test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elemental Evil Campaign

unknowndramaunknowndrama Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
edited May 2016 in PvE Discussion
So i didnt done more or less then i needed any vigilant quests before whit my chars i level up in mod 6 to 70 through old daily campaign quests invokes and grinding giants in spinward so now after changing elemental evil in to a campaign i find it more grinding and worst then old vigilant quests on last change when they reduced..so we need to do 200 quests that we neder read and just click to get to new ones faster for all zones just to unlock boon for the "new campaign" ...if is something that i hate is campaign...no more campaign give us better new and old dungeons back..
By the way i got 7 level 70 chars that i play so 200 x7 thats 1400 quests to do...this games is not even close to alt friendly..my sugestion is if you want to make campaign account wide if you compleat whit at least one char all campaign...

Comments

• dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User

So i didnt done more or less then i needed any vigilant quests before whit my chars i level up in mod 6 to 70 through old daily campaign quests invokes and grinding giants in spinward so now after changing elemental evil in to a campaign i find it more grinding and worst then old vigilant quests on last change when they reduced..

No actually grind is lesser now since I did both old and new EE storyline but farming those 20+ campaign thingies make it tideous.Bad thing is that we cant choose what quests to do and what to skip anymore.

By the way i got 7 level 70 chars that i play so 200 x7 thats 1400 quests to do...this games is not even close to alt friendly..my sugestion is if you want to make campaign account wide if you compleat whit at least one char all campaign...

I totaly agree with this part
  • unknowndramaunknowndrama Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User

So i didnt done more or less then i needed any vigilant quests before whit my chars i level up in mod 6 to 70 through old daily campaign quests invokes and grinding giants in spinward so now after changing elemental evil in to a campaign i find it more grinding and worst then old vigilant quests on last change when they reduced..so we need to do 200 quests that we neder read and just click to get to new ones faster for all zones just to unlock boon for the "new campaign" ...if is something that i hate is campaign...no more campaign give us better new and old dungeons back..

My misstake..to much rage on questing misscounting there are like 80 quests for all zones but still if you got many alts that you play all this numbers add and whit so many other campaigns to do it gets very depressing if you like to play difrent classes so will be great if campaign will be acc wide after you compleat on one char
  • mckibben#9750 mckibben Member Posts: 4 New User
    I agree on a lot of this. I am a new-ish player but have leveled four characters to 70 in the past two months. I did the EE quests the old way and the new way literally back to back.

The new way feels much more tedious to me. Before I had the illusion of variety, now players have to do the quest in a linear storyline that feels extremely redundant. For instance, I believe there were three seperate times I had to go to the Slaad dungeon in spinward. Why the hell was I not saving the sacrificial victims the first time I went there and saw them hanging there, wondering what the hell?

The new one forces you to make several trips to the same areas to kill the same monsters. Also, most of it is mandatory. Before you could pick the ones to work on to be as efficient as possible. There is no way my first character could have solo'd the magma brutes in the fire zone.

As for campaigns, I ignored them at first - expecting a lot of grind for little reward. I've been working on them with my wizard, but absolutely will not be advancing my other characters through them.

The only good thing elemental evil had going was that there weren't these strange lockouts. Why the hell is content limited for players ? If I want to play through an entire campaign I should be able to do that. Not one or two quests a day.

For such a compelling intellectual property and dynamic gameplay, some of the content design is completely asinine.
  • mckibben#9750 mckibben Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited May 2016
    Also - how this matters to cryptic, I've spent several hundred dollars on zen since starting the game in late March. ( a lot of it was stupid <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> purchases that I regret - like the ghost companion ). But making an end game that is so tedious and unobtainable, means that some of the players who have the money to spend, won't be sticking around to spend it. I stopped investing in my other characters. Why ? Because there is no way in hell that I will replay these campaign.

Let me just also put this out there that I do actually like the game since advancing into the campaigns. But the needless lockouts and redundancy create a barrier for replayability.
  • cesoso55cesoso55 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2016

The new one forces you to make several trips to the same areas to kill the same monsters. Also, most of it is mandatory. Before you could pick the ones to work on to be as efficient as possible. There is no way my first character could have solo'd the magma brutes in the fire zone.

Knowing how to build and equip your character can make a great difference in performance. I remember doing the fiery pit about a year ago with my first character, a gwf, without a guide, only white apprentice healer, white mount, no artifacts, blue generic weapon, no life steal, etc; for example soloing Vanifer boss fight in fiery pit felt truly epic with that setup, it took me around 15-20 min where she could one shot me with her aoe spell and the trash there could be deadly as well.

Now one year later i come with a Dc, with purple healer companion, some artifacts, some build clue, ensorcelled weapon; first 2 boons from drowned and reclamation; the fight no even took 3 min, little risk involved, easy.

