test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Healers in group.

chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User
edited August 2016 in PvE Discussion
Have since changed my gameplay, NO longer as dependant on healers as I used to be.
Post edited by chimerax on

Comments

• Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Why are you assuming that a player who is a DC or a OP are setup to be a healer? The DC could be setup to a Controller and the OP could be setup as a Tank. Do not forget that all classes have two roles assigned to it, some are DPS focus only such as for HR or TR. The rest of the classes can be either healer, tank or DPS. SW is a DPS but also a healer class. Don't make assumption and if you are in a group, use group chat to tell the other player to run a healer loadout nicely.

I do run healer loadouts when I run level 70 content. I also produce well over 5 million in heals on average, if not more. I also usually don't die. Though most SW have about 5 deaths, give or take.

My biggest gripe right now is tanks, WTF are they doing. I have seen maybe 1 or 2 good tanks in all my runs. Most of the time it is my guild mate kiting the adds away from the boss and me and the rest of the group taking out the boss with me doing barely no damage as a DC and producing 70K on average per a heal because players do not move out of way of a red AoE attack.

My point is SW are considered healers, maybe you are the healer for that group, maybe....

And if you don't like the group you are in, leave.

• Options
    bandrashubandrashu Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I would also like to mention here that, for instanmce, as an OP healer you need to keep hitting mobs becase that's how your heals build up. Quite a few of our attacks have healing effects as well next to the damage they are dealing.

Of course, you won't outdamage or at least you should not outdamage the dps toons in your group. Though it already happened to me that I ended up 2nd in DPS with 2.5 mill heals at lvl 57-58.

And yes, ppl should learn not standing in red areas, or in front of dragons.
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    the mistake is thinking a dc dps build is a dps build. it can do some dps but it's a buff debuff build. they are helping the team. not thru heals but by helping everyone else get thru content. they are very valuable. dcs are also weaker healers than pallys atm a pally is the best healer you can get in game.
  • Options

the mistake is thinking a dc dps build is a dps build. it can do some dps but it's a buff debuff build. they are helping the team. not thru heals but by helping everyone else get thru content. they are very valuable. dcs are also weaker healers than pallys atm a pally is the best healer you can get in game.

I play DC as a debuff, buffing, and healing using the AC Paragon path. I have been out healed 2x now and that was in lower dungeons. In the higher content I have found a nice loadout that works.

My issue is aggro, I seem to attract it more than I like and it is quite frustrating to see so many adds focused on me and not a tank class.

To the OP, I have a SW and he can heal and heal really well. Maybe you should try that out if you have issues with getting a healer in your group. I know I'm liking it and it is a unique and different way to play the SW class.

This is my recommendation for anyone here coming here to complain about any non-damage role. If you don't like what you see in game, go create a character of that role and play it and learn it.
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    do you have the dog that reduces threat? that might help. imo that happens most often when your teammates are significantly undergeared. I remember having that problem on xbox when pugging but never when with a good team.
  • Options
    I dismiss the Dog so that he doesn't taunt mobs off of tanks. I use the soul shard healing, but still squishy, and when there are several mobs, the extras aggro to me because I am trying to get them off healers or finish off mobs that are low health as the tank has moved on to another mob.
  • Options
    demigodgamer#7121 demigodgamer Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    chimerax said:

I get it, you want to be a healer, but you are in a group, you should be HEALING. You are NOT going to out DPS a Scourge Warlock, just friggin heal, if you don;t like healing choose another class, you are there for a reason.

• Options
    drathmor#2709 drathmor Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    if you want a healer so bad my advise is to do it your self. DPS are a dime a dozen and normally not very good to begin with getting the group through the content is now and will always be the most important thing not the PEW PEW
  • Options
    edited August 2016

if you want a healer so bad my advise is to do it your self. DPS are a dime a dozen and normally not very good to begin with getting the group through the content is now and will always be the most important thing not the PEW PEW

I agree with you 100%. It is why my main is a healer, an alt is a tank, and I want to play another tank as a GWF but it does not seem possible.

DPS is easy to find, good ones are hard to come by. Healers and tanks are hard to find, finding one that knows how to play the role is even harder.

Like I stated in other threads here are finding DPS that pay attention to mechanics. If I can find some DPS that know mechanics and know how to play at a high level, I can and will gladly try to heal without a tank, but given that most DPS pay no attention to strong attacks I play the pick up game and trust me, the healer should not be moving across the map to pick up a player when a DPS is a few steps away and only worrying about their numbers.

This game like other mmos see plenty of DPS and not many healers and tanks.

