test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alternatives to Loyal Companion Gear

sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
So I’ve done some digging and stat comparisons to see what alternatives we have currently - especially in light of the Mimic King stating that the Loyal gear was over powered (Twitch Transcript).

Companion slots are always from the following types: ring, neck, waist, talisman, grimoire, icon, and sword knot. Whilst there are companion only variants (Stronghold companion gear, Loyal x gear, and Adorable x gear), companions can also utilise items that the player themselves could use.

So the current available gear that can help you outfit your companion today, plus what stats do they offer?

Loyal Gear
So if you have a spare arm, and a leg (and potentially some kidneys as well), you can pick these up for a pretty penny/ad via the AH. Loyal gear has always offered the best stats and as the Mimic King stated, is probably overpowered compared to the rest (see below).

The Loyal gear all had 1304 stat points (split between 2 stats) + 10% bonus for the companion, except for the loyal Avenger which was a full 1739 stat points (split between 3 stats). Each piece has 1 Offense slot and 1 Defense slot.

Adorable Gear
Also super expensive as these only drop from the Leg companion pack from the New Life lockbox (seriously Devs, you let 12 pieces drop from the orange version, you couldn't let 3 drop from the purple??). Stats were more in line with what the rest of the game has on offer.

Adorable gear provides 869 stat points (split between 2), and all have 2 enchant slots - now majority have 1 Offense and 1 Defense, however there is a variant that have 2 Offense, and a variant that has 2 Defense slots.

Stronghold Companion Gear
The final companion only gear that can be obtained, these drop from the Stronghold HEs (Big and Medium) as rare drops. There are 5 different versions of stats (based off the enemy you are fighting). Everything is bound to character on pickup though, so you need to be lucky.

Stronghold companion gear provides 869 stat points (split between 2), and each piece has 1 Defense Slot and 1 Overload slot (because this is pretty much the only way people might ever buy the companion overload enchants from the gemonger)

Now - as we know there are other ways to obtain half decent gear that are either rings, necks, waists, talismans, grimoires, icons, or sword knots - and that is via Professions. Your stat allocations aren’t awful - however not all gear types have a double slot capability. Also, all of the craftable gear comes from Rare tasks (which is a nightmare to deal with/locate since Gateway was shut down)

Jewelcrafting
For Rings, Necks, and Waist types - remember when personalised rings were BIS for your toons? Well, now all of these are alternatives to the companion only gear above.

Each of them came with 3 variants (although the one with HP is useless for Bonding companions, and really, who would want regen from bonding stones?), so we are left with either our Piercing or Recovery variants. Each item can provide 788 stat points (or 866 for necklaces) which is split between 2 stats. They are also the only craftable gear that can have 2 slots (1 Offense and 1 Defense) - remember these are bound to character when you make them, so you need to personalise them on the toon you are going to use them on.

Artificing
The realm of Talismans, Grimoires, and Icons - now not as amazing as the Jewelcrafting types as they only have 1 enchant slot and cannot be personalised (but you can craft them on any toon, or grab off the AH) but still give decent stats.

There are 3 variants for each item type (each has different stat combos), but all provide 878 stat points (split between 2 stats) plus 1 Offense slot - for majority of builds out there, offense slots are a thousand times better than defense so puts these miles ahead of the Stronghold companion gear (at least for Talismans, Grimoires, and Icons).

Weaponsmithing
Sadly the last category is a bit of a let down, as Weaponsmithing provides only ONE Sword Knot that you can craft (at rank 25). However it follows the same rules as Artificing gear - 878 stat points (Critical Strike and Armor Pen - so not shabby) and 1 Offense slot.

So, since we still have no indication of when Loyal gear will make a comeback (and if it does, my guess is the stats are going to be toned down to be in line with Adorable and the rest), hopefully the above info at least gives some alternative options to gear out your companions, at a more affordable price.
Tagged:

Comments

• crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    Thank you for the information.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Good stuff Sorce. Glad I have an abundance of Loyal gear of all sorts in storage. Would rather keep it for future alts than make a fortune now.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    Thanks for the research. I had forgotten about some of those.

