test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please make Fishing a Profession

josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
Pretty sure there's already Ice Fishing for the Winter Event - can you please expand that so we can send our hired fishers out to SoMI to do all the boring fishing so we can do other things? Thanks.
If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!

Comments

• Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    +1

and that's how it should have been. A secondary activity like the rest of the professions.
  • Options
    weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    making it a profession means making it Bot-able... that would be the worst thing for the USEFULNESS of Fishing.. ty.
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • Options
    weaver936 said:

making it a profession means making it Bot-able... that would be the worst thing for the USEFULNESS of Fishing.. ty.

All you should get from fishing is fish, food and something to stink up the stronghold bin. Nothing more.
  • Options
    weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    lantern22 said:

weaver936 said:

All you should get from fishing is fish, food and something to stink up the stronghold bin. Nothing more.
    Nice think ONLY about yourself not the 1000's of low to mid level IL people that are really benefiting from Fishing and Treasure Maps. And the people they have LONGED for something more to do in game than just kill stuff.
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • Options
    sonji#4352 sonji Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    weaver936 said:

lantern22 said:

weaver936 said:

Nice think ONLY about yourself not the 1000's of low to mid level IL people that are really benefiting from Fishing and Treasure Maps. And the people they have LONGED for something more to do in game than just kill stuff.
    I concur good sir. 1) i enjoy fishing, 2) i know many of others that enjoy it as well. In my case i play most my time at work so i can be sitting in a boat fishing away not having a care in the world and if i leave the computer cause work calls i dont have to worry about coming back dead. i know people who do it cause they cant do it in real life and this is actually enjoyable and relaxing. I know people that do it as a timer kill, and i know people that do it for a sorce of income. just cause your to lazy to do something doesnt mean the rest of the NW population doesnt like it.....in fact the only people i ever here complain about it is the 3.5k+ team cause they have to do something where their gear doesnt mean jack squat.....so all that work they put into their char (or money as is the case with 90% of them) doesnt make them any better then a guy with a lvl 1 sword a lvl 1 shield and no armor on at level 70. imho thats the greatest thing about SoMI.....the worst about it is the new weapons, constant grinding and the constant im better than you are cause i got something you dont have that is constantly going on. So no keeep fishing fishing.....although i wouldnt mind having a specail area for the boat, the pole, and the fish........5x36 and the stock 30 bag........not nearly enough room with what is it 60-70 fish, 40 new stones, older stones, ostrain relics, maps, bottles, and various other things you end up with...(bones, ice fragments, grimores, bear pelts, etc) that dont stack and each start a new quest......once a day. so ya maybe a special section for stashing the fish...or maybe just a fish bag for the boat...bag that attaches to the boat that holds the fish and pole........now thats an idea....just saying
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    weaver936 said:

lantern22 said:

weaver936 said:

Weaver, players should be able to choose, right now its not a choice, its fishing or hes or bust. I dont see how players being able to kill things as you say, should be so heavily penalized, but they are.

If you want non combat ways to earn money fine.. but it shouldnt offer SO much better rewards and AD making then dungeons either.. it was a big failure to not better balance these.

YOU CANT even sell anything of real value out of ESVA... ludicrous. FBI.. the rings are Cbound!

They have clamped down so harshly on dungeon loot, that players have no options left but to do things like fishing and hes to make AD..

Im not saying remove fishing and HES, but it should be the ALTERNATIVE method of achievement, not the primary one.

Cant we have both? or is that asking too much ?

Also your continued accusations and flaming responsese of basically calling anyone who doesnt like it, selfish , is unwarranted and unneeded.

There should be room enough for both..

