test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OP Tanking, FBI, and general thoughts

2»

Comments

• nightranger7477nightranger7477 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    Very interesting thx for the info @slappdaniel I will definitely consider this when I perform my respec after the 10.5 update on xbone. So with the changes you don't have any issues with survivability?
  • slappdanielslappdaniel Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited November 2016

Very interesting thx for the info @slappdaniel I will definitely consider this when I perform my respec after the 10.5 update on xbone. So with the changes you don't have any issues with survivability?

not really cause dc is bugged at the moment but even without it there shouldnt be a problem to play like i do. an extra tip for everyone here: you can apply absolution on yourself and other before a bossfight and then switch it out. the buff will last until the shield is depleted due to incoming damage.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    Honestly, once you get to near bis levels and equip a pet with r12 bondings you can play like a clown and still win.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    Today in SVA and FBI, there was terrible lag every few minutes!

Hindering my ability to tank, as I need to know when to repop BO/TW timing for maximum efficiency.

When lag hits, it hits hard n deadly, resulting in party wipes.
  • tutelo#5367 tutelo Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    @slappdaniel

Those rotations might work when youre near or BIS lvl, but against Orcus it might as well be suicide if you dont have TW
  • slappdanielslappdaniel Member Posts: 78 Arc User

@slappdaniel

Those rotations might work when youre near or BIS lvl, but against Orcus it might as well be suicide if you dont have TW

yeah you need to be flexible with op. obviously iam using templars for orcus too if i am running with a bad group. i am not suicidal.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    I'm at 3.5k with my OP and for FBI I've been running Templar's, BO, and Bane with Protection and Wisdom for passives. I also live in the land of lag, so its hard to dodge things (interrupt hits from giants, red splats), which influences my decisions (and adds extra problems to the climb up the mountain).

On Turtle I swap Bane for RA. The main trick with the turtle is stopping people from taking agro when it first comes up onto the island. Between RA and BO once you have agro you tend to keep it.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • akira#3219 akira Member Posts: 22 Arc User

emilemo said:

No I'm currently 4200il and hv about 8200 recovery, very low crit owlbear cub build so I will be going the crit build route after the owlbear cub nerf, I was referring to the 50% damage increase that occurs to the sacred weapon encounter with the pally changes that come with mod 10.5

I am interested if it is worth slotting because it has always been a worthless power. I use Shield of faith mainly and rarely ever use the bubble.....

Slotting it where? In a dungeon vs adds you need aoe, vs a boss you need defensive encounters. In PVP you will be perma cced and killed if you dont slot CT, then you also take BO/TW and the third is RA/BL/Smite... I dont really see where one would use Sacred Weapon besides the test dummies.

Good to hear that things are not as bad as I thought they would be with these new changes to bo.... I'm on Xbox and we still have yet to see these changes yet.... have you tried the new sacred weapon yet?

Honestly can't say I have given Sacred Weapon a try, it was neat when you were level 10, but I don't really see it having any place at 70. Can't really afford the cast time in combat, and you have Oath Strike, Vow of Enmity, Binding Oath, Divine Justice (see: multiple, ways to generate threat if you need to, that are actually effective in end-game content.

UNLESS: you meant the new relic weapons from the questing in SoMI, the short answer is, no I have not.

End state is that, no things are not as bad as they may seem upfront, unless you happen to be heavily invested into recovery (permabubble), in which case you may just have to relearn how to tank (I did, lol.) Thanks for swinging by!

~Lightbringer
    Sacred Weapon is currently BIS for bosses. Iam still not sure if i like it for giants or other trash but it does tons of damage. My current setup for trash is Sacred Weapon/Smite/Templars (still not sure whats best here. for some groups it might me better to use Burning light or Binding Oath to gain more Action Points for your daily). Setup for bosses is Sacred Weapon/Smite/Bane (you could also use Circle of Power instead of Bane).
    Gotta say, I'm not sold on Sacred Weapon at all. Maybe just my mileage, but I've been having a lot of success running:
    Oath Strike/Radiant Strike - Templar's Wrath > Circle of Power > Bane >> Shield of Faith/Divine Protector on boss fights in CN, FBI, and eSVA. For trash, I pretty much just run Binding Oath > TW > Burning Light >> DP, except in eSVA where I swap BL or Relentless Avenger until the boss, then swap RA for Bane. Some groups I can drop BO for CoP, depending on the party.