:)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Masterwork crafting for ring/neck/waist.

Underdark rings.

Ask a console player what they use! (heh)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

Good stuff Sorce. Glad I have an abundance of Loyal gear of all sorts in storage. Would rather keep it for future alts than make a fortune now.

I'd sell it now and make a fortune. Thomas was pretty clear that it'll get nerfed to be back in line with the other gear once it's added back to the game.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1

Thomas was pretty clear that it'll get nerfed to be back in line with the other gear once it's added back to the game.

Can't be sure that this will entail changing stats on extant items or not though. Depends if they modify and reintroduce the old items or make a new series of companion gear.

I've sold some items and kept others, not that I had a huge stockpile to start.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    One more potential option:
    Blue/Green gear from the AH and/or drops. Probably the weakest, but usually dirt cheap to free.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

Thomas was pretty clear that it'll get nerfed to be back in line with the other gear once it's added back to the game.

Can't be sure that this will entail changing stats on extant items or not though. Depends if they modify and reintroduce the old items or make a new series of companion gear.
    While I know no one likes a nerf, I think it would be even more poorly received if older players benefited from all these "legacy" items, while newer players were left with the revised items. I have to imagine it's also easier to just "fix" the stats on the existing items, then create an entirely new set of items.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1

While I know no one likes a nerf, I think it would be even more poorly received if older players benefited from all these "legacy" items, while newer players were left with the revised items. I have to imagine it's also easier to just "fix" the stats on the existing items, then create an entirely new set of items.
    Erm isn't that what is currently happening with legacy gear like HV? That hasn't been nerfed yet for some strange reason, just no longer obtainable. Regardless, it will be a long time before they touch Loyal gear so I'll keep benefit from them while I can.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    I think it is clear that they plan to nerf bonding, which will be an indirect nerf to companion gear. And then they also plan to nerf avenger gear? I would rather think they will make use this oppotunity to put them into the new lockbox.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
    edited September 2016

Their track record is mixed.

The GF epic sets that could be equipped at level 30-something still exist, and were changed to "Ancient Knight Captain" and stuff like that. Only new drops were affected. But I certainly couldn't say what drove that decision, or if they'd even do that today.

There's also that weird thing with the Lantern of Revelation where it gives more debuff if you obtained yours prior to a certain point (I'd have to check Sharp's guide for the timeline).

While it does give older players an advantage, they don't always go with the flat nerf.

On the other hand, the "legacy" mounts with the grandfathered stats have been left alone most likely because it's easier to just have one version of them than two. On the other hand, they might opt for non-legacy versions if they put those mounts into the t-bar store, to avoid having the inconsistent (ie. stronger than other epics) ones universally available.

Sometimes it's hard to guess what they'll do.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• sigillmacfinnsigillmacfinn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Also worth noting for lower level players is that Companions can have items that are currently of a higher level than "you" - it's also a good way of storing items you want for yourself when you reach that level.
    Post edited by sigillmacfinn on
    ..... rolling 1's for over 25 years .....

The Harbingers' Forums - What Class Are You - Search The Neverwinter Wiki

• aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User

The GF epic sets that could be equipped at level 30-something still exist, and were changed to "Ancient Knight Captain" and stuff like that. Only new drops were affected. But I certainly couldn't say what drove that decision, or if they'd even do that today.

There's also that weird thing with the Lantern of Revelation where it gives more debuff if you obtained yours prior to a certain point (I'd have to check Sharp's guide for the timeline).

While it does give older players an advantage, they don't always go with the flat nerf.

On the other hand, the "legacy" mounts with the grandfathered stats have been left alone most likely because it's easier to just have one version of them than two. On the other hand, they might opt for non-legacy versions if they put those mounts into the t-bar store, to avoid having the inconsistent (ie. stronger than other epics) ones universally available.

Alright--How many hands do you have??? :p

No wonder you can post so much good information.
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    aslan3775 said:

Bahahahahahahaha. It may be because I've just gotten up and it's 4am (seriously who gets up at 4am to play D&D... oh wait, most of us), but this has me cackling like a crazy person.
    Ummmm... on the other other other hand....

