test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A way to disable the snow storm?

kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
This is a serious post, not trying to troll at all - is there a way to turn off the snowstorm visual in Byn Shander? It's giving me a raging headache and from what I've seen on Alliance chat, the same is true for several others.

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    You know how people have been asking for the game to have variable weather since approximately forever? Apparently you can wait for the storm to pass.

Edit: I'm not trolling either. Though I do think it's sort of a funny situation, to have realistic weather implemented with all the inconveniences of real life, except I guess actually being cold.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    You could probably try tweaking your graphics settings. I can't get in-game right now, but I'd bet one of them would have the effect you are looking for. Just note your current settings (they really need a way to save/load these via a console command) and then try tweaking one setting at a time!

When I can get back in-game and get to the new area I will see if I can help figure out the proper setting for it and will report any success here... or someone may beat me to it, hopefully we can help get this issue solved for you because having the game cause headaches is never fun! :(
    @samaka#2511
    Baldur's Gate had a weather cycle (including lightning strikes that actually hurt), but disabling it in your settings was one of the first things most players would advise for tweaking performance.

Neverwinter Census 2017

I often run things at the highest possible settings that I can, even if it does cost me some FPS... I like things to look pretty! :disappointed:
    @samaka#2511
  • jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    my concern is with all the flashing little lights that are giving me a bad headache from what they call snow storm I could live with fog
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    I have not played this yet. Should I start to look for a ski goggles? :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I had to log off after less than half an hour in the zone because my eyes were hurting and I had a severe headache. :(
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    kvet said:

This is a serious post, not trying to troll at all - is there a way to turn off the snowstorm visual in Byn Shander? It's giving me a raging headache and from what I've seen on Alliance chat, the same is true for several others.

Open "Options" -> "Graphics" and decrease the "Max physics debris objects" to 0. Generally decreasing the graphic details helps.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
    The snow counts as physic debris? I would have thought that setting was for when the game generates, well, debris from when things explode or break or the like. I would not have thought it would have changed the amount of snow on the screen!
    @samaka#2511

The snow counts as physic debris? I would have thought that setting was for when the game generates, well, debris from when things explode or break or the like. I would not have thought it would have changed the amount of snow on the screen!

Just check back: I got the info from a guidie of mine, but it seems he reported when the storm was at the minimum...shame on him ;)
    It's not the debris, you're right. I've played a bit with the graphic settings, but no significant benefit. :(

Oltreverso guild leader
  • looomislooomis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 253 Arc User
    Is there an option to reduce the fog effect? I don't have any snow left, but this white wall is still fatiguing.
    rapo973 said:

Just check back: I got the info from a guidie of mine, but it seems he reported when the storm was at the minimum...shame on him ;)
    It's not the debris, you're right. I've played a bit with the graphic settings, but no significant benefit. :(

Heh, I didn't think that setting would have changed the snow density... what about changing shader quality?

I wish I could get in-game, but noooo, one of my drives in my home server just had to start dying and require an immediate backup... sigh! :(
    @samaka#2511
    Lowering it would also help with things like the plaguefire ambience in Spellplague dungeon (someday my baby will come back) turning the game into a slideshow. Particle effects in general.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• ethandwethandw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 80 Arc User
    Honestly, this snow storm is damaging to my eyes.
    I am not sure it is fit for the human eye...
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    We're looking into tweaking the storm to avoid this.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Thanks Strum!

Yeah, I've tried changing to min graphics and render settings, altering brightness... nothing worked to alleviate this issue other than hitting ALT, opening guild screen to block out everything, and waiting until the blizzard passes. The other weather is fine and overall I LOVE variable weather. I even like the blizzard, other than the ice pick to the head part. I dig this mod - (osterian pun intended!), I just don't want to end up strung out on ibuprofen in order to play it!