How it works: CoP increases damage, Bane increases Damage, Templar's hits really hard, now you have 1mil+ temp hp, meanwhile Oath Strike (and your threat bonus from dealing damage) is holding aggro. The party gets bonus DR and Damge, and a tank with a million hitpoints. And that's how you're tanking - you can't get DR high enough to just "shrug off" incoming damage (giants in FBI, I'm looking at you), but you can get your Temp HP high enough to where you can absorb a hit or two, and with some clutch dodging and a divine call have TW ready to cast again. Trans Dread comes plays a pretty key role in this, maximizing the damage (Temp HP gain) from TW.

Also, I swapped some companions out, dumped my battlerager for a Blacksmith, and the flame sprite for a Rust Monster. I have noticed that in longer fights, it is easier to stay alive, so that's good. Looking into replacing frost sprite with... something... not sure yet. Maybe Shadow Demon, we'll see. Working on upgrading the Valhalla set (of course now that 2xRP is over... HAMSTER) and restoring my relic shield (so... many... HE's...), both of which should work out nicely.

Thanks for keeping up guys, my little mini-vacation ended so I had to go back to real life again.
    ~Lightbringer
    Id get the Valhalla set too if one of the main stats was not Dex.
    emilemo said:

Id get the Valhalla set too if one of the main stats was not Dex.

But that set bonus seems too good to pass up -
    "3 of Set: Whenever an enemy attacks the bearer, that enemy's damage is reduce by 3% for 6 seconds. Stack up to 5 times."
    Enemies getting a 15% damage debuff, really like the sound of that! Haven't really seen a set bonus that looked good to me until now (strictly speaking as a tank.)

Currently I am using Valindra's Neck, and Charisma Belt, the +8 AC from the neck and and the +2 Con from the belt look pretty good, seeing as I'm pulling away from the whole perma-bubble max recovery build.
    It does sound good yes. I guess Im just not a fan of their artifact sets as I see them only as power creep inducing AD sinks. Released overpowered, kept that way till a buncha people spend to get them, then nerfed prepping the way for the next set. No thanks for me
  • wolffgardwolffgard Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I'm talking as an Xbox player trying to plan ahead, but here's some things that work for me right now. Feytouched/Shadowclad enchants.
    The new pants and shirt, I lose some stats but the set bonus works great.
    Con Artist companion. With ring of sudden defense and sudden deflect
    HP at 209k base defense is 9599, deflect 5k. Companion procs def goes to over 20k and deflect to 16k.
    Smite is overlooked, it is a great debuff as well as damage and AP gain.
    Aura of Truth plus the artifact bonus works great. Frost damage ignores damage reduction no matter how much you stack. The debuff is better.
    wolffgard said:

I'm talking as an Xbox player trying to plan ahead, but here's some things that work for me right now. Feytouched/Shadowclad enchants.

The new pants and shirt, I lose some stats but the set bonus works great.

Con Artist companion. With ring of sudden defense and sudden deflect

HP at 209k base defense is 9599, deflect 5k. Companion procs def goes to over 20k and deflect to 16k.

Smite is overlooked, it is a great debuff as well as damage and AP gain.

Aura of Truth plus the artifact bonus works great. Frost damage ignores damage reduction no matter how much you stack. The debuff is better.