• Options
    edited December 2016
    weaver936 said:

lantern22 said:

weaver936 said:

Actually, most people dislike it. So I am thinking of the majority. You, my friend, are in the minority. Isn't Mod 10 supposed to be for high IL ppl?
    Post edited by lantern22 on
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    lantern22 said:

weaver936 said:

lantern22 said:

weaver936 said:

Actually, most people dislike it. So I am thinking of the majority. You, my friend, are in the minority.
    Technically, from your own poll results, indifferent/tolerant/positive players outnumber those who view the fishing as a strong negative. Strong positives are the minority, but the majority view at least accepts it has a place in the game.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Not really, the issue is the wording, I think alot of the same people wouldve checked off I dont like fishing, but will do it because of the rewards.

there are too many categories of the same basic posture.

It shouildve been..

loved it, want more (positive)
    Love it, but thats enough(slightly positive)
    Hate it, wont do it. (super negative)
    Hate it, will do it because of teh rewards (slightly negative)
    Meh, its ok, but lets not do more. (neutral)
    and a
    Lets do a fish fry as we watch people hate on each other. (I dont care three farthings about any of this, I sit in PE most of the day anyways)

That wouldve been a better spread.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

lantern22 said:

weaver936 said:

lantern22 said:

weaver936 said:

Actually, most people dislike it. So I am thinking of the majority. You, my friend, are in the minority.
    Technically, from your own poll results, indifferent/tolerant/positive players outnumber those who view the fishing as a strong negative. Strong positives are the minority, but the majority view at least accepts it has a place in the game.
    Technically strong negatives outnumber strong positives around 6 to 1 in that poll. Of the very small number who indicated a "strong positive", even some of them say they don't really agree with the implementation of fishing.

And also "technically" I wouldn't call "I can live with it but I'd rather not see anymore of the same" a poll result where people are supporting it in its current form, imo that is a vote on the negative side. So when you add those together its 65% negative. In fact you can probably count on one hand the people who think that how it stands at the moment is great, probably not even you.

Noone is actually saying that there is no place for fishing in NWO, we just don't like how it is at the moment. There is a massive difference between "has a place in the game" and "is the major component of the second part of Mod 10".
  • Options

Not really, the issue is the wording, I think alot of the same people wouldve checked off I dont like fishing, but will do it because of the rewards.

there are too many categories of the same basic posture.

It shouildve been..

loved it, want more (positive)
    Love it, but thats enough(slightly positive)
    Hate it, wont do it. (super negative)
    Hate it, will do it because of teh rewards (slightly negative)
    Meh, its ok, but lets not do more. (neutral)
    and a
    Lets do a fish fry as we watch people hate on each other. (I dont care three farthings about any of this, I sit in PE most of the day anyways)

That wouldve been a better spread.

I tried to get that balance in there, but I guess everyone has a different view on wording.

But definitely it needed to have the "These pretzels are making me thirsty"
  • Options
    I think I got the gist of the overall vote.. I would say 70-80% or so, really dont like it, out of that group a fairly high % are still doing it, because they want to play the game.

What this poll doesn't show is the few dozen people I know who hate this sort of gating and grinding and have already left.

They are just driving away people at this point, so the polls will show those who remain as willing to do it.

I know for the fact that this forum is alot less active, as is PE.. as is most of the channels I have been involved in, the only thing anyone is running is ESVA.. why run dungeons AT all.. you can just go fishing and make more then running 5-6 dungeons daily.

The balance of the game is scewed right now, its making a minority happy, a majority as .. sigh we will do it and another minority, looking to leave.

What does this mean? its a matter of thier metrics, not our feedback, they dont care about feedback really.

If the metrics so a downturn on players while aslo a downturn in spending, they will look at the revenue stream and see where it can be altarted.

I see this as a Mini Mod 6 honestly, but instead of thousands leaving, its just hundreds.

• Options
    btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    175 votes are in, keep that in perspective. A minority visits the forums. From what I can see, it made a minority unhappy and leave. So it usually goes with updates.

• Options

175 votes are in, keep that in perspective. A minority visits the forums. From what I can see, it made a minority unhappy and leave. So it usually goes with updates.