Neverwinter Census 2017

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User

aslan3775 said:

Bahahahahahahaha. It may be because I've just gotten up and it's 4am (seriously who gets up at 4am to play D&D... oh wait, most of us), but this has me cackling like a crazy person.
    Nobody gets up at 4am to play D&D. You just don't sleep and play non-stop way after 4am. :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User

You mean like all the Legacy mounts that they left sitting around?

I suspect what is out there will remain as-is, and a new set of companion gear will be introduced (and ideally, via the Seal vendor, so there can be at least 2 tiers to get).
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User

aslan3775 said:

Nobody gets up at 4am to play D&D. You just don't sleep and play non-stop way after 4am. :)
    I went to bed at 11pm to get up at 4am (I'm 12 hours ahead of east coast US where majority of my group are :P)
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @confusedpoof Thanks for the list, I will post it on my Facebook group for others. I already use a few Underdark rings on my companions. This will help player plenty once the nerf takes hold.

@cdnbison and my friends call me the optimist. Does anyone else think they will allow me to run about Neverwinter with my "OP" companions, once the change is made? o.O I really hope you are correct friend, however I never thought I would see a company who abandons the money making tool they have and cater to ego driven gambling methods instead.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • nevfenevfe Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    Loyal gear wasn't overpowered as it was available to everyone on an equal basis. Rather the other gear is underpowered.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    nevfe said:

Loyal gear wasn't overpowered as it was available to everyone on an equal basis. Rather the other gear is underpowered.

Yea, that argument was tried before they nerfed the lostmouth set. It didn't work then either. Overpowered has nothing to do with availability, but its stats and effects compared to comparable gear.
  • tvcitytvcity Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    i am a casual player and had to grind a long time to get bondings and loyal gear...the day they nerf those will be the day i leave this game (if not sooner)..
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    Can I have your stuff? (Just beating the rush).:-P

Seriously, though, bonding stones are likely to get a review to help deal the the power share creep that has become problematic. And Loyal Avenger gear, on a pure stat point basis is BiS by quite a margin, enough that there were no other options. Now, though, they can go back to the drawing board and retool things.
    edited October 2016
    It still boggles the mind how they let things get out of hand like this. First the Underdark rings and then mount insignia bonuses. The Loyal companion gear can't even compare. Why is it that we, the players, have to continuously suffer for their numerous stuff-ups?
    Our pain is self chosen.

• xfznn1xfznn1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    the problem here isn't the loyal gear, the problem is the bonding stones, augment companions are now useless, and if they nerf this gear will be even more, cause any other gear with bonding will be OP.
  • krymkackrymkac Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Whatever they do i really hope we wont have to run around with puke mass flying around the face or goats. I like use different companions that match my transmutes/ideas i had in mind when created my characters. And seriously go get some runes & stop with this nerf HAMSTER. Sure as hell i am not spending 40-60 min in cn for 2k salvage cause some want "balance". Not everyone enjoys being screwed over & over.
    For 375 Demonic Ichor you can grab a Drow Craft Ring for your companions (the few that use them) . I know that means a lot of farming demonic encounters, but it is better than spending the time in Castle Never I suppose. Does anyone have any suggestions for neck items other than crafting?
    wb-cenders.gif
  • ajlir#7970 ajlir Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    null

For 375 Demonic Ichor you can grab a Drow Craft Ring for your companions (the few that use them) . I know that means a lot of farming demonic encounters, but it is better than spending the time in Castle Never I suppose. Does anyone have any suggestions for neck items other than crafting?

Probably Elemental Elven, which needs Black Ice Profession or just plain Elven Necklace from...Seals Vendor, yeah. Almost forgot.
    Also, I am attempting to find a player who can verify the drop location for Elemental Elven Assault Necklace all we have on the wiki is the Elemental Evil campaign.

If you know for sure, where this item is found let me know or just edit the wiki. Thanks!
    wb-cenders.gif