test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OP Tanking, FBI, and general thoughts

akira#3219 akira Member Posts: 22 Arc User
edited November 2016 in The Citadel
Hey guys, just wondering if it's just me, or is FBI really hard for you too?
Quick Stats (w/Campfire)
STR -- 13
INT -- 13
CON - 26
WIS -- 15
DEX - 13
CHA - 28
Hit Points ---- 152,188
Power ------- 13,188
Recovery ---- 17,409
AP Gain ----- 900
Defense ----- 16,219
Percentages
Recharge Speed Increase - 114.1%
AP Gain --------------- 76.2%
Damage Resistance ----- 59.1%
Rank 40 Zentarim Warlock, 3x R12 Bonding
Defense -- 1,630
Recovery - 4,056
ArP ------ 757
Crit ------ 757
Power ---- 4,393
Abilities
Active Artifact - Sigil of the Devoted
At-wills ------ Shielding Strike
-------------- Radiant Strike
Encounters --- Binding Oath
-------------- Templar's Wrath
-------------- Burning Light
Dailies ------- Divine Protector
-------------- Divine Judgement
Passives ------ Aura of Wisdom
-------------- Aura of Protection
Companions
Flame Sprite -------- (1% AP gain)
Ice Sprite ----------- (1% AP gain) [Both still green... yes i know... please don't judge...]
Ioun Stone of Allure -- (I used this when I was leveling/until I saved the AD for Zent Lock, pretty much a placeholder now]
Dwarven Battlerager -- (Power/Recovery??? Stats I like, but as far as bonuses go... look see below about what I said about companions...)
Zentarim Warlock -----(Power/Recovery - Fast attacks, procs bonding quick and holds up 3 stacks well. Read about it from Ironzerg's guide back when I started as a CW)

Insignia Bonuses------------------Mounts
Artificer's Persuasion--------------Flail Snail (Legacy)
Gladiator's Guile------------------Stormraider Clydesdale
Shepherd's Devotion--------------Leopard of Chult
Warlord's Inspiration--------------Gorgon
Survivor's Gift--------------------Winter Wolf

Rank 12 VIP

Weapon Enchant -- Pure Lightning (The CD reduction mechanic seemed alot more interesting to explore than the PF I had since forever)
Armor Enchant --- Perfect Negation (I used to have this slotted solely for when I got around to Trans Neg, I would get the Recovery bonus, but now the DR is relevant)
Offense Slots --- R12 Silvery
Defense Slots --- R8/9 Radiants (Max HP wasn't that big of a deal for me until... recently... again, please don't judge =P)

Feats
Not going to list everything here, but the low down is Justice (Vengeful Judge)/Light (Aura Gifts). Cooldown management through Recovery, Aura of Wisdom, and Divine Call to reset CD's, keeping everything up as much as possible, and Aura Gifts is just good for everyone. My only reservation here is I do not know if AG has a cap, because if not then there are times I'm giving 25k+ Power to my party. Not to sure what the diminishing return curve is for power (if there is one) but if there isn't then that comes out to 62.5%+ damage increase for the other party members. Seems like alot.

{BREAK}

So my issues mainly lie with the first part of the dungeon with the army of giants and polar bears right out the gate, and then the Dragon Turtle. The rest of the dungeon is pretty much, "Know the encounter, don't stand in the fire." It does take awhile to clear through the trash, but it's not hard like the rest of it is. I am open to your suggestions for changing up abilities, gear, etc.
Following is a small list of things I can answer off the top of my head;

Party Composition
The two times I successfully cleared FBI, the party consisted of OP (myself), GF buffs, DC buffs, SS Rene CW, and GWF. Generally speaking this is the composition I am most partial to, but in order I would take DPS to replace either one or both as SW, HR, TR. But that's just personal preference for me.
"Why don't you use ... ?"
Currently, the encounters I chose are ones that let me generate as much AP as possible during combat in order to keep up Divine Protector as often as possible. I have gone up to nearly 45 seconds without dropping DP at times, and usually can keep it up for around 20 seconds before I gap for a second or two, then back up for about 20 seconds, and by the end of the third rotation, Sigil is back up and I can start the cycle over. Also of note, I tried Absolution, but like Cleansing Touch, if I try to do anything before it's finished casting, it just triggers the global CD, but nothing happens... so I would miss a heal, or shield, if I had to move, dodge, or even just double tapped a key. To me that makes those skills unusable for how I play.
Companion Choices
Simply put, companions are super expensive and the ones I have aren't necessarily ideal. I like the Zent Warlock because it procs Bondings fast enough to reach and maintain 3 stacks during a fight. Soloing, my power usually hits and stays at 50-60k during combat, and in a raid, can get over 130k. I usually hit around 30-31k Recovery as well, which is nice AP gain/CD reduction.