When you have a decent equiped and builded character, you can solo the campaigns easily, for example with my cleric alt, i was able to finish one zone campaing of elemental evil in 1-2 days of 2-3 hours per day without rush. (Having gear that increase your Hitpoints and life steal (if no healer) and a healer companion make the things much easier, with a dps focused build as well).
  • nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    The content is easier to do with better equip, but it is still extremely redundant. And these lockout timers. Old campaign content should not have such crazy lockout timers, like tyranny for example.
  • willson#2163 willson Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    I truly dislike this one. I had to do this with 6 characters because I levelled to 70 with killing fomorians.
    I did with 1 so far...
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    it took to me 5 toons between 6.5-8.5 hours to finish, depending how much credit they gave me, typically, for some reason only spinward was given to me, (except for my dc, i got credit for 2 reclamation rocks and nothing else.. even though that was my first toon through and I know i did a whole bunch more then that!)

its annoying because of the following and no other real reason..
    Con's:

A. WE already did this HAMSTER and didnt want to go back and
    B. Dropping a additional campaign , right after we finished maze, was a little disturbing, this is usually our "free" time to catch up alts boons, work on other gear ect, giving us 40-50 hours extra of boon grinding was a little distasteful overall.

The pro's to the con's above is the following:

A. New players will experience a much more fluid story telling (it really was laid out better)
    B. if they are going to keep those old crappy zones, they might as well make them worth doing.

But its more to the poor vet's who got hammered redoing content we already did, for no real reason (its not like we needed more boons)

So why wasnt my FIRST 40-50 hours of grind through these places enough? I say anyone who got the weapon in spinward shouldve just been giving the entire campaign.. that would have fixed the problem of many of us not getting enough credit for what we did originally.
  • dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    I have redone entire EE with GWF character recently.

It is not as closely annoying as initial system with 16 * 3 = 48 vigilant quests.

There were no significant issues with fetch quests. Though due explicit requirement to collect items or kills, story and lore matters very little and overshadowed with fetch quest grind in higher degree compared to vigilant quest system where player could choose only specific missions to progress. Also i want to notice that certain fetch quest objectives are contested all time by players, so it might feel bottleneck on densely populated instances. New players rather stick to instance where game puts them.

Compared to my previous vigilant quest experience, i did little to no smaller heroics as they don't play a role in progression anymore. I question a purpose of these small encounters, they waste space on map and annoy players with their quest objectives. Bigger ones are supposed to be engaged by level 70 players, but the time i played in Drowning Shore no one did Crab, state of Fire Pit major heroic was depressing as well. So the idea of gather new and old players in one place seems don't work if it is not backed by rewards. If mod 8 elemental weapons were BoE and could be sold with AH, it would different, but game never gave that opportunity, instead it is Cryptic sells these weapons through lock boxes.

Certain things could be done better, but they didn't:

- One quest per one lair quest location. Sending 3 times to same location is wrong.
    - Quests could be a chain of "point of interest" locations where player are directed and then summon mobs to fight.
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    I agree. Under the Vigilance system you could pick up a lair task, wait until the hour changed, pick up the second lair task and do both at the same time. That was much better.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    Picking up a quest on one day, waiting until the next day and picking up the same one in that zone is how I play Dread Ring, Sharandar, and Ice Wind Dale. Especially if you need to travel to the far end of the map (IWD Sleepwalkers, Cairns, and DreadWights) I assume many others play with a similar mindset. Not having the ability to do that on EE is fairly annoying, considering even with a purple mount, you spend a lot of time traveling around the map.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    If you don't travel you can't sightsee.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    Traveling isn't about the journey, it's about the destination; :p Beam me up, Scotty and get me there already.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I hate questing..... I wish I could buy my boons with zen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    cesoso55 said:

Knowing how to build and equip your character can make a great difference in performance. I remember doing the fiery pit about a year ago with my first character, a gwf, without a guide, only white apprentice healer, white mount, no artifacts, blue generic weapon, no life steal, etc; for example soloing Vanifer boss fight in fiery pit felt truly epic with that setup, it took me around 15-20 min where she could one shot me with her aoe spell and the trash there could be deadly as well.

Now one year later i come with a Dc, with purple healer companion, some artifacts, some build clue, ensorcelled weapon; first 2 boons from drowned and reclamation; the fight no even took 3 min, little risk involved, easy.

When you have a decent equiped and builded character, you can solo the campaigns easily, for example with my cleric alt, i was able to finish one zone campaing of elemental evil in 1-2 days of 2-3 hours per day without rush. (Having gear that increase your Hitpoints and life steal (if no healer) and a healer companion make the things much easier, with a dps focused build as well).
    The Vanifer fight also got a significant difficulty reduction from when EE launched.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia