What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gankdalf's PvP build - How to be an Icehole

gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
edited June 2017 in The Library
Last updated: 11/6-2017

Hello. I’m Gankdalf the Icehole.

My guild (Synergy) has a Youtube channel where I've been posting PvP recordings from my point of view as a CW playing with this build. You can check it out and see how it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiKklVtySXSESXGkfnWn0ow

Haven’t seen to many PvP builds on the forums so I thought I would give it a shoot and share my current build. I’m going to keep it short since I’m not a fan of typing. The build is probably not “sensational” and if you played the game for a while this might not bring you much insight.

This guide is for a Control Wizard that focus on staying alive, taking nodes, controlling and debuffing the targets. It’s a build that works best in premades with tactics and team play. If you rather solo queue and want high kill count, then this build is probably not for you. But I think pushing a player across half the map is kinda fun. Or to pushing a whole team off the node. Be prepared to have people complain and calling you names!

Race: Halfling with +2 Dex/Char
Ability score: Int/Wis

Stats:
I focus on getting a minimum of 190k HP, 35-40% deflect, 5-13% Life steal and high recovery. I pick stats/boons that can keep me alive as good as possible. I don’t care at all about power, crit or armpen.

Armor set: Prestige Executioner Cap, Psion's Shroud, Prestige Executioner Armlets and Prestige Executioner Shoes. You could go with Duelist set ofc that gives more recovery, but Im too lazy to have two sets.

Artifact gear set: full Valindra set or if you want to go supertanky you can go with Valhalla set (Cloak of Valhalla, Belt of Valhalla and Horn of Valhalla)

Artifact Weapons: Drowned Orb/Talisman (new weapons gives more damage, but I dont care about that)
Defense slots: Wicked Enchantment (or Silverys/Radiants)
Offensive slots: Silvery Enchantment (or Cruels)
Weapon Enchantment: Transcendent Terror Enchantment or Transcendent Feytouched Enchantment
Armor Enchantment: Transcendent Elven Battle Enchantment
Shirt/Pants: Greater Everfrost Tunic and Greater Everfrost Tights
Rings: 2x Rubellite Duelist Ring or rings with x2 Defense slots
Armor kits: HP and/or Deflect

Artifacts:
When it comes to Artifacts I pick the ones with deflect + HP/Deflect or other defensive stats first hand.

Active: Oghma's Token of Free Movement (deflect+defense+control resist)
Sigil of the Guardian (defense+deflect+AoE resist)
Heart of the Green Dragon (deflect+regen+incoming healing)
Shard of Valindra's Crown (power+life steal+control bonus)

Mount bonuses:
Survivor's Blessing
Vampire's Craving
Champion's Return
Gladiator's Guile
Oppressor's Reprieve/Vampire's Craving/Barbarian's Revelry

Mount:
1st choice: Swift Golden Lion for both Combat power and Equip Power
2nd choice: Armored Bulette 4k deflect
3rd choice: Flail Snail 25% AP gain after using daily

Feats - Master Of Flame:

Boons:
Just take everything that helps to stay alive. Regarding the guild boons I’m using Group stats/power and HP.

Powers:
Mostly I go as the pic shows. Sometimes I slot IR/RoE instead, depending on the situation. As for class features I use Orb Of Imposition and Arcane Presence or Swath of Destruction for debuff by using my At-will Scorching Burst.

That’s it. Short and simple.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

Post edited by gankdalf#8991 on

Comments

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    What I find interesting is how different a pvp build is from a pve one.
  • Options

What I find interesting is how different a pvp build is from a pve one.

Yeah and it sucks that we dont have dual specs because the best for PvP is the worst for PvE right now. :P

• Options
    irfaanirfaan Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    thats why you're gank the unkillable - great build - Though what do your stats look like in the character sheet?
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    What about main hand and off hand aux power /feature selection ? what about armor kits ?
  • Options
    kalina311 said:

What about main hand and off hand aux power /feature selection ? what about armor kits ?