{BREAK}

If you've read this far down, you're a real champion! I thank you all for your input, thoughts, and ideas. I will respond as soon as I can, and look forward to seeing what you all have to say. I haven't been at this the longest by any means, but I've been playing NW for over a year now, and a Prot OP for about the last 10 months or so.
Special recognition to Sharpedge, you're old (Mod 6?) OP guide is what really got me into playing the class! Now I just visit my CW for when I want to melt things in the SH, or make some quick rAD. I've had alot of fun playing the OP this whole time, and now I turn to you, the community, to see if we can put an end to the QQ train, and just keep having fun! Happy Thanksgiving!
~Lightbringer

Comments

• darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    1) Remove all the recovery (silvers, equipment etc) and put in power / crit / armp (armp 60% after bonding buff). Offense stlots -> brutal, crit minimum 50%
    2) Remove all the defense optional (azure, optional rings etc). Put Radiants and go for HP instead of defense. HP should be around 200k or more. SH boon in HP instead of defense.
    3) Change lightning for terror or other debuff enchant. Dread is also good with good crit% for your temp hp and angro but worse for your team.
    4) If you can change stats, remove wisdom for charisma, and max constitution (16-16 is a good start array). Take the feat that gives crit (3%) and the feat that gives CHA to crit.
    5) Aura of protection seems useless in end game unless your team is very bad. And if your team is very bad you will have problems anyway with DPS in dragon turtle.

With that equipment you should not have problems and you shoulnt need absolution (I use bane) but if you still have problems, absolution instead of bane. Bane for bosses. Your power will go to 80-90k with your bonding companion (playing alone with no team) and much more with DC buffs.

Your Templar's Wrath will give you insane amount of temp HP when hitting 3-4 enemies (giants + bears). Use shield of faith instead divine protector if you cant hold the incoming dmg from your team.

In dragon turtle, if you are having still problems with this configuration, you can use circle of power but I preffer bane.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • akira#3219 akira Member Posts: 22 Arc User

1) Remove all the recovery (silvers, equipment etc) and put in power / crit / armp (armp 60% after bonding buff). Offense stlots -> brutal, crit minimum 50%

So trade out cooldown reduction/AP Gain for Damage? Just trying to make sure I understand the intention here. I feel like I gain alot more out of the utility from being able to build AP faster and keep up BO/TW. Otherwise, high Crit and Trans Dread work nice together, especially with Templar's Wrath.

2) Remove all the defense optional (azure, optional rings etc). Put Radiants and go for HP instead of defense. HP should be around 200k or more. SH boon in HP instead of defense.

All my current Defense comes from stats already on gear, SH buff, or boons, and the Azures on my companion (as you cant proc extra HP with Bondings.) I do have all Radiant R8/9 in my defense slots, soon to be upgraded (2x RP weekend in a few hours!) so hopefully I can get that to all at or around R10's. My SH doesnt have HP boon, just Def and Lifesteal. I do think that 200k HP is a solid goal, look forward to that!

3) Change lightning for terror or other debuff enchant. Dread is also good with good crit% for your temp hp and angro but worse for your team.

I will look into this some more. I jumped on lightning the day i read CD's get reduced for each chain, which fits the way I play. This, however, was prior to the recent changes to BO/DP. Again with the crit/dread combo. Debuffs are tricky, in that if two people have the same one, one of them basically doesn't have a weapon enchant (as far as I know, the same ones don't stack.) I ran Plaguefire forever specifically because of this - it's pretty okay as a debuff, but HAMSTER compared to some of the other ones available, which meant in any group I was in, it was relevant. Better to have 1 good debuff and one kinda okay (HAMSTER) debuff, then just two people only using one debuff. STILL - I will research this more, and see what I can get to work.

4) If you can change stats, remove wisdom for charisma, and max constitution (16-16 is a good start array). Take the feat that gives crit (3%) and the feat that gives CHA to crit.

So here, dropping AP gain/CD reduction for crit, and max out CON. Pretty straight forward, just alot of investing on my part. Definitely a huge AD sink for me. At the same time, the numbers make sense. I will see what I can do though.

5) Aura of protection seems useless in end game unless your team is very bad. And if your team is very bad you will have problems anyway with DPS in dragon turtle.

I was running Aura of Courage prior to FBI's release. I feel more or less the same way about Aura of Protection as you said. With all this HP stacking, definitely looks like the way to go.

With that equipment you should not have problems and you shoulnt need absolution (I use bane) but if you still have problems, absolution instead of bane. Bane for bosses. Your power will go to 80-90k with your bonding companion (playing alone with no team) and much more with DC buffs.

Your Templar's Wrath will give you insane amount of temp HP when hitting 3-4 enemies (giants + bears). Use shield of faith instead divine protector if you cant hold the incoming dmg from your team.

In dragon turtle, if you are having still problems with this configuration, you can use circle of power but I preffer bane.

All in all, great advice! Seems sound and practiced, and ultimately, I may just need to lay Divine Protector down and run SoF instead. Thanks again, I look forward to trying some of this out!
    ~Lightbringer
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    @akira "So my issues mainly lie with the first part of the dungeon with the army of giants and polar bears right out the gate, and then the Dragon Turtle."

I deal with mobs very effectively with this rotation and strategy BO, Relentless, TW, Shield of faith daily; my strategy is once i have most/all the mobs aggro via Relentless. Then I start backing up/thinning out the mobs toward the nearest spawning fire (as they chase you down, use sanctuary for those aoes). This effectively keep the mobs chasing you, as dps take them down. Since I started doing this, my party members die much less.

For the Dragon Turtle, I use the same rotation as above. My strategy is stay close, once it start snapping move away under Sanctuary and when it release large aoes, use Relentless to get back to close range. It been very effective! At this boss I switch out my Shadowdemon (ineffective with this boss) with my Augment to keeping Recovery/Defensive stats high.

I like FBI, really forces me to be a tank.
    edited November 2016

So trade out cooldown reduction/AP Gain for Damage? Just trying to make sure I understand the intention here. I feel like I gain alot more out of the utility from being able to build AP faster and keep up BO/TW. Otherwise, high Crit and Trans Dread work nice together, especially with Templar's Wrath.

