test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Battle Wight Commander & Blue Dragonwing

Battle Wight Commander has a skill that grants it temporary hit points. It's easy to see when this skill goes off, but what is the best way to kill them if they get the temporary hit points? I'm asking because they appear to be immortal no matter what I do. Normally, I give up fighting them when they have the temporary hit points. As long as they don't have the temporary hit points I can easily kill them.

Blue Dragonwing's immunity shield has been brought up in the forums before, and I see that someone stated that getting behind them may be a solution. I just want to know if there is an efficient way of dealing with them. Or is waiting until they lower the shield the only solution? If they had a shield that reduces damage instead, then it might be a better alternative.

Best Answer

• crysta11inecrysta11ine Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    I've seen the commanders bug out in the stronghold, maybe that is what @lightweapon is talking about. They show temp hit points on their health bar and you heal them with your attacks or they regenerate hp like crazy. I'm not sure what causes it but it takes way more damage to kill them when this happens.

Answers

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    Glad to see you are enjoying some of Neverwinter's rich combat mechanics!

As you noted, blue dragonwings are vulnerable from behind.

Battle Wight Commanders are not immortal by any means, but they are tough (and can have higher Damage Resistance than the smaller enemies the spawn with). Make sure you are packing a fair bit of Armor Penetration as you start getting into end-game content. It didn't matter earlier when enemies didn't have much DR but in the end-game you want to aim for 60% Resistance Ignored (from ArPen and other sources) in order to completely mitigate enemies' Damage Reduction.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,355 Arc User
    Well, I learn something today. Thank you.
    I did not know blue dragonwings are vulnerable from behind.
    I always thought my GWF is more powerful (than my other toons) and could break their shield.
    I guess it was because I did WMS (which does one strike from behind).
    For my other toons, I usually just walk away because blue dragonwings do not move when their shield is up and they don't have range attack.
    So, I walk away to pick up loot. Beating up other mob, etc. when their shield is up.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Blue Dragonwings are not particularly dangerous when they're blocking, so they are often best handled by clearing everything else first. Characters that don't move quickly may find themselves almost always facing a shield though. If you use a battle companion, getting into combat advantage positioning works very well. The cultist can only block one of you. Controlling them when they are vulnerable works really well too. They're fairly squishy without the shield.

With the Wights, I also suspect that insufficient resistance ignored might be giving you grief.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • asterfarwell#5559 asterfarwell Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    My power unbuffed is over 36k. My resistance ignored is 90%. Maybe the Wights don't like me. I crit like crazy. I bring their health down low and they instantly heal right back up.

I bring their health down low and they instantly heal right back up.

Ohh....

Get out of their red splats, silly (or block, if you're a blocker). They're healing by leeching your health. Both the cone and the circle do, I believe.

Neverwinter Census 2017

I went to try it out since it's been a long time since I visited Dwarven Valley.

Unless I'm confused, everyone is still killable (although tough cookies indeed). There are skills that the Wight Commanders do to gain HP back from you (AoE attack). And then there are shaman like folks who can heal, and others who can grant temporary immunity to damage (you can attack the Shaman though).

Can you be specific which zone and which mob? Again I might be confused but I specifically encountered Wight Commanders and Battle Wights, but didn't stumble upon a Battle Wight Commander.

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Battle_Wight_Commander

The only references to a Battle Wight Commander I found were from Cragmire Crypts and Neverdeath instance... But I don't think you're referring to low level zones based on your stats...
  • tvcitytvcity Member Posts: 208 Arc User

My power unbuffed is over 36k. My resistance ignored is 90%. Maybe the Wights don't like me. I crit like crazy. I bring their health down low and they instantly heal right back up.

with those stats you should be able to kill even lvl 73 dragonwings and battlewights in 1-hit (if you crit)...what content are you running that's giving you such a hard time?

Monster locations in the Wiki are probably not carefully curated at this point. Pretty sure some of the Wights in Biggrin's Tomb are the Commander types.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited September 2016

Monster locations in the Wiki are probably not carefully curated at this point. Pretty sure some of the Wights in Biggrin's Tomb are the Commander types.

You're probably right. That said, I just ran BT two times trying to keep an eye out and I didn't meet any. I'm not that careful though, so it's possible I'm wrong.

Still, would be helpful if @lightweapon could clarify where he or she is encountering these tough baddies!

• gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    They lifesteal from your companion too. If he stubbornly stays in red it may get long. But with the stats he mentioned he should melt the wights I have in mind...the strongest ones I have seen are those in the Major HE in the Dwarven Valley. They take a bit if you solo it and they start lifestealing from your companion.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    yeah, as other said, get out of the red ring effect, they drains you as long you are standing in the red area when fighting/melee the undead wights. they need cooldowns, didnt like it when they spam casting while your potions are on cooldowns.

I've seen the commanders bug out in the stronghold, maybe that is what lightweapon is talking about. They show temp hit points on their health bar and you heal them with your attacks or they regenerate hp like crazy. I'm not sure what causes it but it takes way more damage to kill them when this happens.

This sounds likely, and also why many of us are unfamiliar with the super-tough wights.

If they are bugged, there may not be a trick other than toughing it out.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    Blue Dragonwings are some of the best 'players' out there--they always seem to get that blasted shield up right before my attack takes place. Arggggh!!! Their timing is incredible for a computer generated mob. And the commander Boss in Dread Ring Spire is the same way--it seems that just before or right as I hit my daily, he pops that stupid shield that heals himself and zaps anyone standing in that area. Of course, I could learn to watch his tells a bit better ;-)

As far as Battle Wight Commanders, you can find them in the other instances that Dupeks and Becky mentioned, but those are pretty low key for a 36K power toon. I agree with the thought that he is in Dwarven Valley, and most likely your companion is providing 'heals' to them while you try to kill them. If your companion stands in the red the whole time, its like fighting someone who has a fire hose while you use a squirt gun. If you have 36K power unbuffed, try dismissing your companion for the fight.
  • asterfarwell#5559 asterfarwell Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Thank you, crysta11ine. Now I feel better. Yes, the Wight Commanders that I am talking about are in the Stronghold.