Shadowclad! I have been wondering about this, as far as it's reliability/viability vs Negation. As far as Deflect as a stat though... 16k is enough to where it's not an inconsiderable proc rate, ~40%. I would have to look into getting different companion gear (hopefully I still hung on to some from the Gateway) or trying to grind out +5 rings for defense/deflect procs. 9k defense is pretty slim walking around though, I start a fight at around 50% DR and dropping to 9k Def is a pretty big hit. Still though, I never really gave deflect any credit, barring shadowclad (eventually you have to deflect something.)
    Smite is pretty tasty, but again here, running BO>TW>CoP doesn't leave me room to slot smite, and I just feel really squishy without BO+TW, at least up to the first boss. Also, CoP now gives a considerable amount of AP per cast, so that helps with keeping up DP or SoF, whichever your flavor is. DP just takes a lot more precision, and you gotta get those incoming heals because you'll be absorbing a lot of damage from your party, even after reductions/mitigations.
    I suppose once FBI goes live on XBoX, let us know if your set up works for you!
    ~Lightbringer
  • critshot1234#3954 critshot1234 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I'm not sure if your pc, xbone or ps but I had a very similar build to yours on PS but since hearing about the mod 10.5 changes a month or so ago I reallocated a lot of my stats but not the same way many spec in this forum since i prefer finding my own build vs. searching for one.

I also had recovery in all my offence slots but I noticed my temp HP from templars wrath was very small and not acceptable with the BO nerf but i wasn't too happy dropping all my recovery for crit and rocking a crit severity weapon enchant (I already hate all the gfs that think they are dps now its stupid) so I compromised and went with the cruel enchantments which gives power and recovery i now have these in every offence slot at R12.

My defence slots are still defence and I'm probably going to keep it this way regardless since I personally prefer seeing smaller dmg in numbers vs. big dmg in numbers I'm a tank i feel the urge to mitigate as much damage as possible.

I've stuck with my trans lightning and shadowclad and am having pretty good success in PS fbi runs since I've done multiple with 1dc, 3 dps and my op tank without me taking any deaths at all multiple runs and I've even out dps'ed some subpar dps on the way up to the turtle.

Although PS hasn't had the 10.5 nerfs yet for the pally I have tried dropping BO in CN a few times and running temp wrath, bane and smite with shield of faith and not had that much of a struggle although they have been clutch moments with the balls of death etc but its manageable i also managed to tank the first set of adds in FBI without bo when i forgot to slot it after the same CN run.

After I have finally got everything to R12 i maybe tempted to try a crit build because I'll have nothing else to refine but will see how the changes play out.
    Mr Doofa [PS4]
    4,300 Tankadin

I'm not sure if your pc, xbone or ps but I had a very similar build to yours on PS but since hearing about the mod 10.5 changes a month or so ago I reallocated a lot of my stats but not the same way many spec in this forum since i prefer finding my own build vs. searching for one.

I know how you feel here, but for me it ended up becoming an issue of crowdsourcing - if someone else has gone over multiple possibilities, and can present viable, provable, and repeatable data, at the very least you can use that as a starting point. Where you go from there is entirely up to you, so long as it works.

I also had recovery in all my offence slots but I noticed my temp HP from templars wrath was very small and not acceptable with the BO nerf but i wasn't too happy dropping all my recovery for crit and rocking a crit severity weapon enchant (I already hate all the gfs that think they are dps now its stupid) so I compromised and went with the cruel enchantments which gives power and recovery i now have these in every offence slot at R12.

I do want to swap to cruels eventually, for now I still have all R12 Silveries in my offense slots. Picking up the feat Force of Will (3/3) that gives you crit for your charisma helped a lot here. Not sure if you have that already, or if respeccing is an option for you, but that alone netted me 28% crit.

My defence slots are still defence and I'm probably going to keep it this way regardless since I personally prefer seeing smaller dmg in numbers vs. big dmg in numbers I'm a tank i feel the urge to mitigate as much damage as possible.

It's pretty tough for me to justify Azures over Radiants here, as hitting my DR cap from Defense is not that hard (R12 Bondings go the distance here for sure,) and Deflect really is one of those "nice to haves" but not something I would consider stacking for. Even if you got deflect to 50%, it would have to come at no cost to other stats, otherwise you're effectively getting "50% of the time, this stat helps, the other 50% you just don't get anything) which I would just rather have the flat rate increase to my HP at that point.

I've stuck with my trans lightning and shadowclad and am having pretty good success in PS fbi runs since I've done multiple with 1dc, 3 dps and my op tank without me taking any deaths at all multiple runs and I've even out dps'ed some subpar dps on the way up to the turtle.

