test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need Dev comunication about the gateway!

brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User
So the Gateway has been down for about a week now and there is still no Devs coming out to say anything about it, not even stating how long it will be down.
You made it clear to me that the gateway is working properly when you accidentally got it back working when you opened the flood gates after the last patch maintenance break and I didn't see any changes, so what's the problem then? Do I really have to log in to the game just to collect and restart my profession tasks?

TO DEVS AND MODS: Please clarify what is going on and how long will this continue? Comunication here is key and you are not doing your part.

Comments

• Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User

After just getting back, it is my understanding that Gateway was brought down due to extreme botting activity. There was no set date on when it would be back and we still don't have a set date. We're currently in discussions to see what can be done before bringing it back.

Some of you may have noticed Gateway was up for a bit today. That was a mistake on our end, but it has once again, been closed. We still don't have an ETA on when we'll bring Gateway back.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1221715/gateway-down
    is not enough?
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    No, it's not sufficient.

I understand the situation is difficult and maybe internal communication over the holiday weekend was tough. However, bringing down a major feature (you can say it's in Beta but it's been a staple of the PC gaming experience for years) of the game with very little official communication (all of it many days after the fact) is just not acceptable in a professional setting.

I think that's the part that bugs me. It wouldn't be hard to give us vague updates, and it would serve to build up a rapport with the community. Instead, the limited communication undermines the community relationship.

Can they behave like this? Sure.
    Should they? No, it's self-defeating.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    First of all, I cannot find your quotes, but I'm trusting you, don't see why it'd be a lie. Second... Why would I have to go though a forum article with more than 10 pages of comments to find a statement on the situation?
    Third and last: No, it's not enough, I bet you 99% of people that use the gateway regularly don't know what the hell is going on.
    I find it amusing to see how far they would go to stop bots that can hit a bit on their money income and yet they don't give two craps about their community.
  • Options
    reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    I think it's becomming clearer and clearer that we need information centrally located. Several threads started, several pages in these threads, more keep getting opened because the information is buried.

@strumslinger Would making a closed pinned thread at the top of this forum help? Your posts are burried and those looking for info just aren't finding it. I read your posts, I read everyone's posts several times but again people aren't seeing your info.

Would be a great way to keep us updated with new LEGIT info. This is obviously a big deal to many of us, I'm at work right now and like many others I'm missing gateway. :(
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    An actual announcement thread about Gateway should have been posted when they first disabled it, even with Strum out of town. Someone should have stepped up. Anything they can say now is damage control at best.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    jamesbond007#6020 jamesbond007 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Must be a game breaking issue going on. Maybe worse then astral resonators?
  • Options
    ellodrithellodrith Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 97 Arc User
    Whatever it is, the gateway is essential to my play. I've been playing since beta and am one of those people who play multiple characters, many multiple characters. I do not do it to cheat, nor to take an easy route, I do it because that's the way I play and enjoy the game. Take away the gateway and you've taken away the tools I use to manage those characters.

When a guild mate asks if I have a couple extra black ice overload slot enchants, I go to the gateway, look through my characters quickly, find the character that's holding a few and in game, login to that character and a guild mate is really happy. without the gateway it means logging in and out of multiple characters until I luck into the one that has an item, or I finish going through them all to say "Oops, sorry."

From my point of view, everything that has been "fixed" with regards to botting and the AD structure has hurt my ability to play the way I want. I love supporting new players, giving them a hand, items that make or break play-ability for them I give them if I can. All that is gone now.

The loss of the gateway would be the final straw, there would be no point in continuing as the fun has been removed for me.

cheers
    Ello

ps +1 and more about the lack of clear communication lately.
  • Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    morenthar said:

It's not to stop bots.

Yes, some moves were to stop bots. Many moves have been made to take income away from players and veiled with talks of stopping bots.

Taking Gateway down permanently means only one thing to me.....they want to make it harder for player to create RP. Sure, bots can do it through gateway but that not only whom they are after.

We took it down because automated activity was putting undue pressure on our servers and it was clear that it was risky to leave Gateway up any longer as it was causing performance issues to more than just the Gateway servers. We have been monitoring the amount of RP generated from Leadership and have not identified it as causing enough distortion to the RP economy to make any changes at this time.

We have talked about what to do about Gateway internally and looked into the issue, we plan to have a decision on how to tackle this issue next week.

I want to have more details for everyone by the end of next week on what our plans are. As much as I like Gateway too, we can't let it threaten taking down the rest of the game servers let alone itself.
  • Options
    reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User

An actual announcement thread about Gateway should have been posted when they first disabled it, even with Strum out of town. Someone should have stepped up. Anything they can say now is damage control at best.

There is so much interest and suggestions it doesn't have to be damage control. I think a respectful post with some information would be great. I'd love to see this community polled for suggestions. Why not ask your player base what we would like to see?!?! I just can't understand why any company that relies on their community for their income would disrespect us so bad. And us as the community we stand up and say "Sir may I have another" and bend over and take it up the tail pipe!
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    panderus said:

We took it down because automated activity was putting undue pressure on our servers and it was clear that it was risky to leave Gateway up any longer as it was causing performance issues to more than just the Gateway servers. We have been monitoring the amount of RP generated from Leadership and have not identified it as causing enough distortion to the RP economy to make any changes at this time.

We have talked about what to do about Gateway internally and looked into the issue, we plan to have a decision on how to tackle this issue next week.

I want to have more details for everyone by the end of next week on what our plans are. As much as I like Gateway too, we can't let it threaten taking down the rest of the game servers let alone itself.

Thank you. This is basically what people wanted was a response as to why it was down.
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    panderus said:

Thank you @panderus !!!

This is exactly the type of communication that we need to hear from the team (or Andy, or even the twitter feed). I would kindly ask that you or someone else put up an official thread with this info, and update it as you know more. It wouldn't take a lot of effort but it would mean a lot to the community.

Cheers, P

• Options
    panderus said:

Finally! Thank you for answering, you just made my time for writing this much more worth it!
  • Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    Will do, closing this one.
This discussion has been closed.