The key is Templar's Wrath temp hp. 300% of the dmg done. More dmg = more temp HP. When you see your bar in 700K- 1Million temp HP (this is a normal scenario, you can get much more going for it) then you feel like superman, I dont even use sanctuary once the temp HP are stabilished. Only for control immunity. Recovery with Justice path? a waste. Recovery was for the times of permabubble perma immunity.

All my current Defense comes from stats already on gear, SH buff, or boons, and the Azures on my companion (as you cant proc extra HP with Bondings.) I do have all Radiant R8/9 in my defense slots, soon to be upgraded (2x RP weekend in a few hours!) so hopefully I can get that to all at or around R10's. My SH doesnt have HP boon, just Def and Lifesteal. I do think that 200k HP is a solid goal, look forward to that!

no HP boon? huh thats bad... burn your guild!!!! xD

I will look into this some more. I jumped on lightning the day i read CD's get reduced for each chain, which fits the way I play. This, however, was prior to the recent changes to BO/DP. Again with the crit/dread combo. Debuffs are tricky, in that if two people have the same one, one of them basically doesn't have a weapon enchant (as far as I know, the same ones don't stack.)

Terror and Plaguefire doesnt stack with other of the same types. I dont see much people runing terror but well this is your preference. Feytouched works great but has the same problem if other party member is using it. The good thing about terror is that the debuff is applied with 1 hit to everyone. You can use Radiant Strike to get close and apply terror to everyone, and then your Templar's Wrath hit for much more.
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    nic1985 said:

@akira
    I deal with mobs very effectively with this rotation and strategy BO, Relentless, TW, Shield of faith daily; my strategy is once i have most/all the mobs aggro via Relentless. Then I start backing up/thinning out the mobs toward the nearest spawning fire (as they chase you down, use sanctuary for those aoes). This effectively keep the mobs chasing you, as dps take them down. Since I started doing this, my party members die much less.

For the Dragon Turtle, I use the same rotation as above. My strategy is stay close, once it start snapping move away under Sanctuary and when it release large aoes, use Relentless to get back to close range. It been very effective! At this boss I switch out my Shadowdemon (ineffective with this boss) with my Augment to keeping Recovery/Defensive stats high.

RA is a good AP builder, and the knockback at this point is pretty irrelevant as most of the mobs are CC immune/resistant, so I'll definitely look into that. Even with BO, threat management is pretty jumpy (my mileage.)

It seems like alot of OP's have ditched Divine Protector altogether in favor of SoF. I suppose I'm just stubborn on this point as I for one, find it hard to believe that the group overall can absorb the difference in Damage Reduction that they would lose having SoF instead of DP, and for two, REALLY want to be the one to keep DP relevant. Maybe dev's don't want us using DP anymore, but I kind of feel they can get bent. Perma-bubble may not be what it was, but I still believe it should be viable. If they really wanted it to be an "Oh HAMSTER" button, they would make the cast time a lot shorter or instant like Shield of Faith (can cast on the move, won't get canceled by doing literally anything but standing still, etc.)

Another thing I want to point out here, is that running BO > RA > TW would probably generate enough AP that keeping up SoF 100% is easily achievable, any thoughts here on ditching RA for Bane or Circle of Power for Turtle or even Druffi? (I'm partial to Bane) I usually test my AP building capability soloing large HE's in the SH, as the fights take long enough to go through a few rotations and typically there are CC's/AP drains to avoid. This lets me somewhat simulate running in a dungeon, but without the actual liability of four other player's time I could potentially waste wiping in a raid trying to test something new.
    Also, why is Shadowdemon ineffective on Turtle boss? Is it that any companion gets killed too much? Or just specifically this boss? Trying to see why you would run augment here instead of regular companion. At Rank 40, companions reliably self-rez, and I keep a Llira's Bell in my potion tray for those moments where my Zentarim Warlock dies I can instant revive her. I don't think I need to go over the math here as to how 3xR12 Bondings greatly out perform an augment.
    nic1985 said:

Agreed! It is nice to have a standard to weed out those who CAN tank, vs those who just push buttons!

Thanks for your input Nic1985, I look forward to this thread growing as time goes on!
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    @akira give my rotations/strategy a try in FBI, hope it work well for you as well.

DP daily i keep in my rotation with SoF for boss fight! At the moment DP still works well enough for certain situations.

With the recent changes to our core powers, OPs "tank" need to adjust. That mean having high base Damage Resistance, decent Recovery, slotting the best encounters/class features for the fight and often having good heals/party support.
    edited November 2016

The key is Templar's Wrath temp hp. 300% of the dmg done. More dmg = more temp HP. When you see your bar in 700K- 1Million temp HP (this is a normal scenario, you can get much more going for it) then you feel like superman, I dont even use sanctuary once the temp HP are stabilished. Only for control immunity. Recovery with Justice path? a waste. Recovery was for the times of permabubble perma immunity.

