, but during long boss battles, like FBI, you dont always have bonding up, and you want to have at least some arp so you aren't completely useless when bonding isnt up. You don't need to be exactly at 60%, but you don't want to be running around at 20% when bonding is down.​​
    I don't ever see bonding down on me... I have only 300 Arm Pen on me and doing fine... I did mention "Unless you're short on Resistance Ignored"...

And, 6k isn't the 'cap'. There are various sources for Arm Pen, not just stats... Losing the lostmauth pieces will result in a loss of 1530 Arm Pen, so, going by your numbers, they still have 2470 which is 25% Resistance Ignored not counting other sources, which as you put it, is safe.
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    -
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited December 2016

I don't ever see bonding down on me... I have only 300 Arm Pen on me and doing fine... I did mention "Unless you're short on Resistance Ignored"...

And, 6k isn't the 'cap'. There are various sources for Arm Pen, not just stats... Losing the lostmauth pieces will result in a loss of 1530 Arm Pen, so, going by your numbers, they still have 2470 which is 25% Resistance Ignored not counting other sources, which as you put it, is safe.

This is all splitting hairs for no reason.

The set bonus from the Valindra set is worthless and the recovery is pretty worthless for a DPS CW (you should be running in a party with a DC/OP and have Spell Twisting). The lifesteal is alsoworthless as you can get enough just from bondings and boons. Either way it'll work out about the same. Most people stuck with the horn/neck because it doesn't matter.

There's also the possibility that the upcoming changes to companion gear could leave us in a situation where we do need that arp.
    Post edited by urabask on
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    voidgiftvoidgift Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 286 Arc User
    I really try to keep my armpen as low as possible, cause once my bonding pet strikes, armpen is through the roof anyways. I never noticed downtime of bonding in FBI, but it could be I just didn't pay enough attention.
    With dreams to be a king, first one should be a man.

Rise to POWER with <House of Power>.

The Exterminator - (NW-DLNXF3BGG)
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    voidgift said:

I really try to keep my armpen as low as possible, cause once my bonding pet strikes, armpen is through the roof anyways. I never noticed downtime of bonding in FBI, but it could be I just didn't pay enough attention.

Downtime in FBI is mostly from losing your companions to various bugs.

Technically you should be using a ring of brutality (depending on whether or not you have a companion that can keep the bonus up) too so you shouldn't be capped on arp just from your companion and boons.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    Yea.. I know... I'm still running with my obsolete paranoid delution with loyal avenger gear. I just haven't found the motivation to upgrade it, yet. It's gonna cost me a few millions to upgrade the right companion and switch enchants.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    urabask said:

This is all splitting hairs for no reason.

The set bonus from the Valindra set is worthless and the recovery is pretty worthless for a DPS CW (you should be running in a party with a DC/OP and have Spell Twisting). The lifesteal is alsoworthless as you can get enough just from bondings and boons. Either way it'll work out about the same. Most people stuck with the horn/neck because it doesn't matter.

There's also the possibility that the upcoming changes to companion gear could leave us in a situation where we do need that arp.
    Well, if you put it that way, nothing is ever important :p
    voidgift said:

Yea.. I know... I'm still running with my obsolete paranoid delution with loyal avenger gear. I just haven't found the motivation to upgrade it, yet. It's gonna cost me a few millions to upgrade the right companion and switch enchants.

I just don't like UD rings on companions...
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I'm not worried about Arm Pen. I will have around 5K from gear, insignia, and 1 artifact. Once I get my boons and get the artifact to max level my resistance ignored will be around 59% give or take. This allowed me to focus my enchantments on other stats.

I'm using the Valindra set just for the extra 15% control resistance and I got the artifact on the cheap when compared to other artifacts on the Auction House.

The Valindra Belt gives a bonus to Int and Cha, both needed for a good CW DPS crit build. The set adds to Crit, recovery and Power, again stats that will boost your DPS.

If you gear is not focused on arm pen than you have to select enchantment or artifacts that contain those stats and when that happens you lose the artifact bonus sets.