I'm glad to hear your having success with your T. Lightning, I definitely notice an increase to my Temp HP from TW after getting Dread, vs the nearly negligible CD reduction from when I had Lightning. As far as Shadowclad goes, I hear the stealthing effect drops your aggro, is this true? Because if it is, thats a definitely deal breaker for me. Yes, DC's are pretty much mando for FBI/eSVA, unless you're doing some silly things with stacking OPs or some other outlying ability expoit (not the illegal kind of exploit, just the ridiculous ones - I still want to see a 5 HR attempt at FBI where everyone just dodges everything the whole time o.0) As far as the dps goes... I've had runs where I hit 3rd, but I don't really give it a lot of credence as the lead is usually a GWF, and the two that I beat for damage were running buffs/debuffs, which I think we all can agree are tasty.

Although PS hasn't had the 10.5 nerfs yet for the pally I have tried dropping BO in CN a few times and running temp wrath, bane and smite with shield of faith and not had that much of a struggle although they have been clutch moments with the balls of death etc but its manageable i also managed to tank the first set of adds in FBI without bo when i forgot to slot it after the same CN run.

I tend to run SoF if the group seems to be doing "not dying" pretty well on their own. If we wipe, or people can't seem to figure it out, I'll pick up DP instead. The recent fix to CoP so that it generate AP now is pretty good as well. I'm liking BO>TW>CoP>>SoF, or TW>CoP>Burning Light>>DP, depending on the feel of the group. SoF is definitely easier on me to manage - cast on the move, double the duration of DP, helps companions, no stupid 9 year animation... I'd save smite for boss fights, if that's your cuppa tea.

After I have finally got everything to R12 i maybe tempted to try a crit build because I'll have nothing else to refine but will see how the changes play out.

All I can tell you here, is that at least you have the PC side of the house to guinea pig for you. Best of luck, and thanks for stopping by!
    ~Lightbringer
  • critshot1234#3954 critshot1234 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I stack defence because my pet is all offence slots (gotta love that power) and i can hit over 150k+ power at some points with the dc power sharing + correct mount insignia bonuses and like i said i prefer to physically see smaller numbers vs. bigger numbers and more health its just the tank in me. I feel the NEED to mitigate damage

I also agree with deflect, its a rng stat and am not too keen on it myself so am sat at 20 odd percent without any direct buffing to this stat the 20 odd percent comes from my artifacts, gear and some insignia and imo 20/25 percent + shadowclad is enough so that i deflect often enough for it to be a nice thing when it does happen but i do not rely on it.

In terms of the shadowclad vs negation at transcendent I have been tempted to go negation but i don't honestly want to be a light bulb lol and the only time i fail to deflect 8x in a row is when am mobbed by a million adds and at this point if i go invisible they are dazed and do nothing this actually gives me a bit of breathing space for stuff to come on cooldown or i can just keep attacking regardless. Depending how you look on the brief invis/daze stun it can be a life saver at times.

For example in FBI when you need to melt the ice our dps/dc is pretty lazy so they sit back at the campfire and wait the timer out so i go off and tank them at this point everything is fine but after a few rotations and I've used all or 2 of my divine calls and I'm in need of a cool down reduction etc and i suddenly go invisible i can sit there for a bit whiles every add is stunned get bo off cool-down and then go back at it other-times i don't even notice it because i just keep attacking through the invis so if i do drop aggro i'm pretty much gaining it back instantly.

but this could just be me splitting hairs to justify why am running a shadowclad when in reality i'd be far more suited with a neg

I do actually have my trans lightning on the AH right now, if it sells when i get home from work I'm going to buy a dread and have a play so it's on my shopping list its nice that we have a selection of weapon/armour enchants to work with instead of fixed to a particular build makes for some interesting paladin builds.

The guy i beat is actually a GWF he is a friend that we carry through from time to time I have no idea what he's doing wrong with his build but he likes to dabble in pvp so he's probably got some dodgy hybrid build 0.o
    Post edited by critshot1234#3954 on
    Mr Doofa [PS4]
    4,300 Tankadin