Thanks for pointing out there is no cap for Temp HP to me! I am probably going to be pulling for Dread or Terror here shortly, due to this. As far as permabubble goes, yes I do miss the days of being able to DP>Heroism 100% of the time, and yes I see how that can be game breaking, and no I'm not QQ'ing over that being taken away. It IS hard, however, to just flip playstyle/gear completely after you've invested nearly a year IRL learning and playing one way, then overnight being expected to still stay at that elite level when all your investments are now irrelevant. IF you have the time, I recommend watching Sharpedge Online's video of their run through FBI. They still run DP, vindicating in a sense to me, as I am definitely partial to DP over SoF. I'll probably be investing in a respec token (a few) soon so I can head over to test server and try different things out. A lot of ground to cover still.

no HP boon? huh thats bad... burn your guild!!!! xD

LOL. We're still growing, at Rank 14 now. They are a bunch of good guys, great people, and a solid handful endgame players. Not elitist, but I really like them. Working on Explorer's Boon right now, maybe once we hit R6 there, we'll pick up HP boons.

Terror and Plaguefire doesnt stack with other of the same types. I dont see much people runing terror but well this is your preference. Feytouched works great but has the same problem if other party member is using it. The good thing about terror is that the debuff is applied with 1 hit to everyone. You can use Radiant Strike to get close and apply terror to everyone, and then your Templar's Wrath hit for much more.

Again Terror is looking good as mentioned before. I'm personally over PF. It was my first weapon ench as a CW, then I shipped it to my OP. Was happy to trade it out for Lightning just to have something different. I could probably break even selling Lightining at this point and buying up Terror. Fresh outta wards, and ADex is still empty, HAMSTER...
    I really do like Radiant Strike over RA, as I get a gap closer, and can keep a different encounter power instead.

Thanks for all your thoughts Darthpotater! And for all you other OP's out there, feel free to chime in! Thank you all again!

nic1985 said:

@akira give my rotations/strategy a try in FBI, hope it work well for you as well.

DP daily i keep in my rotation with SoF for boss fight! At the moment DP still works well enough for certain situations.

With the recent changes to our core powers, OPs "tank" need to adjust. That mean having high base Damage Resistance, decent Recovery, slotting the best encounters/class features for the fight and often having good heals/party support.

Indeed! Flexibility is key to stay at the top of the game. I am also definitely partial to support roles in a group. GF/DC for buffs are a must have, and I'll take a debuffer as my 2nd DPS any day of the week! I also try really hard to only have one of each class in a party, that way I can eliminate as much redundancy and overlap as possible. I'll definitely be giving your rotation a go over this weekend sometime, just gotta carve out the time to get though my 2x RP and all that.

Thanks again!
    Any other OPs out there with thoughts/ideas? I'm interested to see what you think about:
    Various builds and their viability (does anyone competitively main a Bulwark Tank?),
    Does anyone else successfully run FBI as a Justice feated, heavy Recovery OP?
    Stats to stack (power/crit for offense and HP on defense seems to be the trend),
    Enchantment choices/justifications (Although I doubt I'll see anything but Negation for defense anytime soon),
    And any other ideas/critiques.

As a metric for comparison, the two FBI runs I've done took ~90 minutes, and I've heard this from a few other players as well. I'd be in SVA, but having a job and family keeps me from gaming like I used to in my teens and twenties. 3 more days of dailies and I'll see what SVA is all about, and perhaps mention it here if there is anything of note that I see.

On a side note, Radiants are looking like they will all be R10-11 after this weekend, 1 point away from that 4k mark! =P

I look forward to hearing from you all soon!

~Lightbringer
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    The emphasis on stacking HP has me baffled at times. Switching out Azures for Radiants might be an upgrade, but not as much as people make it out to be. Here's what HP does:

1) For a Prot OP, HP is Power through our Paragon ability that gives us power through getting hit, which caps at 10% of our HP.
    2) It increases the potential shielding provided by Absolution and Binding Oath, which cap at 50% and 100% of Max. HP respectively.
    3) It increases the amount of damage Aura of Courage does *for the Paladin themselves*.

What it does NOT do is increase the damage Aura of Courage does for party members. I made this point in another thread - that was removed - and people were discussing it in the thread by Becky. When it comes to the formula for Aura of Courage hits from party members, it takes the HP pool of said party members into consideration, not that of the Oathbound Paladin.

Consider this. If the power gain from getting hit caps at 10% of our max. HP, every 1k of HP gives us another 100 power. Taking the Aura Gifts feat from the Light tree, this would mean another 25 power for our teammates. Stacking HP to over 200k, we would personally gain about 20k Power, which would mean 5k Power for our teammates. If we take 150k HP as figure, we would gain 15k power, and would share 3.75k power.

Don't get me wrong, that's still a decent amount of Power, a handsome boost to damage, and probably the best option out there, but the investment cost is high compared to the return. Certainly, there's a point where boosting your Defense is a superior option, but that is hard to chart considering we're comparing offensive - in a roundabout way - to defensive stats here.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
    edited November 2016
    As for your questions: I too still stack Recovery through Cruel Enchantment in offense (Power/Recovery), a Ring of Rising Focus, the 'Restoration' variant of our Dragonflight Armors - haven't bothered restoring the Relic stuff yet - and a solidly equipped Bonding Companion. I also use a Transcendent Negation. Defensively, despite my earlier post, I also use Radiant Enchantments in Defense as my DR is capped.

My choice for Recovery has a lot to do with the gear, mounts and accessories I had to my disposal before they changed Divine Protector. I started my career as an Oath of Devotion Paladin in Mod 6, and firing off dailies back to back to keep Prism running would mean insane healing and damage back then, through Burning Guidance. With the ArP bug being omnipresent, the sheer healing power of Prism was a big help. To reach that goal, I acquired the Burning Weapons, a Flail Snail, AP Cloak, high Recovery, Wisdom offhand feat, etc., and I pretty much stuck with it.

There's a point - gear-wise - where you don't really have to worry too much about the difficult stat balance tango. My DR is capped - not counting mob ArP - with the help of a Sehanine companion, which comes with three defensive slots and - if she doesn't wander off too far - boosts my Critical Chance by 20%.

I do agree with Darth, though, that stacking Recovery might be a relic from the permabubble days, but I just love my dailies. I do sacrifice Crit for it - I would use Power/Crit in offense otherwise - but, if Sehanine golden showers me, I still sit at about 75% crit. I have no problems with my Temp. HP through Templar's Wrath at that point.

-

edit: Oh, you were asking for other enchantment options, too. Weapon wise, I really only consider Vorpal or Feytouched. Vorpal, at high crit, will help you gain that much more Temp. HP. Feytouched provides a different mode of defense, through lowering the damage output of the target affected. Lightning is another option, to provide even more cooldown reduction, but I couldnt stand the constant spam of Lightning Arcs across my screen.

Defensively, I'm using a Trans. Negation for the DR - considering mob ArP - but I've been having my doubts. The times you'll need the extra DR and Recovery would be boss fights, but it wont easily hit the 10 stacks - or sometimes, even more than 2 - in those fights. I have a Trans. Elven Battle sitting on another character, which I might give a go, considering I really hate stuns and latency and the general odd behaviour of Sanctuary does get me caught every now and then, especially when Radiant Strike 'rubber bands' and plays it's animation twice.

We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
    jaegernl said:

The emphasis on stacking HP has me baffled at times. Switching out Azures for Radiants might be an upgrade, but not as much as people make it out to be. Here's what HP does:

1) For a Prot OP, HP is Power through our Paragon ability that gives us power through getting hit, which caps at 10% of our HP.
    2) It increases the potential shielding provided by Absolution and Binding Oath, which cap at 50% and 100% of Max. HP respectively.
    3) It increases the amount of damage Aura of Courage does *for the Paladin themselves*.

What it does NOT do is increase the damage Aura of Courage does for party members. I made this point in another thread - that was removed - and people were discussing it in the thread by Becky. When it comes to the formula for Aura of Courage hits from party members, it takes the HP pool of said party members into consideration, not that of the Oathbound Paladin.

Consider this. If the power gain from getting hit caps at 10% of our max. HP, every 1k of HP gives us another 100 power. Taking the Aura Gifts feat from the Light tree, this would mean another 25 power for our teammates. Stacking HP to over 200k, we would personally gain about 20k Power, which would mean 5k Power for our teammates. If we take 150k HP as figure, we would gain 15k power, and would share 3.75k power.

Don't get me wrong, that's still a decent amount of Power, a handsome boost to damage, and probably the best option out there, but the investment cost is high compared to the return. Certainly, there's a point where boosting your Defense is a superior option, but that is hard to chart considering we're comparing offensive - in a roundabout way - to defensive stats here.

I agree. One thing to consider too is that those 5K more power for you is more dmg to sustain agro, and more Temp Hp with TW. Other thing is that if you cap DR you dont benefit from anything that boost your DR like negation, or other DR sources. I dont like soulforge or other armor enchants I tested.

The things are different from a low IL perspective when you have problems to survive than BIS when you only look for minor improvements to make runs faster and make the most for you and your team.
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    jaegernl said:

Thanks for the response! Particularly, the last line really sums it up - comparing offensive to defensive stats. Yes, I've done the math (pretty basic) for the returns on Aura Gifts, on paper it's pretty astounding, I just don't know if:
    1) Aura Gits has a cap for power that can be shared,
    2) At what point does Power hit diminishing returns (I have heard not at all, but I don't know if that extends to where your power is over 100k)

As far as Aura of Courage goes, I am kind of on the fence about it. I would rather take Aura of Protection, for the small (but relevant) boost to survivability, than a small (see, negligible) amount of a boost to party DPS. Especially knowing that AoC's damage boost is not based off of my hp, but that of the party.

Maybe I need to look into the viability of slotting Azures in defense slots. I know the general consensus here is that the DR gain from stacking Def is paltry, but when you're getting hit for hundreds of thousands of damage all the time, how much is and extra 11,200 HP (4x R12 Rad's) going to really help you out? If you would have taken say a 200,000 damage hit, but had 4x R12 Defense enchants instead (2800 Def = 7% DR) the resulting damage would be 186,000. The net difference here is 2800 effective hit points. This does change when running BO/Absolution, which swings HP stacking ahead of DR. Maybe I'm missing something here. Like I mentioned earlier, I have a lot of playing around with stat allocations, and testing things out before I can come to any sort of sound conclusion.

Also, keep in mind, I am speaking strictly about FBI here, all other content is pretty much speed runs at this point.

Hope to hear more from you and others!
    jaegernl said:

As for your questions: I too still stack Recovery through Cruel Enchantment in offense (Power/Recovery), a Ring of Rising Focus, the 'Restoration' variant of our Dragonflight Armors - haven't bothered restoring the Relic stuff yet - and a solidly equipped Bonding Companion. I also use a Transcendent Negation. Defensively, despite my earlier post, I also use Radiant Enchantments in Defense as my DR is capped.