• Options
    Why control resistance? Can't think of one place it is needed.

• Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    donnyth said:

rjc9000 said:

No set bonus.

Wow really? So guess cw's are left out. Tnx cryptic ...
    Valindra's SET is very nice for Control Wizard's because of the SET bonus you gain 10% & 15% of Control & Control Resistence which is a very NICE bonus so I would suggest you RETHINK what the person above claim's... I understand their may be some Racial trait's that a few have or other Active Companion Bonus that 'may' make it possibly wiser for them to mix Artifact Gear as suggested above which 'could' be why he's suggesting what he did? For example some Elves gain control resistance as a racial trait and it does a little more than just help you resist offensive abilities used by Wizard's, Cleric's and a few other classes in addition to yes even Demon's not only in PvE but also PvP.

Still I'd generally THINK for the vast majority of people Many of the Artifact & Artifact Gear 3 Piece set bonus are generally in 'most' cases desirable for most. :)
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Nope...sorry...when you are looking to DPS, the best set bonus (currently) is no set bonus. @strathkin I know that you may be new to this whole CW thing, so please do not take this wrong, but those that are NOT NEW TO THIS CW THING, do know what they are talking about, and control is just dead in most every part of this game, and where it is not, we kill the mobs too fast to control them.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    niadan said:

Nope...sorry...when you are looking to DPS, the best set bonus (currently) is no set bonus. @strathkin I know that you may be new to this whole CW thing, so please do not take this wrong, but those that are NOT NEW TO THIS CW THING, do know what they are talking about, and control is just dead in most every part of this game, and where it is not, we kill the mobs too fast to control them.

Facts and evidence?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @mamalion1234

Really Dude???

Tell me what you can control in MSVA or FBI?

Tell me how wasting your time trying to build up said control helps your DPS?.....Which I think was the point of the question.

Why don't you answer your own retort....Show me Facts and Evidence that building for control will increase your DPS in End Game.

Who is it that YOU seem to be able to "Control to Death" that no one else can?

While you are standing there "controlling" some low level mob in mid air, I will be at the door waiting for your @ss to catch up with the group that is trying to zone in to the Boss Fight.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    niadan said:

I'm certainly not new to the CW and it's always seeing someone trying to pick a fight, yet still I try to provide a more calm and balanced approach and will support my arguments with logic or reasoning. I also think you're statement trying to cast me down as a NEWB having never played or been involved in the community is incorrect. Now having said that...

I will agree Control is NOT where it need's to be and Oppressor could use a buff. Another Wizard on the FORUM has been pushing for some enhancements being MADE to OPPRESSOR for some time, and in the last 2 months has renewed her calls for Changes to that Paragon Feat Path as it relates to the two 4th and 5th feats currently available--so it's mostly limited to those dedicated to committing to Oppressor path who earn at least the 4th or 5th feat.

Still there is nothing wrong with a SET BONUS that provides an EXTRA bonus you'd otherwise not receive short of obtaining it via another mean like thru a companion or racial benefit. Now I started by saying the Valindra set bonus is good not bad and I stand behind that statement which is certainly far better than nothing as your suggest; however, in the second paragraph I also referred to all set bonus offered as surely their is one you can find that works best for you. When you state that swapping a single cloak or even an artifact at the cost of eliminating set bonus I'd find that very hard to believe. Even changing an Artifact at Mythic might change the overall value offered by one or two attributes of either 1000 / 500. Now consider this FACT that some more senior Guild boon's can provide anywhere from 1000-8000 Power or Armor Pen along with others (Based upon Guild Hall Rank) depending on what you choose those easily make up way more than those much smaller 2 smaller values of 1000 or perhaps 500 your attributing to changing out a single artifact or even smaller values for a cloak. Furthermore with a Rare or Very Rare Augment Companion especially if it has 1-3 lessor Bonding Runestones (Rank 7) and far better if it's much higher ones along with some Personalized Ring, Belts, Neck pieces which you can still CRAFT even if you have no LOYAL companion gear can also still 'easily' boost various other attributes like Power, Crit, Armor Pen, Defense, Lifesteal, Movement depending on the enchantments equipped into the gear by a further 4000-7500 or more. Yet you argue changing an Single Artifact (when there's 3 you free to change without the limitations imposed by a desirable set bonus) or even how one cloak might have a diverse impact on your ability to fulfill your role be it Control, Damage, Buff/Debuff is I think completely unfair. Furthermore if you don't like the bonus Valindra set offer's then find one that works best for your racial trait's, class, and the role you're trying to provide to your party. There's no reason you can't have control/control resistance and even more with Sun Elves or a few other Racial Characteristics along with Artifact SET, and even some Companions that further the control / resistance benefits more than doubling the benefit offered by Valindra. :)