Choose what ever you like or are missing, I went with HP and 5% control from Orb of imposition on my offhand and ofc ray of frost on mainhand. :P

• Options
    stuckthrottlestuckthrottle Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    It probably doesn't need to be said, but your MoF right? Didn't see anything about Paragon Path and didn't want any rookies mistakingly choosing the wrong path. A SS could pretty much follow this same build though correct? With the exception of Swath and twisting immolation (I think), it should still be pretty straight forward?
  • Options
    engineerofevilengineerofevil Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Yep, great build. This is nearly identical to what I run with, with exception is I don't put repel on tab unless I have a pocket healer. That little bit more that bubble gives us helps. As tanky as you are, a "BiS" GF can freakin' one-rotate you unless you deflect kicks in. What do you think of shadowclad?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

It probably doesn't need to be said, but your MoF right? Didn't see anything about Paragon Path and didn't want any rookies mistakingly choosing the wrong path. A SS could pretty much follow this same build though correct? With the exception of Swath and twisting immolation (I think), it should still be pretty straight forward?

Yeah Im running MoF so I can debuff targets for my teammates. Thats also great for PvE. But I never use twisting immolation.

• Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited August 2016

Hello. I’m Gankdalf the Icehole.

My guild (Synergy) has a Youtube channel where I've been posting PvP recordings from my point of view as a CW playing with this build. You can check it out and see how it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiKklVtySXSESXGkfnWn0ow

Haven’t seen to many PvP builds on the forums so I thought I would give it a shoot and share my current build. I’m going to keep it short since I’m not a fan of typing. The build is probably not “sensational” and if you played the game for a while this might not bring you much insight.

This guide is for a Control Wizard that focus on staying alive, taking nodes, controlling and debuffing the targets. It’s a build that works best in premades with tactics and team play. If you rather solo queue and want high kill count, then this build is probably not for you. But I think pushing a player across half the map is kinda fun. Or to pushing off a whole team off the node. Be prepared to have people complain and calling you names!

Race: Halfling with +2 Dex/Char
    Ability score: Int/Wis

Stats:
    I focus on getting a minimum of 160k HP, 35-40% deflect, 10-13% Life steal and high recovery. I pick stats/boons that can keep me alive as good as possible. I don’t care at all about power, crit or armpen.

Armor set: Elemental Lionsmane Executioner
    Artifact gear set: full Valindra set or if I want to go supertanky I can go with Seldarine set with deflect/life steal + healing bonus.
    Artifact Weapons: Drowned Orb/Talisman
    Defense slots: mostly Silvery and some Radiant (I wish there was an deflect+HP enchant!)
    Offensive slots: Silvery
    Weapon Enchantment: Transcendent Terror Enchantment or Transcendent Feytouched Enchantment
    Armor Enchantment: Transcendent Elven Battle Enchantment
    Shirt/Pants: Drowcraft Tunic
    Rings: +4 or+5 Sudden deflect/defense/Life steal or 2x Rosegold Duelist Ring
    Armor kits: HP

Artifacts:
    When it comes to Artifacts I pick the ones with deflect + HP/defensive stats first hand.

Active: Oghma's Token of Free Movement (deflect+defense+control resist)
    Sigil of the Guardian (defense+deflect+AoE resist)
    Heart of the Green Dragon (deflect+regen+incoming healing)
    Shard of Valindra's Crown (power+life steal+control bonus)

Mount bonuses:
    Survivor's Blessing
    Vampire's Craving
    Champion's Return
    Gladiator's Guile
    Oppressor's Reprieve/Vampire's Craving/Barbarian's Revelry

Mount:
    1st choice: Swift Golden Lion for both Combat power and Equip Power
    2nd choice: Armored Bulette 4k deflect
    3rd choice: Flail Snail 25% AP gain after using daily

Feats - MoF:

Boons:
    Just take everything that helps to stay alive. Regarding the guild boons I’m using Group stats/power and HP.

Powers:
    Mostly I go as the pic shows. Sometimes I slot IR/RoE instead, depending on the situation. As for class features I use Orb Of Imposition and Arcane Presence or Swath of Destruction for debuff by using my At-will Scorching Burst.

That’s it. Short and simple.

edit i just noticed duelist sets dont have deflection damn but still they have recovery regen movement very good stats for a defensive build.
    Post edited by mamalion1234 on
  • Options
    jabsolumjabsolum Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Hello,

Thank you very much for this build guide.

I love PVP and am currently leveling a CW through PVP on PS4. I have followed this build guide and am having a blast controlling nodes. More often than not I come first and get a nice supply of Glory and gear whilst others chase the kill.