• Options
    derio#3255 derio Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    So far I don't see any healers in the groups I get into. Mostly tanks and dps. And not really a need for healers in content. However I am guessing healers will be useful for content that's in the 60-70 lvl range
  • Options
    dusk#2593 dusk Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    While I do agree on "Healers heal and Dps dos" stance.... As a healer in ANY MMO we CAN'T cure stupidity. This game isVERY forgiving when it comes towards healing... I have been in instances with 2 DPS and myself a DC healing and we have cleared content with no issues and i just mostly cast my region once or twice and DPS the rest of the time.... NOOOOOWWWWW I have also been in instances where DPS decides to do the PANORAMIC run with the mobs as far from me as possible running around the place like a chicken with their head cut off and DEATH is inevitable... The funny thing is they have gotten mad cause they didn't get healed. I even have an active ability that regions people that are close to me <.< . So in general I would just say to ALL classes LEARN your roles first before you go into a dungeon and get your companions and yourself killed.
  • Options
    dusk#2593 said:

While I do agree on "Healers heal and Dps dos" stance.... As a healer in ANY MMO we CAN'T cure stupidity. This game isVERY forgiving when it comes towards healing... I have been in instances with 2 DPS and myself a DC healing and we have cleared content with no issues and i just mostly cast my region once or twice and DPS the rest of the time.... NOOOOOWWWWW I have also been in instances where DPS decides to do the PANORAMIC run with the mobs as far from me as possible running around the place like a chicken with their head cut off and DEATH is inevitable... The funny thing is they have gotten mad cause they didn't get healed. I even have an active ability that regions people that are close to me <.< . So in general I would just say to ALL classes LEARN your roles first before you go into a dungeon and get your companions and yourself killed. </p>

I fully agree, If you are a DPS it is your job to stay in range, and if you get arrgo, bring it to the tank. Paying attention is one thing, but there is a time when a dps has no where to move, the red "strong attacks" surround you and by the time you see it to move, the attacks have gone off.

• Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    chimerax said:

I get it, you want to be a healer, but you are in a group, you should be HEALING. You are NOT going to out DPS a Scourge Warlock, just friggin heal, if you don;t like healing choose another class, you are there for a reason.

this poster does not understand how "healers" work in this game, and he's obviously coming from a game where dedicated healers just stand in the back and do nothing but heal. this game does not work like that.

we don't have Healbots in Neverwinter. You have Leaders. They CAN heal, but it is not their sole purpose in life. They debuff, they buff, and they heal. AND they do damage.

you don't just sit back and do nothing but spam heals. if you are doing this, you are doing it wrong.

in THIS game, Leaders are not there solely to babysit your health bar. they are there to make the dungeons run smoother by buffing you, debuffing the enemies, and heal in emergencies.

for the most part you are responsible for your own health and if you die because you stand in the red, it is YOUR fault, not the Leader's.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I agree with you 100%. It is why my main is a healer, an alt is a tank, and I want to play another tank as a GWF but it does not seem possible.

DPS is easy to find, good ones are hard to come by. Healers and tanks are hard to find, finding one that knows how to play the role is even harder.

Like I stated in other threads here are finding DPS that pay attention to mechanics. If I can find some DPS that know mechanics and know how to play at a high level, I can and will gladly try to heal without a tank, but given that most DPS pay no attention to strong attacks I play the pick up game and trust me, the healer should not be moving across the map to pick up a player when a DPS is a few steps away and only worrying about their numbers.

This game like other mmos see plenty of DPS and not many healers and tanks.

so true i cant count the times i have been tanking and see a down body and there are 2 dps just attacking away right next to the down person and i will have to move bringing all the adds with me to go pick the downed person up so that they arent locked out of the fight and by doing it putting others at risk (whole while im just hoping they are smart enough to move away since noone uses mics). its sad really. this community is even worse at it than people in DC
  • Options
    jmadfour said:

chimerax said:

this poster does not understand how "healers" work in this game, and he's obviously coming from a game where dedicated healers just stand in the back and do nothing but heal. this game does not work like that.

we don't have Healbots in Neverwinter. You have Leaders. They CAN heal, but it is not their sole purpose in life. They debuff, they buff, and they heal. AND they do damage.

you don't just sit back and do nothing but spam heals. if you are doing this, you are doing it wrong.

in THIS game, Leaders are not there solely to babysit your health bar. they are there to make the dungeons run smoother by buffing you, debuffing the enemies, and heal in emergencies.

for the most part you are responsible for your own health and if you die because you stand in the red, it is YOUR fault, not the Leader's.
    technically if you are in a endgame dungeon and you are speced healer then you should be healing if your the only one. the problem is with someone trying to do damage when your role is healing is people get tunnel vision and arent paying attention to whats going on in the room and you end up hurting the whole group.