Our Helm Guild of the Alliance is a Rank 20 Guild Hall and Very Highly Ranked in the PvP Community; however I'll let reader review all the information and then consider what they like to do.

I'll briefly add for those curious few about my reference to companions to look some up both on the Zen Store &/or Auction House as some are available one or the other locations. A rare augment Companion Gargoyle labelled Watler who is an Augmente. Chicken is an EPIC companion that can be found or one of two possible EPIC companions found in Chicken Egg or in some lockboxes. Black Ioun Stone is a EPIC Augment companion available. For those who are looking to specialize in Control there is an EPIC Will-O-Wisp Companion who's Active bonus is one of two that can further enhance Valindra's set bonus even further with an active bonus of 25% control resistance & 15% control. That's not mentioning the Contankerous Mage increasing your control by 15%. :) Some may even wish to search for Nostura's Companion Pack's. <3
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Sorry for painting you as a newbie.

On the topic of "what is the best PVE DPS set" The best set recommended by the best PVE DPS FOCUSED CWs will be mixed set no bonus for all the reasons pointed out in this thread...which happens to be about "What is the best PVE DPS SET".

Any VETERAN CW will agree.

With that said....to each their own.
  • Options
    PS there is also nothing wrong with a set bonus that lets say helps you gain gold faster...but like the control, is useless to PVE DPS, and would certainly not be considered BEST by any DPS CW in PVE.
  • Options
    ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    im thinking of running an imperial set on my mof thaum cw, anybody have any experience with it while using the daily power feat that adds fire damage debuff?
    im actually the gwf carry
  • Options
    niadan said:

I don't see your point. Care to compare in what way your 'no set bonus' provides more DPS than Valindra set, assuming I'm at 60%+ RI irrespective of the Neck/Belt/Artifact @niadan?
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It means you are built suboptimally elsewhere. Which is fine, and as someone else mentioned in this thread, is splitting hairs. The point of this Thread was about the best DPS set for pve. Unfortunately we do not have a DPS set bonus on our useless control (for PVE) CW set.
  • Options
    raydrootraydroot Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 110 Arc User
    IMO for DPS mixed set LOL neck, Int belt w/ Human as race & 5 pts in learned spell caster gives a nice bonus to DPS. This works well for my build. air archon r12 bondings, 100+ percent crit chance.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    niadan said:

As someone who heals and tanks I like running with a CW that is able to help a bit with large crowds by freezing enemies.

As a CW running etos with 3K+ groups the freezing allows the other DPS to be up close and personal without the worry of being 1 shotted by a spider. When I tanked and healed with a 3K+ groups I have seen spiders one shot even a 4K DPS. So tell me and others who are playing a CW as a controller how controlling does not exist, please?

When I run content I would state that about 50%+ of the time adds are frozen allowing all players to do damage without he worry of being killed.

On bosses, freezing the adds helps the tank and the rest of the group out. You must be a very NEW player to MMOs and not understand how controlling works and how it can benefit the group. 2 seconds of an add not attacking can be the difference between a dead tank or a full healed tank or a dead healer vs one that does that clutch heal.

Controlling is happening in Neverwinter. I thought wow, these experienced players are telling me there is not controlling. Well, I can say first hand that when running with a properly gear CW that can control, it makes runs smoother. I'm glad there are players out there willing to give up some damage to be a group player in a game that is designed around group play vs. scoreboard chasing.

