test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mail Limits

thuddriverthuddriver Member Posts: 9 Arc User
I'm a level 69 Warlock and I have 6 emails with attachments in my in-game mail account. The system informs me I must delete a message before I can receive more in-coming mail. When I played before using another account my level 70 characters had about 15 messages in the mail account. Why am I being limited to only 6 in my new account? How do I get more authorized? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    The mail system is account wide. So, for instance, if a mail is addressed to @accountname, all characters with that suffix can see it. If its addressed to bob@accountname, only the character bob can see it.

Check to see if other characters on the account have items stored in their email. You may have hit an account limit.
  • Options
    sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    The limit is 100 spots per account. Anything from the AH or that is from Cryptic to an individual character does not apply. Overall there is also an upper limit to the number of mails (whether you have items or not).

Anything sent to a character by another player or yourself will be visible account wide.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,301 Arc User
    There is a separate limit of mail that contains attachment. I am sure it is not 100. 15 is about right as the limit of the mail that contains attachment for a the whole account.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    As I understand it, the limit is 100 attachments (a stack counts as ONE attachment) - up to 5 per email, which means a max of 20 emails that contain the full allotment of 5 attachments each. When that is reached, you cannot use the mail system at all. Mails sent by players are account-wide. AH emails, either expiration or wins are character only and do not count toward that total and afaik mails without attachments also don't count - though there's probably some theoretical upper limit. If such a limit exists, I've never heard about it.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    litaaers said:

The mail system is account wide. So, for instance, if a mail is addressed to @accountname, all characters with that suffix can see it. If its addressed to bob@accountname, only the character bob can see it.

Check to see if other characters on the account have items stored in their email. You may have hit an account limit.

This isn't really true. Items mailed to you by anything other than an in-game system (like the AH or a level-up reward) will be available account-wide regardless of how they were addressed. If you have attachments taking up space from yourself or other players, they will be viewable on any character.

20 messages with attachments are allowed, and a message with 1 item takes up the same space as one with 5. 100 attachments is your max, if you only store messages with 5 items. AH messages don't count.

Some players have issues with mailed items somehow being inaccessible, but still counting towards their limit. The system registers that there is a message with an attachment somewhere, but the player cannot see it. I have no idea how to resolve this.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Some players have issues with mailed items somehow being inaccessible, but still counting towards their limit. The system registers that there is a message with an attachment somewhere, but the player cannot see it. I have no idea how to resolve this.

The chance is the one you blacklist/ignored send you an attachment. You don't see that mail until you un-block that person.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User

litaaers said:

This isn't really true. Items mailed to you by anything other than an in-game system (like the AH or a level-up reward) will be available account-wide regardless of how they were addressed. If you have attachments taking up space from yourself or other players, they will be viewable on any character.

20 messages with attachments are allowed, and a message with 1 item takes up the same space as one with 5. 100 attachments is your max, if you only store messages with 5 items. AH messages don't count.

I stand corrrected Becky. I could have sworn that I had issues seeing emails addressed to specific characters from my other characters. I may have been thinking about AH emails.

Thanks!
  • Options
    thuddriver#2220 thuddriver Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    From reading all of the above, it appears that 20 messages with or without attachments is the upper limit on stored messages. In my case I have six stored messages containing 30 attachment and the system will not let receive any more mail until I delete one of the stored messages. So something is definitely wrong here. Six messages is a lot less than twenty. I'm hoping someone in authority will look into this and fix it. I also filed an in-game bug report. In the interim, if anybody knows of a work-around for this issue, I'd be thankful.
  • Options

From reading all of the above, it appears that 20 messages with or without attachments is the upper limit on stored messages. In my case I have six stored messages containing 30 attachment and the system will not let receive any more mail until I delete one of the stored messages. So something is definitely wrong here. Six messages is a lot less than twenty. I'm hoping someone in authority will look into this and fix it. I also filed an in-game bug report. In the interim, if anybody knows of a work-around for this issue, I'd be thankful.

1. Do you have another character(s) in the same account? Did you check the mail of the other characters? The limit is account wide.
    2. Did you ban anyone? The banned person(s) could send you an email with attachment. You cannot see that email but that mail counts for the limit.
  • Options
    carianne9carianne9 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    If I read it correctly above, I think someone posted that AH emails are visible to all characters. That is not correct. AH emails are only visible to the character who setup the item for auction or made the purchase. Moving on . . .

