test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need 13Gb of HDD space for updates - cannot install, cannot play

nezdin#5514 nezdin Member Posts: 259 Arc User
I just tried to log onto the game and it said it needed to install 14Gb of updates. I have 13Gb. The result is that I cannot play.

I usually just blindly click on "patch" or updates and don't pay attention to the size they take on my relatively small HDD - didn't have a problem until now. Is it normal to have to give up such a big chunk of HDD for an update? If this sort of update is the only way, then I guess I will have to uninstall and quit the game without even being to access my characters and distribute enchants and whatever else I can give away which is a shame.
Nezdin (DC)
Aelan Icebleed (CW)

Comments

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    I guess you could try to enable on-demand patching in the launcher, and see if that at least lets you get in the game.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    fjdkslsfjdksls Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    The problem is, the game doesn't really NEED that much, at least it didn't for me. I had 10GB free, had to free up to 16 (thanks for the spring cleaning reminder, at least). After patching, I'm still at 16GB free.

I think it's a bug (an actual one) in the installer, such that it doesn't recognize the amount of free space relative to the size of the update being installed.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Is the patch failing, or are you cancelling it yourself due to thinking you won't have space?

The amount shown isn't the download size, but the total size of the files that will be patched. That's why the completed patch doesn't take nearly that kind of room (and the download often skips along rapidly).

I've only ever played NW installed to a very spacious drive. Does patching fail if you don't have the free space shown in that total?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I had this same problem yesterday when I launched through the arc launcher. It said I needed to install a huge update.

That's not right though, since there wasn't a patch and I was playing fine the day before. So i just started the game through Neverwinter.exe directly rather than the Arc launcher and it worked.

I haven't had a chance to test again to see if the issue persists. And I'm going on vacation for a week so I won't be able to test until I'm back Nov 11th or so. But maybe this would work for you too? It might be an issue with the arc launcher rather than Neverwinter proper.
  • Options
    fjdkslsfjdksls Member Posts: 36 Arc User

Is the patch failing, or are you cancelling it yourself due to thinking you won't have space?

The amount shown isn't the download size, but the total size of the files that will be patched. That's why the completed patch doesn't take nearly that kind of room (and the download often skips along rapidly).

I've only ever played NW installed to a very spacious drive. Does patching fail if you don't have the free space shown in that total?

I wasn't allowed to patch until I freed up the space. The screen presented made it look like I was doing a fresh install, even though it was just the Liar's event patch.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Yeah, definitely check dupeks' post, since there was no patch yesterday.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Maybe check to make sure you don't have any of the Preview shard downloaded? You should be able to delete whatever preview shard data you have without hurting live server files. Maybe if that's the case it can give you enough room to open the game?

Neverwinter game files take up about 36ish GB of HD space for me but that includes the test server. Is that other peoples experience too?
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options

Let's start with the facts before you go blaming Cryptic for anything. The entire game is currently about 20GB per server + about 4GB for general game data. So if you have to patch 14GB, that's a whee bit more than just 1 update. Based on the little information you provide in favor of feeling sorry for yourself,

Was not going to blame anyone. I am running from a dual-boot Linux/Windows system laptop and am very aware of its limitations including a small HDD. This is the first game I have played in 10 years, so yes if I must uninstall it, I will - in spite of this being the least desirable option for me. There is no need to be irritable.

Nezdin (DC)
    Aelan Icebleed (CW)
  • Options

Thanks for the info. I was wondering this actually, every time I saw the size of the said patches. Didn't realise what exactly they referred to.
    Nezdin (DC)
    Aelan Icebleed (CW)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    fjdksls said:

I wasn't allowed to patch until I freed up the space. The screen presented made it look like I was doing a fresh install, even though it was just the Liar's event patch.
    This is EXACTLY what I saw too. So what I did is delete the preview folder...this released lots of space but unfortunately not enough! I am at 13, and the patch needs 14.

Maybe check to make sure you don't have any of the Preview shard downloaded? You should be able to delete whatever preview shard data you have without hurting live server files. Maybe if that's the case it can give you enough room to open the game?

Neverwinter game files take up about 36ish GB of HD space for me but that includes the test server. Is that other peoples experience too?

Nezdin (DC)
    Aelan Icebleed (CW)
  • Options
    dupeks said:

I had this same problem yesterday when I launched through the arc launcher. It said I needed to install a huge update.

That's not right though, since there wasn't a patch and I was playing fine the day before. So i just started the game through Neverwinter.exe directly rather than the Arc launcher and it worked.

I haven't had a chance to test again to see if the issue persists. And I'm going on vacation for a week so I won't be able to test until I'm back Nov 11th or so. But maybe this would work for you too? It might be an issue with the arc launcher rather than Neverwinter proper.

I also played the game just fine every day including yesterday. I will try your suggestion and see if it starts via Neverwinter.exe !
    Nezdin (DC)
    Aelan Icebleed (CW)
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    i would recommended to get a PC book, it is external hard drive disk, i got and using 3 tetrabyte mem ram.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Finally, I tried to run the game via Neverwinter.exe but it failed.

So I uninstalled everything, and reinstalled the game and launcher from scratch. It now works normally from the launcher. Am wondering should I log this as a bug or something seeing that it is not only I who had was affected ?
    Nezdin (DC)
    Aelan Icebleed (CW)
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    I'm glad you got it worked out @nezdin#5514
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    wylonus said:

i would recommended to get a PC book, it is external hard drive disk, i got and using 3 tetrabyte mem ram.

I don't think you mean RAM, unless you're using the drive as Virtual Memory, which wouldn't be worth it, unless its a SSDD, and even then....

• Options
    etelgrin said:

I just tried to log onto the game and it said it needed to install 14Gb of updates. I have 13Gb. The result is that I cannot play.

I usually just blindly click on "patch" or updates and don't pay attention to the size they take on my relatively small HDD - didn't have a problem until now. Is it normal to have to give up such a big chunk of HDD for an update? If this sort of update is the only way, then I guess I will have to uninstall and quit the game without even being to access my characters and distribute enchants and whatever else I can give away which is a shame.

Have you tried uninstalling the game, it should free up some of your HDD space.
    Yes thanks, that's what I finally did. Uninstalled and reinstalled the whole thing; miraculously it worked i.e.: the 14Gb that the update claimed to want to install was not even needed, in spite of it stopping me from playing.
    Nezdin (DC)
    Aelan Icebleed (CW)
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Glad you got it working Nezdin.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min