The @strathkin stated the Valindra's is a good set for a CW. The neck gives Power, Crit and Recovery. The waist increase CHA and INT along with an increase in Crit, Power and Recovery. The artifact increase Power, Life Steal and adds to your ability to control along with bonus to your control resistance. Seeing that the most sought after defensive stat for a CW is Life Steal I see no issue with the Valindra set.

niadan said:

It means you are built suboptimally elsewhere. Which is fine, and as someone else mentioned in this thread, is splitting hairs. The point of this Thread was about the best DPS set for pve. Unfortunately we do not have a DPS set bonus on our useless control (for PVE) CW set.

What you give up in area you have to make up in another, that is always the way of things in games like this.

CW focus for abilities are: Power, Crit, Arm Pen, Recovery and Life Steal. Of these the only one that is not covered by the Valindra set is Arm Pen. So you get gear, use enchantments or get other artifacts with Arm Pen up to raise RI. One guide I was reading recommend that a CW should not exceed 40% RI due to buffs and what not you get in groups. Other guides put RI in the 50-60% range.

What I have learned with Arm Pen and RI from playing. Most content RI of 40% is fine. Tiamat, FBI and SVGA are all 60% RI. So out of all the content 3 require 60% RI. It take around 4K Arm pen to get to 40% RI. That is one piece of gear, and 3 artifacts or 2 artifacts and 2 pieces of gear. This does not include boons or other things that can raise your RI.

Most of the CW I run into not using the Valindra set are using 2-3 artifacts and artifact gear that have Arm Pen and the epic gear focus is on power, crit and recovery.

I say to the OP try out the Valindra Set and see if it works for you and if it doesn't try something else.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    niadan said:

People can care for their stat sources per their choice. If there's no good DPS set bonus for a CW, just say so and ask for a choice to be made based on the stats needed. Not, "the best set bonus is no set bonus".
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    niadan said:

@mamalion1234

Really Dude???

You can control all the Trolls in first phase of Sva.
    You can control the barbarians from alerting mobs in FBI. Control Trolls in door phases of FBI.
    eSP/SC certainly can use a lot of control...

Controlling CN mobs makes the run a whole lot faster. And frozen targets are a very good DPS boost too.
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    raydroot said:

IMO for DPS mixed set LOL neck, Int belt w/ Human as race & 5 pts in learned spell caster gives a nice bonus to DPS. This works well for my build. air archon r12 bondings, 100+ percent crit chance.

Isn' Kandi a Moon Elf?

And to add to this thread:

I recently talked to Sharpegghead about belts. Specifically, the INT belt vs. Val belt. The difference between these two at legendary is you get +2 CHA off the Val belt and +2 INT off the INT Belt, which roughly translates to +2% more Crit/CA advantage from CHA, versus +2% from INT.

For damage, +2 INT trumphs the +2 CA damage from CHA, on the assumption that your Crit is capped (remember to account for the +2% crit chance from Cha).

• Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User

niadan said:

@mamalion1234

Really Dude???

You can control all the Trolls in first phase of Sva.
    You can control the barbarians from alerting mobs in FBI. Control Trolls in door phases of FBI.
    eSP/SC certainly can use a lot of control...

Controlling CN mobs makes the run a whole lot faster. And frozen targets are a very good DPS boost too.
    I want to add also helping new players and inexpierenced guild members to have a more comfortable run.
  • Options
    raydrootraydroot Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 110 Arc User
    No Kandi is a Human and I'm over 100% crit even with the Int belt.
    rjc9000 said:

raydroot said:

Isn' Kandi a Moon Elf?

And to add to this thread:

I recently talked to Sharpegghead about belts. Specifically, the INT belt vs. Val belt. The difference between these two at legendary is you get +2 CHA off the Val belt and +2 INT off the INT Belt, which roughly translates to +2% more Crit/CA advantage from CHA, versus +2% from INT.

For damage, +2 INT trumphs the +2 CA damage from CHA, on the assumption that your Crit is capped (remember to account for the +2% crit chance from Cha).