Any emails with no attachments do not count toward this 100 item/20 email limit. And I think of it as a 20-email limit, not 100 items, because what matters is the # of emails with anything attached. So 20 emails with 1 item each counts the same as 20 emails with 5.

Aside from AH, I only have emails sending items from one character to another. So to see how close I am to the limit, I sort by the name/sender. Then I count the # of emails with attachments. With 19, I'm ok. Once I send #20, the mailbox indicator at the top of the screen goes red, and something has to be removed.

Maybe that little suggestion will help, unless you have other emails from other people . . . good luck. Post an update when you get a solution, I'm curious why you are having this problem

• Options
    I do not have another character on this account, and I did not ban anyone. One important fact I inadvertently omitted. This issue began immediately after the maze engine became operational. Before that my mail system was normal. So there is a direct connection between the activation of the maze engine content and the problem I'm experiencing with mail.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User

The chance is the one you blacklist/ignored send you an attachment. You don't see that mail until you un-block that person.
    Does that mean you could grief someone that's ignored you by sending them a bunch of mails with junk attached or do you mean this happens when someone has sent you stuff and later on you ignored them?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    kvet said:

Does that mean you could grief someone that's ignored you by sending them a bunch of mails with junk attached or do you mean this happens when someone has sent you stuff and later on you ignored them?
    Sssssshhhh! ... it is at least former before ... but that may be fixed now.

Guidie A borrowed some profession workers/tools from Guildie B.
    When A finished what he did, he mailed the stuff back to B.
    However, B was not online often and A did not get a hold of B.
    When A finally asked B in TS regarding the stuff, B said he did not have it.
    A's heart sank and tried to figure out where the stuff went to.
    Finally, B found out he accidentally banned A (probably in the time when those junk friend request kept on popping up).
    B unbanned A and got the stuff back.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    Try looking at your mail from the gateway.

Not sure if it still works this way, but I had a problem with number of mails/attachments over a year ago, and I was able to see and delete mails from the gateway that were not visible from the game for some reason. This freed up enough space that I was able to see all my mails, with attachments, that were not showing due to being over the limit of total messages. In my case, I had some attachments that weren't showing up in game, but they were "queued" so to speak, not missing, I just had to get under the total limit before they reappeared.

• Options
    Yes, the gateway is the answer. I had ocer 20 messages there due to the numerous test messages I sent from one account to this account. I deleted them and I now have 16 messages with attachments. However, I logged in to the game and my in-game mail still only shows the 5 most recent messages. How do I gain access to the remaining 11 messages as I want to use some of the attachments?
  • Options
    okeepheokeephe Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
    I have 5 characters, and I can send 2 mail with attachments, total, between my characters. I used to send 15 or so, but I have had items go missing in the mail system, and each time it happens, I lose another slot.

I have nothing in my mailbox, on ANY character, and I can send 2 mail to my other characters, period. I have tickets in on this, and they have replaced a few of the items that went missing, but won't do it anymore, even though the mail system keeps stealing from me.

They have referred the issue to the 'devs'/
  • Options

Yes, the gateway is the answer. I had ocer 20 messages there due to the numerous test messages I sent from one account to this account. I deleted them and I now have 16 messages with attachments. However, I logged in to the game and my in-game mail still only shows the 5 most recent messages. How do I gain access to the remaining 11 messages as I want to use some of the attachments?

@thuddriver#2220 I'm glad the gateway worked. I'm sort of surprised you can only see 5 messages, unless they all have attachments. I guess if there's nothing else to delete from the gateway (can't claim attachments there), I would try claiming any and all attachments from the mail you have in-game and delete the messages, to see if it opens up the next 5? It might take a little time - maybe logging would help - but if you can see them in the gateway, they're not gone, so that's something!