I just have the Relic boots restored, lost a little bit of Recovery, but the gain in other stats was pretty significant, as well as having the EFR to get into FBI. What is the cap for DR? I've heard 60% or 80%. I think people may be confusing the 60% with ArP though.
    jaegernl said:

My choice for Recovery has a lot to do with the gear, mounts and accessories I had to my disposal before they changed Divine Protector. I started my career as an Oath of Devotion Paladin in Mod 6, and firing off dailies back to back to keep Prism running would mean insane healing and damage back then, through Burning Guidance. With the ArP bug being omnipresent, the sheer healing power of Prism was a big help. To reach that goal, I acquired the Burning Weapons, a Flail Snail, AP Cloak, high Recovery, Wisdom offhand feat, etc., and I pretty much stuck with it.

This is pretty much exactly where I am at. As far as gear goes at least, I never ran a healadin. But I do love my Dailies! Soloing I can just spam Divine Judgement, and I have enough AP Gain that I can pretty much spam DP every 5-8 seconds, barring getting hit with some cc that sanctuary decided not to block in time for.
    jaegernl said:

There's a point - gear-wise - where you don't really have to worry too much about the difficult stat balance tango. My DR is capped - not counting mob ArP - with the help of a Sehanine companion, which comes with three defensive slots and - if she doesn't wander off too far - boosts my Critical Chance by 20%.

I do have a wishlist of companions, and perhaps the bonuses I currently have could be seriously reworked to improve performance. They pretty much haven't changed since they were acquired, except for the Zent Warlock. It's just that sitting at 4k, I feel responsible for when the party wipes, and have not had this much difficulty with any content since I started, near the release of Mod 6.
    jaegernl said:

I do agree with Darth, though, that stacking Recovery might be a relic from the permabubble days, but I just love my dailies. I do sacrifice Crit for it - I would use Power/Crit in offense otherwise - but, if Sehanine golden showers me, I still sit at about 75% crit. I have no problems with my Temp. HP through Templar's Wrath at that point.

Perhaps I should look into switching out some Silveries for Azures. Or they can make a 2 stat offense enchant with Crit/Recovery. Otherwise, that Sehanine companion sounds pretty nice =D

-
    jaegernl said:

edit: Oh, you were asking for other enchantment options, too. Weapon wise, I really only consider Vorpal or Feytouched. Vorpal, at high crit, will help you gain that much more Temp. HP. Feytouched provides a different mode of defense, through lowering the damage output of the target affected. Lightning is another option, to provide even more cooldown reduction, but I couldnt stand the constant spam of Lightning Arcs across my screen.

I currently use Lightning, and I don't mind the arcs lol. I've seen quite a few other people run Feytouched, and am reluctant to have overlapping debuffs, but it is still a very good and viable option imo. Vorpal... I would need considerably more Crit if I was to take a vorp. Even reworking my boons, I would only walk away with maybe 3% more crit? Respeccing my feats however... could lead to a considerable increase at the cost of Wisdom. I'll be looking into it.
    jaegernl said:

Defensively, I'm using a Trans. Negation for the DR - considering mob ArP - but I've been having my doubts. The times you'll need the extra DR and Recovery would be boss fights, but it wont easily hit the 10 stacks - or sometimes, even more than 2 - in those fights. I have a Trans. Elven Battle sitting on another character, which I might give a go, considering I really hate stuns and latency and the general odd behaviour of Sanctuary does get me caught every now and then, especially when Radiant Strike 'rubber bands' and plays it's animation twice.

Same here, and I'm not surprised. I used to run Briartwine way back, which was cool, but with the recent changes felt like Negation was better equipped here. Haven't been disappointed. You are right in the sense that it can be hard (unrealistic?) to hit 10 stacks, but I'll keep an eye out to see if it builds off of consequential damage (AOE, Everfrost, DP, BO, etc.) If it does, that should at least keep you at or around 5+, which is still definitely in the realm of "good."

"generally odd behavior of Sanctuary... Radiant Strike 'rubber bands' ..." Yes... if only the abilities we had worked the way that they were supposed to, we probably wouldn't even be here right now, just... you know... playing the game... Any thoughts on the Sylph companion? That 50% control resist looks tasty... I figure I can store up AD, and eventually the ADx will have zen in it and I could buy one. It's just so hard investing in CC resist/immune when we have "tools" that should make it irrelevant (i.e. Heroism, Cleansing Touch, Sanctuary,) but they don't work the way that they should, or the way they work makes them inherently non-viable for end game content.
    Sure it may be fun to run Cleansing Touch in say Kessell's, because I can just break out of all the cc's and stand in the fire there, but in FBI, I don't need a sub-par (HAMSTER) heal that sometimes works to maybe break a cc that I'm in because as it casts I'm trying to move but by trying to move I cancel the cast in the first place and then just get killed to death in the face.

Thanks again for the input! You guys all have been a real treat, I hope that we can help each other out and others by continuing the conversation!

~Lightbringer
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    On the HP / DR question, my position is that a high level pally will either be ~150k HP & over 80% DR or ~200k HP and ~55% DR.

The latter is sacrificing a significant portion of DR to achieve an extra 1.25k shared power. Before the changes with BO (and DP) it was easy to ignore the damage caused by the lack of DR but now that's not really the case.

You get far more shared power by having a fully kitted out companion and you can get your DR up to the actual effective cap of -95% DR (when you bear in mind boss RI).

@akira#3219 I don't believe you put your Armor Pen/Resistance Ignored stat on your original post. RI is extremely important to your build because you need to do full damage to enemies to achieve high temp health and attract aggro.
    Can you let us know what your RI stat is?

