test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Baphomet's Wall of Stone is cheap and annoying

two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
Each week when the Ballad of Baphomet weekly quest resets, I'm reminded how annoying Baphomet's Wall of Stone ability is.
  1. It ignores control immunity.
  2. It hits outside the red warning-circle.
Neither of these issues prevent me from completing the quest solo, but it's bad gameplay. For my Oathbound Paladin, I don't even bother trying to escape the red circle. I just keep swinging until the walls encase me, then twiddle my thumbs waiting to be released.

I reported these issues back when Maze Engine was in-development, so I know that it's Working-as-Intended or Working-as-Acceptable. Still annoying.
Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.

Comments

• Options
    wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    I can only agree with you, for me it seems oghma's artefact helps. I just cant remember if it removed the stoneblock or made immune but only one of those two.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    You can avoid it for non-shield classes, but the red zone is noticeably larger than it shows (50% to 100% larger, I think).

But, yeah, it's just a kick-to-the-nuts design. Thanks, devs!
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    yes, i noticed those too, i was outside of red effects and still get hurt no matter how far away you tried.
    i call that BS!
    it is very unfriendly to those playing clerics if they solo, that is too long. i have seen so many players who played clerics/healers needing help.
    i personally dont like seeing Celestre healing the demon boss few times before i was able to reach her to get her out. dont like longer fights because of the hostile healers when i want to kill them faster and move on to next missions.
    devs should consider taking the healers from those battles because those bosses have massive health.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,096 Arc User
    I ran Ballad on my GF yesterday. First call in was Xuna. Smoke Cloud, Wall of Stone, Smoke Cloud, Wall of Stone, etc. Fight took a half hour.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    LOL, yeah, doing it with my DC yesterday, had the ultra magical combo; first Xuna, then Celeste. ugh
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Well I like it..

=P.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    I once had Celeste, followed by Linu, with Drizz at the end.

I honeslty felt that the game was trying to punish me for some past misdeed.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Because I are slow to finish the campaign the first time, I've only had access to this quest for all of two weeks. I think Minsc is the worst add for me. Chain-prones are not my favorite.... Most of them, I'm kind of used to fighting from Phantasmal Fortress.

Oh... uh... am I doing it wrong by just killing the NPCs as soon as possible after they spawn in?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    spike#5569 spike Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Don't know if its wrong Becky, but its opposite of my gf approach. I ignore everything and hack away. Doesn't take too long nor too much health. Besides, i'm not quick enough to avoid the stone splat anyways.
  • Options
    A new annoyance! It's possible to get knocked onto the glowing perimeter wall. I was stuck "prone", wiggling my feet in the air and taking damage. Eventually, my character died, then Soulforge revived my character, but I was still stuck in the air and eventually died a second time.

• Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    I run my dc, cw, sw, hr , gf and gwf through this, with all varying degrees of builds/i level. However, anybody say, above 2.5k I level should be able to solo this with no issues, as long as your built right.

I fail to see what the issue is here.

Its actually something that makes me think on my lower alts. I of course, wouldnt try this on my unbooned, ungeared alts , carrying lessers around.. but still.

I prefer to leave something semi tough in game, no need to remove anything on this.
  • Options

I run my dc, cw, sw, hr , gf and gwf through this, with all varying degrees of builds/i level. However, anybody say, above 2.5k I level should be able to solo this with no issues, as long as your built right.

Its actually something that makes me think on my lower alts. I of course, wouldnt try this on my unbooned, ungeared alts , carrying lessers around.. but still.

I prefer to leave something semi tough in game, no need to remove anything on this.

Yes, obviously the best way to give us the challenge we desire is to let enemy attacks ignore control immunity, make the red telegraphs misleading, and shape the arena's geometry so that characters get stuck in midair.

I've never had a character reach 2500 ilvl, yet as I said in my original post, I solo this encounter every week. However, my success or failure is irrelevant, as this is bad design.
  • Options

This isn't a cry for a nerf. It's a cry for boss powers that actually follow game logic, such as it were.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options

"Haha, screw you" is not a good game design way of making something "tough".
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    zibadawa said:

"Haha, **** you" is not a good game design way of making something "tough".
    Couldn't have put it more eloquently myself. Well said!
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    I don't mind tough.. I hate annoying.
    I avoid Baphomet for this reason alone.
    Double his damage? Double his health? I don't care, just get that HAMSTER out of there, or get it fixed. PLEASE!
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Well, the guy *is* a demon prince. We're supposed to be at least a little bit scared of him. :)
  • Options
    jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    greywynd said:

I ran Ballad on my GF yesterday. First call in was Xuna. Smoke Cloud, Wall of Stone, Smoke Cloud, Wall of Stone, etc. Fight took a half hour.

lol ouch!

• Options
    I had the opportunity yesterday to run this quest for the first time on an HR.

All the other classes I've gotten to this point can dodge and keep moving (or just sprint) and *usually* avoid the Wall. Not so the HR with the current short dodge distance.

I can imagine how obnoxious this is with a character that has nothing but a block mechanic that doesn't work here.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,096 Arc User
    ...and then you get Xuna with the Smoke Cloud, followed by the Wall of Stone. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    Bump. I hate this attack.

I believe the problem with the red circle isnt really its size but rather the game deciding weither you will be affected or not several seconds before the animation occurs.

My GWF can sprint extremely fast (bravery + gladiator's guile + movement enchantments). I remember sprinting to the opposite side of the room just before the attack and getting encased in stone nonetheless.
  • Options
    rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    two30 said:

Each week when the Ballad of Baphomet weekly quest resets, I'm reminded how annoying Baphomet's Wall of Stone ability is.

1. It ignores control immunity.
    2. It hits outside the red warning-circle.
    Neither of these issues prevent me from completing the quest solo, but it's bad gameplay. For my Oathbound Paladin, I don't even bother trying to escape the red circle. I just keep swinging until the walls encase me, then twiddle my thumbs waiting to be released.

I reported these issues back when Maze Engine was in-development, so I know that it's Working-as-Intended or Working-as-Acceptable. Still annoying.
    MY CW and HR can avoid by using dash/teleport even inside the area if you time it well

As GF i use "Line Breaker Assault" on Baphomet if i can reach his back i'm safe (almost everytime)

As GWF i cant avoid (but this is my main toons so he can survive) i never tryied to use that Jump power (can't remember the name) that one maybe works to scape if you really need ...
  • Options
    rafaelda said:

MY CW and HR can avoid by using dash/teleport even inside the area if you time it well

As GF i use "Line Breaker Assault" on Baphomet if i can reach his back i'm safe (almost everytime)

As GWF i cant avoid (but this is my main toons so he can survive) i never tryied to use that Jump power (can't remember the name) that one maybe works to scape if you really need ...

My GWF can sprint out of the area no problem, with no significant movement boosters. You just have to sprint really far outside of it and do it right away.
  • Options
    Ahoy @panderus - You mentioned in discussion about EF damage on preview that it initially wasn't respecting proper immunities because it had not been flagged to do so. Wall of Stone does not respect expected immunities either, and it would be nice to know if this is a bug/missing flags or intended and justified because he's Baphomet and is just that big of a jerk. Regardless, the red splat should be larger since you can be outside of the area drawn and still get held.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    FYI. This is still annoying.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!