Close to 44% isn't what I would call a minority its almost the majority . And 175 votes is probably enough of a sample size to get close to statistical significance

What does this mean? its a matter of thier metrics, not our feedback, they dont care about feedback really.

maybe the feedback is wasted, but hopefully not. anyway im going to run some dungeons
  • Options
    the worst and most illogical argument, is only a minority visit the forums, sure, its correct, but its a crosshatch of players and as such can be fairly representative as accurate overall.

when you do polling , you dont ask Every One, you ask a % based of people. As such it is fairly accurate with a =/- of whatever.. even if you say its 10%.. its close enough for most things to see accurate results of all players.

It really doesnt matter as I stated, they are not changing anything.

Lvl 28 on my Tera Brawler today though.. even if its not a forever game, I am having WAY more fun in that game, then I am in this one atm.. I will get a couple to end game , the dungeons seem fun, though only did my first 2 star one today, its not at all like neverwinter. You cant really pay for power it appears, and END game i level at top end appear to be matter of really small degrees in total,

people apparently look AT how many times you have run a dungeon vs your power total. What a concept right?

I leave you guys to this fishing and hes no skill HAMSTER, and I await a return of actual mmo dungeon play.

If anyone wants to join me, I am playing on the EU servers, mystel my first toon is Silverheart.

Everygame has its flaws, but I am not simply going to sit around here and worry about it, I will continue to log in and do certain things though.. as I am still planning a return , if they do make a MMO again. ITs still a great game, just not teh game I could endorse or play atm.

I do not give props to players for winning at fishing.. jeebus.

• Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    weaver936 said:

No. The only use of fishing (other than the occasional thing in fish guts) is to get rewards from Svardborg, which we should get without this tedious, boring, obnoxious, unwanted grind anyway. Espeically since we are shortly going to be forced to accept whatever worthless rewards we get from the chests.

We should just be able to catch fish on our alts' profession slots, mail them to our mains and turn them in to the fishmonger so that we all have 5 rewards stacked up all the time. Of course, that would cut into sales of dragon keys, to which I say GOOD.
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User

We have no data on how many people left or just opted out of mod 10+. And, in fact, the percentage of those who voted for no fishing ever was a plurality. Add to that those who would accept it with decent rewards (which there currently are not) and you have about 70%. So your argument fails completely, makes no sense at all, and if it was not disingenuous was weaker than a starving gnat.
  • Options
    vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind having bound to account fish as rewards from the fishing profession, or even the crafting of special lures.

Fishing for treasure maps should stay out of a profession, as that would encourage botting.

Having BoA fish will prevent botting.

Adding fish to a profession would cut into the boring grind of trying to get 1000 stone of fish for a SVA key, and should not cut into the enjoyment/profit of those who do enjoy fishing in-game.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • Options
    fearsomefourfearsomefour Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I came looking for a thread to learn how to succeed in fishing in SoMI, but I can see from the discussion that there are a lot of people (me included) that are totally ticked about the mechanics of the task. I have spent about 3 hours in total attempting to fish and have not caught 1 single fish...needless to say I'm about to say "screw it" and not continue to beat my head against the wall and just accept the fact that my advancement is done. Making this tripe (no pun intended) required in order to advance is about as stupid as making building a fire a requirement for advancement in the desert. I wouldn't know about any benefits from fishing as I can't catch any, but 'if" there are any benefits they shouldn't be a make or break it proposition. As far as the fishing in the other areas such as Lonlywood and the Winter Fest I don't have any problem with it other than it puts me to sleep but it is far more likable as it can be accomplished. With all of the other grinds this game forces on us such as the insane 30 and 50 Linu's Favor in ToD I'm sure that there are lots of folks that have and will just move on without even attempting to complete the tasks.
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    weaver936 said:

It's already bottable : \
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    playasinnombreplayasinnombre Member Posts: 42 Arc User

