test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TR patch notes - smoke bomb buggy interaction fix?

sh00termcl0vinsh00termcl0vin Member Posts: 287 Arc User
I noticed in the TR patchnotes the only thing that was changed was the tooltip for lurkers assault. I was wondering if any changes were planned for fixing the buggy interaction that smoke bomb has with not triggering first strike? I'm not sure if this is caused by server lag or some other general problem. Is it possible to just set first strike to trigger on use of any damaging at will or encounter in combat? It seems like this would fix the issue. I know it's not a huge deal in PVE content, but in PVP it causes a multitude of headaches and gives an unfair advantage.

Comments

• Options
    macjae said:

Smoke Bomb has a lot of issues it comes with, though. First Strike not applying is secondary to a couple of other things.

The most important in PvP terms is that Smoke Bomb isn't always visible at first, which means you often can't tell whether you're in the area or not, so you can get screwed without knowing what hit you.

The second most important thing is that it's an especially strong cc effect in PvP because the duration isn't affected by Tenacity. Ideally, to reflect the effect that Tenacity has on all other cc effects, the duration should be shortened by about 40-45%, or players should be given immunity to the daze from Smoke Bomb after being affected by it.

Fix those things first, then First Strike can apply.

Those aren't bugs just the nature of how the power works..... It is visible and dodgeable, and not only that it has an activation sound where you can hear it being deployed making it easier to avoid. As far as the bomb not being effected by tenacity, your wrong on that regard. The slowing effect when used from stealth is effected but the stun component isn't. This is WAI however since other AOE stuns like Oppressive force follow the same rules (how can you become un-stunned when your standing in a red circle of stun?). Anyway your kind of off topic here. The major problem is how it is currently being exploited in PVP when used in combination with first strike. That should be fixed primarily as it's a known exploit being used presently and is becoming a bigger issue in PVP.

• Options
    trentbail21trentbail21 Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Ya on xbox its an epidemic really with all the rogues wearing ambush rings. For some reason they can drop the smoke bomb.. stun the enemy and quickly go stealth and dunk before the first tick of the smoke bomb hits. If you want my opinion that initial stun from the smoke bomb should break the first strike then and there. That sounds pretty much like a first strike or FIRST HIT you know.
    Find me in game if you want and send me a domination/ gaunt invite. If you are good and im not busy ill play with you. Im not an elitist ill play with almost anyone.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Sometimes you have to wonder if any specific interaction is a bug or something that was designed that way because of the thought that permitting an AoE to apply X is too strong in PvE.

That seems to be the rationale for TR powers that don't apply weapon enchants, and Shadow of Demise either not applying or applying to one randomly determined target (depends on the AoE power used).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Sometimes you have to wonder if any specific interaction is a bug or something that was designed that way because of the thought that permitting an AoE to apply X is too strong in PvE.

That seems to be the rationale for TR powers that don't apply weapon enchants, and Shadow of Demise either not applying or applying to one randomly determined target (depends on the AoE power used).

It definitely doesn't seem like it was designed that way because it will trigger first strike, just not right away. I think it was more of an oversight in how the powers interact rather than any actual mistake on the devs part (probably because rogues don't have very many AOE attacks). I would like to see some feedback however if this is not the case *hint* *hint*
  • Options
    zerogravityv0zerogravityv0 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Every TR on xbox uses this and needs to be fixed. They are hitting for over 190k without fray. With the smoke bomb first strike glitch you are dead with no chance to dodge because you are in smoke bomb
  • Options
    archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    TR may be in the next batch of balancing or the one after that. This time around they focused on the classes that are perceived to need it most, SW/HR/GF. If the developers are able to keep to their schedule of 'Class Balance coming this year' then its reasonable to expect a balance pass on the remaining classes over the next 6 months.

*X's fngrs*
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I would like for them to fix enchantments to work with smoke bomb again.

Lightning
    Bilethorn
    Plague fire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Smoke bomb itself is fine,
    But the bugs with it are not...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    trentbail21trentbail21 Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    GWFs/SW and ROGUES Need the most fixing. Tanks will get fixed this mod hopefully.
    Find me in game if you want and send me a domination/ gaunt invite. If you are good and im not busy ill play with you. Im not an elitist ill play with almost anyone.
  • Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    Smoke bomb absolutely needs the invis bug fixed. The good pvp'er listen for it and watch the animation but I suppose it can trick less skilled/experienced players

as far as duration, fix elven battle first. As is everyone just walks out of smoke bomb, plus there is a delay from when you press to when it activates. so good players dodge out of it then.

actually if you fix the activation pause I could get behind a duration nerf
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User

I think you are right on this one becky but they could use another look though since I think alot of decisions were made a while ago.
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"