I was hoping that you may be able to guide me towards a budget version of this build? I don't get much playtime and although I will spend money on Zen I doubt I will be able to attain all of this gear anytime in the near future, espescially when I love PVP more than PVE.

If I was unable to get BIS gear what would be a cheaper/less time intensive gear set? I have all rank 8 enchantments so far and am wondering if any lvl 70 gear outside of PVE would work well.

• Options
    craoluscraolus Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    What companions do you have active? Does the Cantankerous Mage help with control much in PVP?
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Companions can only be used in open world pvp
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    The basic principles of this build work decently well even when applied to my PvE SS Renegade spec, which is both tankier and more focused on control than would be considered optimal so ymmv. I speak only of solo queue of course, and not of premade PvP. I don't have the deflection to be truly unkillable, but can survive decently with self-healing, and most importantly be a Repel-happy Icehole. I might work on some more defensive artifacts, which I'd mostly be selecting from class sigils because budget. My normal artifacts include a Rod of Imperial Restraint, which I am thinking I might want to make mythic and switch to my active for PvP assuming I don't get a Wheel/Oghma's, on the principle of using what you have.
    jabsolum said:

I was hoping that you may be able to guide me towards a budget version of this build? I don't get much playtime and although I will spend money on Zen I doubt I will be able to attain all of this gear anytime in the near future, espescially when I love PVP more than PVE.

Depending how soon PS4 gets access to Warborn and Grim armor in the tradebar store, that's very easy access to good gear. I forgot the Grim items had been added and have been using 2 pieces Warborn and 2 pieces Guild Duelist, which is still a nice amount of tenacity considering I've been mostly out of PvP since many modules ago.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    niadan said:

I know that summoned companions cannot help, but do the active bonuses not work either?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    craolus said:

niadan said:

I know that summoned companions cannot help, but do the active bonuses not work either?
    Companion active bonuses only work in open PvP and Siege.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    khashirkhashir Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Thanks so much for the guide-I'm new to the game (and enjoyed PvP in other MMOs), so, really appreciate this info.

Do you think this could work? I'm aiming for a cross between your build and Sharpedge's SS Thaum (PvE) one. I'm still levelling my first toon and I want to maximize daily rAD by doing PvP on top of daily dungeons/skirms. Does it have enough of the right pieces?

Hopefully by the time I hit 70, solo queue PvP will be permanent, so, there's a bit more slack for hybrid setups.
    Post edited by khashir on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Just respecced to this and it is quite fun. I don't have T. Elvan or the Drowned set yet. So far it is pretty darn fun, I'm still just having trouble staying alive in sweaty premades.

My artifacts I'm choosing among are the Sigil of Controller (another control option) and Wheel of Elements (for the extra lives). Which do you think would be better? Also, if I go wheel, which of the elements do you suggest for PVP?
  • Options
    dicoumdicoum Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    how di yo
    craolus said:

Just respecced to this and it is quite fun. I don't have T. Elvan or the Drowned set yet. So far it is pretty darn fun, I'm still just having trouble staying alive in sweaty premades.

My artifacts I'm choosing among are the Sigil of Controller (another control option) and Wheel of Elements (for the extra lives). Which do you think would be better? Also, if I go wheel, which of the elements do you suggest for PVP?

How do you find it?
  • Options
    dicoum said:

How do you find it?

I'm OK on it. I still like to do PVE so I miss the damage there. The play style of the build is for control, so the biggest difference for me came in the valindras set (cheapest way is through lostmauth trade in btw) and putting points in Orb of Imposition and Arcane Presence. So many people are control immune, so the Oppressor Capstone and Ray of Frost feat are the only real thing we gain from going that feat path vs Thaum/Op. I'm probably going to respec back to Thaum/Op but just make sure I have points in the right powers that allow me to play PVP.

The other big change was all the defensive boons. They helped some, but I'm still super squishy. I think once I get the drowned set and take another look at my mount powers it will make a difference without costing me an arm and a leg.
  • Options
    craolus said:

dicoum said:

How do you find it?

I'm OK on it. I still like to do PVE so I miss the damage there. The play style of the build is for control, so the biggest difference for me came in the valindras set (cheapest way is through lostmauth trade in btw) and putting points in Orb of Imposition and Arcane Presence. So many people are control immune, so the Oppressor Capstone and Ray of Frost feat are the only real thing we gain from going that feat path vs Thaum/Op. I'm probably going to respec back to Thaum/Op but just make sure I have points in the right powers that allow me to play PVP.

