What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Lead MimicKing talks about Foundry

2»

Comments

• Options
    iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Thanks @zebular! It's a time consuming process for sure.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    he later mentioned a few things that he would like to add to the NW foundry
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    Thank you very much @Zebular for the transcript, it's really appreciated for those who don't have english as first language.

More or less I understood what he said, but now with the transcript I understand it much better.

I think it's a good idea the tavern in the stronghold related to the foundry, I don't know if it will work or increase the actual plays, but I support this. Maybe if you do a Foundry (15 min or more, the eligible ones) and get some related reward for the Stronghold mimic, it sure will increase the number of plays. Yeah, yeah, I know, every guild will do his own foundry... Then maybe only featured ones will be able to give stronghold mimic rewards, so... it's an idea.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    zebular said:

Thomas: "I love Foundry, I've built Foundry Missions. I helped prototype it. I ran through a Foundry Mission just the other day, it was this cool wizard's tower. It had some great lore in there, I wrote it down somewhere, the author's name, I give him praise and cool money. But it was really great because the first thing you do, is you walked into a... it was like a school of wizardry, and there are cats running everywhere and this cat... there's this scroll on the table and the cat jumps up on this scroll and you click on it and it's like "well of course that's what cats do.." Good story telling. I love that so, thanks! Shout out to that Dungeon Master that created that."

Oh! I missed the part about the school. Yes, that is my foundry then. You are very welcome, @mimicking#6533. Of course that is my freshman effort so I cringe a bit when I look at it now.

One small correction :) "gave her praise and cool money". I'm a college professor in her early 40s. My students are AMAZED that I have been playing D&D since 8th grade.

On to the other topic, would Cryptic even be interested in entertaining the thought of this hypothetical Kickstarter? There are precedents for established companies doing Kickstarters for side projects. Kickstarter also has rules set up to make sure the companies that get the money do what they say they will. I would assume it would take several months to actually go from idea to actual fundraiser, but it might be worth exploring. Andy, (@strumslinger) would you be willing to float this idea passed the people who make these decisions?
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options

Thank you very much @Zebular for the transcript, it's really appreciated for those who don't have english as first language.

More or less I understood what he said, but now with the transcript I understand it much better.

I think it's a good idea the tavern in the stronghold related to the foundry, I don't know if it will work or increase the actual plays, but I support this. Maybe if you do a Foundry (15 min or more, the eligible ones) and get some related reward for the Stronghold mimic, it sure will increase the number of plays. Yeah, yeah, I know, every guild will do his own foundry... Then maybe only featured ones will be able to give stronghold mimic rewards, so... it's an idea.

Good, we must remember to feed mimics properly. :p Otherwise they might evolve into this:

And we really don't want that. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    Here's the final transcript of the Q&A: Link!
  • Options
    wraithgorewraithgore Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    @melinden I am unsure how Kickstarter, Endigo or any other crowd funded system will allow this. I remember reading in Kickstarter and a few others I have investigated their terms state, it needs to be a new company/item. Though I agree they need help in funding, this is actually a topic I have debates with my Guild members on continually. Stating, Yes this is a free to play system but servers, employees and the like do not get paid out of thin air or not paid at all. If that were the case, NWO would not have been brought to light from what I remember hearing years back. I have also commented in my debates that they (Cryptic) are actually funded by Arc/Perfect World and possibly WOTC. I really don't know for sure on WOTC but it is apparent they are part of what new content they push out (example Rise of Tiamat came out same time as Rise of the Dragon Queen.)

It would be nice to see new Foundry content, and as I personally do like, "Tired of being the hero", it is a bit annoying after the 22nd or 23rd run. Just would like to see some people with other Foundries whether series based on not in those lists. I remember 3 years ago a great thread was made on the old Arc Forums of how to make a Foundry Mission, whether it's still here i am unsure. Though personally I will say this as a developer, we do need to improve the Foundry, but looking at it in perspective of priority, there are bigger items in the honey do list with programming than the Foundry.

Was it mentioned that we are currently on a 2nd team working across 3 Platforms(PC, XBOX, PS4) for developers. So there has been an upward battle to learn code that is honestly spaghetti like MS Windows XP. I personally am glad they have gotten done thus far certain class fixes/enhancements and god knows what else they may have had to reverse engineer to figure out balancing.

I will end with, @melinden great to hear you were playing Original D&D in 8th grade (I presume the original). And yes people are shocked at generational gaps that us older crowd do know what umber hulks are and that munchkins aren't just from Dunkin Donuts.
    |
    Take Care.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    There are plenty of crowdfunding sites that would allow this, no reason to discount the idea because the specifically named site wouldn't allow it... Kickstarter is nearly as ubiquitous a term for crowdfunding as Google is for search. The more important question is whether Cryptic or PWE would be willing to accept funding in this way - there's a lot of touchy legal and policy issues they'd need to deal with first since PWE is a publicly-traded company.

My first D&D book was this one, along with the D&D boxed set. I got it as a gift on my 7th birthday in 1982. I still have it in a box down in my basement. Been playing D&D ever since :)

• Options
    Also, we don't know the terms of their D&D license.

It'd probably be ok as long as it was limited to things already in-game but not in Foundry. Actual player made-assets? enh... seems like a licensing nightmare.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    wraithgorewraithgore Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    @kvet I agree there are others as I stated, Endigo as one of them. It is dependent on the project but a lot of what I am seeing here are assumptions that we sadly have no clear information from the main source, that being Cryptic, as to whether any of what is fully said here is Valid to help them or not. (at least on this page of the discussion). And yes it could be a licensing nightmare in many regards. IMHO there are too many hands in the pot guiding this. All we can do is put in our two cents and hope it is utilized for the better.
  • Options
    josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    kvet said:

Awesome, my brother has that same book. Guess he picked the right alliance to join (Dragonarm member here). :wink:
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!