I'll give you a example how you might have to alter your play style dependent on the group.
    I lvled my toon as a Devotion Pally (the heal side) and was able to tank all content in the game while trying to watch life bars while tanking and throwing out heals when i see people taking damage. generally able to do both with no problems (being generally high in damage while also taking the most damage in and always being the highest heals as all my attacks also healed the group).

until the end game epic dungeons once in there I noticed it got much harder to take the big hits and watch the other players life bars
    all of a sudden I was doing both roles but neither as well as i could be I would come into these fail dungeons were people have been in there for a long time. give it one run on the boss doing both tanking and healing to feel out the group and see if the other players could stay alive. if we all wiped I would tell them to hold on a min and switch out my auras to better help the weakness of the group i was in and put all heals on and just sit in the back and keep the stand in the red players alive so we could just get through the instance. every single time i did this we completed the instance

when your group needs a support role. its better to just fill the need than trying to do both as getting through a instance is the end goal not getting on the scoreboard.

I have since respeced to protection Pally and just solely tank now as at end game you really need to specialize to be effective and i have bumped into more ok healers than decent tanks.
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    One complication is that the public queue system sees any DC as a healer and doesn't look at their spec.

I've found that there are so few active healing DCs most folks are very very happy to see me when I join a pug. But other posters are right, if you are used to MMOs you are going to see us run all over the place and do some other "strange" things to keep you fighting.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    melinden said:

One complication is that the public queue system sees any DC as a healer and doesn't look at their spec.

I've found that there are so few active healing DCs most folks are very very happy to see me when I join a pug. But other posters are right, if you are used to MMOs you are going to see us run all over the place and do some other "strange" things to keep you fighting.

I heal just fine in content but leave without a tank, I'm not a tank and a healer all rolled into one, yet groups do stupid things and expect me to do both.

In PoM today and the players in that run opened all the demonic portals up, adds quickly jumped as we had no tank. Weaker demons I can manage. I put into group chat, please only one at a time for the stronger demons, yet players did not listen and I died very fast and said good bye to that group. I left just as fast as my life points were removed from me.

I can't believe that players act in such a behavior.

I was in other groups where they are asking why I can't heal them through one shots. I'm like really, are you that stupid, a one shot is exactly that, a one shot. LOL.

Also a fully spec'd healer vs. my leader spec for buffing and debuffing did not out heal me during a run.

I'm pretty close to starting a GF character and building him up as a DPS build. LOL....
  • Options
    l3igtyme#3950 l3igtyme Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    > @jmadfour said:
    > I get it, you want to be a healer, but you are in a group, you should be HEALING. You are NOT going to out DPS a Scourge Warlock, just friggin heal, if you don;t like healing choose another class, you are there for a reason.
    >
    > this poster does not understand how "healers" work in this game, and he's obviously coming from a game where dedicated healers just stand in the back and do nothing but heal. this game does not work like that.
    >
    > we don't have Healbots in Neverwinter. You have Leaders. They CAN heal, but it is not their sole purpose in life. They debuff, they buff, and they heal. AND they do damage.
    >
    > you don't just sit back and do nothing but spam heals. if you are doing this, you are doing it wrong.
    >
    > in THIS game, Leaders are not there solely to babysit your health bar. they are there to make the dungeons run smoother by buffing you, debuffing the enemies, and heal in emergencies.
    >
    > for the most part you are responsible for your own health and if you die because you stand in the red, it is YOUR fault, not the Leader's.

This man has it right. Even a Rightous DC can put out both heals, damage, and buffs/debuffs. That is the point in being in the leader role. Most of you here are talking about DCUO, but even in that game a healer doing as much damage as possible is good. I haven't played in over 2 years but Celestial was just that. Healing and DPS.
  • Options

> @jmadfour said:

> I get it, you want to be a healer, but you are in a group, you should be HEALING. You are NOT going to out DPS a Scourge Warlock, just friggin heal, if you don;t like healing choose another class, you are there for a reason.

>

> this poster does not understand how "healers" work in this game, and he's obviously coming from a game where dedicated healers just stand in the back and do nothing but heal. this game does not work like that.

>

> we don't have Healbots in Neverwinter. You have Leaders. They CAN heal, but it is not their sole purpose in life. They debuff, they buff, and they heal. AND they do damage.

>

> you don't just sit back and do nothing but spam heals. if you are doing this, you are doing it wrong.

>

> in THIS game, Leaders are not there solely to babysit your health bar. they are there to make the dungeons run smoother by buffing you, debuffing the enemies, and heal in emergencies.

>

> for the most part you are responsible for your own health and if you die because you stand in the red, it is YOUR fault, not the Leader's.