I came looking for a thread to learn how to succeed in fishing in SoMI, but I can see from the discussion that there are a lot of people (me included) that are totally ticked about the mechanics of the task. I have spent about 3 hours in total attempting to fish and have not caught 1 single fish...needless to say I'm about to say "screw it" and not continue to beat my head against the wall and just accept the fact that my advancement is done. Making this tripe (no pun intended) required in order to advance is about as stupid as making building a fire a requirement for advancement in the desert. I wouldn't know about any benefits from fishing as I can't catch any, but 'if" there are any benefits they shouldn't be a make or break it proposition. As far as the fishing in the other areas such as Lonlywood and the Winter Fest I don't have any problem with it other than it puts me to sleep but it is far more likable as it can be accomplished. With all of the other grinds this game forces on us such as the insane 30 and 50 Linu's Favor in ToD I'm sure that there are lots of folks that have and will just move on without even attempting to complete the tasks.

I had this problem @ first. You have to hold the buttons, not tap them.

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I don't want fishing to be yet another profession but I want to fish 200 points for a key instead of 1000.
    No, I don't want to waste a profession slot for this. If Cryptic implement it, they will make you to fish a week for 100 like getting an Unified element. It will also be character bound.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

Read the fishing instruction carefully. Move your mouse cursor to the arrow (your encounter slot). It tells you what to do.
    Note that: you should fish in the dedicated circle (which has fish jumping, a visible circle and birds in the sky). These
    circles come and go. However, if your graphic setting is low, you may not see them. In that case, you may need to fish
    where other people are fishing. Don't fish in the HE fishing circle which is close to the home base. You can get killed by a Turtle easily. As far as I can tell, nobody wants to do that HE.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I think I'd have to AGREE on this one fishing likely have made a better profession but I don't think they will change it any time soon.

When you first enter the 4 adventure zones (Level 60) you fight repeatable quest's that sometimes give a very rare (unified element) or rare (elemental aggregate) which can be used by professions. You'd think there was enough ways to earn relic's through the daily or repeatable quest, but fishing should likely be a new profession, especially with dock's added to the new River District.

Somehow I don't think I will be interesting in spending hour's trying to catch fish by myself in hopes of maybe landing a good catch while spending the whole time alone.
  • Options
    mifiisumifiisu Member Posts: 205 Arc User

However, if your graphic setting is low, you may not see them. In that case, you may need to fish
    where other people are fishing.

As someone who sports the absolute minimum graphic settings - I can report having no problems seeing the circles. Granted, you can't see them from half way accross the map, but the blue line, birds, jumping fish are all perfectly visible (especially so since the water surface looks 'dull' in comparison, so to speak)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    mifiisu said:

However, if your graphic setting is low, you may not see them. In that case, you may need to fish
    where other people are fishing.

As someone who sports the absolute minimum graphic settings - I can report having no problems seeing the circles. Granted, you can't see them from half way accross the map, but the blue line, birds, jumping fish are all perfectly visible (especially so since the water surface looks 'dull' in comparison, so to speak)
    There is a person reported he cannot see them. So, your minimum is not same as his minimum.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1227766/fishing-what-am-i-doing-wrong
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I wish the TOOLS or first mission for FISHING would have been FAR MORE CLEAR LIKE MANY TOOLTIPS SHOULD BE but when the vast majority of players are using TAPPING Q, E, R... that Habbit does not END when people start fishing and then wonder why they can't FISH.

What is NOT explained very well for FISHING is that you must HOLD DOWN THE Q KEY if the LEFT ARROW IS INDICATED the WHOLE TIME until the next ARROW is indicated. Then you must also HOLD DOWN THAT KEY without releasing it otherwise you loose the FISH. It's bad enough many in game tooltips aren't as clear on explaining many game mechanic's as they shoot from how long a stack or ability often lasts to a variety of other things that can influence abilities, trait's powers, etc...

:)

I admit I recently got into to fishing and while it's perhaps not the most exciting thing to do in the game it is a chance of pace that sometimes is nice rather than running just another profession. While I think fishing as a profession could possibly work I wouldn't want to take out the fishing ability in game either as it breaks up the routine a bit.