I will say this - playing in a well-lit room helped a little bit.
  • sneak#6191 sneak Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Please please please reduce the amount of fog in this map or allow us to change the settings to disable it. It's very excessive and I'm not the only person who believes this (several people do). It's distracts from gameplay and is tough on your eyes after long exposure.
    Atodaso@sneak#6191
    Tornado Of Souls

• archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    Ya'll need to settle down. The weather effects add to the dynamic of the zone by reducing your visibility. This makes the zone more compelling and interesting.

I find it remarkable that something so simple as weather effects that slightly reduce your visibility bother you all soooo damn much. Honestly it feels like your just looking for things to complain about.
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User

Please please please reduce the amount of fog in this map or allow us to change the settings to disable it. It's very excessive and I'm not the only person who believes this (several people do). It's distracts from gameplay and is tough on your eyes after long exposure.

and how do it distracts from gameplay? Fight in blizzard/snow storm is part of game. And I think is one of coolest part so far..
    I actually would increase thickness of fog by x3. It would make more interesting.. You walk and don't know if u bump up in group monsters :)
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • catastrophy#1872 catastrophy Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2016

Ya'll need to settle down. The weather effects add to the dynamic of the zone by reducing your visibility. This makes the zone more compelling and interesting.

I find it remarkable that something so simple as weather effects that slightly reduce your visibility bother you all soooo damn much. Honestly it feels like your just looking for things to complain about.

Some of us are not able to play at all because of that simple weather effect. Yes it adds to ambient, but it cause such a severe headache, that after playing for hour in zone I had to turn off game and go lie down.

Going to wait for storm to be fixed, before continuing with campaign.

Honestly it feels like your just looking for things to complain about.

Honestly I'm not very impacted because I have my glasses that cut the blu light frequencies coming from the led monitor. But If I unwear them, my eyes get tired fast. So I don't think it's just for complain.

Oltreverso guild leader
    edited August 2016

Just because the new visual effects don't bother you or give you a headache doesn't mean they don't affect others in a negative way. Obviously a number of people are having an issue with the new effects, or there wouldn't be a thread created on the subject. Having a way to control the new effect would be a nice option for those who are having a physiological response.

I find it remarkable that you even felt the need to make such a post at all!
    @samaka#2511
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    people complain about everything! btw the storm is awesome! rofl
  • sneak#6191 sneak Member Posts: 86 Arc User

and how do it distracts from gameplay? Fight in blizzard/snow storm is part of game. And I think is one of coolest part so far..
    I actually would increase thickness of fog by x3. It would make more interesting.. You walk and don't know if u bump up in group monsters :)
    Because it's annoying and removes visibility of the map and path line.
    Atodaso@sneak#6191
    Tornado Of Souls

• mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    I have to wear prisms in my glasses, and this causes me basically have to stop playing
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User

Because it's annoying and removes visibility of the map and path line.

And thats why I call it coolest part of mod 10, :)
    Lesser visibility = more chance to get in group of monsters even by trying run to point A to point B. :)
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    edited August 2016

Because it gives me a violent headache after 10-15 minutes, I just can't play there for any length of time. It also causes lag, playing a 3K+ GF and sometimes having guard not activate so I'm getting virtually 1 shotted by some of the bosses is really frustrating.

I hate to think what it will do to anybody with epilepsy.

• someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    I found the solution!

Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • taboom#4443 taboom Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I agree it is hard on the eyes causing strain the movement of the snow particles images on a computer screen are created by combinations of tiny points of light (pixels), which are brightest at the center and diminish in intensity toward their edges. This makes it more difficult for our eyes to maintain focus on them. Instead, our eyes want to drift to a reduced level of focusing called the "resting point of accommodation" or RPA. Our eyes involuntarily move to the RPA and then strain to regain focus on the screen. This continuous flexing of the eyes' focusing muscles creates the fatigue and eye strain. (it gets harder to refocus as you age which escalates the problem) Remove the particle layer or soften the dark count maintain the fog effect and it would work to the same effect you are going for. Reference Air Traffic controller scanning and eye movement literature from as far back as the 80's this is a old school problem we build filters to compensate for in most moving computer images.