Re Darth's comment about armor enchantment - due to high DR making Negation unnecessary I run with a trans fireburst for a nice combination of burst and DoT damage that hits up to 6 enemies. With recent changes it now has a 20% trigger chance once every 20 secs.
    Post edited by armadeonx on
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    armadeonx said:

On the HP / DR question, my position is that a high level pally will either be ~150k HP & over 80% DR or ~200k HP and ~55% DR.

The latter is sacrificing a significant portion of DR to achieve an extra 1.25k shared power. Before the changes with BO (and DP) it was easy to ignore the damage caused by the lack of DR but now that's not really the case.

You get far more shared power by having a fully kitted out companion and you can get your DR up to the actual effective cap of -95% DR (when you bear in mind boss RI).

GASP! I must need to make some serious re-evaluations to my stats then! I sit at around 160K HP and ~60% DR.
    armadeonx said:

@akira#3219 I don't believe you put your Armor Pen/Resistance Ignored stat on your original post. RI is extremely important to your build because you need to do full damage to enemies to achieve high temp health and attract aggro.
    Can you let us know what your RI stat is?

As far as ArPen, so sorry didn't even think about posting, but its just over 6k (~60%). I also read some interesting things lately with regards to companion gear, and using the "Sudden" versions on your companions. I currently have all Loyal Commander (Power/Recovery) gear on my Zhent Warlock, back from when the gateway worked (/cry) but I may have to look into Fire Archon as my active (big SIGH here...) for the extra ring slot to make it worth it.

As far as holding aggro, it's not so much the "holding aggro" thats the issue, it's more the "surviving holding aggro," where I seem to be coming up short.
    armadeonx said:

Re Darth's comment about armor enchantment - due to high DR making Negation unnecessary I run with a trans fireburst for a nice combination of burst and DoT damage that hits up to 6 enemies. With recent changes it now has a 20% trigger chance once every 20 secs.

Fireburst seems interesting, something maybe I can look into once I deal with my survivability issues. I just don't believe trash (see: Giants) should be so much of an issue. Presently, I feel like I'm better served grabbing as much DR and increasing the temp HP Templar's Wrath can get me as possible. I did try to watch my statuses as I could, negation seemed to get up to 6 at the max before stacks were dying as they were building. Boss fights, stacks floated around 3.

On a side note, I took a mostly under-geared (2.3-2.8k) through Castle Never earlier today. BO > TW > BL : DP line up. Everything was more or less fine (occasional individual deaths, first time through for a couple) until Orcus. 2 wipes later, swapped BL for Bane, and DP for SoF. A lot of careful (see: "Stressed out, 400 apm, no blinking, about 5 minutes) gameplay later, we cleared. Everyone was happy and went on their way. The take away here for me is I now feel like I can put a lot more confidence in SoF than I used to. Party was AA DC, GWF, CW, SW, and myself. The main reason I went along (beside helping out some guildies) was to see how much SoF could do. Apparently, enough.

Thanks for your input armadeonx! Look forward to hearing more from you and others! For those of you reading, if you want to share your various successes (and failures) here, feel free to do so!
    Also, for everyone out there - Dragon Turtle and Giant Slam... wtf bro...
  • nightranger7477nightranger7477 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    Stacks every time it slams, either got to burn it down with deeps or stand back out of red to avoid the stacking. Can be a real pain if party doesn't understand the mechanics.

Stacks every time it slams, either got to burn it down with deeps or stand back out of red to avoid the stacking. Can be a real pain if party doesn't understand the mechanics.

I tried explaining it... It seems not everyone (most) players don't read up or watch videos online to see how the fights work. I'll try again later tonight. My play times aren't necessarily during peak hours though, so pickings can be slim for a group. Hopefully as more people figure it out, it won't be as rough going.
    UPDATE:
    Ended up grabbing a free respec token from that Third Eye lady, mainly to take 3/3 Force of Will, and trade out Recovery boons for Crit. Swapped out my Pure Lightning for a Greater Dread (definitely a noticeable change on the weapon enchants!). The only gear swapping I did was take out my Waters of Elah'zad for Sigil of the Oathbound (I already had the sigil at mythic). After playing around with a few different skill rotations, I can handily say that - generally speaking - people just don't need Divine Protector. I've had a few successful (~30-35 minutes) FBI and Master SVA runs today, where I never ran DP at all, which was nice. The common themes in groups for FBI was there was always one AA DC, and a GWF, the remaining two spots were always some other form of DPS or DPS/Debuffs. Also, still no relic gear from the chest at the end.

For FBI, I've been running Templar's Wrath > Divine Touch > Smite > Shield of Faith. If I'm having trouble holding aggro, I swap out Divine Touch for Binding Oath, but usually one Divine Justice is enough to bring everything back my way. Boss fights are TW > Smite > Bane, although on Dragon Turtle I've had equal success with swapping Bane for Circle of Power.

I ran a lot of CN as well, mainly to see what different rotations may be viable for how I play. Had some fun running with an Anointed Army DC where I ran TW>CoP>Bane > SoF with Sigil of the Oathbound in my active slot. Facetanking Orcus like it was pre-BO nerf was entertaining. Still kept DP for the trash all the way to the end tho, mainly just because I can. For the new content though, it's probably looking like I'll have to shelve DP until I get my HP/Def much higher than they currently are. I'm also looking into taking Sigil of the Guardian for my active, in certain scenarios, for those various, "oh no," or, "this is going to hurt," moments. Once I play around with it, I'll let you all know my mileage.