@okeephe - did you read the previous posts in this thread for some answers; there are limits to the number of attachment messages and total messages. Try the gateway suggestion to see if you have mail from either blocked characters or over the limits.
  • Options
    I believe the limit is 20 messages and 100 attachments. In my case I have a total of 16 messages and less than 80 attachments. So I don't think exceeding the limits is a factor here. I will try claiming the attachments as suggested. But again, before the Maze Engine roll out I had 10 messages showing in-game and now I have only 6. Also, since that update I can no longer send messages from my other account to this account. I can send messages to my other account from this one however. That issue was sent in as a bug report. Looks like the maze engine update screwed up the mail system, as least for me.
  • Options
    Update. I claimed all attachments from the 5 messages in my in-game inbox and deleted the messages. I exited the game then re-entered. My inbox is empty - nothing inported from the Gateway. The Gateway mail box now has only 11 messages instead of 16 with the 5 I deleted in-game also removed from Gateway. So this experiment didn't work. I'm at a loss.
  • Options
    Wow, that is more than frustrating. I'm afraid I'm at a loss, too. The correlation with the Maze Engine rollout is interesting. I wonder if any others have this problem but haven't yet noticed.

I would guess the next step is to open a support ticket, outline what you've done, send screenshots of gateway mail (at least you have that!) and hope they can unblock whatever it is that is blocking the messages. I know there are many complaints about cs, but I've had good luck with outlining the exact problem, being polite, and responding to the initial "auto-response" with whatever info they ask. It will likely take a couple of inquiries and responding with the same info you already sent, but that's the way they can weed out the people who are just trying to get something without proof.

I'd be interested to hear how this shakes out. Good luck!
  • Options
    I submitted a ticket two days ago but they have not contacted me yet. Of course if they ask for a screen shot of my gateway mail I'll provide it. I'll post what happens here.
  • Options
    @okeephe - did you read the previous posts in this thread for some answers; there are limits to the number of attachment messages and total messages. Try the gateway suggestion to see if you have mail from either blocked characters or over the limits.

I haven't been able to get on gateway since android deemed it a security risk.

Besides, the mail seems to be disappearing when I send to or from one character in particular, but I have no idea how to 'clear' the lost messages. I am missing lots of items, which is how I know.

I put in tickets, and the replaced a few items, but never cleared the mail slots, and then said they would refer the issue to the 'devs'.

My 'limit' for sending messages to and from my own characters is 2.

• Options
    Ok, I went into the gateway, onteh PC, and three were two messages from a blocked person. 1 was a rant, the other an apology with some items. I cleared the messages, still the same.
  • Options
    Hm - well, glad that you were able to clear out a couple messages that were blocking total messages, at least. On the gateway, are you able to see the messages with the items attached? As @beckylunatic said, 20 messages with attachments are allowed, and a message with 1 item takes up the same space as one with 5. 100 attachments is your max, if you only store messages with 5 items. AH messages don't count.

So is it possible that the one character you can't send to has 18 messages with attachments? If possible, try clearing out the messages in that character's inbox, retrieving all the attachments, and see if that clears up your "queue".

Otherwise, it would appear you're in the same situation as @thuddriver and need to pursue the support ticket route. Wish I knew some other way to help.
  • Options
    I now have 3 slots available, after clearing the one with attachements , yesterday.

None of my characters have any messages in their inbox, either in game or on the gateway, now.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that all the 'lost' messages or to or from one character. Not sure why.

Also, the times that I actually caught a message going missing, it seemed to be when I was mailing a new item that had just come out of some kind of lockbox or cache. Something that I had just received on one character that was better for another.

I have already gone through the ticket system, and the issue is now, basically, dead.

As I mentioned, they replaced a few of the items, when I caught it getting stuck, but that is a 'one time' thing so now they refuse to replace any items, and I have only 3 slots with which to mail things between my 5 characters, all who are crafters.
  • Options
    I am sorry - if I were you, I would probably open a new ticket regarding the fact that you can only mail 3 items between your characters. Show screen shots of the empty mailboxes, and the message saying you can't mail any more items to the character (make sure to note dates & times, they go back in logs to see what happened).

I would also post this in the bug reports section of the forum. I know it's not always helpful, but at least maybe others have this problem and can add details to help.
  • Options
    Update. Support responded to my ticket and the first thing they asked for was a screen shot of my gateway mail inbox and my ingame mail box. They then suggested I should delete all messages in the ingame inbox to "allow the gateway messages to flow", even though I told them I had already done that with no success. I guess they don't study the tickets they receive really hard. They then asked me to list every message in my gateway inbox (17 messages) by date and time posted, and all attachments individually. After submitting the requested data they then informed me they were elevating my ticket to Development and will let me know the outcome. I'm not holding my breath.

So it appears this is it. If anything further happens I'll post an update, although it sure looks like I'm screwed.