This man has it right. Even a Rightous DC can put out both heals, damage, and buffs/debuffs. That is the point in being in the leader role. Most of you here are talking about DCUO, but even in that game a healer doing as much damage as possible is good. I haven't played in over 2 years but Celestial was just that. Healing and DPS.

Celestial was added as a battle healer thats why it can be played like that most of the other powers that heal can dual spec but they were masters of none.. but in my book people can play however they want.. make friends and run with what ever build you want is what people should do but be aware that in end game content people who dont know you will treat you unfairly if they think you arent playing how they feel you should thats just part of these types of games
  • Options

> @jmadfour said:

>

>

>

>

>

Celestial was added as a battle healer thats why it can be played like that most of the other powers that heal can dual spec but they were masters of none.. but in my book people can play however they want.. make friends and run with what ever build you want is what people should do but be aware that in end game content people who dont know you will treat you unfairly if they think you arent playing how they feel you should thats just part of these types of games
    DCUO is pathetic. I love it when I tank, heal or troll and out damage any trash DPS in that game. Most MMO have 10x the number of DPS than the number of support roles. The funny thing is, most of the DPS are trash any way. About 90% of those DPS run crappy loadouts and rarely learn how to play at a high level. Those players get carried.

It is why the best players in most games run support roles. It is what I liked to do in DCUO and it is my goal in this game as well.

I got my Leader/Controller DC at end game with an IL of 2400 and climbing.

I just created my GWF Tank last night and she is level 11 I believe.

My next character after my GWF will be a controll wizard.

Than after that it would be Pally (not sure about tanking or healing just yet).

The thing is though, support players when they do play DPS, they are nasty and can produce some serious damage, why, because they learn mechanics and positioning alot sooner than DPS players.

• Options
    l3igtyme#3950 l3igtyme Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    On phone can't quote.

Not sure if you recognised my username. But I was the guy who made the earth guide and always advocated for it, dispite what most end game groups said. Same with celestial when 99% of the people that switched were dps, and only a few were healing with any success. I always play high skill roles or jack of all trade roles because when you show skill it really pays off. So no a healer isnt going to just sit quietly in the back and wait for people to take damage. Most MMOs the healer can do damage or stun. DCUO was an oddity in that healers could only heal. Restoration was isnt own stat and the powers stopped doing damage. Almost every other MMO is not like this.
  • Options
    derio#3255 derio Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Is the community in need of healers more than tanks or is it the other way around? Or is it still to early to tell?
  • Options
    terrordactyl#4367 terrordactyl Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    chimerax said:

The game has only been out 3 weeks on PS4. Maybe cut people a little bit of slack to learn the game?

• Options
    ulthgrimulthgrim Member Posts: 46 Arc User

chimerax said:

The game has only been out 3 weeks on PS4. Maybe cut people a little bit of slack to learn the game?

Maybe, how about people learn class mechanics before coming to the forums to whine? Or is that to much to ask?
  • Options

Is the community in need of healers more than tanks or is it the other way around? Or is it still to early to tell?

Is that you Derio from DCUO? If it is, welcome to NW!

I would state Tanks and Healers are both needed. As a healer I rarely see any good tanks in this game. I seen 3 out of 50+ end game runs. But I also keep getting people inviting me to their party chat after those runs and thanking me for healing due to everyone wanting to be a DPS and like other games, well the DPS aren't all up to snuff.

The game has also been out now for 1 month as of today. :)

• Options
    edited August 2016

chimerax said:

It has been out for 1 month with early access. Also, the game has been out for 3 years on PC and 18 months almost now for Xbox1. There is plenty of information out there and online. This information would help any NEW player out and since we are playing an online game on a system with a built in web browser there is no excuse why players are so behind the curve ball with their character.

When you hit level 70 don't be rushing into a dungeon ASAP. Go complete your EE campaign, do some dailies in Shardunar and Dread Ring to get some better gear.

Again, if players want to play in end game content, go look up things for your class.

I did at level 50, prior to end game and it made a big difference for me. Now before I even start any character I'm doing the same thing, to ensure that I have a strong character for end game content.
  • Options
    dusk#2593 dusk Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Today I was running the event roulette . 1 dps got low on his health so I ran to spam heal him. 2 seconds later again his hp drop... I decide to observe... He gets killed... I walk Rez and fully heal him and he decides to stay and eat ANOTHER red zone AEO. Needles to say he died 3 more times after that. I stop healing him after his first death since all he kept doing was standing around dpsing and not moving. At that point I just decided to concentrate in dps and keep the other members alive and ignore the one ignoring the Aeos. We CAN'T heal bad players :)