The other big change was all the defensive boons. They helped some, but I'm still super squishy. I think once I get the drowned set and take another look at my mount powers it will make a difference without costing me an arm and a leg.
    Which would you say are the key elements (powers/feats) for PvP? I'm also aiming for a Thaum/Opp PvE build, but would like to shift some choices around, to get the core PvP stuff. Right now, I have this build in mind.
  • Options
    khashir said:

Which would you say are the key elements (powers/feats) for PvP? I'm also aiming for a Thaum/Opp PvE build, but would like to shift some choices around, to get the core PvP stuff. Right now, I have this build in mind.

Check out this for feats for Thaum/Op: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GBmw_bjgSrdkEnQ8GR_N5HgIuEfcvOxXXGDd7cJr-0Y/pub#h.19c6y18

I'll defer to others more experience for the key elements of PVP.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    craolus said:

khashir said:

Check out this for feats for Thaum/Op: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GBmw_bjgSrdkEnQ8GR_N5HgIuEfcvOxXXGDd7cJr-0Y/pub#h.19c6y18

I'll defer to others more experience for the key elements of PVP.
    Thanks for the info—that's the guide I'm using for PvE ;-). What I'm trying to do is have a viable PvE/PvP build—obviously won't be optimal in either, but as long as it's good enough, I'll be happy.

In asking you, I was curious based on this part in your post:

"I'm probably going to respec back to Thaum/Op but just make sure I have points in the right powers that allow me to play PVP."

As in, based on your experience, which would be the right powers/feats (I.e., which have you found most useful and indispensable)?
  • Options
    This PVP spec is based on control. There are a few things that help with control in a big way, Orb of Imposition and Valindra Set. So do your spec for Thaum/Op PVE, but just keep power points in Orb and in Arcane Presence (for the recharge speed on your control encounters). The main at-will for PVP is Ray of Frost, and you get an awesome benefit to that from the Opp tree that you won't have as a Thaum and you lose Shatter as well. But I feel like those are not a HUGE loss to PVP whereas going Opp is a huge loss to PVE. The powers in this guide you can still use with Thaum/Op, so just make sure you have plenty of power poitns in them and run it the same way he has. You'll just have a different feat tree.
  • Options
    nezdin#5514 nezdin Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    @ejziponken

Very interesting guide. I have one question though that is bugging me. Why Tran. Elven Battle and not Trans Negation? Is the build so tanky that it can handle attacks from GFs or BiS DPS-CWs for instance ? GF has his shield, DPS-CW may wear TRans EB...Negation seems more intuitive to me, but I may be wrong.
    Nezdin (DC)
    Aelan Icebleed (CW)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    craolus said:

This PVP spec is based on control. There are a few things that help with control in a big way, Orb of Imposition and Valindra Set. So do your spec for Thaum/Op PVE, but just keep power points in Orb and in Arcane Presence (for the recharge speed on your control encounters). The main at-will for PVP is Ray of Frost, and you get an awesome benefit to that from the Opp tree that you won't have as a Thaum and you lose Shatter as well. But I feel like those are not a HUGE loss to PVP whereas going Opp is a huge loss to PVE. The powers in this guide you can still use with Thaum/Op, so just make sure you have plenty of power poitns in them and run it the same way he has. You'll just have a different feat tree.

Hey @craolus, thanks for the thoughts! Sorry for the late reply, I just realized you wrote back!

Yeah, that's the idea: try to get the core pvp feats, while having a pve build.

So far, the major setback (other than not being geared for pvp) has been remembering to change Class Features at the end of the match (since they're passive, harder to notice than powers. So, I forgot to switch back Chilling Presence and Storm Spell, and didn't realize until I noticed that mobs were living much longer than usual...)

• Options
    Updated the guide today.

@ejziponken

Very interesting guide. I have one question though that is bugging me. Why Tran. Elven Battle and not Trans Negation? Is the build so tanky that it can handle attacks from GFs or BiS DPS-CWs for instance ? GF has his shield, DPS-CW may wear TRans EB...Negation seems more intuitive to me, but I may be wrong.

I like Elven because being controlled gets me killed.

Yes, MoF because of the debuffs. You cant do lots of damage but you can help your team to do more.