Thanks again to everyone for stopping by, and throwing out your experiences/inputs!

~Lightbringer
    Good to hear that things are not as bad as I thought they would be with these new changes to bo.... I'm on Xbox and we still have yet to see these changes yet.... have you tried the new sacred weapon yet?

Good to hear that things are not as bad as I thought they would be with these new changes to bo.... I'm on Xbox and we still have yet to see these changes yet.... have you tried the new sacred weapon yet?

Honestly can't say I have given Sacred Weapon a try, it was neat when you were level 10, but I don't really see it having any place at 70. Can't really afford the cast time in combat, and you have Oath Strike, Vow of Enmity, Binding Oath, Divine Justice (see: multiple, ways to generate threat if you need to, that are actually effective in end-game content.

UNLESS: you meant the new relic weapons from the questing in SoMI, the short answer is, no I have not.

End state is that, no things are not as bad as they may seem upfront, unless you happen to be heavily invested into recovery (permabubble), in which case you may just have to relearn how to tank (I did, lol.) Thanks for swinging by!

~Lightbringer
    No I'm currently 4200il and hv about 8200 recovery, very low crit owlbear cub build so I will be going the crit build route after the owlbear cub nerf, I was referring to the 50% damage increase that occurs to the sacred weapon encounter with the pally changes that come with mod 10.5
    I am interested if it is worth slotting because it has always been a worthless power. I use Shield of faith mainly and rarely ever use the bubble.....
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User

No I'm currently 4200il and hv about 8200 recovery, very low crit owlbear cub build so I will be going the crit build route after the owlbear cub nerf, I was referring to the 50% damage increase that occurs to the sacred weapon encounter with the pally changes that come with mod 10.5

I am interested if it is worth slotting because it has always been a worthless power. I use Shield of faith mainly and rarely ever use the bubble.....

Slotting it where? In a dungeon vs adds you need aoe, vs a boss you need defensive encounters. In PVP you will be perma cced and killed if you dont slot CT, then you also take BO/TW and the third is RA/BL/Smite... I dont really see where one would use Sacred Weapon besides the test dummies.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • slappdanielslappdaniel Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    emilemo said:

Slotting it where? In a dungeon vs adds you need aoe, vs a boss you need defensive encounters. In PVP you will be perma cced and killed if you dont slot CT, then you also take BO/TW and the third is RA/BL/Smite... I dont really see where one would use Sacred Weapon besides the test dummies.

Honestly can't say I have given Sacred Weapon a try, it was neat when you were level 10, but I don't really see it having any place at 70. Can't really afford the cast time in combat, and you have Oath Strike, Vow of Enmity, Binding Oath, Divine Justice (see: multiple, ways to generate threat if you need to, that are actually effective in end-game content.

UNLESS: you meant the new relic weapons from the questing in SoMI, the short answer is, no I have not.

End state is that, no things are not as bad as they may seem upfront, unless you happen to be heavily invested into recovery (permabubble), in which case you may just have to relearn how to tank (I did, lol.) Thanks for swinging by!

~Lightbringer
    Sacred Weapon is currently BIS for bosses. Iam still not sure if i like it for giants or other trash but it does tons of damage. My current setup for trash is Sacred Weapon/Smite/Templars (still not sure whats best here. for some groups it might me better to use Burning light or Binding Oath to gain more Action Points for your daily). Setup for bosses is Sacred Weapon/Smite/Bane (you could also use Circle of Power instead of Bane).
    edited November 2016
    Well in the case @slappdaniel I guess you and I are playing indeed a different game. One thing tho, how do you substitute a skill that reduces the enemy damage output with a skill that simply gives you DR till cap? Makes zero sense.
    emilemo said:

Well in the case @slappdaniel I guess you and I are playing indeed a different game. One thing tho, how do you substitute a skill that reduces the enemy damage output with a skill that simply gives you DR till cap? Makes zero sense.

You mean Circle of Power at bossfight? Its just for the ego 25% dmg boost and gives DR to rest of the team. Most of the time i use bane tho. Sometimes i just like to see the ~5-10mil dailys at turtle for example. just for the luls.

emilemo said:

You mean Circle of Power at bossfight? Its just for the ego 25% dmg boost and gives DR to rest of the team. Most of the time i use bane tho. Sometimes i just like to see the ~5-10mil dailys at turtle for example. just for the luls.
    Bane provides a damage boost as well, only not just to the pally but to the whole team.. It also provides a function similar to adding DR to the team by reducing the boss damage output.. Still makes no sense to use CoP unless you can use both at the same time. You did write that you use mostly Bane but it still seems strange to me hearing a Pally player even suggesting swapping Bane for CoP at a boss fight.
    emilemo said:

emilemo said:

Bane provides a damage boost as well, only not just to the pally but to the whole team.. It also provides a function similar to adding DR to the team by reducing the boss damage output.. Still makes no sense to use CoP unless you can use both at the same time. You did write that you use mostly Bane but it still seems strange to me hearing a Pally player even suggesting swapping Bane for CoP at a boss fight.
    "just for the luls." bane damage bonus is not even close to CoP.
    edited November 2016
    Not all buffs are created equal. Bane is an increase in Effectiveness, while Circle of Power is a boost to damage output.

Not saying I value one more than the other, but it's good to keep the above in mind when comparing one to the other. The same goes for Defensive buffs, btw. A buff to damage resistance is not the same as a debuff on the enemy for reduced damage output.